Comfort

Tales of Im Yoona and Seo Joohyun

Living under the same roof as my eight unnies can get a bit crazy.  If one of us laughs, we all end up laughing.  If one of us is hungry, we all end up eating.  If one of us is bored, we all end up playing.  In that one dorm, we all lived happily, as one.

 

We still own that dorm, but the nine of us have decided to live apart for a while to spend time with our families.  For a while, we all enjoyed living with our families, not having to share as much, and getting some peace and quiet for a little.  That is, everyone but me…

 

As the maknae of So Nyuh Shi Dae, I was blessed with nine unnies living in that dorm.  But as we lived with our families, I couldn’t help but realize the prevalent emptiness within myself.  I was very pleased to live with my loving mother and father again, but I missed the playfulness of my unnies.

 

At the dorm, Taeyeon unnie would be a great leader keeping us all in line for our upcoming schedules.  At the same time, Tae appa would always goof around with the other members and watch Keroro early in the morning with me.

At home, I’ve been watching Keroro silently by myself.

 

At the dorm, Jessica unnie would often sleep past all the morning episodes of Keroro, but she always made sure I had enough sleep.  She would always inform me when it was midnight so I would go to sleep to regenerate my skin cells.

Now, I just have an alarm that blares and echoes emphasizing the emptiness of my home.

 

At the dorm, Sunny unnie would teach me how to play video games and have fun.  I still remember the day she came to the dorm with the newest Keroro video game.  We would compete with each other for hours, beating each other’s high scores.

At home, I sit in front of the screen, quietly beating my own scores.

 

At the dorm, Tiffany unnie would sing with me as we shopped or did the laundry.  She would sing in English and I, Korean.  Fany umma would even sing me a lullaby at night; to this day, I still believe her lullabies make my skin glow.

Now, I simply bid my parents goodnight and go to sleep in my lonely room shrouded by silence.

 

At the dorm, Hyoyeon unnie would often dance to everything she did.  Watching her made all of us want to dance and play music incessantly.  Hyo unnie would always take away my stress and encourage me to loosen up.

At home, when I’m stressed, my mother simply tells me to shower while my father takes a nap.

 

At the dorm, Yuri unnie would often cook too much food.  After making dinner for nine, she would holler “GIRLS FOOD TIMEE!” in her dinosaur voice.  Despite constantly making food for all of us big eaters, there would always be heap loads of healthy food left over.

Now, when I open the refrigerator, it’s basically empty, which encourages my parents to order take-out, the evil business of distributing unhealthy foods.

 

At the dorm, Sooyoung unnie would always make sure there was food in the fridge and go grocery shopping with me.  She would often whine to me in Japanese when I would switch her snacks for vegetables.  With her around, I practiced Japanese verbally everyday.

At home, I study Japanese to myself, sitting upright at the desk in my lonely room.

 

At the dorm, Yoona unnie…would just do everything with me.

Waking up, I would find Yoongie snuggled up close to me begging for ten more minutes of sleep.  Getting ready, Yoong would always compliment how I looked in whatever I was wearing.  At the dining table, Yoong and I would always exchange our food and feed each other.  Yoongie would always play games, and watch new episodes of Keroro with me.  When we needed to focus, she would always help me study and soothe me when I’d be stressed.  And when the day jam-packed full of schedules was completed, I’d be asleep after Tiffany unnie’s lullaby but later find my Yoongie hugging me in my sleep.  Tae appa and Fany umma would always reprimand her in the morning questioning if her doings were impure but Yoongie only does those things if I allow it.;D

Now, at home, I am empty.

 

I tried to hide the discomfort in my own home from my parents, but eventually they realized I was not happy living apart from my unnies.  Ultimately, I’ve decided to visit the dorm a few times.  I haven’t told my unnies this since I know they’re very happy living with their families once again.

 

-Present-

Seohyun’s POV

 

I stepped inside the empty dorm after my long day of schedules.  Scanning the room, memories flooded back into me after looking at each piece of furniture.

Looking at the large couch, I pictured Tae appa and Fany umma cuddling.

In front of the TV, I pictured Sunny unnie playing the latest video game with Sooyoung unnie feeding her chips and Hyo unnie bopping to the techno music emanating from the game.

In the kitchen, I envisioned Yuri unnie trying new recipes while feeding Sica unnie, her personal test taster (saddening Sooyoung unnie).

And in my room, I imagined my Yoongie fast asleep on the desk after practicing her script over and over.

How I missed the days I would remove her from the desk and onto the bed, cuddling beside her.

 

Caught up in my thoughts, I lingered into Yoona’s room and went under her covers. Ahh it still smells like my beloved unnie.  It feels as if she was still enveloping me with her comforting hug.  Within the comfort of Yoongie’s bed, I quickly fell asleep.  I truly felt at home.