04-Chance

Forever Lost Series

 

 

“Let’s stop for a while!!!”

“Kah kah!”

Eunhyuk and Sung Min tried to get their breaths back while making sure nobody followed them. Eunhyuk straightened his back, tried to arrange his uniform, then patted Sung Min on the back and convinced him that they were safe, for now.

“Hey, hyung, now that I think about it. Maybe Si Won was right. You know. About  Zhou Mi.”

“AAHCK! Don’t just mention that name aloud. YOU!” Sung Min almost erased Eunhyuk’s face by trying to cover his friend’s mouth with both hands.

“There’s no way that I’d be wrong. Remember that one time I went  to Incheon to visit Grandpa and Grandma. I saw that gang beat a guy up over some loose change. I saw their tattoos! A red crescent moon!”

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Sung Min released a now bluish Eunhyuk.

“What the…are you trying to kill me before that gang does?!”

Eunhyuk gulped precious fresh air to regain his strength.

“What do we do?” Eunhyuk with hands on his hips faced a now more sober Sung Min.

“We wait.” Sung Min replied resolutely, with eyes closed, his left forefinger rested on his left temple.

----------

Tap! Tap!

“HOUSE CLEANING!”

Eunhyuk and Sung Min said aloud as if trying to yell for treats during Halloween.

“GO AWAY!”

A harsh voice reprimanded the two and a crash was heard from the other side of the occupied penthouse suite. Eunhyuk guessed it was a shattered vase or a glass pitcher from the way the crash ringed.

Eunhyuk pulled Sung Min by the collar to stop the other from retreating.

“Hyung! We have to clean this room remember?! Are you trying to escape?”

“Yeah, right. But I just remembered the saying that a customer is always right.”  Sung Min rearranged his cap and joined Eunhyuk at the double doors. They both held the cleaning cart tightly, so much like a battering ram.

Tap! Tap!

“Sir, we must clean this room or we’ll be exiled to France to die of nosebleed from hearing French too much.” Eunhyuk tried to make the situation light. His head tilted slightly to the side to better hear a response from the other side of the doors.

As much as Sung Min tried to suppress his laughter, he can’t, thus the next scenario.

As soon as Sung Min let out his uncensored laughter (gums, spit and all), the double doors decided to open.  Suddenly, a tall, fair and good looking young man with tousled hair stood in front of them, with shock visible from his eyes. He couldn’t keep his eyes away from Sung Min who by then was rolling on the floor and obviously out of breath from so much laughter.

Eunhyuk had the presence of mind to help his friend up and violently slapped Sung Min on the back to stop his fit. Sung Min on the other hand tried hard to stand straight in front of the room’s occupant.

“Uhmm! You can’t clean this room yet. Errmm…because I’m working on something and I don’t want them to be disturbed.” The tall guy explained, his eyes never left Sung Min.

Sung Min stood straight and stared at the patterns on the wall. Swirling gold, red flowers, blue lines, oh what wonderful eyes, beige background, and that hair, just out of bed, black linings, small gold jewels, pouting lips. What was he thinking!!

Eunhyuk, oblivious to his surroundings, pushed the cleaning cart a little to convey his intention at entering the suite.  The tall man abandoned his stance and let Eunhyuk slip inside with his cleaning cart and friend in tow.

“Uhm, where do you want us to start?”  Eunhyuk, with a smile plastered on his face, asked.

“Ah! You can start with the bathroom while I organize my papers.” The man stated.

“You,” he pointed at Eunhyuk “can start.”

“While he helps me.” His hand already on Sung Min’s shoulder.

Immediately, Eunhyuk pushed the cart towards the huge bathroom. He never looked back at his petrified friend.

 

“So, is that true? About the French thing, nosebleed, exile?”

“You’re so young to work at this kind of place.”

“How much have they offered you for a salary?”

“What’s your name?”

Sung Min heard questions but can’t quite understand them because his eyes were locked with this wonderful specimen of a young man.

“Ermm..yes yes!” Was all he could ever utter.

He heard little bells tinkle realizing that it was laughter. What sweet sound.

