New Beginnings

We Intertwined

A/N: Hey guys! Thank you so much for your comments and support, they are greatly appreciated~ This chapter isn't too long but I'm slowly introducing all the characters haha. Please do upvote and leave more comments if you can! Enjoy this chapter oh and thanks for the subs! I'm pretty busy with school and life but I'll update when I can.

---

Before she knew it, the sun was setting.

Sunny had changed into a plain white shirt and overalls, the outfit that Old Man Kim always fashioned. He also had a red scarf wrapped around his neck, but unfortunately Sunny didn’t have one. She made a note to buy one in the future however. But maybe of a different colour, perhaps yellow or orange.

She was thankful for the overalls for she realized that her shirt was getting wet because of her sweat. Normally she’d find the sweat to be a little gross, but somehow she found it satisfying. The sweat was the result of hard work, her hard work. She stretched her back and limbs, having used her muscles to their absolute maximum. Weeding and clearing her farm was absolutely tiring, but seeing the results of her work made her really happy.

Hyomin was happy too, for she was rolling around in the soft dirt. Sunny shook her head at her playful dog and whistled for her to come over.

Sunny tossed her scythe over to her side as Hyomin jumped on top of her. She her dog’s fur affectionately and giggled as her best friend began to her.

“Should we call it a day, girl?” she asked her dog as she scratched behind her ear. It only wagged its tail and barked in response.

“Isn’t it still early to call it a day?” a sudden voice came out of nowhere, startling Sunny.

The small girl fell over backwards and was shocked that Hyomin wasn’t barking like crazy at the stranger on her farm. Normally her dog was good at detecting people, especially random people that snuck up behind her.

“Sorry! Did I surprise you?” the voice asked. Sunny then felt a hand on her shoulder. The girl’s touch was delicate and her voice was soft.

Sunny turned around to see a woman in a white lab coat.

Strange, wasn’t it too hot to be wearing a coat?

Finally, Sunny noticed a stethoscope around the woman’s neck and a name tag. She must have been a doctor!

“Just a little,” Sunny finally brought herself to respond. She got up and brushed the dirt off her pants as Hyomin sniffed the doctor’s legs curiously.

“Your dog is adorable,” the stranger commented, crouching down to give the pet some affection. “You should bring her for check ups too.”

“Oh so you’re a veterinarian?” Sunny asked, tilting her head. She didn’t expect such a small village to have a vet, but she was thankful.

“Yes, and I am a doctor,” the woman answered, smiling warmly and nodding her head, “You must be Sunny, correct? My name is Dr. Seo Joohyun, but feel free to call me Seohyun.”

Sunny bowed at Seohyun and offered her hand. She happily accepted it and gave Sunny a firm shake.

“I just came over to introduce myself,” Seohyun explained, her head refusing to stop nodding slowly. “I wanted to make sure we get acquainted, and I want you to come get your health checked as often as your schedule permits it. Most preferably, every day.”

Sunny’s eyes widened, every day was a little too much. Who needed to get their health checked that often? She tried to calm her eyes and simply smiled and nodded in return. Seohyun seemed like a very kind woman, and very caring to want her to come get checked so often.

“I’ll try to come at least once a month,” Sunny replied with a nervous laugh. She hated the doctor to be honest. She hated the smell of clinics and she hated being checked. “I almost never get sick so there’s nothing to really worry about.”

The change in Seohyun’s expression slightly frightened Sunny. The small girl stiffened as air huffed out of Seohyun’s nostrils and the woman placed her hands on her hips.

“Once every two days?” she offered seriously, her eye brow raised.

“Once every two weeks?” Sunny offered back, wiping the sweat off her forehead. She wasn’t certain if the sweat was from her physical labour or from her sudden nervousness.

“Once a week,” Seohyun reflected firmly, her eyes narrowing and her gaze piercing Sunny.

The smaller girl sighed, there was no use fighting the older woman it seemed. She smiled weakly and probed her cheek with her tongue, slightly irritated by Seohyun’s persistence.

“Fine, once a week,” Sunny gave in, slightly agitated. But her anger instantly faded when Seohyun’s eyes twinkled and she clapped her hands together in happiness.

“Excellent!” she cooed before patting Sunny’s shoulder, “I’ll see you soon, then?”

Sunny couldn’t help but laugh at the older woman’s excitement over something so simple as her agreeing to get check ups. Perhaps Seohyun took her job extremely seriously?

“Sure,” was her short and sweet reply. She gave Seohyun a flash of her brilliant eye smile and the older woman bowed at her.

“Take care then, Sunny!”

Once the older woman could no longer be seen, Sunny pondered over her initial words. Was it really too early to call it a day?

Perhaps she should work a little longer. She may have been tired, but she wasn’t exhausted. And that’s when the thought of her poor unnamed sheep came to mind. She waved goodbye to her dog and let the girl wander around on her own while she headed straight to the barn.

Upon opening the door, Sunny called out to her animals, “Babies, I’m here!”

The two animals turned to her, giving her their full attention. They made several noises as Sunny pulled a brush out of the bag she found in Old Man Kim’s house.

She wandered over to her cow, Greeny first and it affectionately before nuzzling it with her face.

“Good girl,” she cooed before brushing the cow’s fur. It barely moved as she groomed it, only its tail wagging. It seemed to really like the feeling of the brush against its skin and cooed happily as Sunny got around to brushing its entire surface area.

“She seems to like you a lot,” a stranger’s voice called out, causing Sunny to drop her brush.

