Almost Is Never Enough

Bangtan Boys One Shot Series

"Don’t wanna be fool wanna be cool wanna be loved neowaui same love Baby I want it." Yoongi smiled as he listened to Jungkook sing his part of their song. The boys had just gotten home from practice and they were all starving, but no one wanted to leave the dorm when they opened their fridge to find it empty. Finally Yoongi volunteered to go to the store and on the way out he grabbed his camera. Jungkook had also volunteered to tag along because he had nothing to do in their dorm. It was fairly bright outside, and the sun now rising in the horizon painted the sky with many beautiful colors and shades. The boys had been taken turns snapping anything interesting and beautiful that they didn't notice on a regular basis, but now were very prominent. Within a few minutes the boys were in front of the door, and Yoongi stopped to take a deep breath.

'Here goes,' he thought. He was blasted with cool air as Jungkook opened the glass door and walked in, Yoongi not far behind. As soon as he entered his eyes wavered over to the counter, looking for the face he'd seen a million times before. When he didn't see her, he followed Jungkook to the back of the store to get the milk. Yoongi wasn't exactly paying attention to where he was going though. His mind traveled back to when he was younger, they were playmates.

Flashback

"Yoongi-ah, hurry up!" The boy ran as fast as he could, but his short legs couldn't move fast enough. Soon he was out of breath. 

"누나누나 기다려! Wait for me!" She only turned her head to warn him again.

"Hurry the ice-cream truck is going to leave!" She faced forward and took off. Scrunching his face in determination, Yoongi pushed forward, an extra spring in his step. He was flying forwards, the wind whipping his hair back, every step bringing him closer and closer to the large vehicle containing the cold, sweet treats he so loved. The growing smile on his face slowly faded as the toe of his shoe came in contact with a hard object he didn't notice before. The ground seemed to rush up at Yoongi, and he instinctively closed his eyes as he made contact with the rough cemented sidewalk.

"Oomf!" He stayed face-down on the ground, the shock from the fall paralyzing him.

"Yoongi-ah!" He felt a pair of hands carefully pull him into sitting position.

"Yoongi are you okay? Are you hurt?" He looked up and met his noona's worried eyes. Her hands roamed all over his face, arms, legs and the rest of his body in search of any injuries. Yoongi blushed at the contact, but there was something else he worried about.

"I'm fine noona but what about you? You didn't get your ice-cream." He looked behind her and his eyes widened in horror as he watched the truck steadily drive away.

"Noona! The truck! It's leaving!" He yelled frantically. She looked over her shoulder and looked back at him with a small amused chuckle.

"Yoongi it's okay. I can always get ice-cream another time. Right now you're hurt, and I have to take care of what's important to me, hmm? Come on." She stood up and brushed the dust off her pants and then extended a hand to Yoongi, which he gratefully accepted. She slipped her fingers between his and smiled lovingly at him before leading the way home. 

End of Flashback

Yoongi chucked at the memory. It was then that he'd realized how he felt for her, and that he wanted her to be his woman. When he snapped back into reality Jungkook was already heading for the counter to pay for their things. As he passed the many freezer doors, something caught his eye. He froze and took a few steps back and turned to face the fogged door. Slowly sliding open the door, a smile spread across his lips as he reached in and grabbed two ice-cream bars. Yoongi bit his bottom to keep his smile from getting bigger as memories flooded back to him. He'd been away for too long, and now that he was back he would try to create as many memories as he could that he would cherish for as long as he lived. 

"Yoongi hyung!" He looked up and saw Jungkook waving frantically. 

"서둘러!" He hurried to the counter and placed the bars on the counter as someone came out of the back.

"Hello,welcome to---Yoongi? Min Yoongi?" Yoongi turned towards the voice and hefelt his heart leap in his chest.

"Noona?" At that she smiled and rushed towards Yoongi and threw her arms around his neck. He was stunned. He'd been gone for less than a year and within that time she had become a...woman. Well she'd always been a woman but now she had a certain kind of...glow. She pulled back and folded her arms with a playful scowl on her face.

"Yah Min Yoongi, you think once you've become a star you forget about everyone else? You never called or visited. Do you have any idea how much I missed you?" With that she wrapped her arms around Yoongi once more, this time burying her face in his neck. Yoongi put his arms around her waist, smiling a bit to himself.

"미안해 누나. I won't lie and say I tried but I always thought about you. I'm here now though so that makes it all better right." There was no response for a while, but then he heard a snicker, followed by giggles and then she burst out laughing. Her nose still twitched when she laughed, and her cheeks were stained with a rosy pink color. Yoongi felt his own cheeks turn pink as he watched her. She was still so beautiful. She walked behind the counter to help them check out their items. 

