Sehun: The Day I Really Wanted Kimbap

How to Become a Vampire

Oh Sehun was in a decent school. He had a resemblance of something he'd call friends and a gang of girls that were easy to flirt with, even if they weren't his exact type. His marks were fine and his teachers were improving them still.

Even so, Sehun disliked this school quite a lot. Like many his age, just 15, he felt he didn't fit in. A stuffy uniform with baby blue accents and a fluorescent lit classroom symbolized everything he wasn't. He liked to get lost in daydreams of another world, one he was aware most certainly existed, one that was dangerous and dark and much more suitable for a man like himself.

While his friends were talking about the most popular girl, her long curling hair and blushing cheeks - Sehun imagined an older woman, tight black pants and glaring eyes. A woman he could sink his teeth into after a vicious fight for dominance, that's what Sehun wanted. Something like that, anyway.. maybe.

Whatever it was that he wanted, he couldn't find it in that school. He was much closer to it, he thought, on his long walks home through unkept streets and shadowy buildings, routes that he didn't need to take but he just felt drawn to. It felt so cool, walking past chipping paint and pausing at this sound and that sound, waiting for someone or something to give him the action he craved.

He made older friends - cooler friends outside of school. They seemed to keep secrets from him and that would piss him off, but he picked up on enough to know they had what he wanted. Bandages and bruises, vague comments about things they did or are going to do for 'those people who don't come out during the day'. These guys played with vampires, Sehun knew - because Sehun knew that vampires were real. He also knew that he was going to be one someday. He had to be.

Sehun told these friends that he knew, and they never denied it. They just said, "Get home before the sunsets then."

Sehun liked to sit outside of his house after sunset and wait for a pale faced, fanged stranger to come try and his blood. For a while, anyway. At 15, he was growing out of futile hopes like that. If you want to get the attention of a vampire, it takes a bit more.

"Sehun - Kim Jongin is in your school, isn't he?"

One of his cool friends asked him that once. Kim Jongin was in the same school as Oh Sehun, but Oh Sehun had never paid that much attention to him before.

Kim Jongin almost never talked, except for when he had to speak to teachers. He had absolutely no friends, and there were a plethora of weird rumors. Enough to catch Sehun's attention, but not to keep it.

"Yeah, he goes to my school."

"Huh.. interesting."

Sehun's friend wouldn't tell him what was so interesting about that, so Sehun was going to find out himself.

"Hi," Sehun greeted Jongin one day during lunch.

Kim Jongin hadn't been easy to find - he was sitting in a classroom alone by the window and even his chewing was quiet.

Jongin had perfect posture. He looked up at Sehun and continued to chew a mouthful. Chopsticks were positioned in his hand over a lunchbox full of kimbap. He didn't appear overly interested in Sehun. Just dully curious.

Well, since Jongin was too busy chewing to invite Sehun to sit, Sehun invited himself - dragging a chair closer to Jongin's desk. "My name's Sehun."

Jongin swallowed and turned his eyes to his food, but pretended to still be quietly chewing. It was obvious he didn't want to talk. Sehun wasn't interested in what Jongin wanted.

"I haven't had anything to eat all day," Sehun said, looking over the kimbap. It was pretty. Truthfully, he had breakfast, but for as hungry as he suddenly felt, he might as well not have. How wonderful would it be to make a friend over free lunch?

However, Jongin just took another piece of kimbap for himself, filled his mouth with it, and his expression said clear as day - 'get your own.'

"You're Jongin, right?" Sehun looked at him. "Kim Jongin?"

Jongin only chewed. Sehun already knew, and Jongin didn't need to confirm it - even if he wanted to and it looked like he did not.

"Hey," Sehun boldly reached over to pat Jongin's bicep. "Let's be friends."

While Jongin swallowed, he slowly shook his head. 'No.'

"I think we're a lot alike," Sehun insisted. "We don't really fit in with the other people around here, right? .. Hey, it's okay, you don't have to talk to me. We can be quiet friends, right?"

Jongin just got another piece of kimbap.

Sehun watched him a bit longer after that, trying to be patient. Jongin seemed to just about  forget that Sehun was there, except for when he occasionally threw him a cautious glance. The minutes were flying by.. and Sehun wasn't going to have time to get any food at this point for himself.

Sehun sighed and pressed, "Do you want me to go away?"

Jongin shrugged.

Sehun tapped his foot on the ground. He wished Jongin would tell him to go away, that would be more simple - but Sehun wouldn't give up that easily either.

There's only one piece of kimbap left. Damn.. Kim Jongin eats quite well.

Sehun was practically drooling as the last piece was eaten - on the inside. He thought he must have looked quite cool, under the circumstances. It was harder to watch Jongin swallow than it was to watch him chew - as if there was still some hope in the chewed up rice within that mouth. He twitched.

"Was it.. good?" Sehun asked.

