Chapter 6: JunHong's Cup

Coffee Shop

JunHong wiped down the counters while occasionally stealing glances at the new girl across the shop. She leaned forward letting out a deep sigh and looked up in his direction. "Is there something I'm doing wrong?" she asked looking rather flustered. It was a dead period, so little to no customers were present.

 

"Ah, no." He threw the towel into the bin and looked back to her. "How about I show you something else."

 

She followed the blonde boy like a lost sheep staying only a step behind. When he suddenly stopped, her face pressed against his back not realizing his loss of motion. "S-sorry." With a soft breath she muttered, "Why are you so tall?"

 

He his heel and bent down to look her in the eyes. Her upper body leaned back as if his boring gaze was less painful from afar. "Because,” he chuckled. “I didn't. Want to be short like you." He knocked her on the head and smiled.

 

"Yah, I'm not that short. I'm a pretty average height." She rubbed the spot he'd tapped and hurried to make sure her hair was still secured in a band. "You're just a giant, that's all."

 

He twisted his lips and gave her a disapproving look. "JoonHee-ya, are you forgetting. That I'm older than you? You shouldn't talk to me that way."

 

Her eyes averted from his in a somewhat annoyed fashion. Clearing , she stuffed her hands into her pockets and started walking away. "Hey, I wasn't done talking to you!" The blonde chased after her and took her by the arm. "I was just. Teasing. You...you know?” His words were slightly stammered and she gave a threatening glare. How could someone older than her be so incapable. He couldn’t even speak properly, to her or the customers, and now he was going to be in charge of her? Show her what to do? Forget being new, how could she put faith in someone that couldn’t communicate well? “I'm sorry. But really. There are things to be done."

 

The pair quietly went to the back room and grabbed the cleaning supplies for the bathroom. "I can show you exactly what needs to be done, and we can do it together. It'll get done faster." That came out more clearly, but he had no direct eye contact. How strange.

 

"You think the front will be okay?" she asked looking around his shoulder.

 

"It's midday. The others can handle it."

 

The restroom was a single room with tiled walls and a matching floor. It was a somewhat cramped room but big enough for one person to use comfortably, not so comfortable for two people to clean. JoonHee couldn't decide if the smell of chemicals was from the bucket in her hands, or was seeping out the walls. "Was it cleaned today?"

 

He wasn’t facing her when he spoke so his words flowed more easily. "It needs to be cleaned every three hours. If that's not possible, at least after each rush." He readjusted his cap to push as much hair from his face as possible. "I guess the toilet is first." Leaning down to pick up the scrub brush, he bumped into JoonHee's shoulder and when he straightened up to excuse himself, his nose met her cheek. "Ah, s-sorry. It's a bit crowded. Don't you. Think?"

 

She blushed softly and when he bent back down again, yet she crouched down and kissed his cheek.

 

JongHong stayed there. This back was arched and his arms extended to reach the cleaners. His fingertips had not yet touched the plastic bottles but he didn’t move. He couldn’t. “What was. That for?”

 

JoonHee’s eyes were wide and she wasn’t sure what to say. Taking a step back, her hands felt the walls and searched for her escape. “I uh….” She swallowed as she felt the knob beneath her touch.  “I gotta go, I think they need me.”

 

Before one foot had stepped outside the door, JunHong’s fingers were wrapped around her wrist, insisting that she stayed. “You’re not leaving. Until I get an answer.”

 

The door shut softly and he turned her so that they were face to face, mouths only a breath apart. His grip on her wrist was firm and the other hand braced the wall beside her head. “I’m not the k-kind. Of puh-person to uh-nder-stand others well. You’re giving me mix-ed signals. And I don’t underst-stand. What was that. About?”

 

JoonHee felt the corners of crack as she tried to speak. Why had she done it? Why was his strammer suddenly not so irritating? “I think, maybe I like you. I’m not sure.” Her entire face was pink and her body quaked under him. It was an innocent, faint feeling of ‘like’.

 

It’d been such a long time since any feelings were stirred and to be honest and quite frank, JoonHee was scared. She was terrified at the thought of just liking someone, of being interested in someone. Hearing his voice made her heart flutter, but she dreaded the feeling. Her past relationships made her anxious and the thought of writing one more off, it wasn’t something that sat well with her.