"So how have you been Yoongi-ah? We need to catch up." 

"We've been pretty good. It's tough, it's difficult but it's what I want so I will work hard for it."

"That's good Yoongi-ah. I'm proud of you," she said with a smile.

"Yoongi hyung, can I have--ah noona! Annyeonghaseyo!" The younger boy bowed and smiled brightly.

"Noona you remember Jungkook right?"

"Ah Jungkook, the really cute one. Annyeong." 

I thought I was the cute one, Yoongi thought with a slight pout. 

"Your total is ₩9966.84." Yoongi brought out a ₩10,000 won bill and paid for their items.

"Well, see you around noona." They picked up their things and walked towards the door.

"Yoongi." He stopped and turned around. "It was really nice to see you again."

"Likewise noona," he replied with a smile before heading out the door. The happiness he felt was indescribable. The last time he felt like this was the first he had performed on stage with his boys. This feeling might be even better. His head snapped up as a genius idea popped into his mind. He suddenly grabbed Jungkook's arms, startling the younger boys, and placed his bags in Jungkook's hands.

"Jungkook-ah, hyung will be back quickly hm?" With that he turned back entered the store again, leaving Jungkook stunned. 

"Noona!" She looked up, a look of surprise taking over her face when she saw him.

"Yoongi? I thought you'd left. What happened?"

"I needed to ask you something." After wiping his hands repeatedly on his jeans, he softly took her dainty hand in his, causing her eyes to widen some. 

"Yoongi what are--?"

"Noona it's been a long time since we've spent any time together so I wanted to ask, would you like to spend the day together? Tomorrow, at the park?" A soft smile formed on her face and she placed her free hand on top of his. 

"I would love to Yoongi." He couldn't believe his ears. Yoongi stared at her for a while before any words could come out of his throat.

"Re-really? Are you serious? Y-y-you would?" He finally managed to croak. She giggled and nodded.

"Yes I would. I have to work now, and it looks like Jungkook is waiting for you." She nodded towards the door and Yoongi turned to see the young boy distracting himself with a little bird. 

'Oh Jungkook! I forgot.'

"Okay noona, um, I guess I'll see you tomorrow?''

"Okay. Bye Yoongi." With that she turned to help the customer that had been waiting. Yoongi joined Jungkook and they once again headed home. That night, as he lay in bed, Yoongi planned out everything he was going to do the next day, slowly drifting off to sleep even full of excitement. When he woke up the next morning, Yoongi took his sweet time stretching and getting ready. He didn't want to rush anything; he wanted everything to be perfect for today. His phoned dinged and he picked it up to look at the text message. Yoongi scrunched his eyebrows together and bit his lip in curiosity. He then smiled and left the room. It was going to be a great day. He followed the scent of fried eggs and toast to the dining room where Jin and Hoseok were laying out plates and cups for breakfast. Jin looked up at smiled at Yoongi.

"Good morning. How did you sleep?" Yoongi gave him a bright smile that matched his mood.

"I slept beautifully thank you. How did you sleep Jin hyung?"

"I slept well thank you." 

"Okay okay we all slept well let's eat now!"  Namjoon called as he entered the room and headed for the dining table. They all sat down to eat, but Yoongi didn't eat much. He didn't want to feel heavy right before his special get-together. Jin looked worriedly at Yoongi, but shrugged and continued eating. If he didn't want to eat much there must be an important reason. Yoongi was a very reasonable person. 

"I'm all done. Thank you for the food Jin hyung. Please excuse me." With that Yoongi left the breakfast table and headed towards the door. He stopped in front of the mirror that was placed by the door. He patted his cheeks, swept his hair neatly to the side, and straightened out his clothes.

"Now I'm ready." He walked out the door and casually strolled towards the park. How he could stay so calm was beyond him. He was going to spend the day with his favorite, most beautiful noona. As he got closer to the park entrance, Yoongi's stomach filled more and more with butterflies. 

"Breathe Yoongi, breathe. You'll be fine. You're only hanging out. It's not like it's a date...right? Aish, no! Don't think like that. You're only hanging out." He nodded and put on a bright smile before entering the park to find his noona. He looked around, looked left and right, looked in all her favorite places, but she wasn't there.

'Had she forgotten? No, no she couldn't have. She doesn't forget things that easily.' 

