Chapter 4: JongUp's Cup

Coffee Shop

It was a clear, warm day when JongUp found himself sitting in a rather small coffee shop. Before entering he had serious doubts. Who on earth would want coffee this time of year? The sun was beating down on his back as he searched for the shop and by the time he found it, a layer of sweat covered his skin.

 

“I guess it could be worse.” He muttered to himself and dabbed a napkin to his forehead. His eyes scanned the single room and he sighed once realizing his friend wasn’t there. Actually, no one was there other than two baristas and a girl sitting by the door.

 

He took a seat and lasted five minutes before getting curious and wandering around the shop. The wooden tables were small, but certainly large enough to set a cup or two on. The majority of the chairs folded but none of them really matched.

 

“Miss, are you okay?” One of the baristas had walked around the counter and woke up the girl. “You’ve been here for a while and haven’t ordered a thing. You’re not sick are you?”

 

She covered emitting a soft yawn. “What day is it?” Her head cocked to the side and the barista looked at her thoroughly confused.

 

“It’s the twenty-eighth of June.”

 

She blinked and sat up straight in her chair. “Nice. I’ll order something in a minute. Thank you for waking me.”

 

JongUp checked the clock. He was running late to begin with, but his friend was nowhere in sight and the poor boy had been waiting for nearly half an hour.

 

“You look lost.” There was a soft chuckle and JongUp turned to face the girl properly.

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“Even your accent is different. You’re from Seoul, right?” She folded her hands and rested her chin on them gently. “It’s nice to hear.”

 

JongUp was perplexed by the girl. She didn’t look at him but she was obviously talking to him. “You have a Seoul accent as well. Are you originally from there?”

 

Her lips curled into a smile, parting them to wet them with her tongue. “It’s a long story, but yes, I lived there for a time.”

 

Even though her voice was warm and every sign from her was pleasant, she still seemed solemn. “Are you waiting for someone as well?”

 

Her brows furrowed and her smile raised into an almost painful curl. “I was, but now I think I’m giving up. What do you think? Two years screams desperate, right?” She turned away from the boy, disallowing him to see her tears.

 

“That sounds more like dedication than desperation. I can’t even stay focused for more than a few minutes.”

 

The girl laughed. “You’re too sweet.”

 

The joy in her voice made him long for it. “Do you think you could do that again?”

 

Her expression faded into something gray. “Do what again?”

 

“Laugh, it was pretty.”

 

Her cheeks flushed and she hid herself behind her light brown hair. “I’m sorry. I’m not the best with compliments.”

 

The boy smiled brightly letting his eyes form deep crescents. "What do you mean? You're really beautiful."

 

She swallowed, chewing on the inside of her cheek. "You're sweet."

 

It was the second time she'd said it and it began to weigh on him, as if while complimenting him she searched for another face. "My name's JongUp, you are?"

 

She blinked. "Who am I?" A breathy sigh built up in her lungs but she fought to keep it trapped. When she finally released the breath she opened her eyes with a smile. "Call me JoonHee. It's easy to remember."

 

"JoonHee?"

 

"It's kinda sing songish. Easy enough right? In any case, I've got to go. One can only wait so long before they lose their mind, right?" Her switch of personality was striking to the boy.

 

"Ah JoonHee-ssi?"

 

She turned around as her body was pressed against the door, ready to leave.

 

"If you ever find yourself in Seoul, give me a call. I'm a good listener. Sometimes I'm good company." He scribbled his number down on an unused napkin and folded it into her hands.

 

She took it with a smile. "You really are sweet. I was feeling pretty hopeless, but you're smile reminds me that only good things can lay ahead of me. I've got to move forward to find them."

 

She pushed open the door and left.

 

For the next year both JoonHee and JongUp talked to each other. Over the phone, the two grew close and shared much information about their day. To JoonHee, it was nice to have someone to talk to. For JongUp, he simply loved her voice and her dreamy thoughts.

