An Idol's Infant

An Idol's Infant

            It’s early, not even six yet and the group doesn’t have to officially be until seven but as per usual, Minseok is wide awake and wandering around the dorm going from one room to the next to see if anyone else is awake. He receives a few disgruntled whines and mumbled curses from the other group members because like usual he’s disturbing their sleep and that extra hour makes all the difference in the morning. Instead of waiting around the dorm, Minseok decides to use his free time to get in a morning jog and maybe pick up some coffee for the other guys.

            It doesn’t take long for him to get dressed and pull on his sneakers before exiting the dorm, already mentally deciding what morning treat he would like from the coffee shop, maybe a scone or an apple strudel. As he opens the door, he’s stopped in his tracks by the sight of a large bundle of green and blue argyle patterned blankets. Cocking his head to the side, he stares at the mound, wondering whom left it in front of their door and if it is possibly a prank by a fan. As he watches the blankets they begin to squirm a bit and he can’t help jumping back somewhat startled and afraid because there could be a critter within the mass of blankets and this could very well be a prank by an anti-fan, which usually aren’t pleasant.

            Minseok gently pokes the blankets with his toe to see if anything happens. He receives a loud, wailing cry and nearly stumbles over the mess of shoes in the doorway as he tries to retreat back into the dorm. Once he’s gained his bearings, he hesitantly returns to the mound of blankets, slowly pulling them apart to reveal the small, flushed, round face of a baby.

            Unsure of what to do, Minseok checks the hallway to see if the person who left this here is within the area, but finding that he is very much alone he cautiously picks it up, hastening back into the dorm. He places the child on the kitchen table as its screams get louder. He doesn’t know what to do or how to handle this situation. His hands hover over the baby as he shushes it, pleading for it to quiet down.

            The noise has drawn the attention of one of the other members and Minseok looks up to see Yixing rubbing his eyes as he approaches the table. “Why is there a baby here?”

            “I don’t know,” Minseok groans, ushering Yixing closer. “But can you do something about the noise. Just make it stop. I can’t handle crying babies.”

            Even though he’s still half asleep, Yixing nimbly unwraps the child from the blankets to make it easier for him to pick it up. With skilled hands, he pulls the baby to his chest, cupping it’s head and bottom as he cradles the baby, shushing it tenderly until it’s cries have quieted down.

            “What’s going on?” Luhan asks shuffling into the room with Wufan and Tao close behind.

            Wufan stops short knocking into Tao a bit. “Why is Yixing holding a baby?”

            “Someone left it outside our door and it started crying and I didn’t know what to do.” Minseok gestures to the pile of blankets on the table. “Why would anyone abandon a baby at our door?”

           “If this is a joke, it’s really not funny,” Tao adds, pulling a chair out so he can sit down because he’s tired and he was really looking forward to that extra hour of sleep.

           “We have schedules all day. We don’t have time to deal with this.” Wufan pulls out his cell phone. “I’m calling Hyunkyun. He’ll know what to do.”

           “What’s this?” Tao pulls out a large envelope from the mass of argyle blankets finding it’s addressed to Jongdae. The group looks around for the man addressed only to realize that he’s not in the room, probably still sleeping heavily. Tao opens the envelope without a second thought pulling out various documents and notes. He hands a few of them to Luhan to look through before grabbing a letter himself.

           “This seems to be a birth certificate. It’s in Korean. The baby’s name is Byun Baekhyun. His parents are Byun Sooyun and Kim Jongdae.” Luhan pauses. “Wait! What? Is this for real?” He flips the document over examining it to see if it looks legitimate.

           “Then is the kid Jongdae’s?” Yixing rocks the baby a bit to keep it calm after being startled by all of the commotion throughout the kitchen.

           Tao waves the letter he’s been trying to decipher because it too is in Korean and he still has trouble reading informal writing. “From what I can understand of this letter, it’s his.”

           “Then someone needs to wake him up and tell him, so we can get an explanation,” Minseok says, sitting opposite of Tao because he’s suddenly too tired to deal with this overflow of information.

           “My pleasure,” Tao says, standing with determination ready to get revenge for losing that extra hour of sleep. Within moments, a loud thud can be heard from Jongdae and Kris’ shared room.

           A ruffled Jongdae emerges, sleepy grin on his face as he rubs his backside. “What’s with the panda this morning and why is everyone up so early?”

           Luhan steps forward, poking Jongdae in the chest as stands in the doorway to the kitchen. “You’ve got some explaining to do.” He pushes the documents into the other’s hands before crossing his arms and staring expectantly.

           The others are waiting as well, all eyes rest on Jongdae as he scans the documents, also having received the letter from the table where Tao left it. Once he’s finished reading the letter in it’s entirety, he lets out a deep breath one he didn’t even realize he was holding in. He slumps against the wall trying to regain his bearings before crossing the room to gaze at the baby sleeping in Yixing’s arms.

           “This can’t be happening. He can’t be mine. We were always so careful,” Jongdae mumbles, reaching up to gently run the back of his fingers across the baby’s cheek. Everyone watches in silence, trying to let the news of Jongdae possibly having a child sink in because this changes everything, puts them all in a position to lose everything they’ve worked so hard to obtain.

           “The manager will be here in a bit,” Wufan announces. “He’ll help us figure this out.”

 

 

 

 

 

           Less than half an hour later, their manager walks through the door, talking rapidly on his cell phone to someone of importance because he’s speaking with formalities. He raises his hand to keep everyone quiet as he replies to whoever is on the other end of the line. Once he hangs up, he asks to see the documents before speaking with Jongdae.

           “Is there any possibility that this child is yours?” Hyunkyun wants some sort of confirmation.

           “Possibly.” Jongdae furrows his brow in thought.

           “How? Explain it.” The manager grips Jongdae’s shoulder, staring him in the eye. “I need you to be honest with me if you want the company to help you in this matter.”

           “I met this girl a while back.” Jongdae begins. “She was here studying languages as an exchange student. She was Korean and I was just glad to have someone to talk to that I could understand. She was sweet and she didn’t know who I was and it was nice meeting up with her like I was a normal person. We went out for a while, kept each other company.” He looks around feeling the eyes of the other members boring into him. “I swear we were careful. I used protection.”

           “What I want to know,” Luhan interjects, trying to calculate when Jongdae could have met up with this girl. “When did you find time to meet up with a girl? We had promotions to deal with and our schedules were ridiculous. I hardly had time to sleep, much less think about girls.”

           Jongdae’s lips form a thin line as they curl into a smirk. “We made time for each other. I’d tell you guys I was going to workout or practice and sometimes I would meet up with her. Most of the time it was only an hour or two, but it was enough for us to enjoy ourselves.”

           “Clearly, you enjoyed yourselves a little too much,” Minseok says, waving towards the bundle of baby Yixing’s holding.

           Jongdae groans swiping his hands over his face as he leans back against the refrigerator. “I don’t even know what happened with her. She just kind of disappeared and I lost contact. She hasn’t called me once since then.”

           “Maybe she was scared,” Yixing says, now occupying a seat at the table with the baby wrapped up in one of the blankets while resting in his lap. “Maybe she thought she could handle the baby herself and didn’t want to burden you. Isn’t that what the letter says?”

           “Yeah, but the letter doesn’t explain why she suddenly decided to leave the baby with me. I haven’t heard from her in almost a year and a half. It’s already going on eight months old. Don’t you think she could have called at least once during that time?”

           “Like I said, maybe she was scared and his name is Baekhyun. Don’t talk about him like he’s a thing.” Yixing rocks his legs, cooing in an attempt to keep the baby sleeping when he begins to squirm.

           “If he is yours, what do you plan on doing?” Minseok asks leaning against the counter on the far side of the kitchen, as far away from the child as he can get without leaving the room.

           “Are you going to keep him?” Luhan asks, voice trilling with excitement. “He’s so cute.”

           “He’s not a toy, Luhan. We can’t keep a child here. We barely have room now and we can hardly take care of ourselves much less an infant.” Wufan acts as the voice of reason but he can’t help agreeing with the fact that the baby is definitely cute.

           “Cute or not, we don’t need a baby. We would never get any sleep.” Tao grumbles from his seat, head cushioned in his folded arms on the table.

           “Either way, we need to keep this a secret.” Hyunkyun says to the group. “I’ve spoken with CEO Kim and he says he will have people look into the matter. He doesn’t want us to alert the authorities or anything. He wants everything done as quietly as possible. For now, I’ve called a trusted friend to come over and take care of the baby for today while we keep to our schedules.” He looks at his phone checking the time. “If we want to keep our first schedule you all need to get dressed now so we can make it to the salon in time for our appointment.”

           The group disperses, retreating to their rooms feeling sleep deprived and thinking that the day is going to be a very long one. Yixing passes by Hyunkyun with the baby. “I’m going to lay him down in mine and Luhan’s room. You might want to make sure your friend picks up some diapers and formula, maybe some baby food too.” He keeps walking, mumbling to himself. “What kind of person abandons a baby without leaving any of the necessities. I mean, you can leave documents saying who the baby is but nothing to help us take care of him.”

           Hyunkyun muffles a laugh because Yixing has a point. He feels a bit of relief because at least Yixing has somewhat of a handle on things and is thinking clearly. Taking a moment, he texts his friend to make sure she brings some baby stuff while also making a note on his phone to pick up some more things before they return to the dorm that night. He can’t help thinking great, one more mouth to feed.

 

 

 

 

 

           The day ends up feeling longer than usual. Tao complains about having a headache during the second half of it and Yixing can’t help yawning every now and then unable to suppress them. Luhan’s giddy because he’s ready to get home while Minseok seems to be dreading it. Wufan hasn’t said much, probably trying to solve this little issue in his mind, probably running through different scenarios of what might happen depending on what step they take next, weighing out the pros and cons over and over again. Jongdae also hasn’t said much, remaining unusually quiet and contemplative. Everyone’s worried about him, but no one’s voiced their concerns for fear of someone overhearing them or possibly saying the wrong thing in general.