“Sung Min. So that’s your name.” Sung Min’s heart stopped the moment he felt fingers touch his chest where his nameplate was.

He studied the man opposite him. Eyes that shine with the light, wavy hair like a toddler, brows that of a scholar, cheeks that lack the sun’s kiss yet pink with excitement, and crimson lips always ready to part with a smile. He was taller, almost reached his neck.  His white shirt can’t hide his athletic physique. His pants though a little ruffled seemed to hug a well-formed pelvis. He now stared at bare feet. Long but not broad, well cut fingernails, smooth but pale skin.

Sung Min almost jumped backwards when he felt fingers touch his chin and lifted it upwards.

“Don’t worry, I won’t bite .” Then that sweet sound again.

Sung Min fought the trance and finally found his tongue again.

“I’m sorry sir. I, I also think you’ll never bite, Uhm, I mean, you’re right,  I’m Sung Min, he he.” He stammered.

“Hmm, well then, shall we start … to clean up I mean.”

“By the way, my name is Kyu Hyun.” As he said his name he gave Sung Min a sweet smile.

Kyu Hyun. Unique name, yet so like him. And that smile. Sung Min lifted his hand and placed it on top of his wildly beating heart. He was sure it skipped some beats. With his heart stopping and all, he’d be dead if he stayed the whole day.

Sung Min followed Kyu Hyun to a huge desk, actually it was several desks pulled together to form a long table. It was filled with lots and lots of papers. There were colored ones, plain ones, newspapers, magazines, papers with graphs on it, papers with photos, papers with scribbles, papers with nothing but a single image at the center, and a lot more.

He helped Kyu Hyun organize the mess. Kyu Hyun stacked papers while Sung Min packed them in boxes. Whether it was intentional or not, most of the time, their hands touched or their eyes met. Sung Min can’t help but shiver at the feeling of anticipation every time he held out his hands for another stack. Several boxes later, Sung Min can see the surface of the table. They occasionally heard Eunhyuk hum pop songs from the bathroom.

After receiving the last stacks of papers, Sung Min placed the last box on the floor next to the others. He straightened up and stretched a bit to loosen his tensed muscles and accidentally found Kyu Hyun’s eyes studying him.

Sung Min instantly lowered his gaze and asked for more instructions.

“What would you like me to do next?”

Silence.

When he looked up, he found Kyu Hyun standing a few feet away, a hand cradling a bleeding foot.

“Oh, the broken glass. Wait, I’ll help you.”

Sung Min placed a hand on Kyu Hyun’s waist to assist him to a nearby chair. He called to Eunhyuk for help.

“What! Oh, there’s blood all over. Oh no!”

“We must get him to a hospital. I’ll call Si Won!” Eunhyuk ran around the room and tried to find a telephone.

“No need. I must wash my foot and put medicine and bandages on. Please help me up.” Kyu Hyun stated.

The two friends hoisted Kyu Hyun up and helped him walk to the bathroom. They let him sit on a chair and assisted him in cleaning the wound.

Sung Min was a little bit queasy with the sight of blood which pooled on the white bathroom tiles. To be able to clean the wound, Eunhyuk had to sit on the edge of the bathtub while Sung Min helped Kyu Hyun hoist his foot up. All the time the wound was cleaned, Sung Min kept his eyes closed.  At Eunhyuk’s signal that the job was done, Sung Min slowly opened his eyes to Kyu Hyun’s amusement.

“There sir, I just have to report the accident to the clinic downstairs. I’m sure they can do a better job at cleaning and dressing your wound. I guess it’s not fatal.” Eunhyuk encouraged the wounded guest with a smile and a small nod.

“You should not move about since that wound is pretty deep. I was a scout in middle school but that was all that I can do for first aid. Will you be alright alone?” Eunhyuk asked, concerned.

Sung Min saw that Kyu Hyun can stand on one foot, trying not to add weight on the other. He still kept his hand on Kyu Hyun’s waist lest he fall.

“Thanks. I think I can handle the situation. Just clean up and I’ll let Sung Min finish up on the rest of the suite.” Kyu Hyun decided before looking down on Sung Min’s eyes.

