Toy Flowers and Moon Drops

We Intertwined

A/N: Thanks for the comments and subs! Here's the full chapter~

“Hyomin, you just called my name,” the stranger responded before yawning again, “I don’t remember ever meeting you before. If you told me your name already, sorry but I guess I must have forgotten it already.”

Sunny began to chuckle when this Hyomin person revealed that she had the exact same name as her dog. What a strange coincidence! She was beginning to feel that this small town might be a lot more interesting than she thought, even more so than the ever so busy city.

“Hyomin’s actually the name of my dog,” Sunny stated before picking up the small creature.

Hyomin looked at Sunny before looking at the dog and Hyomin the dog just stared back, tilting her head in curiousity.

“You named your dog after me?” Hyomin asked, rather flattered by the thought, “I don’t know what to say! I’m honoured!”

“No, no,” Sunny replied with a giggle, “It just so happens that the two of you share a name.”

Hyomin stared at Sunny before giggling herself for acting so silly, of course.

“Well, that sure is a strange name for a dog. Why didn’t you name her Fluffy or Prince or something,” Hyomin offered as she carefully raised her hand to pet the dog who shared her name.

Sunny stuck her tongue out playfully, “I didn’t want a generic name for a dog like those. Hyomin is a great name.”

“Thank you, mom picked it out herself,” Hyomin nodded as her dog counterpart jumped into her arms.

Sunny couldn’t help but laugh at Hyomin’s words, shaking her head wondering if that was supposed to be a joke or not.

“Anyway, my name is Sunny, I just moved here,” she figured it was about time she introduced herself.

“So you’re the one taking care of the farm, huh?” Hyomin asked with a tilt of her head, “I actually came by to say hi and offer my services.”

“Services? Is sleeping on the field one of your services?” Sunny teased the girl and almost laughed again when she saw the pink hue in Hyomin’s cheeks.

Hyomin shook her head furiously, the dog following suit, “No! I just…I was tired and the grass was so comfy and…”

“No, I totally understand!” Sunny butted in with a wave of her arms, not wanting her new friend to feel too embarrassed, “I actually just fell asleep a few feet from here.”

The two fell silent as Hyomin played with her feet, suddenly feeling shy. Since they first met, Sunny’s voice and face and laugh were all just so lovely and interesting to her. Every thought she had before seemed to have disappeared and she couldn’t seem to find her words. What was she even doing?

“Anyway, about those services,” Sunny said, finally interrupting their silence. “Are you from a farmer’s family too?”

Hyomin shook her head, “No, I’m actually one of the Mayor’s daughters.”

“Oh, really?” Sunny was a little taken aback, not remembering the Mayor mentioning a third daughter. Well, she guesses that he never said anything about Yoona and Taeyeon being his only children. Sunny wondered if there was more.

“I don’t really have a title or place like Yoona or my unnie do. I kind of just do odd jobs around the town to help people out and make some money,” Hyomin answered with a shrug. Her voice was quiet and Sunny had to lean in to hear her properly. “I never really stick out so you probably haven’t seen me until now.”

“Oh no, it’s nothing like that!” Sunny exclaimed, trying to save the girl’s confidence, “I just moved in yesterday, I haven’t really met a lot of people so it’s not that I never noticed you or anything.”

Hyomin let out a sigh of relief before smiling sweetly at Sunny, “Anyway, I can water your plants or something minor like that. Mr. Kim never trusted me with bigger tasks, saying something about me being too clumsy or whatever.”

Sunny seemed to believe that, Hyomin looked like the clumsy type. Besides, how many people just black out in the middle of the field?

“Well, I’m about to go explore the lake and mountain area,” Sunny offered, scratching the back of her neck, “You could be my tour guide! Although I don’t really have much money to give you now.”

Hyomin shook her head furiously, excited by the prospect, “First day is free! I would love to show you around.”

It would seem to Sunny that the girl was almost shouting since her voice finally got a little bit louder. It was nice, seeing her so excited after a strange introduction.

“Alrighty Hyomin, lead the way!”

Hyomin and Hyomin were walking at top speed, almost as if they were having a race against each other. Sunny watched from behind, very amused by her new friend and her best friend. She shook her head before taking a look around her.

Nature, nature was absolutely everywhere. The air was so fresh and so crisp and there was a cool breeze as the day was getting brighter. It must have only been about 7AM.

There were trees everywhere and a few flowers and a variety length of grasses. Everything was naturally grown and nothing was cut or trimmed or refined like the parks back home.

“What kinds of flowers are these?” Sunny asked, stopping to pick some up. Some were white and some were yellow, but both were rather simple in design. She placed them close to her nose and inhaled deeply, enjoying the fresh scent of flowers.

“They’re toyflowers and moon drops,” Hyomin said, having noticed Sunny halting earlier. She crouched over her and touched the petals, “They grow in the spring time. If you ever have the time to spare, I’m sure some villagers would really appreciate you bringing them some flowers.”

Sunny made note and nodded to herself before reaching her arm out towards Hyomin, “For you!”

Hyomin stared at the bouquet in front of her, unsure of what to do. But Sunny shoved it closer to her, almost tickling her chin with the plants.

“Come on, don’t be shy,” Sunny laughed, smiling her bright and dazzling smile that seemed to reflect the bright morning sun.

“Y-You sure?” Hyomin asked, slowly grabbing the flowers from Sunny’s hands.

