39-- List

Who Are You?

“Hey Jongin stop it!”

Whoosh!

Another cushion hits me full in the face and I scream with laughter. I gather my strength and push a cushion against his smiling face, knocking him off the bed.

“Yah that’s cheating, are you trying to kill me?” He mumbles from the floor. I lean over the bed and poke my head over. With snake like reflexes, Jongin reaches out a hand and pulls me on to the floor on top of him.

“Ahhh no no stooooop!” I scream as he tickles me, the laughter steals my strength so I can’t even push him away. “Stooooop!”

All of a sudden the tickling dies away and I open my eyes, still weakly laughing to see Jongin biting his lip and smiling softly. He leans down and my hands find their place in his hair, pulling him closer until….

I wake up smiling, the winter sun streaming through my curtains. The dream I had about Kai leaves my thoughts slowly like the ocean from the sand. Saja is curled up beside my stomach like a large cotton ball. I do a large yawn and stretch my arms wide over my head.

I rub my hands down my face and then stop. Frowning, I a finger down my cheek. My skin feels weird and strangely sticky.

Like dried tears.

And then I remember.

The events of the previous night come flooding back to me. Like a tsunami it crashes over my happy dream with Kai and drowns my mood into despair.

The arguments, the smashed up apartment, the flashbacks. No more me and Kai. No more.

The thought revolves around my head the whole time I get ready for college. Its the last day of term and I'm half wondering whether to just spend it in bed. But I can't. Tomorrow the boys from China will be arriving in the evening and there's still so much to sort out. I need to check out the accommodation, see if Su Jin managed to sort out the transport, figure out how I'm going to reveal the surprise to the boys.

Distractions, always available when I need them.

Just as I'm leaving my apartment my phone bursts in to life.

"Hey Kris."

"Ara you have to tell Kai the truth."

I sigh.

"Suho told me about the argument," Kris continues, "About how Kai thinks you're cheating on him. It's because of us isn't it."

Another sigh.

"The hotel reservations, they were for us weren't they."

"No actually I really was planning to cheat on Kai-"

"Ara be serious," Kris says.

"I'm not going to tell him Kris," I sigh, " I'm not going to ruin the surprise for the rest of the boys because Kai can't seem to trust me. You know it's a good thing this happened, opened my eyes to a few things."

To my horror my voice starts to wobble and tears gather in my eyes.

"Ara," Kris' voice softens, "You don't deserve to have horrible accusations thrown at you when in reality you're doing something amazing."

"It'll be fine," My voice is shaky, "Tomorrow when you guys arrive everyone will realise it was a misunderstanding and me and Kai will be fine."

"Do you honestly believe that?" Kris says quietly.

My breath exhales in a shaky sob and I close my eyes and focus hard on not crying.

"Your flight is at 2 tomorrow right?"

Kris sighs at my rapid subject change but goes along with it.

"Yeah, just finished packing. We're all gonna spend the night with our families and then meet up tomorrow to go to the airport."

"Me and Sujin will be there to meet you guys at the airport.  Did you want to go to the hotel to put your bags down before meeting Suho and the rest?"

"It's completely up to you; the journey isn't that long anyway. But I guess it would be nice to freshen up at the hotel."

The hotel that I haven't even reserved.

"We can always decide later on. Listen I have to go now, got some things to sort out. I'll speak to you again tomorrow morning."

"Okay. And I know it's hard but please don't stress yourself out worrying about Kai," Kris says, "I'll sort him out tomorrow, trust me."

 

"Ara!"

As soon as I walk in to college the first person I see is Yunho.

"Oh hey Yunho." Instinctively there's a lash of dislike in my stomach at the misunderstandings his email caused.

"Did you get my email?" He asks, with a bright helpful smile.

"Yeah I got it, didn't manage to check out the link as I had to sort some things out last night."

"Are you okay?" Yunho peers closer at my face, "You look worn out."

"Ah it's just cause it's the end of term, just need to catch up on sleep," I attempt a smile but I'm sure it looks pained.

"Well make sure you rest well this holiday. Listen I have the number of the hotel. Just ring them up and tell them you know Yunho, they'll give you a discount."

"Thanks Yunho I really appreciate it," I say after copying the number in to my phone.

"That's okay, hope everything works out for you." He says, patting my shoulder and walking down the corridor.

I continue walking down the corridor but before I've managed to even take four steps, there's a shout of "Ara!"

I'm popular today I think with raised eyebrow, before turning around. It's Sujin.

