Cat person

The Beast's Shadow

 

 

Jimin sighed heavily and glared out the window, saying nothing. The rain pelted heavily on the car's windscreen. The wipers were working double time to clear the windscreen for her father so that they wouldn't crash.

"Do you want to put on some music?" her father, Choi Kyuhyun, asked, fiddling with the wipers so that they increased their speed and gave him a better range of visibility.

"Will it work?" Jimin asked skeptically, but nonetheless, leaned forward and hit the on button for the radio.

She leaned back against the cold leather of the jeep's seat and resumed her position of staring at the rain drops trickling down the window. When she was younger, her and her brother used to each choose a raindrop and they would “race” them.

The water pellets skidded down the glass pane, some would join together or cross paths. Even though the radio came on, no music played. The only thing to break the silence was the swish of the wipers and the sound of the rain against glass and metal.

All of a sudden, a static filled the car. Jimin scrabbled to turn off the radio as a mixture of indiguishable dialogue and plain white noise filled the car. Her father, however, got there first, and his fist pounded the little button, narrowly missing squashing Jimin's hand.

Jimin glared at her father for a while, before smiling. "Idiot."

"Ssh, Tweedledee." Kyuhyun smiled and stole a glance at his daughter.

"When are you going to stop calling me that?" Jimin asked, feigning hate of the nickname, when really she loved it. She may not have a Tweedledumb, but her father insisted calling her that. If her father showed her love and affection, should she not seize upon it instead of disregard it?

"When you get your first boyfriend," Kyuhyun said.

In an instant, Jimin's happy mood was gone. "Bit late then," she snapped.

Her father looked at her through the windscreen mirron and frowned. What had he said now? Daughters were impossible for him to understand. He didn't want to admit that his little girl was growing up so that it was probably attributed to hormones. It was just a phase she was going through, that's what he told himself.

"Ji, what did I say?" Kyuhyun asked.

"Doesn't matter." Jimin crossed her arms firmly across her body and placed a scowl firmly on her face. If her father didn't want to know her, that wasn't her problem.

 

After driving for some hour and a half, Kyuhyun finally pulled into a petrol station to top up the deteriorating fuel level. He offered to buy a snack or drink for Jimin, but she stonily ignored him.

When he got back in the car smelling slightly of petrol after filling up the car, paying at the in the store and buying an armful of food and drinks, Jimin said nothing to her father.

She didn't hate him: she resented him. Her father was a man who lived in the clouds. A man that was smart, but not smart enough to love the right things. Loving things that didn't and would never love him back was what ruined their family.

"Jimin, you know that you didn't have to come and live with me," Kyuhyun said, trying to get to the source of her sudden foul mood.

"I know that. Mum's pregnant, do you honestly expect me to live in a house with a new born baby and its crying?" Jimin said, biting down on her lip. It wasn't the real reason that she didn't want to live with her mum and step-father, but it was good enough. Her father didn't ask anymore about it, anyway.

"How is that Sungmin, anways?" Kyuhyun asked, a trace of distaste in his voice.

"Sungmin?" Jimin frowned at the name of her step-fathers name. "He's fine. Why?"

"Just wondering." Kyuhyun tapped the steering wheel with his finger. "How's your mum?"

"Dad, what are you really trying to ask?" Jimin asked curiosly.

Choi Kyuhyun that was a man that often beat around the bush. If he wanted to know something, he'd often ask around twenty questions before touching on the subject.

Kyuhyun deliberated for a moment. "You didn't have to live with me, you know," he said simply. "I don't understand why you wanted to live with me. It's not the nicest place, you know."

Jimin cocked her head to the side, drinking in his words. "Dad, I wanted to live with you. Honestly, Sungmin's a great guy and I'm happy that he and Omma are happy together -" Kyuhyun flinched "- but I don't want to live with them when they're going to have a new family." She stopped for a moment before adding, "Besides, what can be so bad about the place? There's no grissly bears or angry wolves, right?"

Kyuhyun wet his lips with the tip of his tongue, keeping mum on the subject. "Cat people tend to prefer urban areas," he blurted out.

Jimin's eyes narrowed wondering where he was going with this. "And dog people?" she prompted.

"I'm not a dog person," Kyuhyun told her.

"Same difference." 

"There's no similarities between wolves and dogs," he said, having trouble keeping his voice level.

"They both have tails and bark, right?" Jimin retorted.

"Jimin, dogs and wolves are nothing alike. If you knew -"

"Oh, I'll bet you know all too well, eh? All those times that . . ." Jimin took a deep breath to calm herself. "You were saying about being a wolf, I mean, dog and cat person?"

