3/5

Sandglass

A week passed before Chanyeol was allowed to see Baekhyun again. Visitors weren't allowed in his room since he really needed to rest. Any kind of agitation wasn't allowed, and Chanyeol respected that, but that doesn't mean that he didn't miss the older blond. In the week that he didn't see Baekhyun, he was absolutely restless. He kept on wandering aimlessly around the hospital, always ending up in the hospital wing where Baekhyun's room was in. There were times that he'd just sit outside the room until a staff found him, telling him loitering in the hallway wasn't allowed.

One morning, Hyeonjong finally called him on his phone to say that he could see the boy again. He was absolutely thrilled that he didn't even bother explaining to his friends why he had to leave early (he was hanging out with them). As soon as he arrived at the hospital, he literally ran up the stairs two steps at a time, running in the corridor on light and quick steps. When he saw the door to room 506, he grinned. He had decided days ago that he wasn't going to be a sad little and be depressed around the sick boy. He was going to be his usual twitchy self, the one that Baekhyun liked.

He knocked softly on the door, and when no answer came, he frowned. He opened the door gently, and he was reminded of the first day he entered that door. Just like that time, Baekhyun was under the covers, mop of blond hair peeking out and his small body creating a little lump on the bed. He was facing the door this time, though, and a pair of bright-looking eyes were watching Chanyeol as he came in.

"Hey, Baekhyun. How are you?" Chanyeol waved at Baekhyun, smiling.

"Hey there, Yeol. I missed you." Baekhyun's voice came out as a soft whisper, his slim fingers slowly clutching at the ends of his blanket as he pulled it up to his nose.

"I missed you too, Baek...are you okay now?" Chanyeol found his seat beside the bed and he quickly occupied it, never taking his eyes off Baekhyun.

"I guess so, yeah. The doctor said that I shouldn't tire myself too much, though, so I guess we can't take anymore walks." Chanyeol had to listen carefully to catch his whispered and muffled words.

"That's no fun. Maybe you can use a wheelchair? I'll push it around." Chanyeol grinned, and he noticed Baekhyun's eyes squint a little from a smile.

"Maybe. What's that you're holding?"

"Oh, I was out with my friends earlier, and they wanted me to play the guitar for them." He propped the guitar against Baekhyun's bed, and watched as the boy sat up.

Chanyeol noticed that Baekhyun had gotten a little thinner. It wasn't that noticeable, but Chanyeol had sharp eyes and he was extra alert around the other boy. He seemed a little paler, too. Baekhyun sat up on the bed, stretching his arms and being very careful as he moved closer to Chanyeol. He looked at the guitar curiously, and back at Chanyeol.

"Why'd you bring it with you?" Baekhyun was smiling a little, and Chanyeol smiled back.

"Ah, well, I kind of rushed here when my mom said that I could see you again." Chanyeol removed some imaginary lint on his jeans, aware of how embarrassing his words were.

"You didn't have to hurry. I'm not going anywhere, Yeol." Baekhyun giggled, covering his mouth with his fingers as he did so.

"But I missed you, Baeeeek." Chanyeol pouted, feeling the blush creeping onto his cheeks.

"Aww, how sweet. I missed you, too, okay?" Baekhyun patted Chanyeol's head like a little kid, and Chanyeol sighed in exasperation.

"Stop making fun of me, shorty." He muttered, and the blond boy only laughed.

Baekhyun suddenly reached forward, taking one of Chanyeol's hand into his own and holding them tightly. Chanyeol was frozen, mouth slightly open as he stared at Baekhyun who was running his thumbs absentmindedly over Chanyeol's fingers. The contact was making Chanyeol's heart run a marathon, and he saw Baekhyun's cheeks turning pink.

"The ahjummas told me that you were always outside my room, waiting." Baekhyun said quietly, looking at anything but Chanyeol.

"U-uh...uhm, well...yeah, I was."

"Thank you, Chanyeol." Baekhyun looked up at Chanyeol, meeting his eyes and giving him a small  smile.

Chanyeol looked back, his words caught in his throat. The way Baekhyun looked at him was too much. No words could express how Chanyeol felt at that moment, the boy's slim fingers wrapped around his hand, the eyes that held so much emotion, and the cheeks that held the slightest of blushes. Chanyeol tentatively moved his fingers to lace them with Baekhyun's, and when the latter didn't flinch away, he laced them together, squeezing Baekhyun's hand gently.

"I'm always here for you, Baek." And Baekhyun smiled the brightest of smiles.


Chanyeol and Baekhyun spent the following two weeks together. The taller boy would always find a way to sneak into Baekhyun's room even if it was past visiting hours. He'd stay at the hospital even if his mom's shift was done, Hyeonjong giving him knowing looks when he'd tell her to go home first. Baekhyun would snap at him for being such a rule-breaker, but Chanyeol would always use his puppy dog eyes on him, telling him that he was doing this all for him and that he should feel honoured. The blond didn't even have any choice except to blush and throw a pillow at the other, earning a chuckle and a few pinches on his cheeks.

It was on the last day of the first month of Chanyeol's summer vacation when they accidentally kissed.