Sunny just laughed again before stepping back and admiring a shy looking Hyomin with her bouquet, “Come on, I see a cottage over there! I want to see what it is.”

Once Sunny turned away, Hyomin allowed herself to smile and smell the flowers that her new friend gave her. No one had ever been so nice to her.

Once she snapped out of her daze, she turned to see Sunny and her dog walking towards the Kim’s cottage that was hidden amongst all the trees.

“That’s where the carpenter and his daughters live,” Hyomin announced, jogging a little to catch up to the small blonde. “He’s actually a little old now and only works on really special projects, his daughters do most of the work.”

“Do you think they’re open yet?” Sunny asked, trying to peek through the cottage’s windows.

“We’re not open for another hour Missy!” a voice called out and the group turned to see two women carrying piles of wood with only gloves on their hands.

“Oh, hey Hyomin, who’s this you brought with you?” another of the two women called out. They were a few metres away but they were both rather loud.

“Name’s Sunny!” Sunny replied, screaming into the distance, “I’m new here!”

The two women decided to come a bit closer to save everyone’s voices and maybe prevent themselves from disturbing the peace around them. The put down the wood into a huge pile that laid neatly next to the college before taking a closer look at Sunny.

One of the girls had long blonde hair and was only a little taller than Sunny. She was a lot more built than Sunny’s rather scrawny self and the other girl only made Sunny look tinier. She was much taller than her, with long black hair tied up in a ponytail. Both girls were much tanner than her, obviously having seen the sun a lot more.

Sunny looked forward to getting a bit tanner. Sometimes when she looked in the mirror she was a little blinded by her own pale skin.

“I’m Hyoyeon,” the blonde one introduced herself, offering her hand to Sunny.

“And I’m Yuri, her sister!” the brunette said, also offering her hand.

Sunny stared at both hands, unsure of whose hand to shake first. Instead, she offered both hands and instantly regretted it when both girls shook her hands furiously, with incredibly tight grips. She almost lost her balance, but managed to keep her ground.

“You sure are tiny for a farmer,” Hyoyeon commented, patting Sunny’s head playfully. “Are you sure you can handle the job?”

Sunny sighed, a little tired of people doubting her. It looked like she really needed to prove herself and fast.

“I am more than sure,” Sunny reassured them, looking Hyoyeon straight in the eyes. “Besides, aren’t you a little small to be calling me tiny?”

Hyoyeon just laughed, “You’re calling these, tiny?” And then she flexed, showing off her rather toned arms. Yuri followed suit, although she didn’t really need to.

Sunny rolled her eyes before giggling at their proud muscles, “Okay, okay, I take it back. Anyway, what do you guys do?”

“We build and stuff,” Yuri said with a wide smile, “We’ll work on your house when you’re ready for an upgrade and we work on your barn and coop too. Once you have the resources and money. It gives you space for more animals and stuff.”

“Resources?” Sunny repeated, looking at them with wide eyes. “Like, I have to chop my own wood?” She wasn’t really expecting to upgrade anytime soon. Having more than a few animals already seemed a little overwhelming to her.

“It really isn’t that hard,” Hyoyeon said before pulling out an axe from a nearby stump, “Here, take this as a welcome gift. We just sharpened it the other day and it’s not too big so I’m sure you can handle it.”

Sunny turned to Hyomin, looking at her with doubtful eyes. Hyomin however, smiled at her and gave her an encouraging thumbs up.

“You sure I won’t hurt anyone with this?” Sunny asked, carefully taking the axe from the other blonde.

“I’m sure! Besides, if you somehow, accidentally throw the axe, we’ll be sure to protect Hyominnie here,” Yuri reassured her, giving her two thumbs up.

“How do I even use this?” Sunny was surprised by her own strength, lifting the axe with ease. She remembered helping move her things into the car without her father’s help, and she remembered being asked to move around heavy things in high school, but she never thought she could easily wield an axe.

Hyoyeon pointed at a nearby log, “It’s easy little guy, just pound into the wood as hard as you can.”

“Little guy?” Sunny repeated incredulously.

“Nice nickname, right?” Hyoyeon said with a chuckle, “You can call me big guy or Hyo.”

“I think I’ll stick with Hyo,” Sunny responded with a laugh before walking towards the stump.

Taking a deep breath, Sunny lifted the axe high above her head. And with a powerful and very worried exhale, she pounded the axe deep into the stump, causing a huge indent.

“Whoa!” Hyomin exclaimed, running closer from behind Yuri to see the cut first hand. “That’s amazing Sunny!” She glanced at Sunny with amazement and admiration in her eyes.

“She’s just saying that cause she can’t even hold an axe,” Yuri said with a chuckle, “But still, you did pretty good for a beginner. You sure you don’t wanna become a carpenter instead?”

“I think I’m good with farming,” Sunny replied before lifting the axe again. After a few more pounds, she managed to make some rather uneven but chopped up pieces of wood. It was a little tiring, but it felt really good.

“Looks like you have a lot more in you than we thought,” Hyoyeon complimented Sunny, patting her head again. “Anyway, we ought to get back to work.”

“It was really nice meeting you,” Yuri added before walking over to their cottage. “We’ll see you around?”

“Of course!” Sunny said before moving on to another stump.

“Sunny, do that later! I really want to show you the hill top.”

Sunny put her axe down, turning to see Hyomin and Hyomin running another direction. She smiled to herself, surprised to see Hyomin so much more comfortable with her already. Maybe the name was destined to belong to her best friend.