1-- Objection

Who Are You?

I stared in disbelief at the white removal van parked outside my apartment block.

There was a reason for this disbelief. For four months I had been living by myself in a whole block of newly built apartments, there being no other residents. My little flat on the fourth floor had been the only light shining out onto the street, the only indication of any life form. The owner just couldn't get anyone else to rent out an apartment and so behind the closed doors in the hallways, there were only empty shells.

And now I had a neighbour.

I stepped cautiously round the van, parked with its doors flung wide open, and leapt over the boxes scattered all over the stairs and hallway. They led to the door of an apartment opposite my own and I peered in, glancing whitewashed walls and sleek black leather sofas.

I let myself in to my apartment and left the door open. Throwing my bag down on the sofa, I went over to the freezer and took out a container of pork dumplings. While they reheated in the oven, I collapsed on the sofa.

I wonder what type of neighbour it was. My instinct (or wishful thinking) was telling me it was a man and I wondered what age he was and what had made him decide to move. Hopefully he wouldn't be a complete jerk. Imagine that, of all the people in Seoul to move into this block of apartments and I get stuck with a jerk. It would be just my luck.

Taking a container out of my cupboard, I carefully laid the dumplings inside, put the lid on and laid a pack of chopsticks flat on top. Running a comb from my hair and trying to rub the remaining look of boredom from college off my face, I went over to the apartment opposite.

The door was partially open and I could hear sounds from within a room inside. Clutching my box against my chest, I knocked firmly on the door and then stood back.

After a few seconds, the door opened properly and I was able to get my first good glance of my new neighbour.

My mouth quite literally fell open and rolled away down the hallway.

He was hot. He was actually beautiful. He was tall and dressed in black jeans, with his hands tucked casually into his pockets, and a black V neck tshirt. His hair was dark brown and wavy, with strands falling into his eyes. Eyes, which were dark brown and effortlessly caught your attention and held it pinned against the wall. But the thing I noticed the most were his lips, all pink and plump. His eyebrows were raised slightly as he stared at me, waiting for something.

Probably for me to pick up my mouth.

"Here," I the container in his hands. He grabbed it, startled, eyes wide.

"And this is...?" His voice was deep and velvety.

Come on one flaw, give him one flaw.

"Dumpling. Pork dumplings," I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and focused on sounding like I was 19 not 9 months. "I figured you could do with some food since you've just moved in. I remember when I first moved in and my oven wasn't working so I had to get takeout. Since I didn't have any nice neighbours willing to give up their food for me." I stuck my tongue out.

He laughed, his eyes curving and his cheeks bunching up, presenting straight white teeth.

I felt the urge to flick him, to check if he was real.

"That's really nice of you," He smiled. "Would you like to eat them with me?" He tilted his head in the general direction of his apartment.

I nearly knocked the poor namja over as I strode into his apartment, grinning as I passed.

"Nice apartment," I said, "Simplistic."

Minimalistic would have been a better word. There were two sleek leather sofas placed around a silver coffee table. They faced a large screen television. 

And that basically made up the room.

"The rest of the furniture's coming tomorrow," He said, taking two plates out of the cupboard and placing a dumpling on each. "But even then I don't have much."

"That's how I started out," I said sympathetically, "And now my flat's so cluttered it's a joke."

He laughed again as he handed me a plate. Maybe it was another case of wishful thinking but I felt as though he had my gaze for longer then necessary, and when he drew back, I almost felt the connection tugging from my eyes.

"I'm Choi Cho Ara by the way," I said, trying to dispel any thoughts from my head, "I live at the apartment opposite yours. Apart from me there's no one else in the whole block. You chose a pretty quiet place to live."

One of the corners of his mouth tugged into a smile,

"I guess I did, but then again I like my privacy." 

I fought the urge to over analyse that sentence.

"I'm Kim Jongin," He said, "But everyone calls me Kai."

"Okay Jongin," I said cheerfully. If everyone called him Kai I sure as hell was going to be calling him Jongin.  Ah look at me and my pathetic little tricks to try and stand out to him.

He scowled at the mention of his real name,

"Kai's much better, I much prefer it," He insisted.

"All the more reason for me to call you Jongin!"

"Ah I see your true annoying nature is shining through!" Jongin's eyes were wide with indignation, "First you make me all vulnerable with food and then you betray me like this,"

"Betray you like this? What the hell?"

"I banish you from my apartment," He a pointed finger towards the door of his apartment, fighting to keep his face straight

"Well I refuse to move," I challenged, "I need a fair trial, this punishment is unjust!"

"This punishment is fair! Leave!"

I jumped to my feet,

"I demand a lawyer!"

"I refuse your demand!" he said, half laughing.

"Objection!" I cried, my cheeks puffing out in my effort to not laugh.

"Objection overruled!"

"Where is the justice! I demand a retrial!"

"And I demand that you take me out tonight,"

I opened my mouth to reply and then closed it again. All of a sudden my heart was pumping fast and my palms were slick with sweat. There was silence in the room and I looked at Jongin, wondering if I had misheard him.

"What did you say?" I asked softly.

"I said that you have to take me out tonight and show me around the neighbourhood since I'm new here," He winked, "That's your new punishment."

With his arms behind him, he leant back against the kitchen counter until his t-shirt pulled taut over his chest while he waited for my answer.

"Okay then," I said, suddenly feeling all self conscious, "What time should I pick you up?"

"Oo be careful," He said, pretending to be shocked, "You're making it sound like a date or something."

"Don't flatter yourself mate!" I scoffed, rolling my eyes.

"Come back in an hour," He continued, "And don't leave me waiting!"

"Yeah yeah," I said, dismissively waving a hand as I walked out of his apartment. The sound of his laughter followed me out into the hallway, almost as if he could see the big smile on my face.

 

 

An hour later (59 minutes to be precise) I shut my door and locked it. I'd got changed into a denim dress with a flared skirt and clipped a bow in my hair. A small zip bag hung from my shoulder and I tucked my keys in before zipping it shut.

This time Jongin's door was closed. I knocked firmly and tried to keep the smile from my face. I had butterflies in my stomach in anticipation. He really seemed perfect, and the conversation between us flowed effortlessly. I had no doubt tonight was going to be fun.

The door opened and Jongin pocked his head out. The moment I saw his eyes widen I knew he had forgotten. From what I could see he had a towelling robe on that had slipped off slightly, showing one tanned shoulder.

"Ahh Cho Ara," He began

"Kai who is it?"

A female voice from behind him wafted over to my ears. I felt a sharp crushing pain in my stomach as the girl appeared. Her eyes were wide with long eyelashes and her brown wavy hair fell over Jongin's shoulder as she leant round the door.

"Oh," She said.

"I'm so sorry Ara I completely forget," Jongin said, "My friend came over to see my new place."

From what I could tell, his place was not all she was seeing.

"Forget it Jongin," I said. "Forget it Kai,"

He winced at the sound of his nickname.

"Ara..."Something like regret tinged his voice.

"I'll see you around sometime," I stepped backwards, forcing myself to keep looking up at him, before finally turning away.

I felt his eyes on my back, all the way down the hallway.

I guess I had found the flaw.

------------------

A/N: Thank you for subscribing before the first chapter was even out! I hope it lives up to your expectations. Writing this chapter was so hard, I just kept wishing it could be true -sob sob I played EXO's album the whole way through writing this -auooo wolf noises. Thanks Dubulge for sharing my story, one pork dumpling for you :D