"Erm, yeah, it's, uh, it's just that cat people tend to prefer the city and, um," Kyuhyun stammered, totally forgetting his train of thought. Teenage daughters would be the death of him.

"Dad, I want to live with you. Truthfully, I-I-I miss you," Jimin stuttered. The words felt foreign on her tongue. It wasn't that she didn't mean them, but she hadn't said them for a while.

Kyuhyun cleared his throat. "I love you, too, but there's something you should know about -"

"What?" Jimin demanded.

"Oh, um, just that I'm really glad that you decided to live with me and, erm, I know you'll fit in great," Kyuhyun quickly said.

 

The rest of the journey passed in inane small talk and banter. Jimin was bored. Her phone had no charge, so she couldn't use that to distract herself.

When they finally arrived at the house, Jimin had to prevent herself from letting out a sigh of relief. This was her first time seeing her dad's new place. He'd bought it last month and had spent a few trips bringing his stuff down and fixing up the things that needed fixing. They'd only used this trip to transport themselves and  Jimin's things.

It was a nice place, in Jimin's opinion. It was a big enough two-storey house It needed a paint job on the outside, but it wasn't too shabby. It was nicer than her mum and step-dad's place. When she told this to her dad, his grin widened, and Jimin couldn't help smile back. Her dad had a smile that was infectious. It was what her mum both hated and loved about him at the same time.

"Dad, have you met any of the neighbours?" she asked, grabbing a suitcase of her stuff out of the boot and following her dad to the front door. He put the key in and opened the door wide, revealing the inside.

It looked like a proper home, not a cramped apartment in the city. Kyuhyun had already bought the furniture and set it all up. It was a home, not just a house.

"Wow, Dad. You did good," Jimin commented.

"Thanks, and to answer your earlier question: no, I haven't met any. Except for the ahjumma next door, Heesica, but she's barking; don't go near her."

"Mad? Why? What'd she do?" Jimin asked.

Kyuhyun shuddered. "You don't even want to know."

 

Once all the luggage was unpacked, they had dinner - ramen - they both went to bed early. They spent the following weekend unpacking and relaxing. Jimin had to start in the local school on Monday morning.

When she arrived at the school at eight in the morning, dressed in her freshly laundered and ironed uniform, shoes polished and her hair neatly styled so that it hung down her back like a blue-black curtain.

With regards to finding her classroom, she didn't have many problems. She was given very clear and concise instructions by the secretary. She had two lockers: one in the back of the classroom for books and school supplies, and one in the hall for extras such as gym equipment.

She knocked on the door to the classroom feeling slightly apprehensive. She had a knot in her stomach that was writhing like a snake. She entered straight away and found, much to her relief, a kind looking teacher sitting at the desk at the front of the room, waiting for the bell to ring to begin class.

The teacher looked up from her magazine on latest celebrity gossip. Luckily for Jimin, no one noticed her. Jimin quickly walked over to the desk and introduced herself quietly.

Thankfully the teacher had been expecting her, so she had already known where Jimin was going to sit. When Jimin took her seat near the back of the class, a few of the students looked up from their conversations and stared at her. They quickly resumed their chat, though, once she'd passed.

Jimin dumped her bag at her feet and got her stationary and school books ready. She slid her eyes to the side and caught the figures of four brooding male figures. They had moved their desks close together and they were in deep discussion.

Two of them were gangly and looked like they'd been run through some old fashioned clothes wringer. The other two were on the shorter side, but they all gave off the same aura. What may have been strange was that they all had a lighter hair colour than everyone else. All of them had dark rusty brown hair. It was a nice colour and Jimin briefly wondered where they bought the dye.

She was just about to look forward when two arms slammed down on top of Jimin's desk. She looked up startled to see another girl's bright smile.

"Hi," said the girl brightly, "I'm Sora, and you must be Jaemi?"

"Um, Jimin, actually," Jimin corrected her.

"Jimin, hm, it's a pretty name," she complimented. The girl had a smile that almost looked too big for her face, wide eyes that glimmered with excitement and her hair was tied up tightly in a bun on top of her head.

"Thanks . . . your's is nice, too."

"Pur-lease, it's too common lately." Sora made a sour face and Jimin smiled.

Sora asked Jimin a few questions on where she'd come from, why she'd moved and how she'd been liking the town thus far. Their conversation was cut short when the bell rang, but as soon as it rang again to signal lunch, Sora had turned around to pick up right where they had left off.

 

"So, is it true that your dad is a wolf trainer?" one of Sora's friends, Sunhwa, asked. Sora had invited Jimin to eat lunch with her and her friends at the cafeteria and Jimin had readily accepted. She was sat with ten other people (only three were boys).