"Ara, are you okay?" She peers closely at my face, "Sehun told me what happened, why didn't you call me?"

"To be honest I don't really want to talk about it, I'll just end up crying and I have too much to do today."

"Okay," Sujin sighs, "I understand. But whenever you need to talk just call me okay? You can count on me."

Even Sujin's kind words have my eyes wanting to shed tears. All I do is smile and nod.

"So about the transport," she continues, "I've sorted it out."

"Really?" I give a genuine sigh of relief; at least I can cross one thing off my list. "How?"

"Oh I used to go to this dance class and became close friends with the dance teacher. She has a minibus that she used to take us to shows and stuff, I thought it would be perfect."

"It does sound perfect, how many people can it seat?"

"Ten not including the driver."

"Great that’s more than enough. Will you be coming along by the way?" I ask hopefully.

"Of course! I'm not going to leave you to meet ten strangers on your own." Sujin rolls her eyes. "And I'm sure they're gonna be hot."

"Sujin you have Sehun!" I flick her arm.

"Ow! I'm just going to check out the talent that's all." Sujin pouts, rubbing her arm.

"Yeah yeah what-" I begin, but the words trail off when I see Kai turn the corridor.

He's dressed in a simple white shirt and black jeans, hair messy like he'd just got of bed. There were cuts on his face that I hadn't notice last night and one of his hands had a bandage on it. As I watch him walking with his eyes lowered, he gives a big sigh.

"What are you staring at?" Sujin says, turning around. "Oh."

At the sound of her voice Kai looks up and our eyes lock.

He stops walking and just stares at me, his eyebrows furrowed slightly and his eyes full of so much pain and sorrow. All I can do is stare back.  I don't know how long we stand there, I'm sure neither of us know what to do, how to act. It feels like the corridor has dissolved around us and we are suspended in time, held together with this connection between eyes.

And then all of a sudden Kai looks away, the connection is broken and the noise of my surroundings comes flooding back. He continues walking down the corridor with his head lowered. I open my mouth as he approaches, wondering what I should even say, but it doesn't even matter as he just walks straight past me.

Sujin gasps. I feel like someone has drenched me in cold water, there's a lump in my throat and my fingers are tingling. I give a deep breath and push my hair back, come on Ara you are in control of your emotions, no more crying.

"Ara..." Sujin starts to say.

"I'm going to class now." I say brightly. I try and give a carefree smile but it must look horrible and fake as Sujin's frown of concern deepens.

I walk past her and down the corridor towards my locker.

I know my body is frantically trying to re-stitch my emotions before they completely unravel.

I turn the combination for my locker and pull the door open.

They're lying on top of all my books is a single cupcake, turquoise icing swirled on top and a white ribbon tied around the base.

I sigh deeply, picking it up.

There's only three people who know the combination to my locker.

 

"Chanyeol, did you leave something in my locker today?" I ask as we're walking outside after class.

"Nope, and even if I wanted to I don't know your combination code." Chanyeol scratches his head.

"You memorized it one time remember when you saw me open my locker. I thought maybe you still remembered."

"Ah no," He smiles sheepishly, "I can barely remember what I just did in class. Anyway what was in there?"

"A cupcake," I sigh.

"Hmm now I think about it, when I saw Kai this morning he was by your locker... It was probably him."

"I thought so," I sigh, rubbing my head.

"Have you seen him today?" Chanyeol enquires gently.

I nod.

"We didn't speak though. He just walked straight past me."

Chanyeol sighs and lowers his eyes sadly.

"He probably just doesn't know what to say to you. Or he's super scared of saying the wrong thing and upsetting you again."

"He can’t upset me again if I'm in a consistent state of unhappiness."

"Hey don't say that," Chanyeol puts his arm around my shoulder, "Things will work out. Hey let's do something fun tomorrow, all of us."

"Like what?"

"I don't know, well what's one of the happiest times you've spent with all of us together?"

I think for a second.

"Probably when we all went to the jazz club and you guys were singing."

"Easy!" Chanyeol claps his hands happily, "I can sort that out! I'll arrange for us all to come to the jazz club tomorrow. What time?"

Realization dawns on me; this is perfect. If all the boys agree to meet at the jazz club I can bring the China boys there too and reveal the surprise. I think quickly, their flight is at 2 which means they'll get to Korea about 5  then we'd need about two hours to get to the hotel and put all their stuff down before heading over to the jazz club.

"Seven thirty?" I suggest casually, "that's not too late right; I just have something to sort out in the day time."

Chanyeol shakes his head.