           Jongdae’s mind hasn’t really been on the baby, but on his mother because he’s really confused as to why she would just have the baby without saying anything and then abandon it. He knows Sooyun isn’t the kind of girl to just give up on her responsibilities. She was always the responsible type, keeping lists and making sure everything was done on time, while keeping her budget concise because she was funding her own tuition and living fees. She wouldn’t have had a baby without thinking it through much less leave it without a word, unless it was the very last option and if it was her last option, Jongdae wants to know why.

           He’s been struggling all day to understand what could have brought Sooyun to such a decision and without being able to speak with her directly, he keeps drawing blanks. He has no idea how to take care of a child and he doesn’t want to push it off on his parents because he knows they have enough to handle at the moment with their new business. Maybe things would be different if he had time to work up to the idea of taking care of a child and being a father, but having it upon him after the child has been born and without any explanation makes him feel likes he’s on a sinking ship with no life raft in the middle of the ocean without knowing how to swim.

           Jongdae can feel the panic rising within him ready to bubble over, but as soon as he’s about to burst a hand taps him on the leg, pulling him out of his thoughts. He comes back to reality, looking up at Yixing who’s sitting on his left in middle row of seats in their company van. Reaching over, Yixing grabs Jongdae’s clasped fists trying to make them relax. “Are you okay?” he asks, squeezing his hands for reassurance.

           “I don’t know,” Jongdae sighs, dropping his shoulders and releasing the built up tension in his body. “I think I’m still in shock.”

           “It would be weird if you weren’t in shock.” Yixing laughs almost silently and Jongdae wonders what’s so funny. “Have you ever thought about having kids?”

           “Of course I have. I just thought I would have them after I found a girl and got married, which is still years away in my mind. I’m all about my career right now, you know?”

           Yixing nods in understanding, letting the idea of marriage and children filter through his mind. “I think you’ll be a great dad.”

           “Really?” Jongdae stares over at Yixing, eyes wide and questioning as his brows furrow in frustration.

           Yixing grins dimples wide and genuine, bumping shoulders with Jongdae. “Baekhyun is lucky to have you.” Reaching up, he drapes his arm around the other, pulling him close to his side. “You’re not alone, you know. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask. I’ll do as much as I can and I’m sure the others will too.”

           “I don’t mind helping,” Luhan says, leaning over the seat behind them.

           “I’m not changing any diapers,” Tao adds from Luhan’s right. “Someone else is going to have to make sure he’s clean.” He continues scrolling through some fansite on his phone to see what pictures people have posted of him recently.

           “I’m not good with babies,” Minseok chimes in from Luhan’s left. “I’ll help, but don’t ask me to babysit because I really can’t be alone with a baby.”

           “I’ll help too,” Kris says simply from his spot in the front passenger seat.

           “See.” Yixing rests his head against Jongdae’s, hugging him closer. “I told you that you weren’t alone.”

           “Thanks for the reassurance.” Jongdae smiles, for what seems like the first time today and Yixing can’t help the blush creeping up his cheeks at the sight of it.

           Trying to fight back his own insecurities, Yixing mirrors Jongdae’s smile. “Anytime.”

 

 

 

 

 

           They make it back to a quiet dorm. The babysitter Lien enters the living room as soon as she hears the door open, putting a finger to her lips to make sure they all remain silent because she just had a rough time putting the baby down to sleep and he really doesn’t need to be woken up. She looks tired and maybe a bit cranky from lack of rest during the day, but she smiles as she fills everyone in on Baekhyun’s condition right before leaving to go home. Hyunkyun and the Chinese members do their best to translate what she says so Jongdae and Minseok can understand considering Lien can only speak minimal amounts of Korean since she’s still learning the language and the boys aren’t much better with their knowledge of Mandarin.

           “He seems to be in a decent routine of eating but he had some trouble sleeping. He didn’t take a nap earlier and it could be a number of things, maybe the different environment or he felt uncomfortable. He likes to be talked to and held, but he’s capable of sitting up by himself.” She pauses to think for a moment. “He likes the formula I brought and I would recommend it because it’s the best brand on the market unless you can order something better. He’s picky about his baby food though. I tried peas, carrots, and sweet potatoes and he only liked the sweet potatoes. Just try a few other flavors to see what he can stomach.”

           As Lien continues talking about Baekhyun’s habits and giving suggestions about how to feed and entertain him, she gathers her things. She leaves her diaper bag saying it’s a gift because she no longer has need of it. She recommends a brand of diapers and baby wipes saying they’re the best for sensitive children. There’s also a baby shampoo and body wash in the diaper bag along with powders and creams that most of the guys hope they never have to use. Lien also brought some onesies and bibs to dress the child in because you would be amazed at how many sets of clothes a baby can go through in a day.

           It’s obvious she’s concerned about leaving the baby in the hands of these guys but the only way for them to truly learn how to take care of the child is through trial and error. She gives them her number in case they need anything and promises the manager that she’ll come back tomorrow at the designated time. She’s happy for the gig and could use the extra money.

           “His teeth are coming in so he might be in some pain,” she adds. “Give him a cold, damp rag to on if he needs it and I’ll bring some teething rings tomorrow.” She heads towards the door slipping on her shoes preparing to leave the group of wide-eyed and terrified men behind with the baby. “If anything comes up, call me.”

           The manager walks out to speak with Lien alone and the guys look at each before drifting into their prospective rooms. The baby is on Yixing’s bed since that’s where he was this morning when Lien came, so she probably assumed that’s where he should be. Yixing doesn’t mind but he thinks the baby should be with Jongdae so it doesn’t get confused later on about whom he belongs to and at the same time he’s glad that the baby is resting in the cleanest room in the dorm.

           For now, he doesn’t want to disturb the baby so him and Luhan grab changes of clothes and some of their things taking refuge in the living room, sprawling out on the floor for some much needed rest. Jongdae drops by the room to check on Baekhyun before settling in the living room as well. By this time Hyunkyun is back and ready to discuss the matter with Jongdae.

           “Our CEO thinks we should get the child tested to make sure he’s definitely yours. He wants you to take a paternity test. Luckily, with the advances in technology, all we have to do is order a kit online and send off samples for testing.”

           Jongdae nods taking it all in, overwhelmed with the intensity of it all. “How long will it take for the results to come back?”

           “I’m not sure, but it shouldn’t be much longer than a week or two.”

           “If he is mine, what then?” Jongdae pulls his knees up into his chest looking very childlike and far from the soon to be twenty-one year old adult he is. “I don’t know how to take care of a child.”

           “I told you.” Yixing sits up crossing his legs while turning towards his friend. “You’re not alone. We can work together on this.”

           Jongdae shakes his head, voicing his concerns. “What about the group? What if this gets out? It’ll be the biggest scandal anyone’s seen in years. We’re still considered rookies and this could ruin us.”

           “It depends on how you spin it. We’ll have to be extremely cautious about keeping it a secret, but if it gets out and if he really is your son, we can try to make it a positive for us. I’ll think of something, so try not to stress too much about it.”

           The other three join the group in the living room taking up more space on the open hardwood floor. Tao and Wufan sit together beside Yixing, while Minseok crosses the room to sit next to their manager.

           Luhan rolls over to his stomach, facing the others. “What about the baby’s mom? Have you found anything out about her?”

           With a huff, Hyunkyun sits back, propping himself up on his arms. “I gave her information to the boss. He said he can’t get in touch with her and her parents haven’t seen her in over a week. Apparently, she ran away from home and I guess she hopped a plane here. No one’s seen or heard from her.”

           “Is there some place here you think she could be at?” Luhan asks, directing his question to Jongdae.

           “She had a few friends in the exchange program, but I never really met any of them. We spent most of our time with just the two of us. Her program would have ended around the time she stopped talking to me, so she would have returned home then.”

           “Seriously, Jongdae.” Minseok frowns. “How much did you know about this girl before you got intimate with her?”

           “You don’t have to know much about a person to do it,” Jongdae counters.          

           “And that’s what’s got you into this mess. You should have known better than to fool around,” Wufan chastises. “You’re an idol. You can’t afford to be so careless.”

           “Like the rest of you haven’t thought about. So it’s okay for you two to fool around with each other, but I can’t meet up with a girl secretly.” Jongdae waves his hand towards Tao and Wufan who look completely affronted because they haven’t really talked about their relationship with the rest of the group yet. “Don’t think I don’t know what you two get up to when I’m not in the room. I know you’re not just watching together.”

           “Watch it,” Wufan threatens, grabbing Tao’s arm to keep him in place because he was beginning to move towards Jongdae.

           Tao wrenches his arm free, promptly standing. He towers over Jongdae easily when they’re both on their feet, but the angle in which Jongdae has to tilt his head to meet the Tao’s gaze makes him seem even more intimidating than usual.

           “Just because you ed up doesn’t mean you have to go around bashing other people’s life choices. We’re not the one’s putting the group at risk.”

           “Tao, don’t say something you’ll regret.” Wufan takes his hand but Tao shakes him off, stalking into the room he shares with Minseok. Wufan stands to follow. “I’ll talk to him. He’s just worried.”

           Silence envelopes the room as Wufan leaves and everyone contemplates the information that Jongdae just exposed.

           “They’re seriously together?” Hyunkyun asks, a bit shocked by the news because he knew the leader and the youngest were close, but not that close.