Jongin raised a brow at Sehun, nodded, and drank from a bottle of water before he got up. He put his lunchbox together as he did so.

Sehun got up too. "Want to ditch next period together?"

Jongin shot him a look. His lunchbox ready to go, he headed out the room. Sehun started to follow him, but again, his stomach rumbled. He needed something to eat - fast.

(Update!)

"You ate with Kim Jongin, right?" Sehun's 'friend' asked in a hushed voice after lunch. Sehun had managed to scarf down a bag of chips from the vending machine and drink half a bottle of juice before the bell rang.

They sat at the back of ongoing class and they were supposed to be copying english phrases from the chalkboard. When that friend - Jiyong, he was called - asked, his expression was judgmental as it was curious, which sort of annoyed Sehun - but it was nothing unexpected.

"Not really." Sehun thought of leaving it at that. He didn't eat with Jongin. He watched Jongin eat. Besides, it's not as if they spoke or anything. Even so, he was too curious not to counter. "Why? What's up with him?"

"You're the one eating with him," said Jiyong, apparently dismissive of Sehun's denial, "You tell me."

Of course. Nothing to gain from a guy like this. Sehun sighed and copied a few more phrases down. "Doesn't he talk to anyone?"

Jiyong scoffed, "No. Isn't he retarded or something?"

Sehun rolled his eyes and shut his mouth tight. It became hard to focus for the rest of that period.

After school was let out, Sehun was half-frustrated while he looked around for Jongin, who seemed to not be anywhere. He followed the guidance of a female friend and eventually ended up at Jongin's locker, or what she thought was Jongin's locker, but maybe Jongin had already come and gone.

The hall was almost empty of other students before Sehun decided to give up the wait. He readjusted his backpack and started toward the exit. He made it almost all the way down the hall before the sound of a locker opening drew his attention, and he looked over his shoulder.

Jongin was in no sort of hurry, in contrast to everyone else Sehun had ever known after school. He pulled a bag from his locker, setting it on the floor to carefully fit a binder in.

Sehun turned back and hurried over to greet him. "Hi."

Jongin looked up at Sehun. It was weird, like he was scared for a half-second. Then he just frowned, zipped his bag, and stood up straight.

"You don't talk to anyone, huh?" Sehun walked up and closed Jongin's locker for him.

That amount of 'help' just earned Sehun another odd look, and Jongin put his lock on before heading silently down the hall.

Sehun frowned. Why, he wondered, did he feel like the bother, when Jongin was being the rude one? He followed, and Jongin was walking slow enough that it was easy to keep up. "So, do you go home after school or what?"

"Home," Jongin answered, causing Sehun to practically jump.

"You do talk?"

Jongin shrugged.

"Where do you live?"

Jongin's throat seemed to work hard for his answer. His eyes squinted and adam's apple bobbed before he managed to say, "You can't come."

"I wasn't asking to.." Sehun stared at Jongin, trying to work out exactly what that was. Maybe his throat was sore, or something. Maybe he just can't talk properly, like some disability. Either way, Sehun figured he should probably lay off the questions for a while.

It wasn't like he couldn't do the talking. He was charismatic enough for such a challenge, he thought.

"I never go straight home. I'm not in any clubs or anything, I just prefer doing my own thing. Home is boring. My parents are nice, when they're around, but you know.."

He glanced at Jongin, who appeared to be deeply in thought about... the floor area.

"Well, maybe you don't know. But anyway, they're not around much." Sehun felt more stupid than expected, talking to someone so quiet with no idea whether or not he was being listened to. He definitely needed to find a lighter topic anyway.

Since one didn't jump into mind, the two of them walked without words for a bit, until they were a few steps out of the main entrance. Jongin seemed to be softening up some, just kind of focusing his eyes anywhere but Sehun.

Finally, Sehun tried. "You seriously made me want kimbap today. I wanted to kill you."

Jongin was looking in the other direction, but by the way his cheek twitched, Sehun thought he probably smiled.. maybe a little.

"Seriously," Sehun continued, encouraged by what was probably only a hallucination, "Who packs your lunch? My mom bakes for a living but I even have to buy bread." He hesitated and shortly laughed at himself. "Wow, I'm making my life seem pretty pitiful right now."

Jongin looked back at Sehun with the slightest hint of a smile before quickly looking away again.

"Did you just smile? Ah, now it all makes sense," Sehun suggested. "You're some kind of sadist, aren't you?" He came to a pause outside of the school's gate. "I guess you're gonna head to.. the bus stop?"

Jongin nodded, repeatedly, as he hesitated to continue on - but never came to a full pause. He continued his slow pace toward the same direction that most other students went - the direction opposite Sehun's way home.

Sehun could have followed him another little ways, but something told him he shouldn't. "See you tomorrow, Jongin."

At those words, Jongin kind of hesitated again, but he walked on - leaving Sehun to soak in several new ideas and theories about his mysterious new friend.