"I'm sure that will be fine, we normally don't leave the jazz club until late and it's always better at night."

"Make sure everyone comes Chanyeol," I say, and then quickly add, "Otherwise it won't be the same."

"Don't worry they'll all come if it means it can make you happier." Chanyeol smiles.

 

 

I open up Yunho's email on my phone and click the link for the hotel. It's a 5* hotel situated in Gangnam called Golden Lion. The pictures certainly make it look lavish and prestige and I decide it can't help to go and visit it. Plus it would be easier to make such a large reservation in person rather than over the phone.

It takes just one short right on the subway before I'm in Gangnam. The hotel is located not far from the towering figure of the Amex tower, rising high in to the cloudy sky.

I stand outside the hotel and observe the marble pillars and immaculate door men waiting beside the doors. I carefully walk up the steps and step in to the revolving doors

Once inside the hotel the bustle of the traffic is silenced. There are yards of pristine marbled floor and as I walk I leave no foot prints as if there is invisible cleaners following me every step of the way. Both sides of the reception desk are spiral sets of stairs and I can't help but imagine defending them dressed in a ball gown.

"Good Afternoon and welcome to Golden Lion Hotel. How may I help you?" The receptionist says with a professional smile.

"Hello I'm looking to reserve some rooms for three weeks,” I say confidently, trying to ignore the skeptical stare she’s giving me.

“When did you need them for?” She asks smoothly.

“Tomorrow. I hope it isn’t too much short notice.”

“There’s an extra fee for reservations placed at short notice.” The receptionist says.

“Okay,” I shrug. The receptionist stares at me, obviously waiting for me to ask how much it is. When I don’t, she continues.

“How many rooms did you need?”

“What’s the maximum amount of people that can be in a room? I ask.

“Two, for our twin rooms.” She passes me a brochure showing all the rooms on offer.

 

Lion Suite Twin:

 

Floor-to-ceiling windows offer stunning city views from a modern 70-sq.-metre suite with natural Myanmar teak and stone. The suite includes a separate lounge, dining table, recliner, flat-screen TVs, high-speed Internet, turndown and two twin beds with cotton linens. Pamper yourself in the oversized granite bath with a rain shower, soaking tub, television and Yukata robe and slippers.

 

Perfect,” I say, pointing to the section of the brochure, “I’d like to book three of Lion Suite Twin rooms for three weeks please.”

“That’s fine, just let me call my manager,” The receptionist says quickly, picking up her telephone. I laugh inwardly; she probably doubts that I can afford all of this and I don’t blame her. I’d be sceptical if a young girl came in and tried to reserve three suites in a 5* hotel in Gangnam.

“Good afternoon Miss,” The manager comes over, dressed in a slick black suit with his wavy hair parted. His smile is genuinely open and friendly. “I understand you are trying to reserve three of our Lion twin suites?”

“That’s correct,” I smile.

“Forgive me but may I enquire as to where the funds to pay for this will be coming from?” He gives an apologetic smile, “It’s protocol for us to check that our potential guests will be paying legally for our services.”

“That’s cool I understand. It’s coming from my Father. I assume you probably know Choi JaeWan?”

“Ah yes he is an esteemed guest of ours…”

“Yeah I’m his daughter, Choi Cho Ara.”

Both the managers and the receptionist’s eyes widen slightly and widen still when I pull out my platinum credit card, only used for large purchases like this.

“Allow me,” The manager swiftly goes on to the other side of the reception desk and sits down at the computer to personally carry out my purchase.

 

It’s evening and I’m curled up on the sofa with Saja, watching a Korean drama. In my mind I go through the list of preparations for the China boy’s arrival. The hotel rooms are all booked, and I can just pick up the keys tomorrow when I arrive with the boys. Sujin just texted me to say that she’ll be outside my house with the transport at 4pm tomorrow and then straight after Chanyeol texted me to say everyone can make it to the jazz club for seven thirty tomorrow.

“Everything seems to be going to plan Saja,” I say with a small smile.

In the corridor I hear footsteps and I automatically tense. Then the tinkling of keys, the opening of a door and then the slam as it closes. It must be Kai arriving home.

I sigh.

“Everything except one thing,” I say to Saja, resting my head in his fur.

--------------------

A/N: All I can do is apologise again for the long wait T_T When my important exams are other I shall be back to updating a lot I pinky promise!

Feel free to follow my twitter @jeojadu I'm going to start using it to keep in touch with you all ^^

Hope you're all well and okay!

Get ready for EXO M arrival in the next chapter!! ">>.<<"