"Wolf trainer?" Jimin repeated with obvious distaste in her voice.

Sunhwa balked, thinking that she had heard wrong and that Jimin was offended. "Oh my gosh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean -"

"He is, or he was. He retired from that; he's just a vet now - Dr. Choi - if you ever need a vet or anything," Jimin informed them. She'd unwittingly caught the attention of tweleve boys seated at the next table over. They'd been too hungry to talk, so the nearest table's conversation had carried.

"Retired? Why? What happened?" Sunhwa asked, but her question was interrupted by a eager person whose name Jimin thought was something like Songguk or Yongguk.

"A wolf trainer? Did he ever fight them? Did a wolf ever attack him?" he cut across, his deep baritone voice drowning out Sunhwa's high pitched one.

"Fight: no. Attack him: yes," Jimin replied easily.

"Have you ever met a wolf up close? What's it like," Yongguk continued seeing Jimin's nod, "to stare into their eyes? I heard that it's supposed to feel like they're staring into your soul."

"Wolves are . . . in my opinion, wolves are a waste of a species and should just be rounded up and shot," Jimin said bluntly, causing the people at her table to raise their eyebrows.

At the next table, however, there was a different reaction.

"What? Shot?" someone asked angrily, and Jimin looked around in bewilderment. "Do you even know how far back wolves go into our town's history? Think before you speak!"

"Gosh, Kris, relax! If you remember correctly, a year ago, this wasn't even your town!" Sunhwa snapped back.

"Does it even matter now?" Jimin asked. "There's no wolves in the area, so it's not like they're going to be shot."

"Ji, did you not hear the rumors?" Sora was apparently close enough to Jimin after half-a-day to address her by a nickname.

"Rumors?" Jimin asked, dumbstruck. "What rumors?"

"Of course she wouldn't have heard them, she's only just moved, right?" Daehyun told Sora in annoyance.

"Whatever. Anyways, there's been rumors of wolves in the area. Some say that a guy released some wolf pups into our forest. We've been finding dead dear all over the place. It's crazy." Sora shook her head.

"If it's pups, it would have to be about thirty of them to kill that many deer," Kris retorted.

"Guys, guys, guys, there's no such thing as wolves in our forest, calm down," one of the lanky people from Jimin's class said.

"How do you know?" Daehyun asked, raising a brow.

"Because I'm Chanyeol, I know everything," he said cockily. "But in all seriousness, what are the odds of that? And you all call me the dumb one?"

"That's because you are."

"Shut up, Baeks. Listen, I suggest you all stop getting things from the rumor mill, it'll do you no good." Chanyeol told them all and sat down with a dramatic flourish. "Who stole my yogurt?"

 

Everyone turned around to their own tables and Jimin looked over her shoulder at the boys who were eating. One of the shorter boys in her class looked up and seen Jimin looking at them.

He gave her an icy glare until she turned back around.

"What's with them?" Jimin asked the table, referring to the boys.

"Those guys?" the guy with slim features and rabit teeth said. "They're just . . ."

"Weird?" Sunhwa asked.

"Yeah, they weren't even friends a year ago and now they're all buddy buddy with each other," he said in annoyance and bit down on a carrot. "And those Chinese students never went back to their school, either!"

"Himchan, keep your voice down! They can hear you, you know!" Sunhwa hissed and looked at Jimin. "He's just mad that Joonmyun isn't his friend anymore."

"Listen, Jinmi, is it? Anyways, Jinmi, those twelve guys would never talk to each other. Some of them even hated each other. I know for a fact that Joonmyun and Jongin hated each other, and you know what he did the other day? He bought Jongin food! He bought him food! Really! And also, those Chinese students were supposed to have gone back to Korea last year, but they never went and -" Himchan in a huge breath of air.

"Himchan, shut up," Yongguk commanded in a low voice. "Anways, they -"

The bell rang and all the chairs all scraped back across the floor as everyone picked up their trays and put their rubish in the bins, putting the trays away and they all walked back to their classes.

Jimin was quite glad for the day to be over when the last bell of the day rang through the entire school. The majority of her class was nice and not unkind like she'd feared, but there was the four boys near her that bothered her.

They had paid no attention to her prior to lunch, but after lunch, she felt a burning gaze on her every so often. At first, she'd turn to look at one of the boys looking at her, but after a while, she quickly learnt to ignore them.

When the teacher briefly went out of the room, she'd thought she'd heard her dad brought up in the boys conversation and one of them asking if he was really a “wolf expert guy” in quite a worried voice.

 


 

~* Fighting*~