Race To The Top

We Intertwined

A/N: Sorry for the wait guys! All my fics are awaiting updates right now. I felt oddly inspired to work on this one because of a dream I had...I have also been watching Invincible Youth while working on some artwork. Anyway, before I get to the chapter preview I'd like to bring your attention to my latest blog entry. Due to some problems at home, I decided to open up writing commissions to make some extra money. Check it out if you're interested! I would greatly appreciate it. And if you're interested in getting some fanart done I also have art commissions opened up on my tumblr. Feel free to message me if you're interested in either of these!! Thank you and please enjoy the kind of update (1.5k 2.6k long!!)! Full chapter should (hopefully) be out tomorrow!

EDIT: Full chapter now

---

Hyomin had to stop when her dog counterpart took an extra second to pee against one of the nearby trees. It felt weird to be so closely connected to a dog, but somehow it also felt really good. Like maybe her and Sunny were connected by fate. These feelings are what fueled her through this morning, and she only hoped she could continue to show Sunny this bright side of her. As Hyomin waddled back over to her, she turned to see that Sunny had finally caught up and she smiled at her.

"Sunny!" she exclaimed, an idea suddenly dawning upon her. It came out louder than she had intended, but she didn't notice, too excited by her suddenly brilliant idea.

Sunny flinched, surprised by Hyomin's sudden burst of energy and not to mention volume. She laughed soonafter though, liking the way Hyomin's eyes seemed to be sparkling now. 

"Yes, that's me," she chuckled, raising an eye brow at her new friend. Hyomin sure was a character, full of surprises from their first meeting til now. Sunny couldn't wait to get to know her better.

"Race to the top of the hill?" Hyomin then suggested, her smile only growing wider with each second that passed.

"But I don't even know where it is!" Sunny continued to laugh, shaking her head.

"I promise you it's just straight ahead, just follow this path!" Hyomin continued to say with passion, pointing enthusiastically at the dirt road ahead of them. She began to jog in her spot, ready as ever. Sunny was beginning to doubt if this was the same girl that had passed out on her property.

"Alright alright, let's do this!" Sunny cheered, also beginning to jog on the spot. Hyomin's sudden energy was contagious and Sunny was not one for losing any races. She wouldn't admit it out loud, but she's a little on the really, ridiculously competitive. Back in high school she was the captain of the volleyball team and was famous for her quick reactions and insane spikes. 

Hyomin was certain that she saw a little spark go off in Sunny's eyes, as if a flame had just lit up. But she wasn't going to back out now!

"Ready, set, go!"

The two set off at lightning speed. Little Hyomin, not entirely sure what was going on, but ran after her master diligently, barking into the air in excitement. The small dog was confident in her speed and had no problem keeping up with the two in front of her.  

Sunny allowed her competitive side to take over for her as she bolted across the dirt trail, trying her best not to slow down even as the pathway became steeper. Not only was she fueled by the will to win, but she really wanted to catch what the view was like from up there. 

"Eat my dust!" Sunny called out, looking back to see Hyomin struggling to keep up. Despite the distinctive pull in her legs, she pushed on. After all, she got this race in the bag!

However, running too fast does have its faults. For example, it's really difficult to stop once you've gone, even for the mysterious blonde who had just appeared in front of Sunny's face.

"Watch out!" she screamed, although futile due to the instant collision that occured after.

"Sunny!" Hyomin called out from the distance, checking the situation closely. "Sunny are you okay?" It was almost laughable, seeing two bodies suddenly collide, but Hyomin had to be sure that Sunny was okay. Sunny's dog was barking like crazy as well, not sure as to what just happened.

"Jessi! Oh my God, what happened here?"

Due to the shrill voices surrounding her, Sunny immediately sat up from the comfy grass, looking around. Next to her she saw a passed out blonde, the same one she saw the instant before they crashed heads. Oh no, did she do this?! She knew she had a hard head but she didn't think she could knock out someone cold.

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!" Sunny said frantically as she leaned over to the girl who had fallen next to her. She then turned to see another girl kneel down, looking at her friend with concern. Was she going to yell at her for doing this to her friend? She bit her bottom lip as she prepared more apologies. 

"I'm sorry, I was running really fast and I didn't see her until it was too late and-" Sunny had to stop talking because the girl next to her was staring at her now. Staring very, very intensely. She could feel a chill go up her spine and she wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not.