 

“Hey, you know I’m in Seoul right?”

 

The boy’s heart stopped. “You-you’re in Seoul? You’re in Seoul and you didn’t bother to tell me?!” He looked at the phone checking the number that was seared into his brain. “When did this happen?!”

 

She paused thinking carefully of how to word her answer. “Well, I’m still between my home in Busan and the apartment in HongDae.”

 

JongUp got silent.

 

“Would you want to grab coffee or something? Maybe tomorrow?”

 

His palms began sweating. “Tomorrow?” He wasn’t doing anything the next day, but that night, that night he planned on getting wasted. He knew when he woke up the next day he’d be hung over and in no condition to see her. “What time?”

 

“I think I’m going to be with an old friend in the morning, so maybe 3PM?” She hummed and shuffled through a few things. “Oh wait! I promised my baby sister that I’d see her at that time. How about at night then? We can grab dinner!”

 

Was this going to be like a date? JongUp had grown fond of her voice but what she looked like, he could barely remember. She had somewhat shortish light colored hair. He remembered that she was beautiful, breathtakingly so...but the details and mold of her face were difficult for him to think of. “Let’s do it!” He balled his hand into a fist and punched the air.

 

This wasn’t just some girl asking him out, it was JoonHee. The girl he met in Busan exactly one year ago.

 

“Um JongUp-ssi?”

 

He couldn’t stop smiling long enough to form words with his mouth.

 

“Today is my birthday. I know it’s a bit selfish, but could you sing me happy birthday, please?” She bit her lip waiting for him to reply. When he didn’t she spoke. “Ah, don’t worry about it. I’ll send you the address of a restaurant. My sister told me about it yester-”

 

The voice was low, but incredibly sweet. “Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear JoonHee, happy birthday to you~”

 

Her breath caught in . “JongUp-ssi...that was....” He couldn’t see the tears that were swelling in her eyes. No one had yet to wish her happy birthday. “You’re the sweetest. Thank you.”

 

He spent the next few hours searching local jewelry stores. What could he get a girl he barely knew, but talked to nearly everyday? A couple’s ring set was not appropriate, but he looked at them wondering if maybe one day he’d be in the same spot looking at them with her. “JongUp, don’t think about it. You don’t know her that well.”

 

“Do you need some help?” the man behind the counter asked.

 

“Ah, I’m looking for a birthday present. A close friend of mine is turning--” he stopped. He didn’t know how old she was; he’d always assumed they were the same age. “I’m seeing her tomorrow. Is there anything you’d recommend?”

 

The older man ruffled his whispy gray hair. “Well, is she your girlfriend or just a friend?”

 

JongUp’s cheeks felt warm. “Just a friend.”

 

“I see.” The man chuckled a little. It was obvious from the boy’s expression that he was interested in her. He was thinking too deeply about the present and seemed nervous looking around the shop. “Well, you could get her a set of earrings, but I’d go with a necklace. Those are always a good idea.”

 

The man looked down at the jewelry and pushed up his glasses. “The best part about buying a necklace is putting it on her.”

 

JongUp’s eyes widened. That wasn’t something he’d previously thought about.

 

“This one is new to the store. As far as I’m aware, no one else carries it.” The man reached down and pulled a piece out from behind the display. He held it to the boy. “It’s sweet and simple. A droplet shaped crystal on a thin gold chain.”

 

The boy took the delicate necklace and played with the crystal between his fingers. “I’ll take it.”

 

When JongUp woke the next morning his head was throbbing. Everything was loud and bright. He remembered bits of the night before, like how angry his friend was that some girl didn’t show and how even the guy’s best friend left without a word. It was like no one had time for him which made even JongUp a bit upset. How could everyone make plans and then bail at the last second?

 

JongUp glanced at the clock and jumped forward. It wasn’t morning at all. It was 4PM and he was going to meet JoonHee at five. He scrambled to pick up his phone. Frantic, he kicked off the covers and looked searching for the device. Then the lost puppy traced his chaotic steps.

