The Weirdest Thing

Prom?

an; sobs this is not , if you happen to see an m there ;;


 

 

 

"Hey guys!" Sulli popped up at Chanyeol's locker like every morning before third period, where he and Jongin shared jokes and awkwardly made plans before separating for a whole hour (since the two shared the locker and practically shared a hip after all). Today, Sulli sensed the two had been discussing something she intruded on because when she approached Jongin eyed her amusedly, keeping silent, while Chanyeol plastered on an uncomfortable looking smile. "Hey Ssul!"

 

"Good morning, Sulli," Jongin drawled. Sulli didn't miss the kick Chanyeol aimed at Jongin, who merely leant away from the taller's gangly limbs.

 

"Good morning to you too, Jongin," she blinked back in confusion as Jongin settled into a lazy grin, leaning against the lockers.

 

Jongin's eyes glinted mischievously. "Seems like a good day for love, wouldn't you agree?"

 

Chanyeol's face erupted in a blush before he turned his sharp eyes onto a laughing Jongin. "Jongin, go." 

 

Jongin grunted in protest, following Chanyeol's outstretched finger in the opposite direction. Sulli giggled at the stern scene between the two because by lunchtime she knew the two would be inseparable again, as usual. Thats how it was with Chanyeol, he was a friend with a gravitation that you just couldn't be without.

 

"Jongin is so weird," Sulli mused as Chanyeol turned back to face her once the distraction was gone.

 

"Right," Chanyeol smiled tightly, adding his own explicative adjectives under his breath.

 

Sulli eyed him curiously until Chanyeol looked up and retracted slightly in shock. He shook his head at himself, clearing his throat before getting to what he'd prepared for all weekend and this morning.

 

"But anyway, Ssul. Are you busy after school?" Chanyeol's eyes returned to their bright, expectant state. 

 

Sulli thought about it. "Um, no I don't—"

 

"Great!" He exclaimed, his large teeth exposed with a delighted grin. "I've got something to show you."

 

"Really?" Sulli's ears perked up at this. He was normally busy after school, with basketball practice, his friends Kris and Jongin dragging him here and there, piles of homework and studying he could be doing otherwise.

 

"Yep, and it’s just for you," Chanyeol replied, his heart thrumming loudly in his ears.

 

"Okay, great! I can’t wait," she grinned, throwing her arms around him suddenly in a hug, taking Chanyeol by surprise. "We should get to class now," she pulled back with a smile, Chanyeol still in a daze. She rolled her eyes playfully and pulled him along. "You're weird, too."

 

~ ❤ ~

 

"I'm so glad I don't have class with you two, watching you is so hopeless," Jongin said over his shoulder as he piled his books in their locker.

 

Chanyeol scoffed. "Like you could do much better."

 

"Actually, I can," Jongin offered, taking Chanyeol's books out of his motionless hands to place them beside his own, looking smug as ever. "I'm going with Krystal. Asked her right before lunch."

 

Chanyeol stared in disbelief. "I thought she hated you."

 

"I thought so too, but it turns out thats just her face. Shes actually pretty decent, she even blushes," Jongin mused in amazement.

 

"Well, just don't do something to make her actually hate you. You know she would totally ruin you in a fight," Chanyeol looked at him pointedly, Jongin shrugging in agreement.

 

"Anyway, did you set everything up during lunch?"

 

"Yep, Kris invited himself to help because he thinks I'm coordination-ally challenged," Chanyeol frowned.

 

Jongin patted him on the back. "Just try to be less coordination-ally challenged for the rest of the day and things should go great."

 

"Right," Chanyeol sighed, his stomach already twisting up in knots.

 

Jongin squeezed his shoulder comfortingly. "And don't be weird," he added.

 

~❤~

 

After Chanyeol had sufficiently almost run into Sulli in his haste to locate her and froze up about a dozen times at the sight of her smile, he inconspicuously led her to the basketball courts.

 

"So, what are we doing here?" Sulli eyed Chanyeol speculatively as he faced her and slowed to a halt.

 

"I have something to show you," he replied, scuffing his shoe on an interesting patch of the blacktop ground. "Or, ask you, actually."

