That Voice

A Bad Girl

"RiSe!" I turn around to be greeted by my best friend, Ashley. A smile automatically breaks out on my face as I hug her like there's no tomorrow. It's been 2 years since I left to go study abroad. Though we chatted with each other online from time to time, nothing can compare to the bliss feeling of finally being able to see her in person again. "You're choking me RiSe," Ashley exclaims while patting my .

I loosen my hug. "Yah, it's been how long since I've seen you? Just let me stay like this for a while longer." I close my eyes and stay like that for a good while, sinking in the feeling of being back home. It's so good to be back. I have so much to tell Ash-

"RiSe." I froze. That voice. That calm and soothing voice that calls out my name like it's the most treasurable word in the world. I open my eyes to be met with his face, gently smiling towards me. All the memories I spent so hard trying to forget comes rushing back to me in the speed of light.

I forgot to mention one thing. Well, more like I didn't want to mention. It's also been 2 years since I last saw him; my boyfriend. No. My ex-boyfriend.

---

(5 years ago)

I reluctantly walked towards the front door of the orphanage. I took one last look behind me, at the various faces I have grown accustomed to and nervously bit my lip. With the encouraging smile of the lady at the front desk, I take a deep breath before exiting. I am greeted by the overabundant sunlight that makes me squint my eyes. Today is the day. I take a daring step into the outside world. People walk by me, carrying on with their daily activities, and here I was, just standing still as I carefully examine the new world in front of me. 

I've always been the shy and quiet type. Growing up being home schooled, I never really went out. Never really had any friends. Never got to experience the world, the way other kids did. I spent most of my time at home. That was where I felt comfortable, where I felt safe. It was what I had gotten used to. The outside world was too big, too strange for my liking. You could say I was afraid. 

At the age of 13, I lost both of my parents to a car crash. A car crash that I survived, but didn't want to. I wanted to go with them so bad. I was left alone in this unfamiliar world with no one to guide me. No one to give me a leading hand. I was clueless. I was alone. More so than ever. I wanted to blame them for leaving me here by myself. But I couldn't. That wouldn't be right. And ever since then, I have been spending my life at the orphanage. 

My mind is confused. I take another daring step into the outside world; alone. From now on, I am an independent lady.

---

(3 years ago)

After venturing out into the real world, I soon found a job at a karaoke bar downtown with the help of my best friend from orphanage. Not long after, I was promoted and moved to a wealthier neighborhood uptown, where I am now working together with her. She was the one who helped me when I was lost. She taught me how to be confident in myself and how to make a living for myself. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for her. She's the only person I can rely on and trust.

I look down at my phone to be alerted by another text message that read "why aren't you answering me??". This was already the tenth one tonight. I sigh as I shut my phone off and hand it over to the girl sitting at the front desk.

"Again?" EunBi asks. I look at her and shrug whatever. "This is why you shouldn't bother leading them on, it's troublesome," she adds. 

It is troublesome. This thing that I do. Leading guys on with absolutely no thoughts of reciprocating those feelings. I know i'm breaking hearts in the process, but what else can I do? I need the money and this is the fast way to get it. But honestly, who in their right minds would like such a job? I'm basically selling myself in a way, though I wouldn't dare go that far. But it's all for the money. I want to earn enough to go study abroad. That is what i've declared as my lifetime goal, my dream. To become successful in this lonely and empty world. To create a name for myself; a name I could live by. That's what I wish for. I just have to endure this for a while longer.

I am about to respond to her when my manager shows up. "Hey, you got another request down the hall," my manager cheekily grins and gives me a thumbs up. "He's pretty loaded." I laugh at his silliness and proceed to the last door on the left. He knows me way too well. 

I knock on the door twice before entering the dimly lit room. "So I heard you're quite popular around here," a clear voice welcomes me. 

I fake the best smile I could, "so you've heard." I make my way over to him and start my routine by pouring him a glass of beer. I sit down next to him and offer it to him.

He makes eye contact with me as he accepts the drink. "You're quite pretty."

I've been told that i'm pretty. Even too pretty to be in this type of business. Such complimenting words are all too familiar.

"Really?" I feigned ignorance, "you are being too sweet."

He chuckles at my reply and starts gulping down the glass of beer. I sit there waiting for him to finish. My eyes unknowingly drift to his neck in the process, where his veins seem to protrude slightly more when he's drinking. I am interrupted by the clink of the glass being set back down on the table. 

I pour him another full glass and hand it to him. "Are you trying to get me drunk?" he asks in a joking manner, but goes ahead and drinks it anyways, "could you open the karaoke for me?" 

I carefully got up to turn on the machine and almost immediately the song "What is Love" starts playing. I hand him the remote control and microphone before taking my seat next to him again. To my surprise, he doesn't choose another song and instead starts singing. I stare at him in amazement as he confidently sings his lungs out. Once again, I notice the veins on his neck protrude visibly. There's just something about them that picks at me in a weird way.

Before I knew it, the song was over. "That was really good!" I clapped with satisfaction. His voice was definitely something to acknowledge. It was powerful and strong, yet somehow, soft and soothing at the same time. I catch a glimpse of his smile before he reverts back to a straight face. He lets the next song go as he continues to sip his beer. Usually at this point, my costumers drape their arm around my shoulder signaling me to start flirting with them. But something seemed different. He continues to stare at the television, while I patiently wait for a signal. 

More than an hour passed without him uttering a word to me and I am getting worried. All he did was sit there and drink. Nothing like this ever happened before. Maybe he's waiting for me to do something? I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try. I decide to initiate the first move myself. "So..would you like to sing another song?"

He abruptly stops drinking and turns his head to face me. I fear I might have disturbed his thoughts. Without showing any emotions, he blatantly states, "let's date."

--------------------

"to hear the voice of the silence is to understand that from within comes the only true guidance" --Mabel Collins

--------------------

First chapter is up! I hope you guys like it! & don't forget to leave a comment telling me what you think! :)

Quick age table of Rise for those of you who are confused ^^

23 - (present) return from study abroad

13 - lost both parents, enter orphanage

18 - (5 years ago) left orphanage, found job

*20 - (3 years ago) current time in story

21 - last saw her boyfriend

-Ming Ming, 7/23/2013