 

“I know I had it when I called the cab.” He searched his pockets turning them inside out. At the last pocket he gave up hope and threw the clothing across the room. There, on the floor, was a blinking phone.

 

“Hey JongUp-ssi, this is JoonHee. I can’t come today. I’m so sorry. We’ll have to reschedule.” Her voice was hushed and seemed a bit shaky. Was she okay?

 

He tried calling her back but the phone was turned off.

 

They wouldn’t get together until the next week and when he found out why, he went numb.

 

“I can be frank with you right?” She pushed the soft black hair away from her face. The length was a little bit shorter than the last time he saw her, but it framed her face well and brightened her complexion.

 

“Of course.” He was all smiles but the serious tone in her voice told him that he should be cautious. Something had definitely happened.

 

“I went out the other night to celebrate my birthday with a friend. Well...” she huffed and shook her head. “He wasn’t just a friend. For a while he was my best friend, and an even shorter time, he was my boyfriend.”

 

A part of this stung JongUp deeply. Even though they had been talking and were so close, she still wanted to see her ex. It was like saying that he would never be good enough.

 

She covered her face with her hands letting the short bits of hair fall into her eyes. “I got really drunk the other night.” She seemed to have stopped breathing, as if the act of breathing would speed up the process of telling her story. “I was just so angry. It was my birthday and he ditched me!” her hands fell down into her lap and now tears were burning her eyes.

 

“This guy found me while I was a bit tipsy. We left for a bar down the road. I couldn’t take it. Just being in that place made me sick.” She choked on her words. The feeling of absolute loneliness was creeping up on her again.

 

JoonHee hurried to take a sip of water. When she set the glass down she stared at it, tracing the rim with her index finger. “He’s not a bad guy, I was just being thoughtless, ya know?” She looked JongUp in the eyes and felt even more ashamed. After averting them she continued. “I woke up the next morning in a hotel with him.”

 

JongUp’s heart stopped. He could have sworn he felt something for the girl, be it a romantic love or not, he knew he felt some sort of love. Every night she couldn’t sleep was a night that the two of them were on the phone talking. Every bored moment of his was a blink from her inbox. Only seeing each other face to face once was definitely weird, but he’d grown to love her.

 

The way she spoke carried weight and meaning, but in the same breath was light hearted. Even talking to her on her worst days was fun. She would be angry and upset then slide into a sense of loneliness. At this second stage she’d describe the things around her so that he could talk as if he was there. “JongUp-ssi, what do you see in the sky?”

 

At the time, he’d look up and smile. “JoonHee, I see diamonds. Beautiful jewels shining down on you.” He was being cheesy, overly so, but all he wanted was for her to smile.

 

“I see clouds. It’s pouring down rain.”

 

The two of them laughed at the dramatic difference. Even if they felt no distance at all, it was there and there was no denying it. But here she was, only a table length away and he’d never felt further from her.

 

“JoonHee, I--” He thought about what he was going to say but ended up not saying anything at all.

 

“JongUp-ssi,” she bit her lip. “Don’t think poorly of me. I’m kinda...I’ve kinda not handled this past breakup well.”

 

“How long has it been?” He couldn’t stop himself but once he said it he wanted to take it back.

 

She swallowed. “Officially? Two years, almost to the date, but every time I see him or talk to him it’s like nothing happened.”

 

This hit JongUp like a tidal wave. That meant that even now, as she sat across from him, she wasn’t completely over her ex.

 

“Can I still give you your present?”

 

JoonHee blinked several times. She was expecting him to be angry or upset but he didn’t appear to be. “Uhm, sure, but you didn’t have to get me a present.”

 

He took the small box from his pocket and set it on the table. “It’s not much, I just wanted to make sure you got something.”

 

'The best part about buying a necklace is putting it on her.’

