As Quickly As the Wind Passes

As Quickly As the Wind Passes

The wind passed through the unusually dense yet beautiful forest. One could hear its whispers at the leaves and its light presence called for the attention of the living. The wind gathered leaves in its arms and brought it along. It rose up to meet with the sun about to end its shift in the sky and it continued its journey until it fell in the large courtyard.

A young man dressed in a traditional hanbok walked along that courtyard and witnessed the entrance of the messenger. Scattering the letters on the ground, the wind left in a breeze, causing a frown to appear in the young man’s handsome face. He bent down and started picking each and one of the leaves. Footsteps got his attention.

“Your Highness, wherefore thou art hither, sullying thy hands with sod from the ground? Thou shouldst be at thy chambers, preparing for thy royal duties.” An attendant spoke to him. He sighed.

“Hie, Yoong. Leave me be. I wouldst spend all of day and most of night in the chamber, reading old records of the family. Methinks that I deserve a solitary day, of which is today.” He said as he stood up from the ground, holding most of the leaves in his hand.

“If thou’s loyalty is to me, thou wilt not discourse of this to mine Father, the King.”

“Your Highness, whither are thee headed, garbed in ridiculous clothes? In clothes of a common fellow no less.” Yoong asked him. He only gave his servant and friend a smile before jumping up to the roof of the palace walls.

“Your Highness!” Yoong shouted.

“If thou must know, I wilt hie out of this fortress. I place my trust in thou!” He said before vanishing. Yoong could only sigh, knowing that he couldn’t stop him from leaving.

“His Majesty wilt cut my head off.” He broke sweat when he imagined what punishments he might get from the King if found out.

 

The young prince jumped from every roof he could land on. As part of the royal family, he was taught the Art of the Sword as a young boy and the martial arts has given him inhuman abilities. Speed and strength were some of them and he specialized in sword-fighting, undefeated by anyone in the kingdom. He smiled at the feeling of the air in his face. He made one more jump and he landed on a tree this time. He stayed in the covers of the leaves.

He knew he won’t meet anyone at this time of the day. The moon was up and the torches were lit. This was the best time to just stay out of the palace and forget who he was for a moment. There was comforting silence. That is until from the corner of his eyes, he saw fire moving. He opened his eyes and saw torches everywhere. He sat up from his slumber on top of the large tree. Just then, papers started appearing from nowhere and spreading along the area.

‘Thy King art a perfidious coward, reeking blood of a filthy, traitorous murderer. Thy King hast sullied the throne with the blood of the Hwang.’ It read.

“Hie! Hie! Find that impudent, slippery weasel! That surly rat discourses treason against our King!” He heard the guards say. He stayed hidden until he no longer saw them. When everything was clear, he jumped out from the tree and landed on the roofs. He saw more papers, those words written on them. Just then, he saw someone on the roof. Noticing him, the stranger was about to run but he called him out.

“‘Tis thou that hast been troubling mine King and mine people, is it not? Who art thou?” He asked. When the stranger jumped to another roof to escape, he followed. Their movements on the roofs were not heard for both had light footing. Finally, the stranger stopped at a secluded area near a lake.

“I wilt not ask thee again. Who art thou?” He asked for the last time, drawing his sword.

“If thou slays me, then I wilt tell thee. I art known as Crimson Blade.” The stranger said the voice was muffled under the disguise, making it impossible to recognize. The stranger drew his sword at him. Surely enough, her sword’s crimson-colored blade gave her the notorious name.

“If thou wilt duel with me, I wilt tell my name for ‘tis customary. I am Prince Soo Yeon, heir to the Jung royal throne. I shalt be thine end.” At that declaration, Soo Yeon and the stranger engaged in battle. Swords chimed against each other, creating harmony in its song. Soo Yeon noticed the strength the stranger had when their swords met. It was strong that he had to grip his sword tighter to prevent it from flying. They would jump away from each other, only to meet again in the middle, the stranger effortlessly meeting his skin with his sword. Blood trickled down from his cheek as his sword was pushed towards him.

