Not Enough

♥ The Little Tales ♥

My name is _____. I am Chen’s bestfriend. We were bestfriends since young. Even way before my father cheated on my mother and left this household. Way before my mother started selling her body to different men and splurged that dirty money on alchohol. I used to come from a rich family but now our status, reputation and money went tumbling down, my life almost dry. But then he stood by me. Helping me move on with life. He was the reason why I could continue on with life. But now it just got harder for me. He is now attached with someone. And I had fallen for him. At the exact same day he confessed to me he likes Sumi. The timing is just…perfect.

 

My name is Chen. I am ______’s bestfriend. We were bestfriends since young. We were playmates when we were toddlers. When she was still rich and all. When her family was a perfect Kodak picture. But then her life disappointed her and her father went to cheat in many different ways. He stole and cheated the money from his customers but he was caught. He went to harass and cheat other girls for money. Then his wife found out and she lost her sanity. He left her with her daughter just like that and disappeared. The society, relatives and friends shunned them and left them in the cold. Now I try my best to help her. Treat the bruises made from child abuse and nurse her crushed heart. Until something happened.

 

^^^

 

Chen’s POV

 

“Yah! Give me back my bracelet!” Her scream ricocheting off the walls. I rushed to the place and saw her trying to reach for bracelet. Which was in the hand of the jock, Kai. She jumped and managed to get hold of the jewellery and tried to pry his hands off it. And Kai, being a smartass jerk he was, began pulling it.

And it broke, sending beads flying everywhere. ____ became silent and clenched her fist and bit it. Kai smirked and swaggered off, leaving _____ in a pitiful state. She just stared at the broken bracelet and slowly kneeled down an picked what remained of her bracelet. She brought it close to her heart, and started sobbing.

She always try not to cry. She never cry when she injured her body, nor when  her mother whipped her, creating new scars and opening up the old ones. The bracelet, I finally realized, was my gift for her birthday. The first birthday that was not celebrated with her ‘family’.

“Yah… There’s no need to cry over a bracelet…” I tried to comfort her and brought her to my chest, combing her tangled, messy hair.

 

______’s POV

 

“Yah…There’s no need to cry over a bracelet…”

With that, I cried harder. This bracelet I am holding. It has so much memories attached to it. And now its broken and torn apart. And it has him in it. It’s something from my crush.

“Come… Let’s skip school together…”

 

^^^

 

My head rested on his shoulder as he placed a protective arm around me. His warmth sets my heart at ease as I pondered about life. My life. Suddenly his hand slid down my arm, and I groaned as he hits my new bruise. “You got hit by her again?” I bit my lip. He wasn’t supposed to know. Sighing, he pulled himself away, cold air rushing to take his warmth. He opened the medicinal cupboard and took out the first aid. He went back to my side and started nursing my bruise. “Is there any more?” I tried hard not to tell him, but I blurted out, “My back. She whipped my back.” Chen widened his eyes. “This is too much ____. Too much of her.” His eyes started tearing up. “Yah. I was the one who got hurt but you’re the one crying? I’m strong enough to withstand her abuse,” I said as I turned around to expose my back to the cold air.

 

Chen’s POV

 

I stared at the wound in front of me. Slowly, I placed the cotton on her back and I could see her flinch. Should I ask or force her to just live with my family and me? “Done.” I threw away the used cotton and lied on the bed with her. Just as I want to ask her to stay with me, I turned to see her dozing away.

 

______’s POV

 

My eyes fluttered open. My body was for once not aching from sleeping on the bare floor. I turned to see Chen sleeping. His long lashes… I gripped a handful of cloth in my fist before getting up. Checking the clock, I shrieked. I was late for work!!! Grabbing my work bag from my school bag, I try to quietly rush out of Chen’s house.

 

^^^

 

“Who the hell do you think you are? You think you can just waltz in here when you know you’re late!? Quick, before I reduce your pay!” My boss barked, his spit landing all over my face. I quickly went to the washroom to wash my face before I start serving the customers.

I went towards a table where a loving couple, who was smiling at each other and chatting sat in the corner of the café. With a smile, I approached them. “Excuse me, can I take your –” I trailed off as the man turned his head to look at me. Time slowed down, allowing me to sink it all in. The man. He looked like… He looked like my father. “Father.” I blurted out. Immediately, his smiling lips were set into a thin line. “Who are you?” He asked. “_____, Father. Your… daughter…” His hand that was holding onto the woman’s hand dropped. “__________... You can recognise me…” He mumbled.

Suddenly, the woman slammed the table. “Excuse me young lady. He is not your father. He is my husband!” I snapped my head to look at her and my hand unconsciously flew to her cheek. “WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO SLAP HER!?” My father shouted, causing my boss to run out of his office. “You and your mother are seriously… UGH!” He immediately dashed out of the café with the woman.

As I looked on, the boss pulled my ear into the office. “YOU. ARE. FIRED!” He barked.

 

^^^

 

“HOW DARE YOU! YOU GOT FIRED!?” She shrieked as she continued whipping me. I winced but no tears came out. “I saw daddy…” When I said that, she stopped whipping me, and the whip fell to the floor with a light thud. “What…” She mumbled as she struggled to stand up straight. Her knees gave way and she dropped to the floor. “He was with another woman…” I added, and she burst into tears. I just kneeled there, , open scars covering my body, facing the wall. Suddenly a gunshot was heard behind me and I turned around. There, my mom was lying on her own pool of blood. A gun in her hand. “NOOOOO!!!!”

 

^^^

 

I sat on the railing and typed out the sms. “Meet me at the our bridge…”

 

Chen’s POV

 

The phone buzzed on my chest and I frantically picked it up, causing it to fall on my face. “Oof!” I rubbed my head and checked the message. I sighed and grab my hoodie before getting out into the cold, icy night.

 

^^^

 

I saw her sitting precariously on the ledge. I ran to pull her down when… she looked at me, smiled weakly, and… jumped into the dark, black sea. “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!”

 

_____’s POV

 

I glanced at my watch. He was very very slow. I almost want to just jump down then, when I felt a presence behind me. I was already ready to jump. I managed to give a weak smile to him, before jumping into the water. Water gushed into my ears and I sunk down to the muddy bottom.