Why does everyone in this village like scaring her? Is this how the place worked? Did everyone suddenly pop in on everyone whenever they wanted?

Sunny shuddered before doing her best to regain her composure. She picked up the fallen brush and looked up to meet eye to eye with her intruder.

She looked like some kind of human pole. And to Sunny’s horror, as she approached her, she happened to be about a head taller as well. She noticed it right away as well and snorted.

“Oh my, how tall are you? Like two feet?” the stranger asked before chuckling at her new discovery.

Then, without warning she picked up Sunny, “Aww, now you’re as tall as me!”

Within seconds Sunny’s anger hit the roof of her barn. She was worried that her animals would begin to fear her if she exploded right now however, and simply flicked the stranger as hard as she could.

“Ow!” the stranger yelped, instantly letting Sunny go.

Luckily, Sunny had impeccable balance and the girl managed to land on her feet without any problems.

“And who are you?” she growled with a tiny bit of hostility in her voice. “You really should knock before coming into my barn.”

Instead of the responding, the tall stranger simply challenged Sunny to some sort of a staring contest. Sunny immediately accepted this challenge and stared down her opponent.

However, after a few moments of feeling kind of dumb, Sunny pouted.

“Okay, seriously, who are you and why are you here?” she asked, her patience wearing thin. Everyone in the village seemed so sweet so far, this girl must have been an unfortunate exception.

“Name’s Sooyoung,” the stranger responded with a cheeky smile. She was extremely pleased to have annoyed Sunny, “I was just checking up on my friends here. I was just at your chicken coop actually.”

The name rung familiar in Sunny’s head, “Sooyoung?” she repeated. Her anger had dissipated as her mind tried to recall why the name is so familiar. “Sooyoungie?”

“You can call me that if you want,” Sooyoung responded with a shrug, “I guess that means I can call you Sunny-ah, right? Or many Sunbun? Although there’s a rumour that your full name is Soonkyu.” The tall girl ranted as Sunny’s mind made the connection.

“Ah! You’re my chicken!” Sunny blurted out, satisfied with her memory.

Sooyoung blushed, someone it slipped her mind that the old man had named one of his chickens after her. And now that chicken was Sunny’s.

“You should reword that statement,” Sooyoung said with a bit of nervous laughter, “It sounds a little weird.”

Sunny rolled her eyes, “You’re a little weird,” she retorted, giggling at the reaction the tall girl gave her. She was a little stunned, gaping. “I’m going to call you Chicken then.”

Sooyoung did not understand how quickly their circumstances changed, “It’s pretty rude to call someone a chicken, shorty.” But she was certain that she would flip the game over once again in her favour.

“And it’s pretty rude to call someone shorty, giant,” Sunny retaliated, crossing her arms and raising her brow at the other girl.

“Fine, I’ll just call you Soonkyu then,” Sooyoung responded, sticking her tongue out at the other. “Sunny doesn’t seem to suite you at all. Taengoo said you were cute, but I’d beg to differ.”

Sunny froze at the mention of her real name, and her eye brow began to twitch, “Don’t you dare call me that!” Her face felt flushed at her embarrassing, old fashioned sounding name. How did this stranger find out about it anyway?

“I’ll see you around, Soonkyu,” Sooyoung replied, completely ignoring Sunny’s request, “The only thing adorable about you is your size, what a disappointment.”

Sunny could feel steam coming out of her ears as she watched this Sooyoung happily skip out of her barn. She’d hold back, for now. She’d give that chicken girl a piece of her mind sooner or later.

By the time Sunny had finished brushing the sheep and checking on her chickens, the sun had finally gone down. It was awfully quiet in Mineral Town in comparison to what she was used to back in the city.

She had no complaints however, for she craved the sounds of nature. No one would miss the sounds of police cars and angry drivers.

She decided to lay down on a patch of grass as her dog sat on her belly. The stars certainly looked a lot brighter out here as well.

“This is much better than I expected,” Sunny cooed as she closed her eyes and took in the beautiful night. “And it’s only the first day.”

The small girl must have been much more tired than she expected, for the next time she opened her eyes, it was day time.

Sunny shot up from her spot and looked around frantically. The sun was just rising and she could hear sounds from the rooster and chickens back in her coop.

“Morning already?” she muttered to herself as she wiped away the sleep from her eyes. “The ground must’ve been a lot more comfortable than I thought.”

After getting herself up, Sunny stretched the ache and stiffness from her joints and raised her arms to welcome in the sunlight. It was another beautiful day on her farm.

She decided that since it was still rather early, she should perhaps explore around the outer parts of her farm a bit more. There was a lake and a hilltop nearby that her mother told her about on their way over. She would pick some flowers, she decided. Her house could use some more decoration.

“Hyomin!” she called, for her dog had run off once her eyes were opened. Either she woke up a bit earlier or she looked for a nicer place to get some rest. “Hyominnie!” she shouted again, hoping that her dog hadn’t run off or anything.

“Stop shouting,” a voice grumbled, causing a shiver to go up Sunny’s spine. Who could that be? She was starting to think that everyone in the village was some sort of master at hiding.

Sunny looked around to find a girl lying in the grass not too far away from her, “Hello?” she mumbled to the sleepy looking stranger.

Her dog had made its arrival, just as she bent over. She barked loudly and obnoxiously, causing the stranger to stir.

“Ah, Hyomin calm down would you?” Sunny giggled at her overly excited dog. “This girl here might not appreciate your loud barking.”

The stranger stirred in her sleep before slowly opening her eyes, “How do you know my name?” she mumbled, yawning loudly.

“Huh?”