02-Memories

Forever Lost Series

"Arrrgghhhhh!" He could just hear silent screams in his head. He always boasted of his intelligence, but this calculus problem goes beyond what his, yes, intelligence can do. He lowered his now aching head and let his eyes drop to his paper. He never imagined this problem would be included in the exam, when he had just browsed over the same exact question on his textbook minutes before taking the test. 

Again, he hears himself scream silently.

Riiinnggg! 

There it goes. He hopes that every answer on his paper justifies the hard questions on this final exam on this final official school day. Well, except for that hard one. He quickly scrawled whatever popped on his head.

"Okay that's enough. Did I just say 'enough' Lee Hyuk Jae-ssi?"

"Sorry Sir Han Geng." Hyuk Jae replied as the math teacher grabbed the paper from his desk.

As soon as the teacher walked past their seats, Sung Min, Hyuk Jae's seat mate started conversation.

"Hey Eunhyuk, so have you decided yet? It's not like we're going somewhere forbidden. Or would you prefer going somewhere forbidden?"

Sung Min playfully twitched his eyebrows as he looked naughtily at Hyuk Jae or commonly known as Eunhyuk to his friends.

"Stop that hyung! You know that even if I want to, I can't afford that trip. I can't ask my parents more money since they already paid for next semester's tuition. I need a job for two weeks that we have this school break." Eunhyuk sighed and stared at a girl brushing her hair.

"Okay, okay! I heard you."
"Why don't we ask Si Won to come along as well? He's known to be generous to us poor people." Sung Min suggested as he tapped a classmate's shoulder.

At the sound of his name, Choi Si Won looks behind at his two friends.
"Hey, the last time I came with you guys, I paid for everything. I even dropped you off at your dorm."
Si Won stood up and gestured with his hands. "I can't suffer that same fate!"

"Alright! We won't let you suffer then." Sung Min retorted as he faced Eunhyuk again.

"So how about we get a job the first week, then enjoy vacation before the new semester opens." 
Sung Min suggested as they followed a queue to the door.

Everyone's attention went back to the teacher just as he reminded everybody. 
"All of you better pass this major subject or we'll meet again and you won't forget our second meeting. I promise."
He said as he reviewed a certain piece of paper.
"And Lee Hyuk Jae-ssi, 'E=mc2' I believe, belongs to another subject!"
"Oh, I hope you pass this exam so I won't see you next semester!"

They barely heard the last words because they were past the door and running out to the field while laughing out loud.
-----
The three friends were met by stares from swooning girls. A smile from Choi Si Won can leave a girl dazed for a whole day. A wink from Lee Sung Min can make a girl cry. And Eunhyuk's stare can make every girl's heart beat at 140 bpm. But the three ignored them as always.

"Si Won-ah, your parents spoil you with luxury. Even that car you drive is only seen on showcases." Sung Min broached the subject of Si Won's wealth.
"I can't help it. Either they give me expensive gifts or their money wastes away as taxes." Si Won defended.
"And you have five platinum credit cards, the world at your feet, and yet you can't treat us to lunch?" Eunhyuk teased.
"Ahh! We're hungry!" Eunhyuk and Sung Min cried together.
"Alright! But just this time okay. You two seem to take advantage of my generosity." Si Won then conceded.
"What? Us? Take advantage? Never!" Eunhyuk innocently looked at Si Won with puppy eyes.
They laughed as they hurried along to get to the cafeteria before it filled with hungry students.

While eating, Si Won came up with a suggestion that he knew would interest his two friends.
"Since you both decided to take jobs this coming school break, why don't you come at our hotel and work part-time?"
"You get paid the same amount a regular employee gets, have free meals, and you can stay at the employees' housing accommodation."
Si Won then looked expectantly at his two friends who seemed interested only at what they're eating.

"Ummm. What's the catch?" Eunhyuk raised his head a fraction from his bowl as he asked.
"You! You always think that everything has to be reciprocated." Si Won again gestured with his hand and glared at Eunhyuk.
"Wow! That's a big word. 'Reciprocate'." Sung Min laughed as soup trickled down his chin.
Eunhyuk laughed along and suddenly wished he didn't. 
"Good for you, choking on the good food I paid for, while laughing at my generous offer." Si Won reprimanded, handing Eunhyuk a bottle of water.
"Ehermmm! Aww! That hurts." Eunhyuk protested as Sung Min patted him heavily at the back looking concerned.
"So really. What's the catch?" Sung Min revived the question as he handed Eunhyuk a tissue paper to wipe his nose and mouth which is filled with rice and seaweed.
"Nothing really. Just ahmm.." Si Won was suddenly at a loss for words.
"I knew it! Is it a girl?" Eunhyuk prodded.
"Beautiful?" Sung Min added.
"Tall?" 
"Rich?"

