Sehun: The Day I Said Something Stupid

How to Become a Vampire

IMPORTANT!!!! The first chapter was incomplete when posted. If you think you've read the first chapter, please double check before continuing. The note at the top of the first chapter will tell you how to skip to the added portion. Sorry for the inconvenience.

 

It had been about three days since Sehun began eating lunch with Jongin. On the fourth day, the day just before the weekend, he greeted people he had considered somewhat friends, and they didn't greet him back. He didn't feel bad about it - actually, he felt encouraged. If other people started to know him as Kim Jongin's friend, it was only a matter of time before Kim Jongin knew him as a friend.

The girls of the school didn't mind his new lunch partner as much. They spoke to him as usual, and as usual, he winked - poked - and coolly flirted with them in return.

When lunch came, he brought a meatbun with him to Kim Jongin's classroom and joined him as usual at his desk.

Today, Jongin's lunchbox looked even more elegant than usual. Actually, it looked like something Sehun had seen in Japanese comics. Jongin kept his usual posture as he mixed prettily cut vegetables into rice with his chopsticks. He didn't look at Sehun much, but that's something Sehun was becoming accustomed too.

"Seriously, whoever makes your food..." Sehun sort of mumbled as he bit into his own meatbun.

Jongin didn't really respond.

Minutes later, Sehun noted. "Some guys aren't talking to me today. I guess it's because I'm hanging out with you so much." He waited for a look of pity that wouldn't come before he continued. "It's that or this outfit." He gave a brief tug to the sleeve of his uniform and felt overly pleased with the small smile from Jongin.

It was the best he was going to manage before lunch was over. Somewhere, he got on the topic of a TV show everyone was into lately that he didn't like, and Jongin never offered an opinion.

Jongin left first, every speck of his beautiful food eaten, and Sehun stayed back - even though he could use an extra snack before the next class. The silent treatment was something he was getting used to, but he still felt he was only half cracking into Jongin's hard exterior. He thought, he might as well try cutting to the chase, when he got the chance next.

So his next classes went on for far too long. He ended up tapping his pencil, tapping his feet, and even trying to sleep once - but he was never one who could get there in the middle of the day. When the minute hand was at last in it's final stretch towards 6PM, his stomach even rumbled. Then finally, the bell rang.

As usual, Jongin was extremely slow getting to his locker. Today became the first day that he didn't look surprised to see Sehun waiting. He nodded toward him before tending to his lock.

"Where've you been?" Sehun asked as usual, only to be answered with a shrug. He waited until Jongin had his bag ready to go and was snapping his lock closed on his locker before he continued.

"They found three bodies last night," Sehun announced, without much severity in his tone, although the news was true. Bodies kept turning up all over lately, most of them drained of a lot of blood, often with bite wounds somewhere on them. Only people with closed minds and denial problems were really in the dark - although it was very few people who would talk about it openly.

Jongin didn't look like he was very interested. He had probably already heard, after all. He looked at Sehun though, waiting for him to start walking first. He knew at this point that they'd be walking to the gate together.

So Sehun headed for the doors, walking slowly, as Jongin seemed to like to. "One of them was young, like us. I don't think the killers care about age."

Again, not much of a response, but there was a certain darkness to Jongin's expression - like most people would have when you were talking to them about death, Sehun supposed.

"Killers, right? Because one vampire couldn't do all of this damage alone," Sehun said casually, and watched Jongin's expression.

Jongin nodded. Then he abruptly stopped.

Sehun stopped too. He glanced around. The hall was already clear except for the two of them, or it was until a teacher walked out of her class and headed the other way down the hall, toward the office. Her heels were unnaturally loud, and then she was gone.

"Um, so. You okay, Jongin?"

Jongin frowned at Sehun, then turned his attention ahead and walked fast for the doors.

Sehun would have liked to believe that confirmed something about Jongin's relationship with vampires, but Jongin was so weird it was hard to say what it meant. Sehun tried keeping his voice down while he followed. "What? Are you mad because I said vampire?"

"Leave me alone," Jongin had no trouble saying. He switched into a practical run. Sehun even tried to reach out and grab him, but once they were beyond school doors, there were a lot of people around. Sehun came to a stop, watching Jongin's back hurrying away. He called, loudly, "See you tomorrow!"

But there was no school on Saturdays, and Jongin didn't slow down.

On Sehun's walk home, he had a lot of things going through his mind, arguing thoughts about just how much he'd screwed it up. He even found himself caring a little that if he lost Jongin, he'd pretty much be friendless at school. He didn't know why he cared about that. He usually liked being alone there anyway. There was always girls, too..

He felt lonely enough to ignore his hunger, anyway, and turn a street early so that he might meet the only friends that should matter. He was relieved to look at their apartment ahead and spot exactly who he hoped to.

"You better have brought me food," said Sangwan when he spotted Sehun.

Sehun thought Sangwan looked even more rough than usual. There was bruising between his eyes that looked particularly bad and a deep frown on his frequently happy face. "Sorry," he said, and sat next to Sangwan on the apartment building's steps. "I'm hungry too."

"Now isn't a great time," said Sangwan.

"No kidding," Sehun responded.

Sangwan was only one of the four older boys that live together and often hang out on this street, with a cool vibe and obvious connections to the undead.

"Test go wrong or something?" Sangwan's voice was a sigh, and he brushed a hand through his mess of black hair.

"No," Sehun said, "I've been talking to Kim Jongin."

"Sehun-- dammit."

"What? Problem?"

"I knew Jaewoon ed up when he mentioned that name," Sangwan heavily shook his head. "Don't get involved with Kim Jongin, alright? It's dangerous."

Sehun smirked. Sangwan should have known better, really. Nothing could be more encouraging. "Involved? It isn't like we're dating."

"Ha. Ha." Sangwan was unamused.

Sehun shrugged his shoulders, frowning as he recalled Jongin rushing off. Encouraging as 'it's dangerous' might be, Sehun might have already blown it. "I mentioned vampires and he freaked."

"No ."

"Why?" Sehun asked.

"I don't know -- loads of reasons. Who wouldn't freak when you mention vampires? Most people would think you're crazy.."

"He doesn't," Sehun said.

"I guess he doesn't," Sangwan sighed. "Look, you shouldn't come around any more."

"My face might end up looking like yours?"

Sangwan quickly put his hand over his nose, hiding some of that bruising. "It could end up worse."

"I can take it better than you," Sehun had heard it all before, and he couldn't be any less afraid. He glared at Sangwan for even trying.

And finally Sangwan gave up with a heavy sigh. "I'm hungry. I'm gonna go inside."

Sehun stood. "Feed me."

"No chance."

After the building door shut behind Sangwan, Sehun sat down again to try sorting through his thoughts. His stomach kept growling, and his mind kept repeating; "Don't get involved with Kim Jongin."

He kept waiting for Sangwan or one of the others to come out, to answer his questions about Jongin or even to present a new, less complicated question for answering. However, they didn't come out again, even though Sehun waited for what felt like an hour, but couldn't have been that long. He waited until he felt sick with impatience and hunger, then he finally got up and headed home, dreading the uneventful weekend ahead.