13-- Interruptions

Who Are You?

Just as I'm coming out the bathroom I hear my ring tone shrieking from my desk.

"Hello?"

"ARA!" Sujin literally screams.

"Dear God child what's wrong with you?"

"I can not believe it, this is literally one of the best days of my life. Like I must have been a freaking saint in a past life for this to happen. I just-"

"Cut to the chase my man."

"Sehun asked me out on a date Ara," Her voice drips happiness, I bet if we were in person I'd be able to see her eyes shining. "He actually asked to take me out! Today!"

Time to pretend to be surprised.

"Really? Ahh that's great! I can't believe it!"

She's not fooled for a second.

"You knew didn't you? You knew he was going to ask me and you didn't prepare me!"

"Knew? Knew what? Of course I didn't know." I sit down on my bed and ruffle Saja's fur.

"Liar! How could you not tell me Ara, we're best friends!" She whines. Then her voice brightens, "So he talked to you about me? That's so cute! What did he say?"

"Nothing much just asked if you currently had a boyfriend."

"So that means he wants to ask me out right?" She gasps

"That's normally what happens after dates," I say dryly, "So what are you planning to wear?"

I stay on the phone with Sujin for another half an hour while she goes into extreme detail about her outfit. She says they're meeting up for 4pm and I tell her to make sure she gives me an update as soon as it's over.

"No leaving out the juicy details!" I warn, "Even if you guys end up in a motel I want to hear all about it!"

"Ara shush you idiot! Like that's ever going to happen." She squeals. Then a pause, "But I can hope right?"

We both burst out laughing and afterwards I hang up so she can continue getting ready for her date.

Before I have chance to put my phone down the message tone beeps. My eyes widen as a number I haven't seen in months appears on my screen.

 

Guess whose back! 3pm, the usual place. Don't be late munchkin.

 

 

The weather is chilly outside, which isn't surprising since it's nearing the end of October. I put on a woollen hat and scarf and set off.

I peer through the window of our usual cafe. He's sitting in our usual seat right by the corner, looking at something on his phone.

I feel genuine happiness well up inside me at the sight of him.

Sneaking up behind him I place my hands over his eyes and silently laugh as he tenses.

"Guess who!"

"Oh I wonder," He says wryly. I let go and throw my arms around his neck.

"I'm so happy to see you!" I smile, squeezing him tight.

"I'm happy to see you too munchkin. I've missed you."

I let go and go and sit at the seat opposite him.

Short smooth dark hair and friendly brown eyes. Pearly white teeth that are stretched into a wide smile. Long legs tucked under the table. Wearing a black business suit with a briefcase stashed neatly under the table. Changmin, my father's personal secretary.

"So how are things?" He asks, "Your father sends his love by the way."

"Yeah yeah I'm sure he does," I wave my hand in dismissal, "Listen bro I have to tell you something but you must promise that you won't tell him."

Changmin looks at me steadily and then sighs.

"This doesn't sound good but go on, I promise."

I proceed to tell him about the man that tried to attack me in my own apartment and I wince at his shocked expression.

"Are you okay?" He says his eyebrows furrowed in concern. He cups my face and twists my head to one side. He must be able to see the receding bruises and scars because his face looks grim.

"We have to tell your father Ara. There's no question about it."

"Changmin, you promised!'

"I didn't know it was going to be something like this! Something that nearly caused you to lose your life!" Changmin cries.

I'm regretting telling him already. I take a deep breath.

"Look Changmin I can understand. That you're upset-"

"No you don't understand Ara-" He begins.

"Wait," I beg, "Please listen to me."

His eyes soften and he sighs, motioning for me to continue.

"I know that this is serious Changmin, believe me it's been on my mind ever since. But the fact of the matter is is that I'm an adult and I have to learn to take care of myself. The locks on my door have been changed, we have a new door system and I have a dog. I know-" I raise my voice slightly as he goes to interrupt; "I know I should tell my Father about it but you know how he'll react. It's taken ages for me to get him to give me this space." I take his hand and look straight into his eyes. "Please don't ruin this for me Changmin. Allow me to take care of myself."

He looks at me steadily, worry still shadowing his eyes. I continue holding his hand and trying to let my eyes convey to him how much I need him to trust me.

“Please,” He whispers. “Please reconsider.”

I bite my lip but shake my head resolutely.

“I’ve made my mind Changmin,” I say softly, “I need to live my life like this. I won’t end up like my Mother. I cannot do that to her.”

He sighs heavily, shoulders drooping as if the weight of the world rests on them.

“Okay,” He holds up his hands and sits back, “Okay. You’re not a kid anymore, I can’t tell you what to do. But please let me know you’re doing okay and if you ever need anything or anyone…”

“I know,” I smile, “I know you’ll be there.”

“So who’s this Jongin kid anyway,” He sits back and folds his arms.

