CHAPTER 2

Summer Mishap

CHAPTER 2

            They’re mad. Seriously out of their minds.

          Park Chanyeol was crazy. And he, Kris Wu, was un-doubtfully crazier.

          “I hate you.”

          “Aw, Kris, I know you don’t,” Chanyeol cooed and laughed heartily. He looked at Kris with that smile that had ‘innocent’ written all over it, tapping his clumsy fingers in his lap as Kris drove them to their destination.

          The lawyer’s grip on the steering wheel tightened. Oh, how he wanted to give up on this...boy. A boy in a man’s body.

          “Why can’t you drive yourself to wherever this is we’re going?” Kris asked annoyed. He knew where they were headed. And Park Chanyeol was one smartass nurse.

          “How am I supposed to drive the car and hold him at the same time?”

          Kris agreed that was a valid point. But he was ol McGrumpy, getting irritated at everything.

          “And what are you wearing?” Kris sneered as he did a quick head to toe inspection of Chanyeol’s attire.

          “It’s pretty, isn’t it?” the younger happily hummed instead. His hand smoothed down the imaginary crease on his pale orange sleeve.

          “That’s not the point. The question is why are you wearing a woman’s blouse?”

          Chanyeol sighed as if Kris was being ridiculous.

          “Kris, we’ve talked this over before we married. This is the best possible way for me to adopt the cute little baby boy,” Chanyeol exclaimed, his long thin arms flailing midair. The nurse’s voice ended in a squeal of delight as he often did when he talked about the infant he was obsessed with.

          “Urgh...hate you,” Kris said grimly as he carefully pulled into the driveway of one bright-looking adoption centre. As soon as he parked and engine off, Chanyeol flew out of the car with a very happy grin. It was blinding his eyes – bad for his health.

          “Come on, let’s meet my baby,” Chanyeol bounced to his side, placing his hands on Kris’s right arm and walked them toward the colourful entrance. Kris dreaded what’s going to come.

          A week ago, they got married in a church near their apartment. Kris in one of his many work suits and Chanyeol in his nurse attire, his long hair for once down on purpose – and brushed. No reception. No after-party. Well, what could you say? It was a shotgun wedding. They signed their names on the marriage certificate and the next thing they had was their single statuses poof – no more.

          They didn’t think it was necessary to invite anybody. And they didn’t buy themselves wedding rings until a few days after, at the younger one’s insistence.

          In a way, Kris understood knew why he went along with Chanyeol’s plan. He could see that the nurse really wanted the baby.

          One day he came home, happier than Kris had seen him before. After he embarrassed Kris in front of the people. Of course Kris could never forget that day.

          He had shouted a ‘are you ing out of your mind?!’ when Chanyeol stepped into the threshold with that excited expression as the one he had on in that cafe.

          But his roommate did his weird magic on Kris and over cups of chamomile tea few minutes later, Chanyeol told him about the infant he saw and ‘fell in love at first sight’ with. The nurse was doing his usual monthly visit to childcare centres. And on that day, just so it happened that Chanyeol met a small babe with a nameplate ‘Sehun’ attached to his crib.

          “He’s so tiny, sleeping with his mouth open. Oh Kris, you should’ve seen him. Poor little guy, he’s barely over 3 months. His mother died in labour, they had to cut him out of her. The mother was a teenager herself,” Chanyeol whispered sadly.

          Despite feeling queasy, Kris let the other finished.

          In Korea, you could only adopt children if you were married and with stable living conditions. Park Chanyeol long knew he wasn’t batting for the female human species and Kris was uninterested in anything. So it was a win-win situation. Not like Kris would lose something if he agreed.

          “I want to adopt him, Kris. I want to raise him like he’s my own...”

          And the rest was history.

          So here they were.  

          “Hello, how may I help you?” a teenager with big eyes greeted them as soon as Chanyeol and Kris stopped in front of the reception. His nametag said ‘Kyungsoo’.

          “Hi,” Chanyeol chirped, flipping his long hair over his shoulder. Chanyeol cleaned up nice for the third time since Kris knew him, the first being his graduation ceremony that Chanyeol had begged him to attend.

          “We’re looking for a baby boy!”

          Mentally, Kris slapped his face.

          “What she meant is, we’re wondering if we can adopt a child,” Kris butted in. He pinched Chanyeol’s hand in a disguise of patting it. I should be the one doing the talking.

          “Oh, right this way, sir, madam,” the boy seemed unfazed with their odd behaviour, leading them through a door. “Would you like to take a look at the children first or would you like to check their profiles out in the office?”

          “We want to see them!” Chanyeol quickly said. Well, that didn’t surprise Kris. He knew who the nurse wanted already.

          “Okay then, ma’am. I assume you’d like to start from here,” Kyungsoo said as he opened a door to their left gently. Chanyeol was clearly full of anticipation as they let themselves into the room.

          And in that room, a lilac-painted nursery to be exact, were 6 cribs. 3 on one wall and 3 against the other – simple hospital-version baby beds. The room was fully stocked and well supplied with anything infants could need. A middle-aged woman was sitting on a chair with a book in her hand. When she saw Kris, she smiled warmly and bowed. He assumed she was the caretaker.

          Chanyeol didn’t wait for an invitation as he walked in slowly, passing by 2 blue-blanketed tots and stood by the bed of the one at the end of the nursery. Kris approached him as Chanyeol bent down and scooped the little one into his arms expertly.

          “Hello, baby Sehun,” Kris heard the younger said. It was so tender and soft, unlike his usual loud voice that the lawyer felt compelled to look at his partner. Shocked he was when he noticed a tear running down Chanyeol’s right cheek.

          “Kris, look at how gorgeous he is,” he grinned. His nose was red. The rims of his eyes were blotched with unshed tears. Chanyeol lifted his head, held the sleeping bundle out slightly for Kris to see.

          Kris lifted a hesitant hand and placed it on the babe’s swaddled chest. He stood closer and grazed a cautious finger over the child’s blanket and pulled it slightly down.

          The sight puzzled him as he touched the reddish plump cheek and the baby whimpered softly. The little one nuzzled into Chanyeol’s chest and the nurse cooed. How could something be so...tiny?

          The baby Sehun looked so small compared to Kris’s giant hand. So small, it needed protection. He probably could guess now why Chanyeol was so enamoured with Sehun.

          Maybe, this wasn’t as dreadful as how he thought it would be.

          “We’ll adopt him.”         

 

 

Author's Note:

WOW! I've only posted up one chapter and I got 43 subscribers, 300+ views and 3 votes! Thank you! ^_^ -bows-

I hope you enjoy reading this chapter too!

xx Amber