"Waa!" Yoongi jumped a couple of feet and clutched his chest in an attempt to calm his speeding heart. He turned around to see his noona giggling.

"Yoongi-ah, did I scare you?" Yoongi took a deep breath and smiled at his noona.

"Aniyo, I don't get scared easily."  She snickered at him.

"Oh sure you don't."

"I really don't!" He almost yelled. He had to prove his manliness. 

"It's okay. So, what are we doing today?" They ended up walking around the park, taking pictures every few minutes if something was interesting or funny, and they stopped once at a pretzel cart. Finally they settled on a bench where they fed the birds that crowded at their feet. They sat in silence for some time before she let out a heavy sigh and looked at Yoongi.

"Yoongi-ah I need to tell you something." His breath caught in his throat. She was going to tell him now? He swallowed heavily but remained silent. She took it as a sign to go on. 

"Yoongi-ah, I'm engaged." He froze. Were his ears playing tricks on him? Is this was she meant when she texted him that morning.

Flashback

His phone dinged and he picked it up and looked at the screen. He smiled when his saw his noona's name and opened the text message.

From: My Favorite Noona

To: Suga Yoongi

Yoongi-ah! Noona has something very important to show. Hurry and come okay?

End Flashback

This is what she meant?

"He's coming, and I want you to meet him." Now he knew he wasn't hearing things. Some guy took his noona away and she wants him to meet the bastard?! This was unbelievable. He turned to her.

"Are you joking noona? Are you serious or are you just messing with me? Please stop because this isn't funny." She scrunched her eyebrows and widened her eyes a little.

"I'm not joking Yoongi. Why would I joke about this kind of thing? Yoongi-ah, is something wrong? Why are you acting this way?" Yoongi didn't answer for some times. He took several deep breaths, trying to recover and nurse his heart back together as much as he could in the short amount of time. He stretched his mouth in a forced smile.

"I'm--I'm okay noona. I just wasn--"

"Mirae-ah!" They both turned in the direction of the voice and say an average-height, fairly well-built guy running towards them. Yoongi observed the guy as he stood in front of them. His shoulder-length wavy hair was in a ponytail and he had a scruffy beard.

"Jungkwon-ah." Yoongi turned to see his noona brightly smiling and she stood up to go meet the guy. They shared a small quick kiss that shattered Yoongi's already hurt heart before wrapping their arms around each other in a tight embrace. They seemed to forget he was there; it was almost like they were in their own world. Yoongi cleared his throat and his noona turned to look at him with a slight blush on her cheeks. The cheeks he'd daydreamed about kissing when they hugged. 

"Ah, Jungkwon, this is Min Yoongi. He's my best friend, well actually he's like a little brother that I love and cherish with my whole heart. Yoongi-ah, this is the love of my life Seo Jungkwon." 

"Nice to finally meet you Yoongi. Mirae never stops talking about you. You are every bit as cute as she said." 

"Jagi don't say that." Yoongi only nodded in response. His spirit broke more with every second that passed. A little brother? That's all she thought of him? He thought she'd felt the same way. He thought...he thought she loved him the way he loved her. 

"Ah, jagi we have to go. Our appointment is in 20 minutes."

"Ah that's right. Yoongi I'll see you around okay? We have to go to the hospital?"

"Why? Who's sick? Is it noona? Noona are you okay? Does anything hurt?" She giggled and put a hand on his shoulder. 

"It's okay Yoongi, I'm not hurt. We're going to the hospital to check on the baby." Baby?

"Baby? Which baby?" Yoongi's eyes tripled in size as realization hit him.

"Noona, are you---are you--"

"Yes, Yoongi I"m pregnant. We want to go check how well the baby has developed so I'll see you later okay. Take care superstar." She hugged him and gave him a kiss on his cheek before walking away, hand-in-hand, with Jungkwon. Yoongi was a mess. His heart was hurting and his head was throbbing. There was too much to process. Mirae noona was engaged and...pregnant. He sank down onto the bench as his legs we weakening. Without thinking, his hand reached into his pocket and brought out a diamond-encrusted silver necklace that said 'I Love You XOXO'. He was so close, almost there, but apparently...almost wasn't enough. Almost was never enough.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FINALLY DONE!!!! So how was it? Yeah I didn't want to make them all sappy happy stuff so yeah. Also I really wanted to use Yoon MiRae because...the lady is beautiful and she's a rapper. Thanks for reading :D Please don't forget to

Subscribe*Comment*Upvote

Min Yoongi

Yoon Mirae

Seo Jungkwon