 

“I th-thought you hated...me.” JunHong’s words were warm on her face. “You al-ways get ir-irritated. With me. Is this n-not the case? Am I m-mistaken?”

 

Her eyes were unable to look at his. There were so many occasions where she’d scowl at the back of his head or snort at his stupid stutter, but she wasn’t sure why. Maybe it was because she liked him and in some weird way, she knew she didn’t want to like him. “I, I’m not sure.” Her lips pursed. “You make me frustrated.”

 

His hold on her loosened and his fingertips trailed up her arm, resting on her chin. He tilted her face to look at him properly and searched the depths of her eyes for a clue, a reason. He couldn’t just let her get away with an I don’t know. “Was th-that a. Con-fession?”

 

She bit down on her lip and pushed him away. “What do you want me to say? I’m not sure.” Her hand slipped over her eyes. “I don’t know if I’m ready to like someone. At least, not mentally.”

 

Warm air graced past her lips and then a softness, so brief she questioned it’s existence, melted her thoughts.

 

“Maybe someone else. Has to make the first move.”

 

Her hand uncovered her eyes to reveal the boy leaning against the wall, opposite her. He wore a childish grin. “Would the other party’s f-feelings matter?”

 

The sudden realization hit her harshly. “JunHong-ssi, are you confessing to me...in a toilet?”

 

The smile dropped from his face and he looked around. It wasn’t the most ideal place, but it wasn’t as if the boy had a choice. He opened his mouth to speak but closed it quickly. “I can’t believe it either.”

 

For the next few days, JoonHee stopped the faces. She stopped the snide remarks and bowed her head downwards around the boy. He was just another employee, right? Same status as her, right? He too had made the same confession in that small room, or was she imagining it?

 

“Excuse me.” A hand cupped JunHee’s shoulder as she struggled to lift the bag of trash.

 

She didn’t turn. She didn’t want to look at him, not yet. It’d only been about a week since the bathroom incident.

 

“JunHee-ya, do you think,” he paused, lips closing and then parting again. “Do you think we could go out sometime?”

 

She thought it over. What was the worst that could happen? “Like a date?”

 

She could sense him fidgeting. “Ah, don’t make it any more embarrassing. Yes, a date.” He spoke so clearly it bothered her.

 

Once she was turned to face him he bore his teeth in a discomforting manner. He closed his eyes and spoke slowly. “Would you. Like to. Go onna...date?”

 

Her expression softened. “I would love that.”

 

It was after a month of seeing each other that the boy began to feel more at ease with her. He spoke more fluidly, only stuttering every so often. Maybe it was this sense of comfort that caused her to let him stay the night.

 

“Have you eaten?” JunHong asked kicking off his shoes.

 

“Not yet.” She muttered softly tucking a bit of hair behind her ear.

 

“Hmmm?” The boy’s arms wrapped around her, hands closing around her wrists. He was much taller than her and could easily press his lips to the back of her head. “What’s bothering you?”

 

He waited.

 

“I kinda parted ways with an old friend today, that’s all.”

 

The boy turned her in his arms and held her at an arm’s length. “You mean the one I was going to meet?”

 

“It’s stupid.” Her eyes never caught his, but she was beginning to regret letting him over. Maybe she should have told him some other time. Now wasn’t good. “I mean, I was stupid. Not to worry though.”

 

JunHong took her face in his palms and cringed as tears swelled in her eyes. He wanted to wish away the pain without knowing nor caring what had happened. “Joonie.” He pulled her into a desperate hug and let her cling to him. There she was safe and could fit between his arms. “You don’t have to hold it in, okay?”

 

Her fingers slipped beneath his clothing and began his skin. This warm voice was somehow connected to a person. A real, living, breathing person. He wasn’t made up at all, but rather was right there in front of her. Was giving up a friendship worth it?

 

“JunHong, can I ask you something?”

 

He nodded taking her fingers between his.

 

“How many girls have you been with, before me?”

 

The boy became red in the cheeks and tried to turn away from her. “Wha-one…No. Two.”

 

JoonHee smiled. That stupid stutter was back which could only mean one thing, he was nervous.

 

Her tongue slid across the part of her lips and she leaned forward on her toes to meet him. Once met his he held her in place, hands gripping her gentle behind the ears. “Why. Do you. Ask?”

