~Three~

Say Goodnight, Say Goodbye

 

Taemin was used to always being protected by his family and his family's friends.  But knowing none of them was even near made him afraid to death at the moment.

 

After Jonghyun's confession he ran out on him.  He didn't know how to take it, first Minho and now Jonghyun, both of them unexpected.  He was used to feeling like no one in the world would like him for a partner, specially as a friend, because being gay for ignorant people was not normal and God knows the world is full of ignorants.  Taemin was used to running into them, so he decided that he would just keep everything hidden and to himself.

 

And now, there he was, with two ignorants in front of him, or at least an ignorant and a half.  One shouting hurtful words at him and the other one encouraging him, even though Taemin could tell he had a .

 

"You little , you look so much like a girl, why don't you just cross dress and show us that tight little of yours."

 

Okay, make that two closeted dummies.  It was raining and Taemin couldn't make their faces well.  Being in an alley never seemed like something that would happen to him, but he felt like it was going to happen at any moment now.

 

But there was now a knife pressed in the jerks neck.

 

"Both of you leave now."  Said the cat-like person with feisty attitude. "And don't you ing dare come near me.  You move closer and I stab your friend."  He said menacingly.

 

When they left the blonde male came close to Taemin.

 

"What are you doing near here Minnie? And alone.  Come with me."  He said grabbing Taemin's hand and pulling him up to his feet.

"Who are you?  How do you know me?"  Taemin asked as he couldn't remember seeing him before.

"Aigoo.  I'm a friend of your Onew hyung.  Lets get your clothes dried and I'll take you home.  I live nearby."  He said as he brushed his fingers over Taemin's knuckles trying to soothe him.

"Okay."  Taemin decided to trust him.  He said he was a friend of Onew and since he had never seen him before he supposed that it was a school friend Onew had or something.

 

When they got to the building Taemin couldn't help but notice how it was run down and it looked like a bad neighborhood.  But then a sneeze came and he remembered why he came here in the first place.

 

"Omo!  Let's get you dried quickly."  The blonde man said hurrying up the stairs.

 

They both got to the third floor and the blonde man ran into the apartment hurriedly.  He quickly came back with some clothes in his hands.

 

"Come, come."  He lead Taemin to the bathroom quickly and locked him inside with the clothes.  "Change and take a shower.  Bring me your clothes when you're finished to dry them off."  The blonde man yelled from outside the door.

 

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

When Taemin came out of the bathroom with his wet clothes in his hands.  The blonde man took them out of his hands and put them in the dryer.

 

"They will be dry in no time.  Come here, drink this.  You like hot chocolate right?"  The blonde man asked the younger.

"Yes, thank you….."  Taemin trailed off not knowing the stranger's name.

"Kibum, or Key, either one works."  He said with a smile handing the younger a cup.

"Thanks Key hyung."  Taemin said comfortably.  Since he had said he was Onew's friend he should consider him one too right?

 

They both sat there in the kitchen table in silence, sipping from their warm drink, enjoying its chocolaty goodness.

 

"So you were hyung's friend?"  Taemin asked.

"Yeah, we used to be really close back in high school.  But you know, you grow up and things happen.  I remember he used to talk a lot about you and he once showed me your picture.  I'm glad I was still able to remember your face.  What were you doing around this neighborhood anyways?  It's not safe you know."  He said scolding lightly the younger.

"I don't know I just walked around."  He shrugged.

"But you should pay attention, you don't know when strange people can come up to you."

"You're a stranger."  Taemin pointed out.

"But its different, I knew you from reference.  Promise you will pay more attention next time.  Something like this shouldn't happen to you again."

"I promise."  Taemin said lowering his head. "It's just that…" He trailed off and decided to stop.  He didn't know why he was about to open up to a stranger, he should do that with his Onew hyung or his sister, not someone he just met.  But he just gave him this sense of comfort.

"What happened?"  Key asked putting his hand over Taemin.

 

Taemin sighed.  He decided to let it all out.  A stranger wouldn't judge you as harshly, would they?

 

"See today was just strange."  He started off slowly.

"How come?"

"What would you do if two people close to you confessed that they liked you?  I mean I never thought I would get a confession, neither from my crush or my cousin's roommate."

"Onew's roommate is a girl?"  Key asked raising an eyebrow.

"No, a boy."  Taemin said lowering his head.

"Is your crush a boy also?" Key asked and Taemin just nodded.

"So this means you're gay."  Key stated and noticed Taemin lowered his head even more.  He reached his hands out to cup Taemin's face and make him look at him.

"There's nothing wrong with that.  I am too."  Key said and sighed. "I used to date your Onew hyung."  Key confessed.

"Oh.  I didn't know Onew hyung…"  Taemin said confused.  Why wouldn't Onew tell him that… "Wait!  You saw Onew hyung earlier tonight right?"  Taemin suddenly remembered.

"Uh, yes."  Key answered confused as to why he knew when that only happened a few hours ago.

"Well you must know who his roomate is since when he mentioned you Jonghyun knew."

"Jong the dino ?"  Key asked rhetorically. "No wonder he traumatized you.  I have a quick fix for that, want to bake cupcakes?  I mean is not the most manly thing to do-"

Taemin cut him off. "It's ok I'm not exactly manly.  Sounds fun, but I want to make crème brûlée cupcakes."  Taemin said leaving Key impressed.

 

Key usually only made simple cupcakes, but never something quite as elaborate as those.  They were entranced making the cupcakes and learning about each other as time flew by.

 

11:30 P.M.

 

"That's cool that you're going away for college.  It was always my dream but you know, when you're young you do stupid things.  Just never do anything stupid that will get in the way of your dream."  Key advised.

"Thanks hyung.  What time is it by the way?"  Taemin asked.

"Eleven thirty why?"

"This cupcake still counts as a birthday cupcake.  Guess this is the nicest thing that has happened in the birthday of heck."  Taemin sighed.  He didn't exactly considered this day horrible, but he wished he hadn't had to spend it like that.  At least hanging out with Key was drama-free, something that was perfect for his special day.