"Stop!"
Eunhyuk and Sung Min halted their questions and continued eating.

"Ermm, actually it's a GUY." Si Won then blurted out.
After a second Si Won's eyesight blurred with flying rice, seaweed, onion, meat and soup, hurtling at him at 30mph.
"Arghh! What the...!" He suddenly stood up and immediately wiped the grime off his face, neck and shirt.
"Say that again." Eunhyuk said not caring that Si Won's face and shirt was filled with a part of their lunch.
"And we thought you'd be conservative." Sung Min teased as he grabbed Eunhyuk's bottled water.

After a couple of minutes, a bunch of tissue paper and apologies to nearby students, Si Won calmed down and explained further.
"Uhmm...so there was this guy at the hotel. STOP SMIRKING!" 
Sung Min and Eunhyuk behaved like twelve year-olds and listened as Si Won glared with his big eyes.
"If I see a muscle twitch on any of your faces, I'll take back my Wii!" Si Won threatened before he resumed.
"Uhmmm..." Sung Min fidgeted.
"What!" Si Won irritated, shouted at Sung Min.
Sung Min pointed at Si Won
"Seaweed. Right ear."
Eunhyuk also pointed.
"Hair. Rice."
Si Won immediately wiped the said food particles off of him and glared at the two people who he considers friends.

He sat down again and with his slanted eyes dared the two to interrupt.
"So, there was this guest. I knew he was a guest because I saw him leave a key-card at the lobby before going out. I chanced on him a couple of times already. And always, even if I run, his white car would already be on the driveway."
"I didn't think of my plan until you mentioned that you needed jobs for the school break."

Eunhyuk worriedly looked at Sung Min before he asked.
"So, what's the plan?"
Si Won just smiled, placed both hands behind his head and stared at the cafeteria's ceiling.
------------------------
"This is his PLAN?!!"
Eunhyuk hopeless, looked at Sung Min. 
With travel bags still on their shoulders, they were shoved inside a room with two beds, two chairs, a table and a large armoire. They were given a piece of paper filled with small prints.

Eunhyuk waved the said paper as he tossed his bag on an empty bed.
"Yeah, he really needs help. Once I'm finished with him, he'll really need all the help he could get."

Sung Min plopped down on one bed and stretched like a tired cat. 
"Yah! you said you need a job and there it is. And remember that I only consented to this because I only want to help you raise money for our vacation."

"Oh yeah! Wait till you see what's in store for us. I thought we only have to work part-time, and as far as I can recall he needs our help more than I need a job." Eunhyuk tossed the paper at Sung Min's face before exploring the room.

"What the h**ll is this?"
"Lee Hyuk Jae and Lee Sung Min
assigned to Penthouse, 15th, 14th and 2nd floors.
Free hours 12:30PM-1PM; 5:30PM-6PM
Report directly to me--Choi Si Won."

"All these details. Oh look we get our very own mop, scraper, hand brush, squeegee, vacuum cleaner, and glass cleaner too!! Lucky us!" 
Sung Min's sarcasm was evident on his yelps as he reads on.

Eunhyuk jerked the armoire's double doors almost expecting a laughing Si Won on the other side. Seeing only empty shelves, he then focused his attention to framed photographs on the wall. He noticed one that portrayed a man. He looked closely and saw a handsome man with a smile on his lips and eyes that seem to sparkle despite the black and white photo of that generation. Hmm, maybe Si Won's ancestor. Not bad looking. 

Eunhyuk noticed the only window at the room.
"Hey, we can still escape! Come, tie those bed sheets together and hold it while I climb down."

"Are you crazy? We're on the second floor idiot! We can just jump at those bushes." 
Sung Min contemplated while looking outside the window and seriously considered Eunhyuk's crazy escape plan.

"You'll certainly die first before you can even get on that window sill!"
Sung Min and Eunhyuk jumped at Si Won's sudden appearance at the door.
"Yah! I said I need a job for next week's vacation. It seems that after the week's over, I'll need the whole of next week for resting."
Eunhyuk flailed his arms as he spoke and sat at the window sill, as if ready to jump over the window to freedom.
With reverence, Sung Min placed the piece of paper on Si won's hands, knelt on one knee and with sarcastic intent said,
"Your highness."
"Hey, I only wrote that because I want the hotel manager to believe that you really are working part-time." Si Won dismissed Sung Min's kneeling form and sat at one of the room's maple chairs.
Sung Min stood up with both hands on his hips said, "Then explain. Right now!"
"And this whole cleaning stuff, I don't mind cleaning several rooms, but 3 floors and the penthouse!"

