Memories of You

Prom?

What are you doing right now?

 

I looked to the screen of my phone to see that Minho had texted me. To say I was surprised would be quite appropriate, for when I glanced at the time it was one in the morning.

 

He was my neighbor, my friend, the goofy kid in elementary school whose eyes were too big for his face. I'd laughed along while everyone called him a frog.

 

Now there was nothing amusing about his appearance.

 

The sculpture-like body he now possessed, the way sweat would trickle down his neck as I wondered if he had ever heard of a shirt, the new way he walked as if he was a god and he knew it.

 

I wasn't too aware of the way my eyes lingered a little too long as I studied him. But he was. All too much so.

 

Nothing.

 

I sure wasn't telling him that I was imagining him shirtless, that’s for sure. 

 

Come over.

 

Two words. I never thought they could be so effective. But there I was, gulping in a nervous breath as I hopped the fence and walked up to his window, tapping on it and looking in questioningly. "What is this about?" I waved my phone in my hand as evidence.

 

He looked up and set his deep eyes onto me, and my curiosity faded into an unsure expression, suddenly feeling self-conscious, looking around, behind him, the floor, anywhere but at his eyes.

 

How could they be the same ones that leaked tears in kindergarden when we weren't put in the same class? He had yelled and run around campus looking for me and when he found me he collapsed into my arms and said he wouldn't go to school if he couldn't be with me.

 

The teachers were forced to move him, since he was always so stubborn, but that must have been one of the most grateful times of my life with Minho; I hadn't wanted to be away from him either.

 

"I wanted to ask you something," He explained before I could even question him. I looked at him as if to say 'Then ask.' He dropped his head and chuckled shyly. "This is so embarrassing.. I hope Hyunwoo hasn't beaten me to it.." He murmured.

 

"Minho.. what are you saying?" I blinked, confused.

 

He seemed to have gathered his senses then, for he shook his head and smiled at me.

 

"Sorry, I'm making this so awkward.." He walked up to me. Closely, really close now.

 

He placed his fingers in my hair and the short strands comfortingly. The same hair that I had to cut off when those nasty girls from freshman year that put gum in my hair while we were in gym class. I cried and told the teacher, but she just told me that nothing could be done. I had to cut it. I ran to Minho still clinging onto my soiled hair.

 

I stared tearfully at him, hoping that he could fix it. And he did. He took me home and brought out the scissors and held my face, telling me not to cry. I didn't really care about the hair, I just didn’t want to look ugly. I didn't say that to him, but all on his own he told me that I was beautiful, with or without it. So I let him cut it. I watched his concentrated face through the strands, and when he was done he smiled, proud of his work. I asked him if he liked it and he said I had never looked prettier. I’ve kept it short ever since that day.

 

"Do you.. want to go to prom with me?" He smiled that goofy smile that I had always loved.

 

It hit me like a ton of bricks. Just then, I knew in my heart that I loved him. I always have. 

 

"Yes." I looked up into his eyes. "Of course I want to go with you."

 

He grinned. "Great. Just one thing," he warned while I stared at him curiously. "You have to wear a dress." He laughed as my mouth fell open.

 

I picked up the nearest object and threw it at him, that being a football that he caught with ease. "I’ve worn a dress before, jerk." I stared at him seriously, only earning more chuckles. "I don't even know why I'm friends with you." I grumbled around a blush, finally joining him in his laughter.

 

I'd tell him how I truly felt some other time. For now, we were best friends, and the unknown world of being more than that still lied ahead of us.

 

But it would happen. I'd confess to him, and no matter what the outcome was, we would get through it together. Like we always have.

 


an; (yes its short orz) to be continued