           Jongdae shrugs staring at the floor, feeling attacked and a little guilty for criticizing his group mates. He plans to apologize later to make up for it. Yixing traces the floor with his finger absentmindedly, trying to remain silent while the atmosphere settles. Luhan hops up calling dibs on the shower while Minseok lies back on the floor, rubbing his temples to keep a headache from occurring.

           “Everyone’s just exhausted. Wash up and go to bed early, okay,” Hyunkyun suggests. “Tomorrow’s another long day of schedules.”

 

 

 

 

 

           t’s barely two in the morning and the guys have only just entered into the depths of sleep when little Baekhyun starts crying. Yixing let Jongdae have his room so he can sleep with the baby, so he’s in Wufan’s room with Minseok, while the other two are in Tao’s room. Eveyone’s all jumbled up for the night but they can all hear the loud screams of the baby.

           “God, that kid has a set of lungs,” Minseok whines pulling his pillow over his head.

           Yixing hops out of bed to see if he can assist Jongdae in any way. When he gets to his room, he finds Jongdae cradling the baby awkwardly with Luhan still in bed, hands pressed to his ears as he lays face first in his pillow. Yixing gestures for Jongdae to bring the baby out so they can let Luhan sleep.

           As they enter the living room, Wufan peers sleepily out of Tao’s room receiving and okay sign for Yixing telling him that he can go back to bed, which he happily does.

           They move to the kitchen, turning the lights on to better assess the baby who’s still crying. “Maybe he needs a diaper change,” Jongdae suggests patting the baby’s bottom.

           “I’ll get the diaper bag while you see if he’s wet.” As Yixing goes back into the living room to retrieve the bag, Jongdae sets the child on their kitchen table, undoing his onesie to get a better look at the diaper in question. With just one shift of the elastic fabric between the child’s leg, he’s hit with an undeniable odor that almost makes him throw up.

           “I think he did more than pee,” he says, holding his nose.

           Yixing sets the bag on one of the chairs, taking sniff and turning his head. “Yeah. Definitely more.” He pulls out the carton of baby wipes and a fresh diaper. “Looks like your first diaper is a bomb,” he says with a laugh.

           Jongdae groans, pulling the plain pastel yellow onesie further up and away from the diaper. Yixing coos at Baekhyun trying to calm him down because his cries are still relatively loud in the otherwise silent dorm. Pulling at the tabs on the diaper, Jongdae hesitates only peeking from the corner of his eye at the mess within almost gagging again. Yixing wrinkles his nose in disgust.

           “I don’t think I can do this.” He pulls the diaper open only to push it closed again. “Oh god, I really don’t think I can handle this.”

           Yixing huffs, moving Jongdae to the side because he doesn’t think the baby should suffer any longer because of his incompetent father. He takes the baby’s legs in one hand to keep him from wiggling, while sliding the diaper open and taking a baby wipe to clean up the mess. He takes a second wipe as he lifts the baby up by its legs to make sure he’s completely clean before replacing the dirty diaper with a clean one. With a little effort, he pins the diaper in place, snapping the onesie closed between his legs and handing the now cleaned baby to his father before bagging the dirty diaper and tossing it into the trash.

           Baekhyun’s quieted a little, but he’s still whining. Propping the baby up on his chest, Jongdae rocks him rhythmically.

           “You should talk to him,” Yixing suggests. “Baby’s like to be talked to. It’s calming. Just give him some reassurance.”

           Frustrated, tired, and ready to try anything, Jongdae begins to whisper to Baekhyun. “Hey little guy. It’s okay. Everything’s okay. Time to go to sleep.” He naturally kisses the baby on his black fuzz covered head, continuing with his whispering and rocking him with a few shushes added in here and there.

           “I’ll warm him up some formula to see if it helps.” Yixing pulls a prepared bottle from the refrigerator, silently thanking Lien for her thoroughness as he boils the water in the kettle. He doesn’t think putting the bottle in the microwave is a good idea for the baby and he’s sure his mom would scold him if he did so because she was always against using one for anything, too fearful of absorbing too much radiation and whatnot.

           Jongdae smiles thankfully wondering what he would do if Yixing wasn’t here because he’s making this whole baby thing seem so much easier than it is. By this time, Baekhyun’s stopped crying, but he’s still awake and sniffling.

           “How’d you get so good at this?” Jongdae looks down at the baby gingerly wiping some of the tears away from his flushed cheeks. His poor eyes are swollen and red.

           “Lots of younger cousins and some neighbors with newborns. I picked up a few things that kind of stuck with me.” He grabs a small pot, setting the bottle in it before pouring in the boiling water. “Babies aren’t exactly hard to understand. You just have to be patient with them.”

           “I’m glad one of understands them because they are completely foreign to me. I can handle kids but nothing this small and needy.”

           “It just takes some time.” Yixing glances at the bottle, touching the plastic to see if it’s warmed up a bit. “You two just need to get to know each other. You’re just as foreign to him as he is to you. How do you think he feels right now being in a strange environment?”

           Jongdae thinks about it, gazing down at the small child in his arms, wondering what it’s like to be so tiny and completely dependent on others. He’s probably confused and scared, probably wants his mommy more than anything and it makes Jongdae sad. “It’s okay,” Jondgae murmurs against Baekhyun’s head. “You’re safe here.” He caresses the baby’s head, resting his cheek atop of his crown as he murmurs more reassurances.

           Yixing watches the intimate moment with a smile. Checking the bottle, he takes it from the water with a towel, wiping it dry and giving it a few shakes before squeezing a bit of the formula onto his wrist making sure the temperature isn’t too hot. Finding it’s perfectly warm he passes the bottle to Jongdae giving him a soft pat on the shoulder.

           “I think you’ve got it from here,” he says before adding, “Try to get some sleep.” He runs his fingers through Jongdae’s hair, flattening the mess of bed-head down a bit, allowing his fingers to linger at the nape of the other’s neck. “You’re doing a great job by the way.”

           This time Jongdae can’t help the blush rising in his cheeks as Yixing leaves him in the kitchen with the baby who’s sleepily reaching for the bottle, eager to be fed until he falls back asleep. Yeah, he’s definitely grateful to have Yixing to help him with this.

 

 

 

 

 

           The next days is similar to the last with the boys waking up an hour early to the baby crying for a second time during the night, this time because he wet himself. Lien shows up early to take care of him while the group gets ready for their day, only this time Jongdae lingers around Baekhyun a little more, giving him a hug and kiss before they have to leave the dorm so they can make it to the salon on time. They have a fan signing as their first event, followed by a performance and then a set of interviews.

           Today they make it to the dorm early, because their afternoon schedules end before five, which means they’ll be able to eat dinner at home. This also means they get to spend some time with Baekhyun before he goes to bed. Lien tells them he did better today, wasn’t as fussy and actually took a nap earlier in the afternoon; so he’s wide awake when they get home. Jongdae quickly changes out of his stage clothes and into something more comfortable before taking Baekhyun from Lien. He finds he’s happy to see the little guy after their bonding time the night before. Baekhyun seems to recognize him, giving him a mostly gummy grin when Jongdae holds him. It’s comforting to know that the little guy is happy to see him.

           Yixing watches the moment from a distance not wanting to disturb them even though he wants to say hi to Baekhyun too. The others seem to be busy with their own things, too distracted to give much attention to the baby.

           “Isn’t he a charmer?” Yixing says after giving the father son duo some time together. He’s sipping on a cup of aloe juice as he drops to the floor beside the others.

           “That smiles a killer.” Jongdae has Baekhyun sitting between his legs, holding his hands to keep him steady while he kicks his little feet against the wooden floor.

           Leaning forward, Yixing makes a face while tickling the baby’s stomach causing him to squeal. Baekhyun tries to pull his arms together to protect himself, but he meets resistance so he starts kicking more wildly, laughing as Yixing continues to .

           The other members come in to inspect the cause of the noise. “He’s precious,” Luhan says, plopping down on Jongdae’s other side.

           Yixing stops tickling him for fear pushing him too far too soon. He doesn’t want him to start crying after laughing to hard and tiring himself out. Baekhyun’s smiling and his little tummy is moving up and down with heavy breaths as his eyes scan the room. He sees all the new people. After a few moments of staring in wonder, he starts scooting towards Jongdae seeking a place to hide away from all of the peering eyes. Sensing the baby’s unease, Jongdae scoops him up, crossing his legs as he holds the little guy in his lap.

           “Are you scared of these big guys?” he asks as Baekhyun clutches his worn t-shirt, trying to bury his face in the folds of the fabric.

           Yixing laughs, tugging at his little fingers to get the baby’s attention. “Don’t be shy. They’re not going to bite you. Well, I think Luhan might because he’s thinks you’re so adorable.” Yixing tickles his side, making him squeal again. “C’mon, you should officially meet everyone.”

           “It’s not like he’s going to remember us,” Tao says skeptically.

           “He needs to get used to everyone. He’ll remember your faces and voices. He’s already familiar with Jongdae and me, but he needs time with everyone else.”

           Taking the initiative, Luhan scoots forward tickling the babies other side, which causes him to snap his head around to find the culprit. He spots the new face, grinning shyly before tucking his face into Jongdae’s chest. “Look here,” Luhan says, tickling his side again. “You’re not going to be running away from me.” He pulls the baby’s hand away from Jongdae’s shirt, shaking it a bit to get Baekhyun to look at him. “I’m Luhan; you’re soon to be favorite uncle. Remember that okay?”

           Baekhyun peeks at him from the side of his eyes as Luhan grins before diving in to tickle him again causing the baby to burst into shy giggles. The others can’t help smiling at the interaction.

           “Who says you’re going to be the favorite uncle? I think Yixing has that locked down already.” Jongdae shifts his hold on Baekhyun to give him a better seat in his lap.

           “Please,” Luhan laughs. “Yixing’s like the designated mom. He takes care of the baby. I’m going to be the fun uncle who plays with him.”