"Hey, I'll give a bonus so stop complaining. Besides, you only have to clean when you're not stalking." Si Won leaned back and smiled.
"Stalking? Ahhh, your lover guy right. So you hired us mainly to stalk your crush, and after that clean the penthouse right?!" Eunhyuk rolled his eyes and let his head rest on his hands as if welcoming a headache.
"Well...And he's not yet my lover. But I plan on that. "
"Wipe that smile or I'll literally throw you out that window." Si Won stood up and slowly walked towards Eunhyuk.

Eunhyuk immediately got down from the window sill and stood at attention complete with a salute. Sung Min laughed, stood by his friend and imitated his salute.

Si Won then grabbed each of his friends' shoulders and pulled them out the door.
"Time to work! I need to get my money's worth."
------
"Do I need to wear this cap? I look like that monkey from 'Alladin'." Eunhyuk despaired over his uniform.
"And who do you think I look like? Tiffany from SNSD?" Sung Min strutted looking happy and content.

Just then Si Won came running while waving his hands signaling for them to come immediately. 
"Okay. He just got back. Now go and get his luggage. him to his room, you must know everything about him understand?"
He shoved his two friends towards a guy just entering the hotel's lobby.
"I couldn't understand how he can't just look at the guest list." Sung Min complained as he adjusted his hat.


"Good morning!" Eunhyuk and Sung Min bowed and chimed simultaneously. 
"May we get you luggage and accompany you to your room?"
They scrutinized the tall guy as they were instructed. He was about Si Won's height, of slight build, wearing expensive clothes and perfume, Eunhyuk surmised that the guy is rich. His imagination did not get far as the guy answered a call and talked in Mandarin. Sung Min's jaw dropped while Eunhyuk covered his mouth in surprise. Now what? They couldn't understand a thing!

They just stared at the guy until he finished his conversation on the phone. They occasionally heard him laugh with a very sweet voice. They see his dark brown eyes laugh as well and smiled at them. 
"Oh yes, please. Thank you. I appreciate the help. You're new." 
Eunhyuk and Sung Min were startled that they can understand what this guy was saying and realized that he wasn't talking in Mandarin anymore.

"Eh."
"Oh, yes. We're new here. We work part-time only and we only clean when we're not st-----ouch!."
Sung Min elbowed Eunhyuk hard to prevent him from spilling their mission.
"Let him get your things and I'll have the key please." Sung Min shoved the luggage at Eunhyuk while accepting the key-card from the now confused guy.

On the elevator, Eunhyuk nudged Sung Min to begin conversation with Si Won's soon-to-be-lover. 
He had already pressed number 15, waited for the elevator to climb up when Sung Min decided to talk.
He started the conversation as if their previous chat was cut off.
"So, you're from China?" He deduced since he heard him talk in Mandarin a while ago.
"I've never been to China before. Since I can't go there even in the near future it's a pleasure to have met a very er, nice Chinese." 
Awkward.
Eunhyuk looked at Sung Min and suppressed a laugh that led to a sound close to a snort.
Sung Min then glared at Eunhyuk and with his head tilting on their guest's direction, dared him to continue with their mission.
"So, you have been to this hotel before I assume. Well, since you noticed that we're new here." Eunhyuk faced the Chinese man and smiled his gummy smile.
"Yes, I guess I frequent this hotel. It's because it's the most convenient for my business. I really like it here." The man replied.

Ding!
The elevator signaled that they have reached their destination. Sung Min hurried along the hallway to room 1518 and quickly opened the door for their guest. Eunhyuk Immediately followed and placed all the luggage near the cabinets for their guest's convenience. Just as he was turning for the door, he noticed something and stooped down.

"Thank you for your help. " The man reached out his hand to Sung Min before allowing them out the door. As the door of the suite closed, Sung Min peeked at what the other man placed on his palm and squealed with delight at the sight of a 10,000KRW bill.
But Eunhyuk might have the biggest prize yet.
"Hyung. Do you think this amount to a big bonus?"
Sung Min and Eunhyuk smiled maliciously as they inspected a luggage tag with torn strap.
---------