“Thou art a worthy foe for none hast ever raised blade at me and wound me.” Soo Yeon said. The stranger said nothing but kicked him with his feet to Soo Yeon’s stomach. The young prince coughed at the painful contact.

“Thou canst not slay me. I wilt slay thy family like thy King hast slain the Hwang.” The stranger declared before vanishing at the breeze’s whisper. Soo Yeon was left alone. He stood up and slowly got home. Upon reaching the gates, Soo Yeon was met by Yoong.

“Your Highness, let us hie to thy chamber lest thy Father see thee like this and cuts my head off.” At that, Soo Yeon and Yoong hurry to his chamber and dress his wounds.

 

The morning came and most of his wounds closed already. Soo Yeon went to the library. He looked for the old books of the royal family. He found the record of the Hwang family. He read every single detail jotted down on the books but none had the information he was looking for. At the end, the only news there was the death of the whole royal family.

“Who art thou, Crimson Sword?” He asked no one. Just then, Yoong came barging in the library.

“Your Highness, the King bade thee to meet him at the royal room anon.” Yoong said. Soo Yeon placed the books back on the shelves and hurried out. He walked fast for he was not supposed to be running in the palace. In a moment, he finally reached the King’s study. Yoong was beside him.

“Your Majesty. Thy heir, Prince Soo Yeon, is hither.” At that, the door opened, revealing the guards and he entered. He reached the room after a few turns and stood there.

“Prince Soo Yeon, come hither.” At that, he slid the door open and entered the room. He sat before his father and bowed.

“Raise thy head and hark mine words. Thou art a young man and ‘tis time for thee to find a queen.” His father told him.

“Dost thou have anyone in mind?” Soo Yeon asked. He saw his father smile.

“Mine liege, fetch the beauty thou hast found for mine son.” King Jung said to his friend. In a few moments of waiting, he entered with a beautiful maiden. Her skin was light and soft-looking, smooth like silk. Her hair was black like the evening sky. Her face had this serene and bright look, making Soo Yeon’s heart skip a beat.

“Soo Yeon, I wouldst like to introduce, Mi Young.” King Jung smiled at how his son had looked at the moment. He looked like he was in a daze. He gave a smile to Mi Young and the girl gave a light giggle. Soo Yeon noticed that he had spaced out at the presence of his fiancée and he rubbed his nape before chuckling nervously.

 

Days turn into weeks and weeks into a couple of months. Every single day, they would spend time with each other. Soo Yeon would sneak out of his chamber to visit Mi Young and just stay next to her. And that one fateful night, he snuck out again. He stayed outside Mi Young’s room. In a bit, she came out to see him waiting.

“Wherefore thou art hither? Hast thou been waiting for me?” She asked him with a smile that made his heart race.

“I wilt wait for thee even after time hath ended. Mine love for thee hath grown so that I canst not help but love thee.” He confessed, holding her hands with his. He stared straight at her eyes and he felt like he was losing himself in them. He felt her take her right hand off of his gently cradle and caressed his face.

“Soo Yeon… I love thee as well.” It didn’t matter how she said it, to Soo Yeon, it was his world. He cradled her face in his hands and he marveled at how soft and smooth her face was. He gently drew closer until their lips met and their eyes closed. The moon remained their witness.

 

The next day, it was the day before their wedding. Traditionally, it was the day the bride and the groom would spend time with their parents for the last time before they build a family of their own. It was fortunate that Soo Yeon was going to be prince. He would be able to see his father for he was staying in the palace. He felt bad for Mi Young though. She had no family for she was an orphan who managed on her own. He made a promise to her that she wasn’t going to be alone anymore.

Soo Yeon was headed to the King’s study for it was where they will eat and spend time together as a family. His father was the King, a busy man so he hardly spent time with him. He entered through the hall. He noticed something strange. There was no one there.

There was darkness. Not a single candle was lit nor was there any people, not even a servant was around. He touched the walls so he won’t bump into things only to feel an unpleasant liquid seep through his clothes and cover his hand.