           “And what about the rest of us?” Wufan asks from his spot beside Tao. They’re both standing in front of the four on the ground. Tao’s leaning lazily against Wufan, while the elder of the two slinks his arm around the younger’s waist. They’ve been close like this for most of the day, except when they’re in public, but it’s still more than they usually do. They’re little coming out last night must have made them more comfortable around the rest of the members since they don’t really have to hide the fact that they’re together and Tao seems extremely smug about the fact that he can openly occupy most of Wufan’s time.

           Luhan squints his eye and his head in deep thought. “Well, you two can spoil him by buying him things since Tao likes to shop. Besides, Wufan’s face will probably scare the baby. Minseok can be the one who protects him from a distance, since he’s too scared of babies to get close to him.”

           “I’m not scary. I’m great with kids.” Wufan kneels down to get closer to the baby. “Baekhyun. Baekhyun,” he calls, tugging at the baby’s onesie to get his attention. Baekhyun turns around, eyes growing wide as Wufan grins at him. “Hey, little guy. I’m Wufan.” He reaches out to touch the baby again, but this time the little guy wraps his arms around Jongdae’s neck, whining as he hides his face.

           “Sorry, Wufan.” Jongdae hugs Baekhyun, patting his back to soothe him.

           “I told you,” Luhan snickers. “You just have the type of face that scares babies.”

           Wufan stands, pushing Luhan over in the process.

           “It’s okay,” Tao says. “I’m the baby of the group and I like your face.”

           The rest of the group makes gagging noises at the display of affection, while Baekhyun stares at them like they’ve all lost their minds when they all burst into laughter.

           “You know, I’m completely fine taking care of him from a distance,” Minseok says, sitting off to the left of the group.

           “Why are you so scared? He’s just a baby.” Luhan playfully jabs the other in the leg. “He’s not going to hurt you or anything.”

           “It’s the other way around. I’m afraid of hurting him. He’s tiny and fragile and I’d rather keep a distance.” Minseok crosses his legs to pull them out of Luhan’s reach for fear of being poked again.

           “He’s more sturdy than you think,” Yixing says. “Besides, he’ll let you know if you’re doing something wrong. You’ve heard the pipes he’s got on him.”

           “I really don’t like crying babies either. I really can’t handle it. It stresses me out.”

           “I know the feeling,” Jongdae mumbles. “The crying kills me.”

           Baekhyun wiggles his hand up the side of Jongdae’s jaw until he reaches his mouth. The baby touches his lips trying to grip at them as if to figure out why they’re moving before pulling his hand away and tucking it into his own mouth, gnawing on his fingers a bit until he’s drooling on his hand on down the front of Jongdae’s shirt.

           “I think he’s hungry.” Yixing stands, reaching out take the baby. “Do you mind if I feed him?”

           Jongdae shakes his head before handing him over. “I’m getting hungry myself. What’s for dinner?”

           The guys break into a discussion about whether to order out or cook in while Yixing breaks open a jar of puréed peaches to test them on Baekhyun’s taste buds. The babysitter said he seemed to enjoy applesauce and green beans for lunch but there are still a lot of flavors for them work through.

 

 

 

 

 

           The second night isn’t as bad as the first. The room assignments are back to normal now that Jongdae’s apologized for exposing Wufan and Tao. Luhan’s kind of glad that the baby isn’t his room anymore because the crying is more muffled when the baby’s a wall away. The baby wakes up twice during the night, but Yixing doesn’t stay up for long once he sees that Jongdae has Baekhyun under control, but he still worries that Jongdae losing more sleep than he’s allotted may start to cause problems if their schedule gets any busier.

           As the week goes on, the boys get used to the sounds of the baby crying during the night. Baekhyun wakes up like clockwork around two and five in the morning. He usually needs a diaper change and a little milk or a soothing rock to get back to sleep, but he’s surprisingly a relatively calm baby. He’s not as fussy and the guys worried he would be. Apart from the diaper bombs, he’s not particularly messy either. When it comes to feeding times, he stays relatively clean and when he does get messy, he gets fussy, so the boys have learned that keeping Baekhyun clean makes him a happy, fuss free baby, which is something they can all live with.

           Sometime during midweek, the paternity test kit comes in and Hyunkyun takes swabs of the inside of both Jongdae and Baekhyun’s cheeks to have them sent off and tested. By this point, Jongdae has a feeling that Baekhyun’s definitely his and this test is simply a formality. He doesn’t really know why he feels this way, call it a parent’s intuition or something, but the way Baekhyun looks into his eyes and smiles makes his heart twinge with fatherly affection and he just knows that Baekhyun’s his. He sees Sooyun in Baekhyun’s eyes and smile, but he sees himself in Baekhyun’s nose and gestures. It may be the fact that Jongdae’s Baekhyun’s dad or the fact that most parents think this way, but he can’t help looking at Baekhyun thinking he is an adorably, beautiful child, probably the most beautiful baby he’s ever seen. Then again, he could just be biased.

           He wishes he could get in touch with Sooyun and has asked Hyunkyun to see about getting her parents contact information so he can at least speak to them about the situation. He doesn’t feel right keeping Baekhyun without at least talking to the baby’s family members to hear their thoughts on the situation or at least understand why Baekhyun ended up with him in the first place. Hyunkyun says he’ll do what he can to help and so is the company considering EXO-M is becoming a huge source of profit and interest for the company.

           By the time Sunday rolls around, they’ve had the baby for six days and they finally have half a day off so they can spend some quality time with the baby. Jongdae’s especially excited because he feels bad leaving Baekhyun at home all day with a sitter and then the only time he’s with the baby is when he puts him to bed at night or sits up with him when he can’t sleep. All in all, it’s not enough time for Jongdae and this week in only proof that he’ll never really have enough time with his son. It’ll always be like this and he’s worried about what it will do for Baekhyun. He’s also worried about what it’ll do to the group if this gets out and he thinks he’s done way too much thinking this past week but he guesses that’s what parenthood does to a person; it makes them worry and over think everything.

           Because they can’t take Baekhyun out of the dorm, the guys loaf around for the afternoon doing some much needed cleaning. As usual, Jongdae’s lying on the floor with Baekhyun sprawled out in front of him. He keeps trying to push himself up to crawl closer to Jongdae but he only manages to fall back after a bit of struggling. It’s cute seeing him put so much effort into it and Jongdae urges him to keep trying by holding his hand just out of Baekhyun’s reach.

           As always Yixing’s sitting close by enjoying the scene while helping out. It’s obvious Baekhyun’s just as attached to Yixing as he is to Jongdae; he just kind of gravitates to him when Jongdae’s not around. Baekhyun’s familiar with the other guys, but he seems to prefer these two the most, on one hand maybe it’s because he feels safe with them and on the other hand, maybe it’s because these two are the one’s that feed, clean, and take care of him the most. Baekhyun seems to like Lien a lot too, but she doesn’t stand a chance when either of these two guys are in the room because they’re all he sees. Even if he likes playing with Luhan, he still gets antsy when either Jongdae or Yixing aren’t close by.

           Tao’s warmed up to the baby a bit, while Minseok still keeps a safe distance and Wufan’s still upset that the baby starts crying around him; he just doesn’t understand it. Either way, little Baekhyun has become a large part of their lives. He somehow fits in, giving the guys a relief from their idol lives and a taste of reality right when they need it most. It’s been nothing but schedule after schedule, with some training and recording during the past year and a half, all topped off with crazy fans that just seem to keep getting crazier. They hardly have time to be normal anymore and with Baekhyun around, they get that if only for a little while.

           It’s amazing really, how much a week with a baby can change a person’s life, but it does. It makes you reevaluate everything, especially when the baby affects your career, but that’s currently only a minimal concern of theirs, something they’ll deal with when the time comes. For now, Tao thinks they have other things to worry about.

           “Here,” he says, dropping a large, gift wrapped box beside Jongdae.

           “What’s this?” Jongdae stares at the box with confusion.

           Tao rolls his eyes. “What does it look like? Just open it already.” He tries to hide his excitement by being overly impatient, but Jongdae can see through it.

           He sits up, putting his focus on the gift while Yixing pulls Baekhyun up into a sitting position so he can have a better view of what going on. As the paper comes off and Jongdae rips the tape from the top of the box, Tao practically bounces on his heels. Jongdae starts pulling various objects out of the box, packs of onesies and cute outfits. A mini pair of sneakers, some bibs, a coat, small hats and other such adorable accessories for a baby just keep flowing out of the box and for some reason Jongdae starts feeling emotional like an expecting mom opening gifts at he pre-birth baby shower. Standing, he gives Tao a tight hug.

           “You’re awesome. You know that right,” he says trying not to sound choked up.

           “I know,” Tao grins. “But it doesn’t hurt to hear it every now and then.”

           They both sit down, going through the gifts and showing them to Baekhyun like he has some opinion on the matter. “I bought some of them a little big so he can grow into them.”

           “These are beyond cute. They’re so tiny,” Yixing says taking the sneakers. He unties the laces, pulling the shoes wide before trying them on Baekhyun’s feet. There a little big, but they still fit and they look completely adorable on Baekhyun’s little feet. He stares at them, furrowing his brow as he kicks his feet trying to figure out what the foreign objects are and everyone laughs because it’s makes the image even more adorable than before.

           “When did you do this?” Jongdae asks while admiring the little blue jacket Tao picked out.

           He shrugs. “I had some free time and I thought he could use some more clothes other than the stuff Lien’s brought over. I like to shop and the Internet makes everything assessable.”

           “Thank you.” Jongdae leans over to give him another hug. “It means a lot to me.”