 

Sulli blinked. "And.."

 

"And.." he repeated with a sigh, "It’s kind of pathetic but I dreamed about asking you this all year, and who knows how long I've waited for a girl like you. All I know is there’s no one like you, Ssul," he gulped in a giant breath and took her stiff hands, shifting their positions so that Sulli was looking at the expanse of the court, now gasping in surprise with Chanyeol awkwardly hovering behind her trying to telepathically gauge her reaction. "Would you do me the honor?"

 

Sulli took a deep breath and whipped around, looking up to meet Chanyeol's hopeful expression. "You want me to go to pron with you?" She blinked, a teasing smile appearing on her face. There on the blacktop was a giant letter to Sulli, spelling out in chalk, "Sulli, will you go to prom with me?" or what it should have been, had he properly checked for errors (perhaps his eye was distracted by Kris' horrendous doodles here and there). 

 

"P-pron?" Chanyeol's eyes practically bugged out as he took a scan over the giant letters. "I'm such an idiot." He mentally cursed at Kris for being the world's worst proofreader.

 

He forwent his inner plans to torture Kris in the most painful of ways however, when he felt the warmth of Sulli's hand gripping his arm. "Did you really do all this for me?"

 

"I had help," Chanyeol admitted with a helpless grin. "It was all my idea, though. Minus the dumb typo, I can fix it though, I just have to get the chalk from my lo—" he stopped his ramblings as Sulli began to laugh.

 

And she really keeled over and laughed, to the point where Chanyeol resigned to shifting awkwardly and waiting for her chuckles to die down. "I'm sorry," she exhaled with a grin. "This is just the most unique thing anyone’s ever done for me."

 

He nodded resignedly, almost ready to hide his face in shame until she spoke again. "And the sweetest," she added. "Of course I'll go with you, Chanyeol."

 

~❤~

 

"So who asked you to pron, Ssul?" Krystal teased. It’s not like she'd be the first. You'd have to be blind to miss the giant declaration, though the sender himself was shrouded in mystery, which Sulli slightly envied for she was getting way too much attention over this.

 

Everyone in school it seemed had matched her name to her face pretty quickly, for her not being the most popular girl after all, as she’d received nothing but once-over's in the hallways for days.  She silently hoped that it would rain soon, so the evidence and her existence would be wiped away as if it'd never happened, but she'd had no such luck so far.

 

"I'd tell you, but you'd probably spread it," Sulli mused.

 

Krystal scoffed. "Well then maybe everyone would get off your back, you know, give the people what they want."

 

Sulli shrugged indifferently and said nothing more, content to doodle in her notebook and twirl her hair to help pass the time as she waited impatiently for second period's end. "Whoever he is, he must be the ditsy type, like who even misspells prom?" Sulli smiled secretively while Krystal rambled on.

 

"You know there’s a rumor that it’s your older brother Heechul, or to quote the people, 'that cute, older guy that picks her up after school.'" Krystal huffed when she got no reaction. "Fine, I won’t tell you who my date is, either."

 

~❤~

 

"You two look so grown up!" Sulli's mother had squealed delightedly as they stood together awkwardly in Sulli's parents living room.

 

"But you're not, so don't go getting any ideas," Heechul added lowly, crossing his arms as their mother arranged the couple. Sulli promptly ignored him, but Chanyeol didn't get the memo, grinning tightly mostly in fear.

 

"Oh, you have to let me take a few photos!"

 

"No , I mean it." Click! Went the shutter, behind which was captured Chanyeol's most terrified look to date, even more than the time Jongin forced him to ditch class with him and run for their lives from security when they got caught.

 

Chanyeol blinked back to the present to wave politely as Sulli began pushing him towards the door, claiming that they'd better get going. "Have her home safely!"

 

"I will!" Chanyeol agreed and bowed to Sulli's parents profusely, dangerously close if not breaking into a sweat from the over-stimulation of his nerves combined with the physical activity.

 

"That means don't try anything funny with my sis, got it?" Heechul muttered and stared the younger down, while he gaped like a fish until Sulli pulled him away by his hand. "He's got it Heechul, don't scare my date off before we've even gone out," Sulli blabbed while dragging him out the door.