"W-Who are you?" the unknown girl asked in a much lower voice than earlier. She's still holding onto the blonde girl's hand, but her focus is entirely on Sunny. Almost as if she's under a spell.

"I'm Sunny," the smaller girl introduced herself with a little bow. It's kind of a strange time for formalities, but the stranger did ask for her name. She tried for a smile and it only made the stranger's eyes sparkle more. 

Finally, Hyomin has caught up and is kneeling in the grass next to Sunny. She's immediately checking her head for bruises until she noticed the other girl staring intensely at her. But before she can say anything, she's pushed aside by the other girl and finds herself on the ground. Mini Hyomin goes to her side, checking if she's okay. She's about to pounce on Tiffany, but Hyomin holds her back and into her own lap.

"I'm Tiffany! It's nice to meet you, Sunny!" Tiffany exclaimed as she moved in closer to Sunny, reaching her arms out as if trying to hug the girl. "Has anyone told you that you're really cute? Because you are seriously adorable!!"

Hyomin stared at the two girls with hung open, not believing the scene before her. It hasn't been too long since she's seen Tiffany, but the girl is completely ignoring her and is currently all over her new friend! But being the quiet girl she was, Hyomin just continued to stare, unsure of what to do next. Little Hyomin is just squirming in her arms, confused about the situation but Hyomin wasn't about to let go. 

"Th-Thanks?" Sunny replied, unsure of what to think. She can feel her cheeks burning up because she has to admit, Tiffany's cute too. But that's aside the point, wasn't this girl worried about the knocked out blonde?

"So are you new here? Or maybe you're just visiting? Either way, I can totally show you around!" Tiffany giggled afterwards and Sunny found it charming. But she really shouldn't get distracted.

"Um, isn't this your friend I just knocked out?" Sunny asked, getting back to the point. Hyomin let out a sigh of relief as she watched Tiffany look back down at the blonde girl, her mode immediately switching back to concerned friend.

"Oh my God! Jessi! Are you okay?!" she screamed into her friend's face, grabbing her shoulders and shaking her. 

With Tiffany's attention back on her blonde friend, Sunny turned to call Hyomin over with her fingers. The girl was petting dog Hyomin as she watched from afar. She smiled at Sunny, glad that the girl didn't forget about her.

"Do you know these two?" Sunny asked as they carefully watched Tiffany try to wake up this 'Jessi' girl.

"Yeah, they're two of our towns best waitresses," Hyomin replied with a nod, "They're rivals but also best friends."

Before Sunny could continue the conversation, the blonde girl finally began to stir in her place. All eyes were on her as she slowly got up with the help of Tiffany.

"This is the last time I'm going on one of your early morning walks, Tiff," she grumbled, holding her head in her hands. There was a soft ache on her forehead, but nothing too major. 

"Oh come on! How often does this kind of this happen?" Tiffany whined, holding onto Jessica's hand tightly. "Besides, Sunny already apologized a million times."

"Sunny?" Jessica tilted her head curiously, turning to the stranger Tiffany spoke of. "So you did this to me?"

Jessica's voice was cold and low and suddenly Sunny had flashbacks to her old math teacher. She automatically fixed her posture and felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand up.

"Y-Yes, that's me," she stuttered out, trying her best to smile. "I'm sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going and happened to bump into you."

Instead of responding, Jessica took a moment to scan Sunny's face, down to the rest of her body which rested on the grass. She seemed very petite and Jessica swore she heard her mother say that the new farmer who had come to replace Mr. Kim was named Sunny. She couldn't believe it for a moment. 

"Are you twelve?" Jessica asked suddenly, raising an eye brow at the small girl.

Sunny flinched, surprised by Jessica's direct question. 

"Um, I'm actually 18," Sunny grumbled in response before puffing her cheeks out. How much taller does she need to grow in order for people to take her seriously?

"You're the new farmer, yes?" Jessica continued her assault of questions, "You're pretty tiny for a worker and not to mention careless."

"Jessi, stop!" Tiffany urged, holding her best friend back from Sunny. "Sorry, Sunny. She probably stayed up late last night and I made her wake up early and you see, she is not a morning person and hates it when people cut her sleep short and well, she doesn't mean anything she's saying."

Hyomin nodded furiously in agreement, having been on Jessica's bad side countless time, "Yeah, Sunny. You're not careless or anything either okay! Don't listen to her."