           “Someone has to make sure the little guy has some fashion sense. I just wish I could do the same for a certain someone we all know.” Just then, Wufan emerges from the bathroom wearing a pair of baggy pants with an awful puke green paisley design on them and an ugly oversized clashing, white and rust striped t-shirt. The sight of it physically hurts Tao, forcing him to look away in disgust. “I can’t. I just can’t,” he grumbles, closing his eyes while burying his face in his hands.

           “Here,” Yixing says handing Baekhyun over. “Put your mind at rest and give our little Baekhyun some of your fashion sense.”

           Tao doesn’t need told twice before he’s deciding which new outfit to dress Baekhyun up in. It helps erase that horrendous image he has of his boyfriend walking around in clothes he plans on tossing out later when Wufan’s not paying attention.

 

 

 

 

 

           On Monday Jongdae obtains Sooyun’s contact information, only calling after schedules are over and he has time to hold a decent conversation. When he finally does call, he reaches her parents and they’re relieved to hear that little Baekhyun is fine but they don’t ask many questions about him. They sound only slightly interested in Sooyun’s whereabouts, but Jongdae doesn’t have any answers for them. He tries to get more information from them regarding the situation and why Sooyun suddenly ran away, but they refuse to discuss it with him.

           By the end of the conversation, Jongdae feels put off because Sooyun’s parents don’t seem to care about any of it, which is peculiar for people whose child has disappeared and abandoned their grandchild. Their lack of compassion startles him and he begins to wonder is Sooyun wasn’t welcome there, if perhaps the circumstances of Baekhyun’s birth had anything to do with it. He tries not to dwell on the negative thoughts, but one conclusion he draws from speaking with them is that he definitely doesn’t want Baekhyun to end up with them for any reason.

 

 

 

 

 

           The test results come back in the middle of the second week and just as Jongdae predicted, Baekhyun is most definitely his. This news, however, doesn’t bring them any closer to a decision of what to do. It’s fine for Baekhyun to stay with them for now, but this situation can’t stay like this forever. Jongdae also has to think about what he’s spending and Baekhyun’s needs. The others reassure him that they’ll help as much as they can, but they know they can’t keep up this charade that everything’s fine when they’re harboring a baby in their dorm.

           Jongdae wonders what’s going to happen when they start traveling for shows and promotions. His time with Baekhyun is already minimal and it’ll become even smaller with their growing careers and he doesn’t get how successful businessmen find time to be fathers. He doesn’t know how to balance it all and the fact that it has to stay a secret makes the process even more complicated. He hasn’t even told his parents the news yet. A part of him is worried that they will be upset with him considering they already have strong opinions regarding his career choice and now he’s fathered a child out of wedlock and he can’t even find the mother.

           He feels like he’s always worried and stressed these days, but then he holds Baekhyun it all melts away until he’s smiling nonstop because who could look a that sweet angelic face without cracking a smile. The happiness doesn’t last forever though. Reality kicks its way back in making Jongdae just another stressed father trying to balance his career with his family and he doesn’t know how to make it work.

           “You don’t have to figure it out all at once,” Yixing whispers. They’re currently sitting on Jongdae’s bed, backs against the wall as Baekhyun sleeps on his tummy on the space of bed between them. “You’ve only just found out and you have a lot of people supporting you.”

           “I know. I know.” Jongdae lets out a sigh of frustration. “It’s so overwhelming and I can’t help thinking about it. It’s like my universe has shifted and everything revolves around him. Everything I think about is what’s best for him. I keep creating scenarios and thinking about whether or not I should do this or that and I’m afraid of making the wrong decision.”

           “It’s okay to make mistakes,” Yixing says wisely. “No one has all the answers. Life doesn’t work that way.” Reaching over the baby, he curls his fingers around Jongdae’s hand. “I think you should call your parents. You’ll be surprised at how much it helps.”

           “I don’t know what to say.” Jongdae clutches Yixing’s hand seeking strength and relief from his worries through the connection.

           “Just tell them the truth. Be honest with them and they’ll be honest with you. If they’re disappointed, it’s only because they love you.”

           Jongdae stares down into his lap, biting his lip while he pulls at the soft, cotton fabric of his sleeping pants. “I still don’t know how to face them.”

           “That’s the great thing about phones. You don’t have to see the person on the other end of the line.” He laughs quietly at his own little joke, but Jongdae really doesn’t find it funny. “I’ll help if you want. If you get stuck, I can help you explain it or I can sit quietly while holding your hand. Whatever I can do to help, I will. I just think, you should tell them soon.”

           Jongdae’s lips form a thin line as he presses them together nervously. “I guess I can call them tomorrow.”

           “Do you want me there when you call?”

           Jongdae nods without looking at Yixing. “I think I’ll need the support.”

           “Do you want me to ask the other guys to be there too?”

           “Oh, god no.” Jongdae’s voice rises above a whisper making the baby wiggle in his sleep. They remain still for a moment until they’re sure he’s not going to wake up. “I don’t want an audience.”

           “Okay,” Yixing grins, tugging at their connected hands. “Just come get me when you decide to make the call and I’ll be there. Whatever you need.”

           “Thanks.” He sighs feeling somewhat less burdened. For a moment he watches Yixing while Yixing watches Baekhyun. He doesn’t say anything, just taking in the view, wondering how he could be so lucky to have such a great friend. Glancing down, he sees their intertwined hands, but he doesn’t have the urge to pull away, finding he likes the feel of Yixing’s hand all warm and comforting. “Why are you always so nice to me?”

           “I thought it was obvious.” Yixing grins until his dimples cave in, until the beauty of it mesmerizes Jongdae. “I like you, Kim Jongdae.”

           He blinks, mouth floundering at the confession. “You do?”

           “Yeah.” Yixing does that silent laugh again, shaking his head in the process. “We’re friends right?”

           “Right.” Jongdae returns Yixing’s broad grin with one just as wide, but it pales in comparison to the beauty of Yixing’s. “Great friends.”

           With that, Yixing slides off the bed, careful to not jostle Baekhyun too much. He tugs playfully at Jongdae’s hand for a moment before letting go. “Get some rest. You’ll be up again soon enough.”

           “Don’t remind me.” Jongdae still hasn’t gotten used to his two early morning wake up calls.

           As Yixing exits the room, Jongdae can’t help noticing how his grin looks forced and much less natural than it was just moments ago. He shakes it off, repositioning Baekhyun on the bed so he can have a decent amount of room to sleep along side of him. He needs as much sleep as possible these days, finding it a precious commodity now that he has a baby to care for.

 

 

 

 

 

           The phone call to his parents goes without a hitch. Yixing’s there as promised, helping him when he gets stuck, but overall his parents seem excited. They want pictures and details. They ask all of the important, serious questions that Jongdae’s been contemplating over still unable to find the answers to. They don’t express any disappointment, but its there, behind the questions that ask if he’s ready to be a father, if he’s capable of taking care of a baby, if he knows what he doing. His parents try to stay supportive, promising to come visit soon, when their restaurant can handle a break and they have enough money to spare on plane tickets.

           Sometime at the beginning of the call, Jongdae grabs Yixing’s hand and during the whole conversation he ends up staring at their fingers while he absentmindedly runs his thumb across Yixing’s knuckles, occasionally pulling his fingers apart before squeezing them together. Yixing smiles glad that he can give Jongdae some moral support while he tries to work everything out. Even after the call is over, Jongdae continues playing with Yixing’s hand as he replays the conversation he had with his parents, telling Yixing the bits he couldn’t hear, letting him know how relieved he is that his parents plan to be supportive, laughing at himself for ever thinking they would shun him for having a child they never knew about. He’s comforted knowing that at least he has this burden off his chest.

           “Thanks for being here.” They’re sitting on Yixing’s bed this time because Baekhyun’s sleeping on Jongdae’s and they don’t want to risk waking him up during the call.

           “I’m happy I can help.” Yixing tilts his head against the wall staring over at Jongdae, who sighs and slides down onto the bed, slumping against Yixing’s side.

           “I finally feel like I can relax, just a little.” He yawns sliding even further down. “I feel so tired all of a sudden. Like everything hit me at once.”

           “I’m surprised you lasted this long. You’ve been pushing yourself too hard trying to do everything.”

           “I can’t help it. I just want to do what’s best for him, you know?” Jongdae’s eyes grow heavy as he lets out another long yawn. “I want Baekhyun to be happy.”

           “I know you do,” Yixing pulls his hand out of Jongdae’s to slide his fingers through the other’s hair. “You’re a good dad, but you don’t have to do everything by yourself.”

           “I can’t help it,” Jongdae’s repeats sleepily.

           Yixing combs his fingers through Jongdae’s locks a few times, thumb tracing the curve of his ear occasionally. “You can sleep here tonight if you want. You could use a full night of sleep and I don’t mind staying in your room to wake up with Baekhyun.”

           “That sounds nice,” Jongdae murmurs as his eyes slip closed.

           Yixing keeps his spot at Jongdae’s side, letting the other drift into a much-needed sleep. When he thinks Jongdae’s fully unconscious, Yixing climbs off the bed, maneuvering him into a more comfortable position before covering him up and leaning in to give him a goodnight kiss on the forehead then back to marvel at his calm expression.

           Quietly slipping out of the room, Yixing moves to the kitchen to grab a drink. As he closes the door, he’s met with Luhan’s face, which is much too close and bearing a very creepy grin that makes Yixing jump back nearly spilling his class of orange juice.

           “So,” he elongates the word. “How’s it going?”

           “Good. Jongdae’s parents took the news well. He’s sleeping now.”

           Luhan shakes his head, resting sideways against the refrigerator. “I’m asking you how you’re doing.”

           “I’m fine. Same as always.”

           “Right,” he draws the word out again. “So, when are you going to tell him?”

           “Tell who what?”

