1. Windows, Visits, and After-School Plans

On the Other Side of the Fence [HIATUS]

 

"Hongki, wake up!"

Lee Hongki tiredly sat up and rubbed his eyes, yawning. "Okay, mom! I'm up!" he yelled back.

He flipped the blankets off of him and slowly shuffled to the bathroom.

After "going" and washing his face, he stared at the mirror, trying to fix his hair.

When he finally got it to the desired style, he smiled confidently and strode out of the bathroom to change.

After he put on his favorite blue jeans, he decided to sneak a peek at the window.

Why?

To see if Choi Jonghoon was up, of course.

As always, he was up and preparing for school, shoving books into his sturdy red backpack, sitting on the wooden chair of his wooden desk, covered in sheet music and pencils. A beautiful acoustic guitar was resting against the desk, right next to a professional black music stand.

Hongki wasn't a stalker.

He just glanced at the other's room so many times that he just happened to remember every single excruciating detail.

When Hongki first moved in 2 years ago, he was delighted to have a more-than-perfect view of the hottie-next-door's room.

Just then, Jonghoon picked up his phone and smiled, answering it immediately.

Hongki frowned and sighed, changing his shirt. Probably Jihyun. . .

It wasn't really his fault that Choi Jonghoon was dating a really beautiful girl for a year now. Hongki felt so. . . rejected when Hongki saw Jonghoon showing Jihyun his room. 

It made Hongki realize: Choi Jonghoon is not gay, and will never be.

So Hongki learned to be satisfied with watching his crush though the windows, only divided by a white wooden fence.

 

 

 

"Hey Hongki-hyung!" Sunho said.

Hongki smiled. "Hi Sunho!"

When Hongki first moved in, the neighbors across the street sent their high-school son over to help.

Which happened to be Park Sunho.

They soon became good friends. They made a perfect duet, with Hongki's vocals and Sunho's dancing, they spent hours in Hongki's bedroom with his karaoke machine.

Suho glanced at Jonghoon's house. "How was today?" he asked.

Hongki's face fell. "Talking to Jihyun again. He'll probably miss the bus again," he sighed.

What made Sunho special was that he was the only person other than Hongki himself to know he's gay. Yet Sunho had accepted it with open arms. In fact, he even told Hongki his long-time crush.

Sunho got an idea. "Why don't walk over to his house and remind him the bus? You'll get a chance to talk to him, he won't miss the bus, it's a win-win!"

Hongki looked up. "Do you really think that'll work?"

Sunho nodded vigorously. "Yep! Foolproof!"

"Alright," he answered, clenching his fists. "Fighting!"

 

 

 

*knock knock*

"Hello? Oh, hi, Hongki! What are you doing here?" Mrs. Choi asked.

"Oh," he said, realizing that he had no idea what to say. "Umm. . . Jonghoon missed the bus last week, so I just came to make sure. . ." his voice losing confidence.

Mrs. Choi smiled. "You're a sweet boy!" she commented before turning to the grand staircase leading upstairs. "Choi Jonghoon! Your friend's here to remind you about the bus!"

"No wait! We're not really frien-" he tried to say, but she interrupted him.

"Not friends? Nonsense! How else could you have come here?" she asked, before resuming her yelling at her son. "Choi Jonghoon! Get your down here! Not only will you be late, but your friend," emphasizing the word "friend" deeply, "will be late too! Come down, NOW!"

About a minute later, Choi Jonghoon casually walked down the stairs and in front of Hongki and his mother.

Hongki gasped. He looks so much hotter in person. . . he thought.

Jonghoon glanced at Hongki. "Thanks. . . erm. . . Hanji?"

"Jonghoon!" Mrs. Choi said. "Hongki has been our neighbor and going to your school for a year, 2 years! How could you not know his name?"

Jonghoon shurgged. "Sorry, Hongki."

Hongki shook his head, blushing. "No, it's okay!" a bit too loudly.

"Anyway, why don't you and your parents come over for dinner today?" Mrs. Choi asked. "I'll call them while you're at school. Now, don't miss the bus!" she commanded, lightly pushing them out the door.

Jonghoon and Hongki started to walk down the pathway in silence until Jonghoon said, "Well, thanks, Hongki," he said in a bored tone.

"It's fine," Hongki said before running over to Sunho and hiding his red face.

"Well? How did it go?" Sunho demanded.

"He. . . called me "Hanji," and he didn't seem that interested in me," he answered honestly.

"What?!" he asked incredously. "But, you look so good today!"

Hongki blushed even more. "Thanks."

The duo turned to Jonghoon again, and he was talking on his phone again, and his face was lit up, smiling and laughing.

Hongki felt so jealous of Jihyun. "He never looks like that around me. He probably doesn't like me," he said sadly.

Sunho tutted. "Then this year, let's try to get his attention!"

Hongki turned to the other. "How? Wait. Why?!"

"If he still doesn't notice you by the time the school year ends, which is in about 5 months, then it's time to move on. But for now, let's make you amazing! After school today, you're coming to my house!" Sunho said.

Hongki thought about it. It has been two years, and I've never made the first move. . .

He nodded. "I'll do it!"

Sunho's face broke out into a grin. "Oh, this will be so much fun! We'll put eyeliner on you and BB cream, maybe dye your hair again, . . ." he said, listing the many things that will be done after school today.