It was a normal day, just like any other. Chanyeol knocked on the door softly, and Baekhyun told him to come in. Baekhyun would instantly cover his face as a camera flash momentarily lit up the room. Chanyeol groaned in frustration, begging Baekhyun like a little puppy just for one decent picture of him smiling, and Baekhyun adamantly refused, saying that it felt awkward for him to be alone in the photo.

"Okay then, let's take a selca together." Chanyeol suggested, smiling as he walked over to Baekhyun.

"Why are you so bent on taking a picture of me, anyway?" Baekhyun pouted as Chanyeol nudged him to move over and give him space on the bed.

"Because." Chanyeol quipped, sitting down beside the boy and automatically putting his arm around the other's shoulder.

"What do you mean, because? That's not a reason, pabo." Baekhyun giggled, snuggling closer as Chanyeol fished out his phone from his pocket, looking for the camera application.

"Because...well...I want to see you when I'm not in the hospital. Happy?" Chanyeol mumbled, his cheeks turning pink as he gave his honest answer.

"Aigoo, such a cheese ball. Alright, alright, let's take a selca." Baekhyun wouldn't admit it, but his heart was racing from Chanyeol's close proximity and his direct-to-the-point answer, his fingers firmly holding Baekhyun's shoulder.

Chanyeol, for God's sake, finally found the application amidst his multitude of game applications and junk. He held up the camera in front of them, positioning the camera so that they were both on the screen. When he was satisfied, he smiled his signature twitch, and Baekhyun's smile was probably bigger and brighter than he intended it to be as he looked at Chanyeol's face on the screen.

"Say kimchi!" Chanyeol chirped, and Baekhyun moved a little closer, holding up his hands for peace signs.

"Kimchi!"

Baekhyun thought he heard someone knock, so he turned his head. Chanyeol, on the other hand, thought that someone called him from outside the window, so he turned as well. It was just a light touch, a simple brush of warm and soft lips against another, causing something to explode in the two boys. Baekhyun gasped as he pulled away, hands going to his lips as his face turned a deep shade of pink. Chanyeol pulled away for a fraction, eyes wide as he stared at Baekhyun, gaze darting back and forth between the blonde's eyes and covered lips.

"I'm sorry. Oh my God." Baekhyun was the first one to speak, lips still covered by his hands.

"I-It's...uhm, it's okay." Chanyeol nodded his head, jumping off the bed and returning to his usual seat.

It was the first time since they met that they've ever experienced an awkward silence between them. Baekhyun went back under his covers, and Chanyeol suddenly started fumbling with his phone. After a while of awkward glances and failed small talks, Chanyeol cleared his throat, and Baekhyun looked at him.

"Uhm, I'll just go, uh, buy some drink. I-I feel thirsty. Yeah. I'll be right back." He said, pushing himself off the seat and hurriedly leaving.

As soon as Baekhyun heard the door click shut, he ducked under the covers fully, having trouble breathing for emotional and medical reasons. He pressed his fingers to his lips, and he blushed, a small smile tugging at his lips.

That was a kiss, right?


Chanyeol leaned on the wall, sliding down as he gripped a can of orange juice in his hands, pressing the cold surface on his burning cheeks. He was nineteen years old, for Christ's sake, why was he acting like a freaking elementary schoolboy over a simple touch like that? He's had a lot of girlfriends in the past, and though he's never done more than kissing, he was sure that he shouldn't be acting like this.

Then he remembered the knowing looks that his mom always gave him whenever he talked about Baekhyun, and the little teasing remarks she made whenever she got the chance. He remembered how she'd always literally wiggle her eyebrows when he so much as mentions the boy's name. He ran his hand through his hair in frustration, pressing the can firmly onto his cheek. The hand slowly went to his lips, his fingers pressing against it. A small smile grazed his features, and he groaned, a blush creeping onto his cheeks.

We kissed, right?

For confirmation, he fished out his phone, remembering full well that he clicked the 'capture' button earlier when they were taking the selca, but he just wasn't sure when exactly he clicked. He almost threw the can in surprise at the image that was displayed on the screen.

Yep, we kissed.


The next day, Chanyeol entered Baekhyun's door without knocking, and he saw the boy just waking up, yawning adorably as he stretched his arms over his head. He had a pout on his face as he slowly got out of bed and trudged to the window, pushing the curtain to the side and pressing his face on the window. The next moment was just too adorable for Chanyeol that he ended up saying a soft 'aww'.

"I wonder if Yeollie's coming today, too..." Baekhyun had whispered, peering outside and even tiptoeing to see more.

As soon as he heard Chanyeol, though, he whipped around, eyes wide and face red from embarrassment. He opened and closed his mouth like a fish, wanting to say something but no words coming out. Chanyeol grinned sheepishly, scratching his cheek with one finger as he stepped closer to the blond.

"I'm here, Baek." He said, smiling as he looked at Baekhyun's figure that was still clad in a huge shirt and faded blue sweatpants.

"Ch-Chanyeol! Oh my gosh, how long have you been there?" Baekhyun asked, suddenly patting down his hair and straightening his shirt.