           “Don’t play dumb Yixing. You know what I’m referring to.”

           Yixing crosses the room taking a sip of his juice before setting it on the table and pulling out a chair to sit down. “How’d you know?”

           “Please,” Luhan’s turns until his back is flush against the door of the refrigerator. “You are so obvious it’s painful to watch. Jongdae’s an idiot if he hasn’t noticed yet.”

           “I can’t tell him.” Yixing rests his arms on the table, cupping his glass between his hands. “He has too much going on right now and I don’t need to complicate things more.”

           Luhan groans, shuffling forward and dropping into the seat opposite Yixing. “Okay, other than that why won’t you tell him? You never know. He could like you back.”

           “If you haven’t noticed, he has a baby. That clearly shows he likes girls and he’s talked about wanting a family and settling down. I can’t give him that.” Taking a deep breath, he looks away biting back the tears swelling in his eyes.

           Luhan cups Yixing’s hands that are still clutching his glass of juice. “If you haven’t noticed, you’re already giving him that. Baekhyun loves you just as much as he loves his father. The three of you act like a family when you’re together. We’ve all seen it. You three are perfect together.” Luhan pulls Yixing’s hands away from the glass so he can get a better hold on them. “Like you said, Jongdae’s a little preoccupied now. He doesn’t notice how you feel, so you need to take the initiative and tell him. He really might surprise you.”

           “I don’t want to complicate things anymore than they already are. I don’t want it to be awkward between us if he doesn’t like me back.” He blinks rapidly, still trying not to cry. “Please don’t say anything, okay?”

           Luhan nods unwillingly. “I won’t, but I wish you would give yourself a chance with this.”

           “I’ll think about it.” Yixing pulls away from Luhan, downing the rest of his juice before rinsing the cup and placing it in the sink. “I should probably get too sleep. I’ll be up again soon enough.”

           Luhan follows Yixing with his eyes, feeling troubled by his friend’s predicament. He wishes there was something he could do to help because it’s not fair to Yixing to have to secretly pine over Jongdae without someone to confide in.

 

 

 

 

 

           Two months go by and the guys have established schedules for who does what in taking care of the baby. Baekhyun’s warmed up to all of them, even Wufan. This is most likely because Wufan gives him lots of stuffed animals and toys to play with. Baekhyun likes his alpaca plushie the most. Tao gets a little jealous when Wufan pays more attention to the baby than him, but he knows how to distract Wufan when he really wants to, even if the other guys would rather not be around to witness it.

           Minseok is also starting to come around. On one particular night, he’s left with the job of bathing Baekhyun because Yixing and Luhan are cooking, while Jongdae, Wufan, and Tao are guests on a local radio show.

           “I don’t see why I can’t help cook, while one of you washes him?” Minseok asks deliberately stepping away from the spot Baekhyun is occupying on the kitchen floor.

           “Because,” Luhan says. “You have to start helping out with him. You need to get used to him already. Besides, we’re cooking a traditional Chinese dinner and you don’t know any of the recipes.”

           “Just tell me what to do and I’ll help you,” Minseok practically whines.

           “Wash the baby. That’s what you can do to help.”

           “But…”

           “Please, Minseok.” Yixing rinses off a few green peppers. “We wouldn’t ask if we thought you couldn’t do it. Baekhyun’s really good at bath time. He likes the water.”

           “I really don’t think I should.”

           Luhan crosses the room picking up Baekhyun, pushing him into Minseok’s arms. “It’s not safe for him to be in the kitchen right now.” He ushers Minseok down the small hallway and into the bathroom. “His little tub is over there. He has a few bath toys. Try not to get soap in his eyes and don’t let the water get too hot. You’ve seen us wash him before; it’s not that difficult.”

           “But…”

           “Just do it,” Luhan says with a no-nonsense snap of his head before he exits the room.

           Minseok glances to the small creature in his arms, finding that he’s being stared at with quizzical eyes. “Do you think I can do this?”

           Baekhyun giggles as his chubby little hand reaches up to pat Minseok’s cheek.

           “Okay, okay.” Minseok lays out a towel to place Baekhyun on so he’s not sitting directly on the cold tile floor. Their bathroom doesn’t have a tub, so one of the guys purchased a small basin for the baby. It’s like a miniature pool, just the right size for Baekhyun. He begins to fill it with water from the spout of the moveable showerhead that the rest of them use. 

           Once there’s enough water in the basin, Minseok undresses Baekhyun placing him in the water. Everything thing is going smoothly. While Minseok grabs the baby soap and a soft washcloth, Baekhyun amuses himself with the small, yellow rubber turtle that Wufan bought for him. He drops it in the water, giggling as the turtle bobs in circles. He splashes the water playfully, getting Minseok wet in the process. He groans because he really didn’t want to have to change into a new set of pajamas.

           As Minseok lathers the washcloth, Baekhyun continues playing and everyone’s happy. It isn’t until after the bath, when Minseok has to pull Baekhyun out of the water that things go wrong. The baby kicks at the water drenching Minseok’s front. It only gets worse when Minseok wraps Baekhyun in a towel to dry him off that the baby get’s fussy. He really doesn’t like being cold. There just so happens to be a draft in the bathroom and Minseok is going way to slow with his overly cautious movements that gives Baekhyun enough time to start shivering which leads to crying which causes Minseok to panic.

           He wraps the baby up in the towel he was using to dry him off, shushing him as he leaves the bathroom and goes to the kitchen. “What do I do?”

           Yixing replaces the lid on the pot he was checking and comes forward holding his hands out. “You’re dripping water everywhere. You could have slipped,” he scolds Minseok.

           “Just make him stop.” Minseok really, really doesn’t like the sound of babies crying.

           “He’s probably just cold. I’ll get him dressed since the foods almost done.” He cuddles Baekhyun in his arms, rubbing at the towel as if to warm him. The baby’s bottom lip is quivering from the chill along with his whining. “You don’t like it when you’re cold, do you? C’mon let’s get you some warm clothes and warm bottle. How’s that sound?” he says in his best baby voice as he disappears into Jongdae’s room, which is where most of the baby’s things are kept, a part from the various toys strewn across the apartment.

           “Did you get any of the water on the baby?” Luhan teases.

           “Shut up,” Minseok snaps moving to his room to change. “You’re torturing me on purpose.”

           “I can’t help it,” Luhan yells after him. Trying to stifle a laugh, he adds, “It’s so fun to watch you panic.”

           “I hate you!” Minseok yells back.

 

 

 

 

 

           There have only been a few nights in all the time that the baby’s been at the dorm, that he’s had trouble sleeping and kept the other guys up with his crying. Usually he’s just being defiant and cranky, but the guys can tell something’s wrong on this particular night two and a half months into their new living arrangements with the baby. Lien had mentioned that Baekhyun didn’t eat as much as usual during the day, then at night he wakes up before his usual time, crying nonstop until his face is crimson with his eyes practically swollen shut. He’s burning up with a fever and Jongdae’s starting to panic. Everyone else is frustrated too because none of them know how to help the little guy. They have baby medicine, but they aren’t sure if they should give it to him or find a doctor for certified diagnosis.

           About an hour into the baby’s episode they called Hyunkyun to see what he thinks, even speaking with Lien who said it’s probably best to take him to a doctor. She suggested a cool rag and the medicine, but their best solution would be going to a hospital.

           When Hyunkyun shows up at the dorm around three, Jongdae’s beyond ready to go.

           “This is just asking for a disaster if we show up at the ER with a baby. What if someone sees you,” Hyunkyun says to Jongdae.

           “What else am I supposed to do?” Jongdae’s clutching Baekhyun like his life depends on it. “He’s suffering. He needs help.”

           “Take us to the hospital,” Yixing interrupts. He already has the diaper bag hanging from his shoulder, holding a jacket for Baekhyun. “Jongdae’s the father, so he should be there and I’m going with him.” He places his hand on Jongdae’s arm comfortingly. “It’ll be a lot faster and easier if you drive us.”

           “But what about being exposed? What about the fans?” Hyunkyun voices what they’re all thinking, but at this point it doesn’t matter. They are all attached to Baekhyun and right now they would rather see Baekhyun well and at peace even if it means someone finds out about him.

           “We’ll figure it out later,” Wufan says, from his spot behind Tao. He’s hugging the younger close as if trying to find his own source of comfort.

           “Just hurry up and get Baekhyun some help. Don’t worry about the consequences.” Luhan steps forward, ready to give their manager a push towards the door if he doesn’t start moving soon.

           “Do you have his information?” Hyunkyun asks, looking towards Jongdae.

           “Yeah,” Yixing answers patting his bag. “I have everything we need.”

           “Okay. I’ve got the insurance card. It’s a good thing the boss was able to put him on the company policy.” Hyunkyun gestures to the door. “Let’s get going and at least put hats on or something. I’d rather you not be completely exposed in public if we’re going to do this.”

           The two do as their asked, following Hyunkyun out of the dorm and down to the companies van. They pass a couple of fans hanging around outside. Baekhyun’s crying catches their attention, but they don’t seem to recognize the guys, which they’re grateful for because they can’t handle a mob right now.

           The drive to the hospital is torturous and the wait in the emergency room feels like it goes on forever. Hyunkyun’s sure a few people have snapped pictures of them, but the boys are too busy trying to calm Baekhyun to notice. They keep trying to give him his favorite alpaca plushie, but the baby’s too grumpy to take it. The poor little thing is so tired and sick he doesn’t know what to do. One moment he’s clinging to Jongdae and the next he’s seeking Yixing, trying to figure out who will make him all better.

           Hyunkyun sits by, thinking it’s too late for him to do damage control this time, so he waits impatiently for Baekhyun’s name to be called so they can go back to a room. Once the name is called, the nurse tries to tell them that only the father can go back with Baekyun, but something in Jongdae’s eyes and the way he clutches Yixing’s arm like it’s keeping him on his feet tugs at her heart and she overlooks the rules.