 

She smiled genuinely before kissing him again. His fingers touched her tenderly get still had a trace of anxiety. His sentences were barely two words in length once more and that was something that spoke to her. He was nervous, scared to be so close. Their breathes mixed into a cocktail of playful interaction and intimate heat. There was something soft yet needy about their embrace.

 

“JoonHee, how many guys have you been with before me?”

 

She smiled coily before pecking him on the lips. “Does it really matter?”

 

With a single breath he chuckled and shook his head. “I couldn’t care less, as long as you’re right here. That’s all that matters to me.”

 

--

 

It wasn’t uncommon to see the pair together, both worked in the same coffee shop and had similar hours. They knew the customers well and occasionally there would be new ones and possibly outlandish characters. JoonHee noticed a young girl that would often come in and wait until she could order from JunHong, regardless of the time or amount of customers.

 

“One small vanilla latte with light vanilla bean please!”

 

JoonHee looked at her and began making the coffee while JunHong rang her up.

 

She leaned across the counter. “Oppa, did you hear the news yet?”

 

JunHong hesitated on handing her the change. “What are you talking about?”

 

She slipped the loose coins into her pocket and then grabbed a loose ponytail. “I guess you’ll have to find out for yourself. Omo, Oppa will be so happy!” She winked at him and pressed a finger to his forehead. As the boy stood there looking up at the finger she spoke sweetly. “Oppa, think long and hard about something you’ve wanted.” And with that, JunHee bit down on her lip and called the out the fresh coffee. “That’s me! Oppa, don’t think too hard. Your brain might turn to mush.”

 

He blinked as the girl skipped away.

 

“What was that all about?” JunHee wanted to ask, but she held her breath and waited for JunHong to say something first.

 

It was then that a short and squat man waddled his way through the door. “Ah, Mr. Choi, how are you?”

 

JunHong bowed deeply to the man as JunHee could do nothing but watch.

 

The man coughed lightly into his hand and smiled. “I have great news, exciting news. I’m sure my daughter was in here earlier. Probably talking nonsense.”

 

JunHong laughed and nodded. “She’s no bother, really. She just came in a few minutes ago.”

 

The man didn’t look for his daughter. It seemed that he had no interest in her whereabouts or well being. “JunHong, you are well aware that this shop is family owned. As this is my decision and my Hyung’s, we both agreed that you should step up and take the opening when Manager Hwa steps down.”

 

The boy’s eyes widened. “Really?”

 

“No joke. You’ve shown that you can work and be professional even as the heir to the company. I’m a proud uncle. You’ve done more that an adequate job.”

 

JoonHee hadn’t noticed her grip tightening on an empty mug, nor had she notice the increasingly hot water in the basion. She came to the realization that JunHong was going to be her new boss and not only that, he was dating an employee, something that wasn’t allowed. She dropped the mug into the sink full of hot water and hurried to retrieve it. “Ah!”

 

The two relatives looked at her as she waved for their attention to be else where. “I’m fine, sorry.”

 

Anxiousness shook her once the man walked away. “I’ve gotta go to the restroom.” She pushed her way pasted JunHong who hurried to follow her.

 

“JoonHee?”

 

“Let me use the restroom in peace.”

 

He banged on the door again. “Let me in, please?”

 

“Can’t you read the sign? It’s says ‘women,’ you’re not allowed.”

 

“Don’t talk to me through the door. Please, let me in.”

 

She reached over and unlocked the door.

 

“Let me explain.”

“JunHong, I can’t date someone in management. It’s the rules. You’re aware of this as much as I am. AND you’re the heir to the company? Were you ever going to tell me?” She held her face in her hands. “I can’t believe you didn’t tell me this.” There was a long pause before she spoke again. “I need this job. JunHong, I won’t be able to see you anymore.”

 

“If that’s the way it has to be.” He looked at her, his eyes full of regret. They both needed their jobs, but something special was happening between them. There was no denying it.

 

“It’s the only way it can be.”

 

They looked at each other for a while before there was a knock on the door. It was the girl from earlier, JunHong’s cousin. “Sorry Shiwon, I was trying to show this employee our new cleaning routine.”

 

“But you don’t have any cleaning supplies.” She looked up at JoonHee and noticed the redness in her eyes. “Never mind. I understand.”

 

----

I'm not sure why I've been holding onto this chapter for forever...something about it seems unfinished, but I don't think I'll be able to fix this. /sighs/ I'm sorry.