Hoseok

Six people Jeongguk met in the hospital.

 

Hoseok

 

Jeongguk was rushed into the hospital. His mother yelled for help, one hand still tightly pressed against his stomach. He felt the world around him shake, blur out. But just beneath the cloth his mother had put on his stomach he felt the warm blood pour out. Is he going to die?

-

The next time Jeongguk woke up he was much more alive than he thought he'd be. He was lying in a hospital bed with his mother sleeping on a chair by it. His whole body felt heavy and he could swear that the room spun around him. It was only a few moments later that he passed out again.

-

“He’s waking up.” Jeongguk heard his mother whisper out and felt her warm hands over his own. He could smell the faint scent of her favourite perfume in the air around him. It almost felt like home, but the sick scent of hospital overpowered it.

The woman stood over him, her warm eyes watering when he smiled lightly at her.

“Don’t,” she said when he tried to lift himself up on his elbows. “Your stitches might snap.”

He felt like he was about to throw up. His guts felt like jelly and his left side stung. He could feel the stitches right above his left hip, but the feeling of the cold blade in him was still lingering, even now.

“What time is it?” he asked voice so rough he could barely recognize it.

His mother pushed the cup under his chin and Jeongguk took the straw between his lips, water soon gliding down his throat.

“It just passed midnight,” she informed and returned the cup back into its original place. “I’m going to get someone to check on you.” Her hand grazed over Jeongguk’s cheek before she slipped through the doors.

Jeongguk heard sheets ruffle on the other side of the room but chose to ignore it; the patient next to him must have been sleeping. Only a moment after his mother came into the room with a young male wearing white. He had dark hair and a bright smile. Almost looked like a model.

“Hello, Jeongguk,” he said in a slightly raspy voice, “I am Jung Hoseok, your doctor. I’ll just take a quick look at your wound.” He talked slowly, as if he was giving Jeongguk time to process the words.

His hands though, were quick. His hands quickly ed Jeongguk’s shirt, just enough to be able to change the bandage on Jeongguk’s wound. His fingers were cold on Jeongguk’s skin, even through the gloves. There wasn’t enough time for Jeongguk to catch on what he was actually doing; only catching bits when he’d lift himself onto his elbows, only to be told to lie back down.

Though the examination soon ended, Hoseok wordlessly put on the new bandages and buttoned up Jeongguk’s shirt.

“You’ll be fine.” He was smiling, warm and gentle. “The knife did, though, cut through your kidney, so we’ll keep you around here for a few weeks.”

Jeongguk nodded in understanding and lifted the corner of his lips to give the man a half smile. The elder gratefully took it and stepped back. For a moment his eyes shifted over to the next bed. He smiled at the patient and walked out. He must have crashed a nurse in the hall because the moment the doors closed there was a loud thud and Hoseok was apologizing.

A small giggle came from the other bed and Jeongguk wondered what their relationship was. 

 


 

first chapter done, six to go. 

i'm making hoseok a bit older here than he actually is. 

gif cr: x