           Jongdae really doesn’t think he can handle this alone. Even when they’re in the examination room with doctor, he looks to Yixing for help.

           “What seems to be the problem?” The doctor asks. His nametag reads Feng.

           “He woke up with a fever and he’s been crying almost continuously for the last few hours,” Yixing explains. “The babysitter said he didn’t eat like he usually does and he’s been off his routine today.”

           “Does he usually keep to his routine?”

           Yixing nods. “He’s very regular with his meals and using the bathroom. We try to keep him on schedule with his sleeping as well.”

           “Okay.” Dr. Feng takes in the information pulling on his stethoscope. “I’ll look him over and see what I can find.”

           They watch silently as the doctor checks the baby’s vitals, poking and prodding here and there. Baekhyun’s settled a bit, but he’s still sobbing and he doesn’t like sitting on the bed. He wants to be held and he keeps reaching for Jongdae, who keeps telling him it’s okay, that it’ll be over soon. After jotting some notes and looking at Baekhyun’s charts, the doctor says, “I think he just has a cold. He’s probably a little extra cranky because his teeth are still coming in. Other than that, I can’t see anything major to worry about. He’s a little dehydrated but with some juice, a little medicine, and a decent sleep he should start feeling better soon.” He looks to Jongdae. “He must be your first child.”

           “Yeah,” Jongdae says, finally picking Baekhyun up. “Everything’s still new to me.”

           Dr. Feng smiles, patting Baekhyun on the back. “It’s okay. You did the right thing by coming in. I’ll have the nurse come in to give him something while I write up a prescription. Does he have a regular pediatrician that he sees?”

           “Not yet. I haven’t really looked into it.”

           “Okay, may I recommend someone?”

           “Sure.” Jongdae’s glad to receive any assistance.

           “I’ll write down a colleagues contact information. You should probably schedule an appointment to get Baekhyun in for a check up since he’s about to hit the one year mark. It’s really just a formality to make sure he’s progressing properly, you know, with his weight and motor skills and all.”

           Jongdae nods, shifting the baby in his arms. He’s still sweltering hot and Jongdae really wants that nurse to hurry up and give him something to make the baby feel more comfortable, possibly even put him to sleep.

           “I’ll be right back, then.” Dr. Feng claps Jongdae on the shoulder, smiling at the others as he steps through the curtain sectioning them off from the other patients in the large examination room.

           Since Hyunkyun’s heard the verdict he doesn’t feel it’s necessary for him to stay in the room with the guys. He’s never really liked hospitals much. “I’m going to get something to drink. Do you want anything?”

           “Whatever’s fine,” Yixing answers while Jongdae ignores them, all of his focus on Baekhyun. “Get him something too,” Yixing adds as their manager disappears through the curtain. He turns back to the father and child duo. “You’re tired. You should sit down.”

           Without saying anything, Jongdae does as he’s told, jostling Baekhyun a bit as he hikes himself onto the thin hospital bed. Baekhyun clings around his neck, tiny fingers pulling at the collar of his shirt. He whines every now and then but he’s much calmer now than when they first got here.

           “Are you okay?” Yixing asks, touching the arm that Jongdae has wrapped around Baekhyun’s torso.

           He shakes his head, brows furrowing as he presses his mouth against Baekhyun head in a light kiss. “I have no idea what I’m doing. I can’t handle this. I didn’t know what to do and I panicked. If you weren’t there, I would still be panicking. How am I supposed to take care of him if I freak out about a cold? I really can’t handle this. I’m so overwhelmed and scared and how am I supposed to juggle being an idol with being a father. I actually contemplated not bringing him here because I was afraid my fans would see. How can I do what’s best for him if I’m so concerned about myself? How am I supposed to manage every…”

           Yixing cuts him off by covering Jongdae’s mouth with his palm. He steps closer, leaning down until he’s eye to eye with the other. “Every parent worries. People struggle all the time trying to balance their families with their careers. No one’s perfect.” He slides his hand down running his fingers across Jongdae’s lips, leaning even closer until their lips are pressed together in a chaste kiss. Pulling back he whispers, “How many times do I have to tell you that you’re a great dad before you believe it?”

           A flush creeps up Jongdae cheeks as he in a shocked breath, staring unblinkingly at Yixing as he slides his fingers across Jongdae’s cheeks before dropping his hand and stepping back to give the other some space. He waits for a reaction but Jongdae’s too emotionally disheveled to comprehend exactly what’s happening. They don’t have time to dwell on it because the nurse comes in and Yixing ends up assisting her with giving Baekhyun the spoonful of syrupy medicine while the father sits stunned.

           The baby almost spits it up because the cherry taste makes him gag. Yixing tries to soothe him with a bottle of watered down apple juice, which Baekhyun gladly accepts. Yixing’s happy that he’s finally drinking something because he really needs to rehydrate himself. They wait around for the doctor to give them their prescription and the pediatrician’s contact information before heading back to the dorm. No one says much of anything because they’re all tired and Baekhyun’s finally dozing off after his long, exhausting night.

           When they arrive home, Jongdae puts Baekhyun to bed only taking enough time to change his own clothes before joining him. Yixing’s the one who informs the others of what the doctor said and they all breathe a sigh of relief to know that nothing’s seriously wrong with Baekhyun. They had all stayed up anxiously waiting for the news and now that they’ve heard it, their fatigue becomes more prominent and their bed’s are calling a little louder. Hyunkyun tells them that he’s cancelled their morning schedules, that they’ll have to see how tomorrow goes. They’re not sure if anyone’s posted anything or if a scandal is going to erupt, but either way, they’re all too tired to think about making a public appearance in the morning or sitting in the studio to work on recording new songs.

           “Did something happen?” Luhan asks once he and Yixing are in their shared bedroom. “Jongdae seemed a little off even if he is worried about the baby.”

           Yixing keeps his back facing Luhan as he replies, “I kissed him.”

           “You what?” Luhan practically bounds across the room to see the other’s face. “You kissed?”

           Yixing gnaws at his lip giving a small nod.

           “Oh my god.” He embraces Yixing, crossing his arms around his neck practically choking him. He steps back. “What happened? How’d he react?”

           “Well…” Yixing sits back onto his bed and Luhan follows, sitting at this side. “He was complaining and bashing himself about being a bad father like he always does and I couldn’t take it anymore so I kissed him. It was all kind of sudden and he was shocked. He didn’t react, didn’t say anything, but then again, he didn’t really have time to think about it.”

           “Oh he’s definitely thinking about it,” Luhan grins. “No wonder he was so dazed when he came back.”

           “I’m so embarrassed.” Yixing covers his face, falling back on the bed.

           Luhan tugs at his arm. “Please, you never get embarrassed.”

           “I just like him so much and I don’t know what to do,” he says, voice muffled by his hands.

           “Talk to him.” Luhan stands, moving back to his side of the room. “Find some time to talk about it and get a clear answer from him. Don’t let it linger for too long.”

           Yixing groans rolling over on his stomach, burying his face in his comforter.

           Luhan kicks one of his friend’s dangling legs. “I mean it. Talk to him.”

           Yixing grinds his face even deeper into the bed thinking maybe he could suffocate himself so he won’t have to face Jongdae the next day.

 

 

 

 

 

           They wake up late the next morning. Baekhyun didn’t wake at all during their sleep, which everyone’s grateful for. He seems to be doing much better, as does his troubled father Jongdae. They gather in the living room for a meeting with their manager, most of them still looking exhausted, but they all know they have to face what’s coming together.

           A total of three pictures were uploaded on various fansites during the early morning hours. There’s one of the boys leaving the dorm with the baby and there’s another two of them sitting in the emergency room. Speculations and rumors have exploded on all of the tabloids and gossip sites. The group knows they’re going to have to make an official statement, maybe even have a press conference.

           “What do we tell everyone?” Minseok puts the question out there because everyone’s thinking it but no one’s saying anything. They’ve been sitting in quiet contemplation much too long.

           “The truth.” Jongdae answers. They’re basically sitting in a circle, so everyone can face each other properly and Baekhyun’s in the middle lying on a small blanket drinking his morning bottle of formula contentedly. “We can’t avoid it anymore and if we lie, it’ll blow up in our faces. We have to face our fans honestly.”

           There’s a murmur of agreement. “I’m going to cancel the rest of the events for today and call for a meeting tomorrow. Once we talk this through, I’ll see what the CEO has to say.” Hyunkyun pulls out his phone and planner, preparing to make the necessary calls. “I thinks it’s best if no one makes any appearances today.”

           “Why?” Luhan asks, sounding a bit obnoxious when he’s simply curious. “We shouldn’t have to hide from our fans. The paparazzi have always been around, so nothing’s really different. What? So they’re going to be more belligerent than usual, fine. But I don’t think it’s a good idea for us to just hide away.”

           “I kind of agree with him.” Wufan props his elbows on his crossed legs. “I think we should keep our appointments, to show that we are serious about our work. Jongdae and Yixing can stay home with Baekhyun while the rest of us represent EXO-M.”

           Luhan shakes his head in disagreement. “I think we should appear as a whole group. If the two people at the heart of the scandal are missing it will cause even more rumors to pop up. If anyone asks about the scandal, we’ll say no comment or tell them we’ll explain everything at a later time,” Luhan adds.

           “I think it’s a good idea,” Tao says while the others nod in agreement.

           “Even if I want to stay home, I think it’s best for us to show up as a full group. People are going to question my dedication when they find out about Baekhyun and I don’t want anyone to think I’m not serious about my position in EXO-M.” Jongdae looks to everyone for understanding, gladly finding it. “My dream is to become a singer. Now I just have to figure out how to be a father at the same time.”