 

"Be safe you two!" Sulli's parents added, and if his face wasn't already heated from Sulli holding his hand, defending him and referring to him as her date, then he must have been a sickening scarlet at her parents' unintentional innuendo (at least he thought it was accidental).

 

Sulli suddenly stopped in her tracks and turned to Chanyeol with a smile. "A limo?"

 

"Yep," Chanyeol smiled back, stepping forward and holding the door open so she could slide in.

 

"You really know how to spoil a girl," she commented appreciatively, climbing in with a wink.

 

He ducked his head and held onto the door for fear that he would fall to the ground on his untrustworthy, shaky limbs. After a moment or two of composure, he followed in after her.

 

"We've gotta pick up Jongin's date on the way, hope you don't mind," Chanyeol explained as he shut the door behind himself.

 

"Of course not, thats totally fine," Sulli replied casually, making herself at home in the roomy cab space. However, she hadn't expected Krystal to be the one climbing over her to seat herself across from Jongin, offering him a small smirk before turning her gaze onto the former. "It’s Chanyeol, are you serious? No wonder you didn't want to tell anyone," She and Jongin laughed at that and Sulli patted Chanyeol's arm and spat back that they were perfect for each other, which clammed them up real quick.

 

~❤~

 

"Do you want to dance?"

 

Chanyeol's eyebrows shot up as he studied Sulli's face, looking for any trace of amusement, for she had to be joking. Chanyeol had not an ounce of coordination or rhythm. But she just stared back at him, vulnerably hopeful if anything.

 

Which is what guilted him into mumbling a "yes," pulling out her chair and leading her to the dance floor. That, and his worst nightmare would be to be seen as a y date. For if this night went all wrong, he'd probably ruin his chances with the girl of his dreams and never forgive himself for it. The universe seemed to be in his favor though, this night of all nights, and he silently hoped he didn't have his approach all wrong when he pulled her into a dancing position, his hands at her waist and hers at his shoulders. She looked surprisingly happy and things were perfect, and maybe even he couldn't ruin this moment as Chanyeol recognized the song that was playing: it was her favorite.

 

"You know, you look really nice," Sulli commented appreciatively. "You do normally, too, but you know.."

 

Chanyeol grinned. "You too."

 

She smiled, seeming to think for a bit before leaning forward to place her head in the crook of his neck. Slowly, Chanyeol realized that this meant their bodies just got closer and wow, is it hot in here? They swayed slowly and the restricted movement didn't bother Chanyeol in the slightest, one because he lacked the skill to do much of anything else and two because Sulli's weight on his body made the room spin but he didn't dare wish for it to stop any time soon.

 

Somehow a few minutes passed where Chanyeol was distracted (possibly focused more on willing his not to grow and freaking out his date) and an annoying pop song had begun to play, much unfitting to the mood the two had set. Luckily, Sulli was paying attention. "Do you wanna get some air?" Sulli murmured at his earlobe.

 

Really Chanyeol was dying for some, and had started to grow the suspicion that he was sweating through his suit, so he nodded enthusiastically and allowed her to drag him to the exit.

 

Right outside, none other than Jongin and Krystal were making out on the steps and the new pair groaned at them about needing deep eye-cleansing after that display.

 

The two separated and Jongin huffed as Krystal straightened out her appearance. "Are you guys ready to leave?"

 

Sulli and Chanyeol looked at each other, the latter shrugging while Sulli replied, "Yeah, I guess so."

 

The four of them walked together through the parking lot before realization dawned on Sulli. "Where are we going now?"

 

Chanyeol frowned. "Somewhere to eat, I guess?"

 

Sulli seemed pleased with that answer. "Ah, did you book a hotel?"

 

Chanyeol nearly tripped. "H-hotel? W-was I supposed to..?"

 

Sulli smiled teasingly. "Silly, of course not. I was just testing you."

 

On the walk back to the limo parked down the next block, Sulli and Chanyeol kept a leisurely pace behind, Chanyeol forcing a lump down his throat and taking a hold of Sulli's delicate hand, who merely tightened hers in his, swinging them gently between them.

