BLESSINGS AND OUTBURSTS

COPYCAT

 

 

 

“Where are we going?”  I asked Jiyong for the nth time.  He just kept driving.  The road we’re taking was

starting to look familiar.  He grabbed my hand sitting on my lap when he turned to the corner leading to

our house.

“I’m taking you home.”  He smiled reassuringly at me.

“EHHH?”

“I want to see your family.”  Jiyong continued.

“You’ve seen them before.  Why do you want to see them again?”

“Jagi…”  He prolonged the endearment he chose to call me.  I’m still not used hearing it from him.

“I want to give my respect to your mother.  And I want to ask her blessings to be with you.”

“You’re not serious, are you?  We’re still…”  I couldn’t continue what I was about to say.  I haven’t

figured out my real feelings for Jiyong.  Everything is like a rollercoaster ride.  He is very unpredictable. 

His sudden confession and display of affection was just too overwhelming.  Everything between us is

happening too fast.

“You can’t be serious.  Do you know what it means if you meet my mother?”

“I have been waiting for this my whole life, Jagiya.”

“No, Jiyong.  Don’t do this.  Just go back home.  Don’t do things you’ll regret later on.” 

We are now parked in front of our house.  There was no sign of Jiyong changing his mind.  My palms

started sweating.  I just hope my mother wasn’t home.  And Sanghyun.  If Sanghyun see Jiyong, he

would go ballistic.  My little brother always dislikes Jiyong for no apparent reason.

I hardly noticed the elegantly wrapped box Jiyong took from the backseat of his white Bentley.  My mind

was fully occupied by what he’s about to do.  I breathed deeply before opening the door to our house.

“OMMA!  I’m home.”  I called out to my mother.

“In the kitchen!”  She answered back.  I glared at Jiyong who suddenly went silent.  I was hoping he

would just leave.

My mom emerged from the kitchen while wiping her hands with the apron she was wearing.  Her eyes

darted to Jiyong standing behind me.

“OMMO!  Is that Jiyong?”  My mother exclaimed.  Unfortunately, my mother adores  Jiyong like a fan.

“Good evening, Ma’am.”  Jiyong bowed respectfully to my mother.

“OMMO!  You’re so polite, Jiyong-ah.  What brought you here all of a sudden?”

“Omma.  Why don’t we sit down first?”  I suggested.

My heart was beating erratically as I guided my  Omma to sit on the couch.  Jiyong followed us but,

instead of seating on the couch, he dropped on his knees on the floor and bowed in front of Omma

which made her gasp.  I kept my eyes on my lap while Omma pulled herself together.  Jiyong kept

kneeling on the floor.

“Jiyong-ah!  What’s the meaning of this?”  Omma asked in disbelief.

“Please give me your blessing to be with Dara.”  He asked of my mother.

“Dara, what is this?!  When did the two of you start dating?”  She asked me instead.

“Omma-”

“Get up from there, Jiyong.  You don’t have to do that.”

“I just wanted you to know how I feel for Dara.  I want to be with her.”

Omma sighed heavily.  She knew Jiyong wouldn’t budge from his position until he gets what he came for.

“As long as you don’t hurt my daughter.”  Omma started.

“Yes, Ma’am.”  Jiyong answered.

“Dara have suffered so much already.   I don’t want her getting hurt again.  I might do something stupid if you or anyone tried to hurt her.”  Omma continued.

“Omma…” 

I held her hands.  She’s starting to get emotional again.  I hate it when she cries. 

“I will do my best to love and protect Dara.”

“I will trust you, Jiyong.  Don’t disappoint me in the end.  Get up now. “

“Thank you, Omma!”

Jiyong bowed even lower.  That’s when Sanghyun entered the house in a rush.

“Is that Jiyong’s car out-“  He bursted as soon as he opened the door.  He halted walking when he realized we were not alone.

“What’s the meaning of this?!”  Sanghyun exclaimed.  He crossed the living room in two huge strides.  He towered over Jiyong who was still kneeling on the floor.

“Tell me I’m not seeing any of these.  This is ridiculous!”  He exploded once again.

“Calm down, Sanghyun.  You’re overreacting.”  I didn’t expect my brother having an outburst of emotion seeing Jiyong kneeling on our living room.  He pretty much understood the current situation.

“Unni, of all people, why him?  He will just hurt you!”  Sanghyun couldn’t hold his temper.  He really disliked Jiyong.

“Sanghyun, show some respect.  Where are your manners?”  Omma scolded Sanghyun.  She apologized to Jiyong for my brother’s rude behavior.

“I already gave them my blessing.”  Omma stated.  Sanghyun didn’t like what he heard.  His jaw tightened.  His eyes were murderous.

I glanced at Jiyong.  He was as pale as paper.  Beads of sweat were forming on his forehead.  I didn’t

know he was intimidated by my brother.

“I CAN’T BELIEVE THIS!” 

Sanghyun dropped his tall frame on the single couch next to me.  Omma urged Jiyong to sit.  He had

been kneeling for some time.  He winced when he stretched his legs. 

I can understand Sanghyun for his outburst.  He was the youngest but, he is istill the only man in the

house.  It is his duty to protect me, Omma and Durami.  He is such a caring and protective brother and

son.  I know he will not let anyone of us get hurt.

It took some time before Sanghyun spoke his next words.  It seemed he was deliberating with himself. 

“Noona, can you bring some soju from the kitchen?”

My head shot up upon hearing Sanghyun’s request?  I glanced at Jiyong.  He nodded his head slightly and smiled.

“I’ll prepare some snack.  Come, Dara.” 

Omma pulled me from my seat, literally dragging me to the kitchen.  I suddenly felt nervous for Jiyong. 

What is Sanghyun thinking?