           “Are you guys sure about this?” Their manager frowns, sighing as he scratches his head in frustration. “I just think it’ll be safer to keep you away from everyone.”

           “And if we stay inside, things are only going to blow up more out there.” Luhan stands, propping his hands on his hips. “I’ve seen what other idols go through when they’re met with scandals. Many have taken different approaches, but hiding away from the world never solved anything.” He looks to his left, turning to face Jongdae. “Are you ashamed of Baekhyun? Are you ashamed of having him?”

           “No, of course not.” Jongdae glances over at his son then back up at his group mate.

           “Then what problem do we have?” Luhan asks the group as a whole. “We can only explain the situation truthfully and ask for the public to understand. The rest is out of our hands. If the fans see that we’re being completely honest, we may be able to gain their trust for the future. If we lose fans, then it’s their choice whether to stay or go. Either way, we have no control over their decisions, but we do control over ours and how we decide to handle this and I think going about our regular schedule is the best way to do so. Now, I’m going to get dressed so we can make it to our next schedule. I suggest those of you who are joining me do the same.” With an air of finality, he stalks out of the room.

           No one can argue with his reasoning, not even Hyunkyun, who decides to call Lien to tell her they actually do need her services for today. The others move to get dressed with Jongdae bringing the baby back to his room so he doesn’t get fussy being left alone. Yixing follows Jongdae because they haven’t had time to talk and he feels like Jongdae’s avoiding him. Wufan seems to the notice atmosphere, deciding to step out of the room and give them a moment alone.

           “Can we talk?” Yixing asks, standing at the end of Jongdae’s bed as the other sets Baekhyun down, helping the baby get a grip on his bottle so that he can continue drinking.

           Jongdae hums, not really giving Yixing much attention.

           “About what happened at the hospital…” Yixing begins.

           “Can we talk later?” Jongdae interrupts. “We don’t really have time right now and I don’t know what to tell you. I just…can we talk later?”

           “Sure, sure.” Yixing steps back towards the door. “I understand. Later, then.” The calm in his voice sounds forced. He leaves the room before Jongdae can say anything else because he doesn’t think he has the confidence to handle any more rejections at the moment. He knew it would be hard facing Jongdae after silently dealing with his emotions for so long, but this hurts more than he prepared himself to withstand. When he gets back to his room, Luhan hugs him without saying a word, assuming the worst. Yixing decides to explain what happened in detail later, but for now he silently accept Luhan’s affection.

 

 

 

 

 

           This day is probably one of the worst they’ve had in terms of dealing with fans and the paparazzi. Everyone’s curious, posing prying questions any chance they can, but EXO-M are pros at avoiding them. They’re put together appearances help in the process of easing the public’s minds in regards to the now named baby-scandal. Jongdae and Yixing smile easily as they’re bombarded with inquiries about why they were in the ER with a baby, always replying with “everything will be revealed shortly.”

           When they finally find refuge in their dorm, everyone’s too tired to fight over the shower or argue about what’s for dinner. None of it really matters because they all just want to sleep, knowing that tomorrow is going to be just as tiring, maybe even more so because they’re going to be exposing the truth and explaining all of this will take some time. They don’t even have all of the answers themselves. All they can tell the public is that the baby just kind of appeared; they don’t know the why’s or how’s and the issue with this is that the public will want to know everything because the tabloids are going to scrutinize every little detail until they get to the bottom of the situation.

           By some strange line of events, Hyunkyun receives a call from someone associated with the company who was asked to look into Baekhyun’s family background. Apparently they’ve finally received news on the whereabouts of Baekhyun’s mother. After Hyunkyun’s call ends, he asks Jongdae for a moment alone. Yixing’s charged with taking care of Baekhyun during that time.

           After some digging, the investigator finally tracked her down and found that Byun Sooyun was discovered unconscious in public about a week ago and admitted into a hospital in Shanghai. She had been staying with a friend before then, claiming that she was simply revisiting some exchange friends in China. She had been battling an ongoing illness that started getting worse and had decided to return home to Korea to see her usual physician. She never made it to the airport though. She died after spending two days battling in and out of consciousness in the hospital. They wouldn’t release the details of her death, but the investigator said her parents were contacted and they never spoke with their daughter or came to give her a proper funeral. It seems they had disowned her after the whole baby incident, making her an abandoned child as well.

           Jongdae takes the news hard because even though he had gotten over the silent break up with Sooyun a long time ago, a part of him still cares for her. She is, after all, the mother of his child and she shouldn’t have had to spend the last days of her life alone and forgotten in a hospital room. As much as sadness envelops him, so does anger at the way her parents so heartlessly abandoned her. He understands now, why Sooyun chose to leave Baekhyun in his care. She wasn’t abandoning him, not really. She had mentioned in her letter that she wouldn’t be able to take care of Baekhyun for much longer, but she knew he would get the love he required and deserved, the love she wouldn’t be capable of fulfilling from Jongdae. She probably wanted to make sure Baekhyun was left in a home that would welcome him with open arms and open hearts, which is exactly what Jongdae and his friends did.

 

 

 

 

 

           Somehow, Yixing ends up in Jongdae’s bed with Baekhyun sleeping on his chest while the other is curled up against his side.

           “I don’t know what I was expecting, but I never even imagined she would be gone when we found her.” Jongdae sniffles as his eyes finally begin to stop producing tears. “I wish I could have talked to her, let her explain things, you know?”

           “I’m sorry.” Yixing doesn’t know what else to say to console Jongdae. They’ve been lying together for some time now, with Jongdae crying while Yixing consoles him by rubbing his back and combing his fingers through his hair.

           “Hey, Yixing. I’m sorry about earlier.” Jongdae props himself up on his elbow to get a better view of Yixing face. “I didn’t mean to blow you off like that.”

           Yixing shakes his head, avoiding the other’s eyes by looking at Baekhyun still peacefully asleep even though Yixing’s heartbeat is quickening to an alarming pace. “It’s fine. You have a lot of things going on right now. I shouldn’t be adding to it.”

           “Can we talk about it now? I’d like to clear the air between us.” Jongdae sits up fully, tucking a leg beneath him while allowing the other to dangle off the side of the bed as he face Yixing.

           “Sure,” he says, not sounding very sure at all, still keeping his eyes on the baby.

           Jongdae’s silently thankful that Yixing’s not looking at him because he’s already nervous enough as it is. “I still don’t really know what to tell you,” Jongdae starts, tracing the lines on his checkered pajama pants. “I don’t know how I feel about you. I’ve never really thought about it before. The kiss kind of caught me off guard, but I didn’t hate it.” He gnaws on the insides of his cheeks, trying to find the best way to explain himself as Yixing uses Jongdae’s silence as an opportunity to glance over at him.

           “Sometimes,” he begins, pausing to think. “Sometimes, I feel something when you smile at me or laugh or say something silly. I like when you hold my hand, probably more than someone’s who’s just a friend should. I’m happy when you’re around and I find myself looking for you when you’re not. Even so, I’m not sure what my feelings are for you. I don’t want to give you an answer only to disappoint you later. I’m all messed up right now, so I was hoping you could give me time to clear my head and think about it.” He waits for Yixing to meet his gaze again. “Is that okay?” he asks timidly.

           Yixing smiles, not enough for his dimples to cave in, but Jongdae can tell it’s a genuine smile by the look in Yixing’s eyes. “Yeah. I’m glad you want to think about it seriously. I can wait until you’re ready.”

           Jongdae grins, taking Yixing’s hand and shaking it playfully. “Until then, do you mind if we keep things the way they are. I don’t want us to be awkward around each other. I hated not being able to talk to you today.”

           “I think I can handle that,” Yixing laughs, realizing too late that he’s jostling Baekhyun in the process. The baby wakes, wondering why his bed is moving so much as he peers up at the adults, silently conveying that it’s bedtime and they’re obviously disturbing him.

 

 

 

 

 

           The press conference that exposes the identity of the baby and how he came to be in EXO-M’s possession turns into a major affair. It’s probably the biggest scandal of the year for any celebrity figure and appears in headline everywhere in both print and television. The backlash isn’t a bad as everyone imagined it could be because most people feel sympathetic towards Jongdae’s situation. The group loses a generous amount of members from their fan club, but gains a few as the image of Jongdae being a single father, desperately trying to care for his son tugs at the hearts of the public. The fact that the child was born out of wedlock gets swept under the rug, only discussed by those prudish enough to point it out. Baekhyun remains a hot topic, putting EXO-M at the top of search engines for months, even creating a spike in the group’s album sales as their fan base broadens with the new edition to their family. All in all, things are working out for them, even if they have a ways to go before things settle down.

 

 

 

 

 

           Just as Jongdae promised, he thinks about his feelings, trying to sort through his emotions in the aftermath of the scandal. He slowly beginning to figure out Baekhyun and understand his needs. He also begins to clear his mind, slowly spending more quality time with Yixing until he knows for sure how he feels for the other. He doesn’t want outside variables to affect his decision. He doesn’t want Yixing to think he’s with him out of pity or because he’s so good with Baekhyun. Jongdae wants to be absolutely sure that he likes Yixing for Yixing and that Yixing knows this as well, so he thinks about his feelings a lot before making a decision.

 

 

 

 

 

           Jongdae officially asks Yixing to be his boyfriend on Baekhyun’s first birthday.

           Yixing grins until his dimples cave in, happily replying, “I’d love that."

 

 


Well...there it is...my first ChenLay. If you made it this far, good job! I hope you enjoyed it.

It might feel a bit rushed in some places because I didn't want to dwell on certain things.

Anyways, thanks for subscribing, reading, commenting and all that. It really means a lot to me. :D

<3 Jae