 

When they began to pass by stores and restaurants, their attention began to turn to relieving their boredom and hunger. When the two looked to the other couple, Krystal had slipped inside one of the stores.

 

Jongin slowed considerably and turned to them, a bit eager and out of place in comparison to their contented silence. "Krystal has a fake Id, we're gonna get some alcohol, what do you guys want?"

 

"I don't drink," Sulli and Chanyeol muttered at the same time, sharing a meek glance at the other.

 

Jongin rolled his eyes, "Suit yourself. We'll be back, then," He replied, disappearing into the liquor store.

 

The two stopped to wait, absently leaning against the wall of the establishment. "So.."

 

Sulli turned to him, anxiously flattening her dress then tangling her hands together. "I've got something to tell you, Chanyeol. If you don't mind."

 

"Of course I wouldn't," Chanyeol blinked.

 

She smiled gratefully. "I really like you. I mean I haven't stopped thinking about you since you asked me to prom, and since the nights almost over I just wanted to say that I don't just want you to be a prom date to me. In case that was all this was. In that case, I'd be really embarrassed right now." She stopped with a blush.

 

Chanyeol promptly shook his head. "I don't want things to end tonight, either. I want to be your date to everything, if that makes any sense," Chanyeol paused thoughtfully. "What I'm trying to say is, what I really wanted to ask you all this time is, will you be my girlfriend?"

 

Sulli's head snapped up from where it was leaning against the wall then, but in the process ended up banging it something horrible, so she wailed in pain on instinct, and Chanyeol's initial thoughts were that was probably the weirdest answer any guy had ever gotten for asking a girl out. Then he realized she was rubbing her head in pain and oh, god, did she catch his clumsiness? He kind of hesitated there for a moment, recollecting himself to stutter an "I'll be right back," and dashing into the liquor store and grabbing the first frozen thing he saw, slapping a five dollar bill onto the counter on the way out with a nod at the cashier because whatever it was that should cover it.

 

"Are you okay?" Chanyeol winced, taking her hand away from the spot gently, and replacing it with what he now noticed was a container of low-fat sorbet. "Hopefully you like lemon?"

 

Sulli giggled. "Lemon's nice," She sighed. "Not as nice as you, though," she added.

 

He stared down at her delicate features, barely recognizing that he was leaning towards her, obviously out of his right mind because this was a pretty ballsy move for Chanyeol. That realization didn't stop him though, and his hand loosened from the container and let it slip from his fingers to roll to who knows where as he lost himself to Sulli's lips.

 

She didn't seem to mind, as her hands pulled his rented tux closer to herself, dipping her head back happily as Chanyeol's mouth slid against hers in ways she hadn't even daydreamed about. One of his hands brushed over her hair, the other moving to cup her cheek, that very one being the one that once held the sorbet and Sulli flinched at the sudden jolt of cold. It shocked Chanyeol enough for him to pull back and look into her eyes, frightened that he did something wrong. 

 

Sulli shook her head, "Your hand, it’s cold."

 

He exhaled and curled it into a fist, cursing at it silently. She smiled shyly and he wanted to pull her back into his arms but Krystal and Jongin came trampling out the entrance suddenly, which prompted the two to self-consciously create more distance between them.

 

"What happened to the alcohol?" Sulli eyed their empty hands.

 

Krystal rolled her eyes, sighing loudly. "I had him right where I wanted him, and then this loser came in and started acting all possessive—"

 

"Well you should have seen the way he was looking at you!" Jongin retorted. "Disgusting."

 

Krystal scoffed and started walking in the direction of their limo, an equally annoyed Jongin in tow. "What? You expect me to be okay with erts looking at you?" He called after her. Chanyeol and Sulli followed reluctantly.

 

"Hey," Sulli nudged Chanyeol, who smiled despite himself, wrapping an arm around her (he blamed it on the cold of the night).

 

"What?" He replied in the same cutesy tone.

 

"Yes. I'd love to be your girlfriend," She smiled. "And I'm not just saying that because I bumped my head."

 

 


an; gah babiessss, what am i doing to myself ;;