Just a Dream

Just a Dream

 

       "I'm sorry. He was too weak. We did all we could." The doctor removed his mask and looked at Dara with a pitiful expression. Dara felt the wind get knocked out of her and she angrily pushed her way past the doctor and into the hospital room. A disbelieving sob left her body when she saw his pale figure lying on the bed.

       "What the hell are you talking about?" She turned around to face the doctor. "He was talking to me a couple of hours ago! What the hell are you talking about?!" she flared indignantly. The doctor stepped toward her in an attempt to reassure her, but Dara stepped back.

       Her waist hit the table behind her and a mug of cold coffee spilled across the wood. She whirled around and noticed for the first time a small letter. It was stained brown now, but she didn't care.

       With shaking hands, she slowly reached down and picked it up, carefully unfolding it and reading with bated breath. The last word registered in her head just as the darkness filled her vision and she fell to the ground.

 

       I'm sorry. I love you.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

       "Dara, please. You need to go." Bom tugged at her blankets. Dara just turned her head away without answering. Bom sighed sympathetically.

       "It's Jiyong's funeral. Don't you want to say goodbye?" she reasoned. Dara shut her eyes tight, trying to block her voice out. She shook her head furiously.

       "Don't you want to see him again? This will be your last chance to see him...forever." Bom watched as Dara's eyes slightly opened and she turned to peer at Bom like a lost child.

       "Really?" she asked with a small voice. "Forever?" Bom nodded regretfully.

       "I'm sure Jiyong will want to see you as well." Dara's eyelids quivered before she bit her lip and nodded reluctantly. She dragged herself out of her bed and put on the black dress Bom prepared for her with robotic arms.

 

 

 

 

       They arrived at the cemetery and Bom stepped out of the car. She hurried over to the other side and opened the door for Dara, who was staring at the headrest in front of her with a hollow expression.

       "Dara, we're here. Come on. Jiyong is waiting," she murmured, gently helping her best friend out of the car. They slowly made their way up the hill and Dara looked around at the surrounding area. Tombstones were everywhere, giving off an air of solemnness and loss.

       She trudged over to the small crowd of people and pushed her way to the front with Bom's help. She caught sight of the love of her life lying peacefully in an extravagant coffin. He was surrounded by brightly colored flowers, and his lean body was emphasized with a sleek grey suit.

       Dara took in his soft, blond hair with her quivering, nervous eyes. He looked the same as before. He looked alive. He looked like the sleeping baby boy she had observed so many times on the days she woke up a little earlier than him.

       Her eyes trailed down from his hair to his toes and back up, stopping at his right hand. She choked out a sob as she saw the glinting silver band on his ring finger.

 

       "Dara?" He shifted his position on the bed so he was facing her. She smiled from her chair.

       "Yeah?" He took a deep breath and reached into his pocket. She watched with curious eyes as he pulled out two simple, silver bands. Her breath hitched as he kneeled down in front of her.

       "I can't give you a good life right now. My financial situation is not at its best, as you know. But I promise you. I will spend my days and nights working my hardest. Because I am determined to give you what you deserve. So until I have the courage, self-confidence, and sufficient wealth to properly become your husband, I will give you this ring. As a promise. A promise to a brighter future."

       He slowly slipped the perfectly-sized ring onto her right ring finger and handed her his own. She smiled blissfully and helped him put on his own ring, lips quivering.

       "I accept your promise," she giggled before pulling him up and attacking him with a tight bear hug. He laughed in relief and hugged her back, breathing in her scent.

       "I'll never leave you. I promise."

 

       "You promised. You promised you wouldn't leave me, Jiyong," she whispered, her pain becoming unbearable. Her right hand moved down to hold his, their rings clinking together. She flinched at the absence of warmth. His hand was colder than she would ever have expected.

       In an attempt to calm herself, Dara exhaled, feeling her chest empty. She inhaled slowly, but it didn't feel quite as full afterward. She felt as if her lungs couldn't in enough air and she took another quick deep breath, looking down at her feet. Her hands lifted up to rest behind her head in a futile attempt to open her diaphragm.

       "Dara? Dara, what's wrong?" Bom asked worriedly, looking down at Dara's weak figure. Her face was getting visibly paler. She broke away from Bom's arms and stepped away, trying to find an area with better air to breathe. Her vision began to flash black and white and her pulse resonated throughout her entire body.

       "Dara? Dara!" Bom's cries became quieter, so quiet that Dara could hardly notice them. The pounding and rushing of blood in her ears drowned out the noises of her surroundings. She stumbled away from Jiyong's casket and hopefully away from the pain.

       Bom caught up to her and held her shoulders. Dara clutched onto her arms for support, gasping desperately for air.

       "Dara, you look so pale! Do you need me to take you to the hospital?!" she asked frantically, her eyes moving up and down Dara's trembling body. Dara stiffened at her words and vehemently pushed her away.

       "No. Not the hospital. Anywhere but the hospital!" she shouted before pushing Bom to the ground and bolting away, toward the car. Bom shook off her shock and hurried after her, shouting her name as she ran.

       Her desperate cries were no use as Dara sprinted farther and farther away. Bom watched in horror as Dara finally came to a stop, stumbling into the middle of the road. A thunderous car horn and screeching tires were heard. The stench of burnt rubber filled the air.

       Lying on the gravel from the impact, Dara lifted her arms up above her head and looked up at the sky. A single tear slowly trickled down her face. She closed her eyes, feeling a serene calm take over.

 

       "Jiyong, I will see you again."

 

       "DARA! NO!!!"

 

 

 

 

       "Baby girl? Dara? Dara, what's wrong?! Dara, wake up!!"

       Dara woke up with a start. Her eyes slowly opened as beads of sweat rolled down the side of her face. She felt a gentle hand wipe away her tears and she turned to her side. Kwon Jiyong was sitting up in the bed with furrowed brows.

       "J-Jiyong?" Dara sat up, startled. The blankets covering her fell from her shoulders and she felt a comfortable breeze tickle her skin.

       "That's me." He smiled gently. "Are you okay? You seemed to be having a really crappy nightmare, Dara." His smile disappeared and was replaced with a worried frown. Dara shook her head, trying to organize her thoughts.

       "It was a dream?" she asked no one in particular. Jiyong hugged her tightly and she sighed, comforted by his familiar warmth. He pulled away after a couple of seconds and held her shoulders at arm's length.

       "You look pale. I'll go make you breakfast." He cast her one last glance before standing up and walking toward the door. He turned his head back just as he opened the door. "Lie down and rest! I'll be back soon." He winked teasingly before walking out and closing the door behind him.

       Dara smiled slightly before lying back down. She fumbled around with the blankets before comfortably lying on one side. Jiyong's red oak wooden nightstand was right in front of her, and she sighed with relief at the familiar sight. Everything is okay. It was just a dream.

       But just as her eyelids started drooping again, something in the back of her head stirred and her eyes snapped open again. She narrowed her gaze on a piece of paper resting on the nightstand. Feeling apprehensive, she got out of bed and picked it up.

       The coffee-stained note dropped out of her shaking, weak fingers and fluttered to the ground.

 

       I'm sorry. I love you.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Author's Note:
The message "I'm sorry. I love you."
was taken from the music video for
Gummy - I'm Sorry ft. TOP
The line "Jiyong, I will see you again"
was taken from the amazing collaboration
between jyongdarong and dolcevittaa
titled Fates. I didn't get this idea from the fic,
but that line was absolutely beautiful
and it seemed fitting. Thank you for the beautiful writing!