2. The Library's Table & 'Cupid's Brew'

On the Other Side of the Fence [HIATUS]

 

Note: This fanfic is no longer Rated M. There will be nothing Rated M for the entire story.

But there will be a special ending for those interested.

Sorry!

-imhyung-

 


 

Sunho and Hongki sat together on the bus, while Jonghoon quickly passed them in the aisle and sat in the very back of the bus, pulling out headphones from his bag and plugged them into his phone.

Hongki turned to the front of the bus and sighed. "You know, Sunho, I doubt that he'll notice me. I should just give up on him now. Nothing's in his life, except for music and Jihyun."

"That's it! Tomorrow, let's go to the nightclub down the street! It's Friday night, so Jonghoon will be there. You'll show him your appearance even after school ends! Plus, I'll get to see you-know-who~" he sang.

Hongki nodded, knowing exactly who his friend was talking about.

"Okay. But remember, my change won't happen until after school. So try to contain yourself," Hongki said.

Sunho bowed his head. "Fine."

"Oh, before I forget. I have a test after lunch, so I'm skipping lunch. I'll be in the library," Hongki said, putting his bookbag in his lap and rummaging around for a certain textbook.

"What?!" Sunho exclaimed. "I have to sit alone today? Can't I go to the library with you?"

Hongki sighed. "No. I need to focus. With you, I won't be able to study. Plus, you'll probably get us kicked out again. You don't practice your dance on a library table," he reminded. "Just eat lunch in the practice room."

He huffed. "Fine. You owe me."

Hongki smiled. "No I don't."

 

 

The first half of the day sped by Hongki. He hardly noticed the time going by. Then again, Jonghoon was in none of his classes, so he could only work on his studies.

Finally, lunch time arrived, and every student at the high school went to have lunch either at the extremely-large cafeteria or they left to have lunch outside at a cafe or restuarant.

Hongki, however, walked to the library. Picking a quiet corner to sit in, he unpacked his belongings and spread his notes around about half of the table.

He bent down in concentration, so he didn't notice that the library filled with other students. In a couple minutes, every table was occupied.

"Excuse me?"

"Yes?" Hongki asked, not looking up. The voice wasn't an adult, so he thought it wasn't important, though the voice sounded faintly familiar.

"Mind if I sit here? There aren't any tables left."

"Oh, really? Sure then," he answered, reaching over to grab a few stray pencils and paper. Then he decided to look at the face of the person.

Hongki internally squeaked.

Choi Jonghoon was sitting with him.

Choi JONGHOON was SITTING with HIM.

Choi JONGHOON was SITTING with HIM.

Oh. My. Gosh. he thought.

But Jonghoon barely paid attention to him after their brief conversation. He basically pretended that Hongki wasn't there.

But he did notice when Hongki was staring at him for an abnormal amount of time.

"Umm, hello?" he asked awkwardly.

Hongki snapped out of his thoughts, and sheepishly blushed. "Oh, sorry. . ."

Jonghoon gave a small smile. "No worries."

Then Jonghoon bent his head down again, and thankfully he didn't note Hongki silently banging his head on the table.

 

 

Luckily, Hongki studied well and was able to pass the test.

Now, he just had to make it through his worst subject:

Chemistry.

Oh, how he hated science. . .

But he strived to succeed, since Jonghoon was such a brainiac with science-y stuff. He won the Science Fair last year with some experiment that Hongki couldn't remember.

Also, Hongki tried because by a of luck, Jonghoon ended up being Hongki's lab partner, which meant that they sat next to each other every day. He didn't want Jonghoon to think he wasn't smart, so he dedicated hours to Chemistry itself, but he just couldn't understand the concepts.

"Alright, class!" the teacher said.

Hongki gulped. She was wearing a lab coat, which meant today was a lab, which meant they had to do stuff.

"Today, we're going to experiment with different chemicals. We will be doing contests to get the correct reaction. For example, the smelliest, the one that produces the most gas, the most vibrant color, et cetera. Now, if you're on the left," referring to Hongki, "come up and get the chemicals from me. If you're on the right," which meant Jonghoon, "you have to wipe the table and your equipment clean."

Hongki heard Jonghoon sigh next to him. Hongki knew that the other hated cleaning the equipment.

He turned to him. "Why don't I clean the stuff and you can get the chemicals? I'm kinda clumsy," he half-lied. That wasn't neccessarily true, but Hongki was rather butter-.

Jonghoon smiled and nodded. "Thanks. . . umm. . . Hongki, right?"

Hongki nodded vigorously. "Yes!"

He smiled again and went to get the chemicals, while Hongki hummed to himself, carefully wiping the fragile glass with a disinfect towel.

I can't believe he remembered my name! Even though we've been lab partners for about 5 months now. . . he thought bitterly, remembering this morning.

"I got the stuff!" Jonghoon announced, gingerly setting them on the table.

"Now, class, since you have your materials, here are your directions. You must write down exactly what chemical and how much you add in your lab book. Your first task: make a solution that smells sweet or fragrant. You may use any materials available to you."

Hongki sighed. "Jonghoon, I'm not very good with chemicals. . ." he confessed.

Jonghoon smiled in response. "Don't worry. This is trial and error. Now, I have a book that defines certain chemical compounds," he said, flipping through said book.

Soon, the room was filled with contrasting scents, some tolerable, and some that led to certain pairs exiting the room to puke and the opening of windows.

Hongki and Jonghoon's mixture, however, was a light pink and was bubbling slightly in reaction to the tiny flame put under it. A heavy, sugary aroma surrounded the concoction, and many people stopped their own experiments to smell their's.

The teacher glanced at their's. "Interesting," she commented. "Cupid's Brew, am I correct?"

What? Cupid's Brew? Hongki thought.

"Yeah. My book said that the smell was "heavenly and intoxicating." " Jonghoon said.

She nodded. "Correct. The scent is wonderful to behold, and it's said that the people making it will experience true love," she said.

Hongki peeked at Jonghoon and reddened. True love, huh? he thought, hopefully.

"Hongki, I think you need to step back. I think you inhaled too much of Cupid's Brew. Your face is flushed," the teacher said, causing the entire class to stare at him.

Screw you, he thought, too flustered to even look at anyone anymore.

 

 

"Oh, you won't believe what happened to me!" Sunho said on the bus.

"Same here," Hongki said. "You first."

"So, I did what you told me. Go to the practice room during lunch. Well, SISTAR was there, and they were practicing for tomorrow's show. I got to watch! They even asked me to help them with their posture and stuff by critiquing them. We have to go to their show tomorrow night. They're amazing!" he gasped, obviously lovesick.

"Well, the teacher embarrassed me because I turned red when the teacher said that we were making Cupid's Brew, which says that the people making it will experience true love," he said quietly.

Sunho just stared at him.

Until. . .

"BWA HA HA HA HA!!! Seriously?! Did Jonghoon notice?" he asked between laughs.

"I don't know," he said. "I didn't look at anyone after that. I kept my head down."

"Tsk tsk," he tutted. "C'mon. It's our stop," he said.

The duo jumped off along with a couple other people (including a certain someone with the last name Choi), but Hongki didn't notice as he was whisked away to Sunho's house for a complete makeover.