“Oh he’s just someone that’s moved into the apartment opposite mine,” I shrug.

“Just someone?” Changmin’s eyes narrow. “You liar.”

“What are you talking about?”

“You like him.”

“Oh please, don’t even go there. I haven’t got time to like someone; I have to focus on my college studies. You know I want to be a famous writer. I don’t have time for boys.”

Changmin rolls his eyes.

“You,” He points at me, “Are not fooling anybody. You like him.”

“Fine,” I mumble, fiddling with a loose thread on my scarf, “Don’t believe me then.”

“Oh don’t worry I don’t! I need to get a background check done on this guy, I’m suspicious with him living opposite you.”

“Yah, don’t start getting people to follow him or anything. He thinks I’m just a normal girl so let’s keep it that way.” I huff.

Changmin’s eyes soften until he looks almost sad.

“Hey silly, your wealth doesn’t define who you are. It doesn’t make you normal or strange. It’s just something out of your control. If you have to hide the fact that your father’s successful from someone you care about then are they worth it? Or is it that you don’t believe you are worth it.”

 

We leave the café around 20 minutes later as Changmin has a meeting soon that he needs to drive quite far to get to. We walk arms linked while Changmin tells me about his time abroad with my Father.

“Oh yeah!” He suddenly clicks his finger in remembrance, “The main reason I arranged to meet with you is to relay a message from your father.”

“Oh the joy,” I say sarcastically, “What does he want this time?”

“Hey behave. He wants you to attend a dinner he’s having…

“Let me guess, so he can show me off to one of his business men about what a fine job he’s been doing bringing me up. Acting like he knows me when he doesn’t.”

“Hey Ara,” He frowns slightly, “Where is all this bitterness coming from?”

I look away and scuff my feet on the pavement.

“When is it anyway,” I mutter.

“I’ll text you the details,” He says still looking at me closely, “He hasn’t finalised it yet so I’ll let you know.”

We finally reach my apartment and Changmin insists on inspecting the new door system before he leaves.

“Take care of yourself okay munchkin,” He says, pulling me into a hug.

“Yeah yeah I will,” I say, but I hold him tight. He steps back and raises a hand to wave before turning away. I watch his tall figure walk briskly down the street. I’ve known that guy since as long as I can remember. My earliest memories always have him in the background, standing loyally by my Father’s side. We weren’t related in anyway; he had been employed as Father’s intern when he left university and that’s where he had been ever since, but I still consider him my brother, and I know he regards me as his little sister.

I unlock the door to my apartment and bend down to greet Saja. I take off my shoes, un-wrap the scarf from around my neck, take off my gloves and then pick up Saja.

“Are you hungry baby,” I coo as he nestles into my neck. I shovel some dog food into his bowl and pour some water into the dish next to it. He jumps down from my arms and starts to eat happily. I turn on the TV and throw myself down on the sofa. I flick through the channels, click to a random drama and then snuggle into the sofa ready to watch TV until I fall asleep.

The perfect evening.

Knock knock.

I frown and look towards the door, unsure whether I’m imagining the knocking sound. Sometimes Saja likes to bang his bowl around.

“Was that you?” I ask him. He slowly turns to look at me with large dark innocent eyes.

Knock knock.

I get up from the sofa, pick Saja up and walk over to the door.

“Who is it,” I call.

“It’s me,” Jongin says.

I take the door of the latch, turn the key and pull open the door.

My arms loosen slightly causing Saja to leap down.

Jongin’s standing on my doorstep wearing a grey vest top above black jogging bottoms. The low neck line of the vest top gives me a glimpse of a sun-kissed toned chest. His hair is just-woken-up type messy and some of the strands cover his eyes He’s breathing heavily and I can see a light sheen of sweat on his face as if he’s just finished doing exercise.

“Jongin? What’s up?” I say hesitantly. I can feel my cheeks flushing because to be quite honest, he looks delicious right now.

“I need to talk to you,” He says.

“Oh? Oh okay come in…”I move to step back to allow him in but he grabs my wrist. He looks up at me with the same piercing gaze he has after dancing. I realize this is Jongin in his dance mood.  This is the Jongin I rarely see, the Jongin whose actions I can’t predict. The Jongin who can silence me with a single look, who can induce butterflies in my stomach and tingling throughout my body with a single touch. Suddenly everything has become a lot more dangerous.

“Stay,” He whispers.

My eyes widen and I stare at him.

“W-what?”

“Stay,” He repeats. His eyes flicker all over my face before coming to rest on my eyes. His intense gaze seems to be reaching inside of me and pulling out the answer that he wants. “Stay with me tonight.”

---------

A/N: -Pheew the temperature has suddenly risen by like 10 degrees! Prepare yourself for the next chapter guys ;)

Follow me on tumblr if you want here ^_^

Thanks for commenting, subscribing and upvoting guys!