Chapter 1: Kyungsoo's POV

What Is Love?

“I’m not as young as I look.” The angel said in a teasing tone as he pressed his nose against his lover’s. “I am many millenniums older than you. I’ve been around since the beginning of time you know.”   

“Oh really? Well good for you old man.” The girl said, chuckling softly and crossing her eyes a bit when she saw the smirk the angel wore.

“Are you jealous of my immortal life, human?” The angel’s words were meant jokingly, the girl knew that but she couldn’t help but feel a little pained as a realization came to her.

“A little…” She admitted honestly, scraping her front teeth over her bottom lip for a quick moment. “It makes me wonder what will happen when… well you know when I die.” She lifted her eyes to look at the man, a little worried at the silence that followed. In his hesitation her worries grew, her doubt ate at her and made her question if she even meant that much to the supernatural being. Finally he spoke, and the girl held her breath as she patiently listened.

“When you die… every night I’ll get drunk on your memory. Intoxicated as I remember your voice, how you feel and what your real smile looks like. I’ll replay our memories together over and over again, and once my tears dry, I’ll be absolutely grateful that you were ever able to be in my life. I’ll be content, because if I was able to sleep in Heaven, I would have told you that my dreams came true when I met you. But instead I can say you’ve fulfilled my fantasies and made them infinite times better than I could have ever imagined them. Every second, every moment I get to watch over you from this close, every time I get to touch you and call you mine, I’m happier than I ever have been in my billions of years of existence.”

Something between a gasp and a sharp inhale came out of the girl’s mouth, and her body started to shake involuntarily. The angel immediately took her into his embrace, and between her breathes she was able to speak. “Y-you’re lying.” She says, though she knows very well how brutally honest her angel was. “I-I don’t deserve you… I- won’t you just find someone else once I’m gone?”

The angel’s hand softly patted the girl’s back, and he calmly refuted her words. “I’m not lying. It took me billions of years to find someone that sways my heart the way you do. And though we aren’t the same, I believe I was made for you. Made to protect you, made to watch over you, made to love you.” He planted a soft kiss on the girl’s forehead. “I could live for a trillion more years, but I’d still be in love with you. It’s eternal, but our time together is so limited…” His hand fell to the girl’s wrist where she carved her pains, and struggles and thoughts of suicide, and he lightly caressed the wounds with the pads of his fingers. “Promise me something. Promise me that you’ll live for as long as you can before God demands for your soul to return to Him. Promise me that we’ll spend the rest of our memories together. Promise me that you’ll leave me with as many happy and beautiful moments as you can.”

“I-i.. I promise-“

“Kyungsoo”

“Kyungsoo”

“KYUNGSOO dude I’m talking to you!”

The scene stopped and the magic began to become undone as his attention was brought back to reality by a loud voice. Kyungsoo peeled his eyes away from the pages of the book he was reading to see who it belonged to. It was no surprised that it was his best friend Baekhyun calling to him, though he was confused why the boy was yelling at him so early in the morning. “Yes?” He replied calmly, digging his pinky in his ear drum to recover the damage it took just moments before.

The other boy scoffed at the lack of care in Kyungsoo’s tone and mumbled something about how he wondered why they were friends. “I was trying to tell you about the audition coming up.  It’s a group audition, so we have to find 4 other people to work with.” Kyungsoo’s nose crinkled in distaste at the thought of working with others, and it didn’t go unnoticed by Baekhyun. “Oh come on, don’t give me that look. It won’t be that bad, besides you need more friends instead of stuffing your nose in books all the time.” He remarked motioning at the book Kyungsoo was holding. “You’re lucky that I even hang out with you, otherwise you’d be a loner.” He finished in a matter-of-fact manner.

“I’m so grateful I have you, Baekhyun.” He said sarcastically and he earned himself a soft jab on the side of his arm from the other in response. He blew out a bit of his frustration and knitted his fingers into his own hair as he scanned his surroundings. Everyone was happily chatting with each other before class started, but Kyungsoo just wanted to finish his book. Sadly, Baekhyun always found a way to interrupt him at the most interesting moments of his readings. Being friends since they were in diapers, they knew pretty much everything about each other, so Kyungsoo was comfortable showing the other boy his unreserved side. “Shouldn’t you be spying on Chanyeol or something? Let me finishing readin—“

“Hey!” Baekhyun said slapping Kyungsoo’s arm again, making the boy groan a little in pain.  “Shut up he might hear you.” The worry in the browned haired voice made Kyungsoo smile a bit, and chuckle at the way Baekhyun looked back and forth from him and where Chanyeol was sitting with his group of friends on the other side of the room. His friend had been crushing on the deep voiced male for a while now, but never said anything to him yet. Though Kyungsoo encouraged him to speak to the boy, he understood the fear in unrequited love a little too well.

“Oh don’t worry, he didn’t hear me. It was probably drowned out by the sound of his own laughter.” Almost as on cue, the male’s gruff laughter could be heard from the other side of the room, and Baekhyun’s cheeks tinted a light pink.

“Still someone else could have heard.” The boy hit him again and Kyungsoo let out a sigh lifting his book up again. Getting the memo, Baekhyun stood up from where he was sitting on Kyungsoo’s desk and mumbled again about how the other would have been a loner without him. “Anyways we’ll have to find partners later today, okay?” Kyungsoo nodded and waved the boy off immersing himself into his book again.