~Final~

Say Goodnight, Say Goodbye

 Two Years Later

 

Taemin was home once again celebrating his birthday. He didn’t come home the previous year as someone special to him had passed away on that day.

 

After that birthday Key hyung became Taemin’s best friend, almost like an umma. He was so proud when Taeminnie made the dance team in his university and when he got good grades that Taemin gave him that nickname.

 

1:30 PM

 

“Hyung! I missed you so much.” Teamin said running over to hug Onew in the middle of the airport. He didn’t care how it looked to others, not anymore.

“Minnie, time has done great with you.” Onew carefully inspected his little cousin who was now grown.

“Hyung, I told you in the letters, don’t call me Minnie anymore. Just call me by my name, Taemin.”

 

As they drove over to Onew’s place Taemin kept thinking on how to talk to Onew. He used to be his closest friend but after going away things had changed. He didn’t tell his family about the few times he had been back in the city, it had been only to see Key and it was hard to explain to Onew why would he come back solely to see Key.

 

How am I even supposed to start…

 

“Taemin, hey, we’re home.” Onew had been trying to get his attention for a bit but it had not seemed to work.

“Oh, yeah, let’s go inside.” Taemin followed him quietly inside his place. Everything looked the same except for an updated gaming system and the sparkly clean house.

“Jonghyun was excited about you coming so he cleaned up. He should be here later though.” Onew offered.

“How..”

“Jonghyun told me what happened on your birthday. He was losing it last year because he thought you wouldn’t come back because of him. This year you did and it got him ecstatic.”

“Hyung it wasn’t because of him. And to be honest there is something I need to tell you.”

 

Surely Taemin had grown up, but these words and his expression made him seem like a man.

 

“Go ahead, I’m listening.”

“Hyung remember how on my birthday you ran into Key hyung?” Taem asked. Onew seemed to go speechless at the mention of Key, but more at the familiarity that Taemin used when referring to him. “Later that night after running out on Jonghyun, which I’ll explain later, I met Key hyung. He sort of saved me. It’s funny because after that I mostly called him umma even if it was a joke half the time.” He chuclkled dryly.

“Did you invite Key today for dinner?” Onew asked stiffly.

 

A tear escaped Taemin’s right eye and finished on his plump lips. Oh how I wish he could.

 

“Hyung, do you know why he tried greeting you at least that day? He had seen you plenty of other times before but never approached you. He greeted you that day because he wanted to make amends. His life had an expiration date starting that day.”

 

Realization hit Onew. He thought he had seen Key before but even at the smallest suspicion he would just duck and hide. But after then he never saw him or suspected again.

 

“He chose being my friend in my time of need as a way of making amends with you. But we became great friends you know, and it had nothing do with you. We ended up being lovers until the moment time brought us apart. He wanted me to let you know that he was sorry for how he hurt you. But I guess he knew I would tell you when it was too late.” He lowered his head.

“Too late?” Although Onew knew what he was saying he just wanted to confirm, he didn’t want to jump into conclusions.

“He passed away on my birthday last year. That week they had told him he had a month left so I decided to stay back, but we didn’t know it would just be a matter of days before the stomach cancer would kill him.” He broke down in sobs and instinctively Onew wrapped his arms around the younger. He was sad his little cousin went through that, but he was also glad he had met Key. Key had meant a lot to him despite everything and judging from how the younger ended up being attached to him he had been a great friend to the other most important person in his life.

 

5:00 PM

 

“I’m glad you came after all of that Taemin.” Jonghyun said with a sad smile.

 

Taemin had explained everything that had happened; from the reason as to why he had run away to why he didn’t return until now.

 

“I’m glad I’m back too.” He smiled shyly.

“And you have grown so much. You’re more manly now, you stopped looking like your sister.” He joked around making Taemin push him slightly.

“Okay guys, let’s go, I’m ready.” Onew said as he came back to the living room after showering and changing his clothes since he ended up being the last one taking turns.

 

On their way to his mom’s house Taemin noticed the glances Jonghyun would throw in his direction. He giggled at the thought of how Jonghyun used to be and how Jonghyun seemed so tamed now.

 

“Okay, let’s surprise them!” Onew cheered.

 

I hope mom doesn’t faint.

 

“Auntie we’re here!” Onew yelled as he went through the house with Jonghyun following behind him as Taemin stayed back a bit.

 

Taemin’s mom appeared into the living room and as if it was planned Taeyeon, Minho and Taemin all entered at the same time.

 

“My baby!” His umma exclaimed running over to hug him.

 

She’s gonna be the death of me if she keeps hugging me like that. But why is noona so shocked? Oh!

 

Taemin had noticed the intertwined fingers between his sister and Minho. But it didn’t make him angry. His sister noticed where his eyes went and immediately stepped away from Minho releasing his hand.

 

“Hey mom, its good to see you too. Can I hug noona now?” His mom nodded and Taemin went over to hug Taeyeon. It was a sight that made his mom delighted after so long.

“Hey noona, finally with your man huh?” He said before engulfing her in a hug. He noticed her stiffness and figuring she must feel confused he motioned Minho over to join the hug. “I hope you have been taking care of my sister you meat head.” Which made them all laugh.

 

They’re together at last.

 

11:00 PM

 

They had finally gotten back to Onew’s place and the chicken king went to sleep as soon as he arrived claiming a food coma. Taemin knew he was faking it, they knew each other too well for that.

 

Jonghyun had just finished putting his sleeping shirt on before he heard a knock on the door.

 

“Come in.” As soon as he said those words the person that was on the other side came in.

“Jonghyun we need to talk.” 

“What about?” He gestured towards the bed as he sat on the chair, not trusting himself to be on the bed even if Taemin were to use the chair.

“Two years ago you confessed to me. I want to know if you still feel the same way.” Taemin asked biting his lip. He had pondered over many what if’s during those two years and he didn’t want to remain in the same agony.

“Taemin in the past two years I have changed so much, just like you. But one thing I didn’t regret about my past behavior was that exact night, because I poured my feelings out. Those feelings are as strong as ever.”

“Then can I say something?” The younger asked and Jonghyun nodded. “I may have been confused back then. But after what I’ve been through I realized two things. One: life is a , and a short one that is. And two: even though you’re friends with the one I consider my brother you still took a chance on me. Would you be willing if I said I wanted to take a chance with you?”

“I will.”

 

Dammit why don’t you just come over and kiss me!

 

As if he had heard his thoughts Jonghyun laid him completely down on the bed and propped himself on top of him.

“Damn did I miss you.” He said as he caressed the younger’s face before leaning in for a sweet deep kiss.

~THE END~

 

------------------

For those who are seeing this update after a couple of years: sorry for making you wait so long. Taemin's birthday will now be meaningful to me. Chapters 1 to 3 were written and posted near and on Taemin's birthday two years ago which also ended up being my baby niece's birth day and also back then it had been a challenge. Last year I had planned to finish it and do it with a 'One Year Later' type of thing, the ending was going to be completely different, but also that same day my uncle passed away. So I am finishing it with a different idea, but I'm proud of this one and happy it turned out this way. I hope you guys enjoyed it.

- Lele

Completed: 08/04/15