3. A Makeover

On the Other Side of the Fence [HIATUS]

 

Thank you to everybody who participated in my "fundraiser"!

Especially to ThisMomentWhen, who donated 500 karma!

I have bid on Saturday, September 7, 2013 with 950 karma! I hope you look out for it!

 

This chapter is dedicated for all those who donated!

 

Again, thank you all!

 


 

"How about. . . We dye your hair?" Sunho asked, picking at Hongki's light-brown locks of hair. "Maybe a white-ish blonde? It'll match your skin tone!"

Hongki sighed, staring himself in the mirror. "Whatever you want. But seriously. Is changing me going to make myself more appealing to Jonghoon? I want him to like me for who I am, not a canvas to be changed. . ."

"No, no no!" Sunho exclaimed. "Not a canvas. We're just going to try to show him different sides of you. Right now, with your brown hair and decent clothes, you look casual. When I'm done with you, you'll look y. Then soon, we'll go to cute! Maybe even flashy! You're signing up for the talent show, right?"

"I don't know yet," Hongki shrugged. "My only talent is singing, but I just don't know what song to sing."

Sunho nodded. "Well, I'll help you with that, but let's worry about your appearance for now. Maybe a bit of BB cream and-" he started, but he was interrupted by Hongki's phone.

He picked it up. "Text from your mom."

"Read it aloud."

" 'Hongki, tomorrow the Choi's are coming over for dinner. You're at Sunho's, right? Call!' " Sunho read.

Hongki grabbed the phone and dialed his mom's number. "Hello?"

"You're at Sunho's, right?" his mom asked.

"Yeah. He's giving me a makeover."

"Really? Give him the phone," his mom instructed.

"Okay then. . ." Hongki said and handed the phone to Sunho.

"Hello?" . . . "Oh, yes, I am." . . . "Really?" . . . "Thank you!" . . . "Yeah, we'll come by now." . . . "Thank you!" and Sunho hung up.

"What did she say?" Hongki asked.

"Let's go to your house," Sunho said. "Your mom's excited about me changing you, so she wants us to pick up her credit card so that you can go shopping!"

He rolled his eyes. "Does my mom really hate the way I look that much?"

"No," Sunho replied, packing up his make-up stuff. "She said that you look to plain and casual. She wants you to stand out more, so she wants you to buy some clothes that you like."

"But I like these clothes!" Hongki said. "I'm wearing them right now!"

Sunho examined him. "Loose light blue jeans. . ." he commented, pulling at the fabric. "Round-neck solid-red t-shirt. . . Plain beige sneakers. . ."

He stepped back. "Lee Hongki, I am so picking your clothes for you!" he said, running out the door.

Hongki sighed and ran after him.

 

 

"No. Way."

"But it's fashion!" Sunho whined, shoving countless pairs of slim, tight, and skinny jeans into Hongki's arms. "You'll look hot and y!"

Hongki scoffed. "I don't want to look 'hot and y.' I want to be comfortable."

"Well, fashion comes at a price, and that's being comfortable. Besides, these jeans aren't that bad! Go try them on, and I'm going to search for a pair of shoes for you!"

He sighed. "Fine." Then he made his way to the changing room.

 

 

"Oh my, Hongki!" his mom gushed. "You look so stylish and handsome! And your hair! Your eyes! Your skin! Sunho, you're magic!"

Sunho blushed at the compliment. "Thank you, Mrs. Lee."

Hongki was weraing a teal pair of skinny jeans, dark Converses, and a tight, v-neck white-and-gray striped t-shirt. His hair was dyed light-blonde and his bangs were hanging over his forehead, with some of the hair cut away. A thin touch of eyeliner and a mild layer of BB cream covered his face.

Hongki sighed. "Thanks for the credit card," he said, handing the card to his mom.

His mom smiled. "Of course, honey! Now, go wash up. Sunho, would you like to stay for dinner? It's the least I can do!"

Sunho smiled and nodded. "Thank you!"

 

 

"Is that Hongki?"

"Lee Hongki?"

"Oh. My. Gosh."

"What a hottie!"

"Wasn't he the plain, boring one?"

"But he sings well."

"Jonghoon oppa!" Soyou called.

Jonghoon looked up from the locker. "Yeah?"

"Look at Hongki over there!" she said, pointing to a pair of guys walking toward them in the hallway.

"Hongki?" he said, peering closer. No way, he thought.

He looks good. . .

Skinny jeans, blonde hair, v-necks, very fashionable. . .

Soyou smiled. "Isn't he so handsome? It's like he got an over-night makeover! Oh, Jonghoon oppa! Can I give you a make-over?"

Jonghoon smiled but shook his head. "I like the way I am."

She pouted. "Oppa~"

He shook his head again. "Go to class. Don't be late."

Soyou smiled. "Fine. Bye!" She kissed him on the lips, and ran off.

He blushed and smiled, walking in the same direction as Hongki.

 

 

"Oh my gosh! You got more handsome than Kim Myungsoo! All the girls are talking about you!" Sunho quietly yelled.

Hongki looked up from his textbook. "I got English next, and I need to study."

Sunho huffed. "But it's homeroom! 30 minutes of free time, an-"

"Excuse me?"

The duo looked up toward the door, and saw Choi Jonghoon standing there.

The teacher glanced at him from her desk. "May I help you?"

"The Chemistry teacher wanted me to get Lee Hongki," he said.

Hongki's heart stopped. Get me?

The teacher nodded and faced the classroom. "Lee Hongki? You are dismissed. Please follow Choi Jonghoon."

He briskly nodded and packed up his belongings, and walked out of the classroom with his crush.

 

 

"You two are the best in my classes this year," the Chemistry teacher said.

Hongki looked up, surprised. Me? Best? In Chemistry? Are you joking?

"Mr. Choi, you were always great in this subject, but Mr. Lee, you have shown massive improvement. Good job," she said.

"Anyway, I called you here because there is this Chemistry competition. The teacher in charge of the subject in the school, that's me, picks a team of two to represent our school for one day and one day only. You go, and you show judges different concoctions that you make during the time given to you. In response to that, I chose you two. You both seem to work very well together," she commented.

Hongki's cheeks tinted a faint red. "Thank you."

Jonghoon only nodded.

"So are you willing to go? It's this Monday. You don't come to school. You go straight to the rec center down the street, and all the materials are given to you."

Hongki looked up. "I don't know. . ."

"I'll do it," Jonghoon said.

The teacher clapped her hands. "Wonderful! And you?"

Hongki shook his head. "Can I have some time to think about it?"

She nodded. "Tell me by the end of the day. I need to submit your names once school ends."

 

 

Hongki and Jonghoon left the classroom together, and Hongki went to his locker. But Jonghoon followed.

Strange. . . His locker's over there. . . Maybe this is the way to his classroom? he thought.

Hongki opened his locker, and dug around for his English binder. When he closed it, Jonghoon was standing next to him.

Hongki stepped back. "You scared me. . ." he gasped.

"I hope you do the Chemistry competition with me," Jonghoon said.

Hongki blinked. ". . . huh?"

Jonghoon smiled. "We make a great team."

Then he left.

 

 

"Hongki? Back already? I sent you and Jonghoon out 5 minutes ago," the teacher said.

"I'll do it. I'll do the contest," Hongki said.

She smiled. "Great! What changed your mind?" she asked, pulling out an official-looking piece of paper and writing their names on it.

"Jonghoon. . . persuaded me. . ." Hongki said, blushing and smiling at the same time.

 

 

Jonghoon knocked his head against his own locker and sighed.

What did I just do?

But he smiled anyway.