"Long enough to hear your musings, shorty." Chanyeol stuck his tongue out, and Baekhyun's blushing face was by far the, best sight he'd seen.

"Knock, will you? God." Baekhyun muttered under his breath as he made his way back to the bed, and Chanyeol pinched his cheek.

"Stop sulking, pretty, it doesn't suit you." And Baekhyun could've fainted right then and there at the nickname.

Chanyeol took his usual seat, and he got out his guitar, strumming the strings and catching the little spark of interest in Baekhyun's eyes. He took a seat on the bed, close enough to Chanyeol so that their knees were touching, and he let his slim fingers touch the smooth wooden surface of the acoustic guitar in Chanyeol's hands. Chanyeol watched him, a smile on his face as Baekhyun looked up at him.

"Are you going to play?" Baekhyun asked curiously, and Chanyeol crossed his arms over the guitar, resting his chin on them and smiling smugly at Baekhyun.

"Do you want me to?" He asked, and Baekhyun's eyes widened.

"Oh, will you? I'd love to hear you play!" He said excitedly, and Chanyeol ruffled his hair, making Baekhyun smile.

"Alright, alright. Calm down, shorty."

Baekhyun clasped his hands together in anticipation, watching curiously as Chanyeol tuned his guitar. He crossed his legs and placed the guitar comfortably on his leg, his arm habitually resting on the top as fingers brushed the strings. He positioned his other hand on the first chord, and with a quick glance at Baekhyun who was seriously watching him, he plucked the strings.

Baekhyun listened quietly, his face scrunching into confusion at the familiarity of the tune. Suddenly, his face literally brightened, and he cleared his throat. Chanyeol looked up at him, and Baekhyun urged him to continue. After a few more strums, Chanyeol got the shock of his life. It was only years of practice that didn't make him stop playing.

"I try to picture a girl, through a looking glass, and see her as a carbon atom, see her eyes and stare back at them." Baekhyun sang softly and tentatively, head bobbing to the music gently, a smile on his lips as Chanyeol's eyes widened.

Baekhyun continued singing along, and Chanyeol never felt better as he continued plucking the strings, humming along to certain parts and even providing back-up vocals in some. Everything was perfect, the warm sound of the guitar filling the room. Baekhyun's slightly raspy but beautiful voice danced in the air, and Chanyeol watched him as he sang the song so casually, sounding like a professional.

He couldn't help but feel that everything was finally starting to go well. For him, for Baekhyun, and maybe, just maybe, for them, too. He smiled as Baekhyun started snapping his fingers, the English words slipping out of his mouth easily, albeit sounding a little off with his Korean accent faintly there. Chanyeol strummed with a little more emotion, and he swayed his head to the music, smiling at the boy in front of him.

Yeah, I like you, he thought.

His smile dropped when Baekhyun's voice cracked, the boy suddenly going into a coughing fit. A repeat of last time was happening again. Baekhyun doubled over, coughing like there was no tomorrow, growing pale with each second, having the most ing hard time breathing, breaking out in cold sweat.

Chanyeol forgot everything. He dropped his guitar carelessly, rushing to Baekhyun's side. He pulled him into a hug, rubbing his back and whispering words of assurance. Baekhyun continued coughing, and he was gasping for breath. Chanyeol reached his hand out to the help button, and pressed it multiple times. When he was satisfied, he wrapped his arms around Baekhyun again, rubbing his back. He felt one of Baekhyun's small hands clutch weakly at his arm, and he felt like crying.

"Baekhyun, you'll be okay. Trust me." Chanyeol whispered.

"Y-Yeol...it h-hurts..." And that was the last straw; Chanyeol's breath hitched as he felt tears stinging his eyes.

Just like last time, the door opened, Baekhyun's doctor coming in and gently pulling Chanyeol away. The nurses soon followed, Hyeonjong with them, but she pulled Chanyeol out of the room, closing the door behind them. She pulled her son into a tight hug, and it was a touching yet heartbreaking scene to witness. Chanyeol was a foot taller than her mother, but here he was, feeling very much like a kid again as he hugged Hyeonjong for comfort, turning into a literally huge mess of sobbing and sniffling.

"Shh, it's okay, Yeol, it's okay...Baekhyunnie will be fine." She whispered, but she knew for a fact that everything was just going to go downhill from there, and as much as she wanted to not sugar coat things, she couldn't bear to see her son cry like this.

"....no, it's not, mom...Baek's not okay..." Chanyeol's voice cracked, and he cried into his mom's shoulders that night until the doctor and nurses came out, saying that Baekhyun needed to be alone again, his condition much worse than before.


A/N: I guess it's about time I left an author's note, though I don't think anyone cares since nobody even bothers to leave comments. Hahaha, I . Anyway, if you guys are following this, I'm pretty sure you're already going 'woah what the why the fast updates', well, it's because I think have some kind of ADD when it comes to writing, and right now, I'm just itching to write a new BaekYeol fic (that'll probably be left underappreciated again lol). So this'll end faster than you think!

Thanks for reading, my lovely bacons and eggs! I appreciate it. ♥