“Blood?” He asked no one as he rubbed his fingers together.

“Your Highness…” He knew that voice.

“Yoong! Who hast done this? What hast happen?” He asked.

“Your Highness… the King… I …” With those words, Yoong lost consciousness.

‘Mine father?’ At the thought, he quickly hurried to the room. Just as he was about to enter, there was a strong force that destroyed the door and forced him out of the hall. Everything was broken. Soo Yeon was on his back. He pushed the wooden frames off of him so he could sit up. He saw his father far from him.

“Your Majesty!” Just as he was about to run towards him, he was kicked in the stomach and was pushed into a tree. He looked up once he recovered. His eyes widened.

“Mi Young?” There in front of him was his beloved, a sword within a scabbard in hand. There was blood in her clothes. Soo Yeon turned his attention back to his father.

“Mi Young, help me. Mine father art wounded.” He started approaching his father again only to be hit strongly at his torso, returning him back to his previous place.

“Mi Young?” He called, looking at her confusingly. Cold eyes stared back down at him. At this, his heart broke.

“Thou art a foolish, naïve, little lunatic.” She coldly told him.

“Wherefore?” He asked. She unsheathed the sword she was carrying from its scabbard. It revealed a crimson color. His eyes widened again in realization.

“Thou art Crimson Blade?”

“Aye. I art Crimson Blade. Mine name art Mi Young Hwang.”

“Hwang? Thou art from the past royal family?”

“Aye. I art the only princess and only survivor of the Hwang family. And ‘tis this man who hath slain men and women of mine family.”

“What?” Soo Yeon couldn’t believe this. She saw him force his father to his knees. He looked at his father, looking for any denial. His heart fell when he found none but submission.

“Thy King murdered my Father and becamest King. I swore to avenge the Hwang family.” With that, she placed her sword just underneath King Jung’s neck.

“Cease!” She paused. She looked at him. He was looking at the ground, kneeling before her.

“I beseech thee. Forget mine Father’s sin to thee. Slay me in place of he who has wronged thee and thy family.”

“Wherefore shouldst I forget? He hast murdered all of whom I love!” Mi Young shouted at him. Soo Yeon trembled but stood from his place, causing Mi Young to point the sword straight to King Jung’s heart.

“Let us make haste and hie from hither lest darkness swallow the both of us.” He approached her closer. She stepped away. Soo Yeon took quick steps to her until he finally had her in his arms.

“Let us leave hither and start anew elsewhere.” He held her tighter as tears flowed from his eyes. He felt his shoulder get wet. There were Mi Young’s tears.

Cling! She had dropped the sword on the ground. The sword embedded itself on the ground. She cried heavily in his arms.

“Soo Yeon… Soo Yeon!” She called and cried to him.

“I wilt stop thy pain.” At that, he cradled her face once again before their lips met again.

Shing~ Soo Yeon froze. At the blade’s whisper, blood dropped to the ground.

“Soo Yeon. Thou hast laid upon me love.” As Mi Young spoke, Soo Yeon’s body slowly dropped on the floor. “Love…  ‘tis what my heart hath desirest for.” Mi Young said before slashing King Jung.

“But, my hands art stained by blood. I canst not be with thee. Perhaps in our next life.” She said before walking away, leaving Soo Yeon on the ground, tears running down his cheeks. He listened intently as the sound of her footsteps slowly waned. There was a breeze and then, there was nothing. She was gone. As quickly as the wind passed.

 

A/N: Hey guys. This was my English homework from June 2013. I thought about it for a long, and I mean a LONG, time and I decided to let you read it and post it on AFF. Anyone want to know what the assignment was? You can ask and I’ll tell you.

Oh! I could’ve made it longer but there was a page requirement. I would have gone a dozen more pages. Part of it was also the requirement that every dialogue was to be in Shakespearean English. Be confused! Keke. Oh! But it you understand the story even after a bit, I hope you did enjoy it. ^-^v