“Alrighty then, I’ll finish everything up. “ Eunhyuk retreated to the bathroom once again.

Sung Min was captivated by the wonderful brown eyes staring at him. He quickly looked sideways and assisted Kyu Hyun on the bed so he can finish with the cleaning.

He kept himself busy. He scooped the broken glass, vacuumed the carpet, wiped every glass surface on the room until finally, he had to change the bed sheets.

“Ermm. I have to change the sheets, would you like me to help you to that chair?” Sung Min asked as he stared at Kyu Hyun’s knees. He was afraid what he might feel if he glanced at his eyes. He had just tamed his wild heart as he cleaned the room, he didn’t want it to hammer wildly again.

“Must you leave?” Kyu Hyun gently asked Sung Min. “I mean after this?”

“Eh?!” Sung Min was dumbfounded as he tried to understand what he heard. And then he instantly reddened at the sudden comprehension.

At a loss for words, all he could do was pull the bed sheet with Kyu Hyun on it. Then he realized it was a big mistake because Kyu Hyun slid on the floor with a thud.

“OUCH! What the heck!?”

“I just asked for company. You just need to decline. No need for this violence.” KyuHyun struggled to get up while ranting on Sung Min.

“I’m sorry! Oh I’m sorry! I didn’t mean it. Really!” Sung Min pleaded and immediately assisted Kyu Hyun onto the bed.

“What’s wrong? Sung Min hyung, what’s the matter this time? Is he hurt again?” Eunhyuk appeared outside the bathroom door with rubber gloves on both hands.

“Nothing serious, I hope.” Sung Min stood beside Kyu Hyun’s sitting form. His face red with embarrassment.  His fingers twitching a cuff of his uniform.

“You may go now. I’ll let Sung Min finish everything up. And there’s no need to report to the clinic, I’ll be fine.” Kyu Hyun stated with a clearly irritated voice. He pointed the door to Eunhyuk and signaled that he leave immediately.

Eunhyuk, confused, did what he was told. He kept glancing at Sung Min waiting for an explanation, but his friend just kept his head down.

“Well, I guess I’ll know everything later.”

“See you later Hyung!” He waved and closed the door.

 

Sung Min froze and held his breath. He waited for Kyu Hyun to lash at him. He suddenly wished for a bolt of lightning to strike him that very moment. And lightning did strike. As he stood straight and stared on the carpet, he felt a hand on his wrist. Warm and smooth and soft. He closed his eyes once more to cherish this unfamiliar feeling. When he opened his eyes, he sought Kyu Hyun’s. He saw their brown hue turn darker.

Sung Min can’t help but touch those pink cheeks, untidy yet soft hair, until his hand rested on Kyu Hyun’s shoulder. He felt a hand warm his face and another pull him by the waist. He’d never felt so calm, so peaceful, yet he could hear his heart beat as loud as the water dripping from the faucet.  He finally stared at Kyu Hyun’s eyes with long thick lashes that fluttered when he closed the gap between their faces. He forgot how long it took until their lips met. He didn’t care that he shouldn’t be doing this. He wasn’t even aware of Kyu Hyun’s uncomfortable position until he was suddenly pulled to the bed.

Kyu Hyun’s mind kept racing for words to say. But all else went down the proverbial drain when he saw Sung Min pout and fidget like a ten year old boy scolded over a dirty shoe. He couldn’t help but fall for this guy. He didn’t care if he couldn’t finish his project. All he could think about was to hold that pouting boy and make him laugh again. He didn’t notice his hand went to Sung Min’s wrist, his lovely face and pull him to bed when he accidentally hit his injured foot on a nearby chair. He has never kissed anyone, girl or boy, so he just let Sung Min lead on.

They never knew how long the kiss went on. When Sung Min released Kyu Hyun, he became aware of the fact that he was straddled on the other’s lap.  He wanted to get up but Kyu Hyun’s hands prevented him.

“Don’t you want to stay this way, at least for a moment longer?” Kyu Hyun’s hushed voice melted Sung Min’s resolve to leave.

“Oh boy, what have I gotten myself into?” Sung Min thought to himself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------