Sunny bit her lip, her attention focused mostly on Jessica. "Please, allow me the opportunity to prove to you my worth as a worker," she pleaded, her hands reaching out for Jessica's. "I may look like a kid sometimes, but I promise you that I am hard working and responsible and that this incident was just...well, an incident!" Her eyes burned with determination as she stared Jessica down, trying to get past her glare.

Tiffany knew it was just a front and was surprised when Jessica's eyes softened for a moment, her lips turning up into a smile.

"Okay, okay," Jessica replied with a smirk, "Come work at my family's cafe tonight and we'll see what you're made of. It'll be a test of strength and you'll be owing me back for the small lump on my head, deal?"

The small girl smiled brightly at the proposal, "Deal! Thank you, Jess...i?"

"The name's Jessica," the other girl said with a flip of her hair, "Only Fany and my sister call me Jessi."

"Can I call you a nickname too?" 

Jessica was pulled back by Sunny's forwardness and chuckled, surprised by the girl being so friendly after she had basically yelled and scolded her. Most people were afraid of her after the first meeting, even Hyomin was clearly still a little intimidated by her. Sunny was certainly different.

"We'll see about that," Jessica said as Tiffany helped her up. "Anyway, I promised mom that I'd bring her back some flowers and the cafe opens soon so we better head off."

"We'll see you later, Sunny! Bye Hyomin!!" Tiffany chirped as the two best friends made their way in the opposite direction.

"Sorry I had to cut our race short," Sunny sighed as she held little Hyomin in her arms, "I think some force of nature wants me to bump into everyone in this town."

Hyomin shrugged, "Well it's a small area. I think you should get used to bumping into everyone."

Sunny tilted her head, "Hmm, oh that's really exciting! It'll make it easy to get to know everyone that way. Is that how you met the entire town?"

"Well, being the daughter of the Mayor kind of requires me to know everyone," Hyomin chuckled as the two reached the final small pathway towards the top of the hill. "And I've worked for everyone at least once so there's that too."

"Oh, so have you worked with Tiffany and Jessica then?" Sunny asked with a wide smile, "They seem like a fun duo."

But Hyomin shaked her head, surprising Sunny, "Naw. I actually don't really have friends here besides my sisters."

Sunny felt a sharp pang hit her heart, "Oh, really?" She couldn't possibly imagine why. Hyomin seemed like such a sweet person.

"Yeah, but it's okay, I don't really need a lot of friends anyway." Her tone of voice gave away her real feelings, but Sunny pretended that she didn't hear that.

"You don't need a lot of friends because you have me now!" Sunny declared with a pump of her fist. 

Hyomin stopped in her tracks as she felt her heart get enveloped by warmth. Sunny was definitely one of a kind and way too sweet to be real. No one had shown her such kindness, even the fellow villagers who she's known since she was small. She's suddenly extremely thankful for falling asleep on Sunny's field. 

"You okay?" Sunny asked with a raised brow, "Did we go the wrong way or something?"

Instead of replying, Hyomin wrapped her arms around Sunny's waist and pulled her close. Although confused by her sudden actions, Sunny returned the hug and smiled, knowing for sure that she and Hyomin will be friends for a very long time.

After their quiet and intimate hug, the two held hands and made their way towards the top of the hill with little Hyomin running around like crazy. Her senses were being driven wild at the large amount of wildlife nearby. Squirrels, rabbits, flowers and a huge array of different grasses, little Hyomin wasn't sure what to focus on. Sunny laughed at her best friend, looking like she was having as much fun as she was looking around with Hyomin.

Once they reached the top of the hill, Hyomin instantly placed her hands around Sunny's eyes. 

"You can't open them until you're in the perfect spot, okay?" Hyomin demanded, shuffling Sunny into the sweet spot of the hill top, where she could see absolutely everything. Sunny giggled, feeling tickled by Hyomin's delicate fingers.

"Alright, alright!" she replied with her laugh increasing in volume. 

Sunny only had to wait a few seconds before she felt the weight of Hyomin's hands remove themselves from her face. 

"Wow..." she mumbled to herself, absolutely astonished by the view. 

She swore that they didn't even go that high up, but because of how small the town was, Sunny could literally see everything within the town's boundaries. From her farm to the Mayor's house, to the supermarket to the different cafes. Hyomin pointed out all the places and Sunny could feel her head spinning.

"This place is beautiful," she breathed out, her mind still wrapping itself around the wonder of such a small town. "I'm kind of upset that I haven't been living here all my life."

"Well, you're here now," Hyomin said with a delighted sigh, "And it's better late than never."