 

JongUp froze. After such a confession, he was sure he wouldn’t be able to fasten it for her.

 

“JongUp-ssi, you....you didn’t have to....” JoonHee was crying again but all JongUp could do was watch her from the opposing side of the table. “Why are you so sweet? You’re absolutely killing me.”

 

He wanted to reach out. He wanted to touch her, but he was ashamed. Her heart belonged to another and he was too blind to see this.

 

From then on JongUp and JoonHee would meet each other regularly. It wasn’t much, maybe two days out of the month they would grab coffee or go to the park. Each time he saw her she was bright and lively. It was difficult to think that this girl was still deeply conflicted by her ex.

 

As time moved forward, JongUp was convinced that she was slowly getting over the boy. She wore the necklace everyday and would roll the pendant between her fingers.

 

“JongUp-ah!” She was so used to talking to him now that she didn’t address him as formally. “There’s someone I’d like you to meet!”

 

She was uncommonly cheery. The bit of sadness that usually stained her expression was lifted. “Who would that be?” The boy was happy to see her smile without hesitation. It was a first for him and he rather liked the look on her.

 

“Oppa.”

 

The boy blinked at her. He thought everything over in his head. She didn’t have any siblings other than a younger sister. She didn’t have any cousins or many relatives at all for that matter. “Oppa?” The word was biter on his tongue. He himself was older than her, but not once did she ever think to call him that. It took him a moment but he decided that he didn’t want to know. “JoonHee-ya, I’m really busy.”

 

Her brows furrowed and her smile faded. “I wanted to see what you thought of him.”

 

JongUp’s chest bursted. She wanted him to approve of another guy?

 

“JoonHee-ya, I’m really busy.”

 

She pouted and grabbed his face in her hands. “But you make time for me! Why can’t you just this once?”

 

He could tell from her expression she didn’t know. She hadn’t realized that JongUp was watching over her so closely because he’d felt something more than friendship. She didn’t notice the way he watched her laugh or see his expression change the moment she came into view. No, somehow she didn’t see these signs.

 

“I just don’t think it’s a good idea.”

 

Her face scrunched up. “JongUp-ssi!”

 

She watched as his body language shifted from shy and timid to something more proud. “JoonHee-yah, I don’t want to see this guy.” He caught her hands as they began to slide down his face. The grip on her wrist was soft but the intensity in his eyes through her off. He carefully kissed the palms of her hands and raise his eyelids to put her into view. “I’m not going to send you off with some guy. Especially some guy I don’t know.”

 

JoonHee was painfully aware of their surroundings. Although her eyes never shifted from his face, chatter of the streets filled her ears. But she was starting to understand.

 

“JoonHee, I can’t do it. Don’t ask this of me.” He pressed her hands together and kissed the tops of her knuckles. Everything that had been bottled up for the past two years was leaking out. Every ounce of reinforcement to keep everything in was failing. “I don’t think I can see you anymore. It’ll be too painful.”

 

Thoughts of JongUp began playing thought her head like a recap of the past years. She could see herself sitting in her bedroom, staring at the sky over Busan and talking to him. “JongUp-ah..” she wasn’t crying, but her body ached as if she were.

 

His finger traced her lips hushing her. “The first time I met you in that Busan coffee shop, I was waiting for a friend. He never showed. I walked all the way from the station to that shop and the jerk didn’t even show his face. I got a call from his hyung that he was chasing some girl. But none of that seemed to matter because I met you. You’re the whole reason I even remember that day. June twenty eighth, two years of chasing screams desperate, don’t you think?”

 

JoonHee’s heart stopped. Her own words were more painful than imagined. ‘It sounds more like dedication than desperation.’

 

“You were just so breathtaking. Your body language was absolutely beautiful and the way you looked at things? I wanted to hear you speak more.” He searched her eyes but all he could see was her realization and bits of remorse. “I don’t care about all the exes of your past, but I can’t bare to be around you while you’re with someone else.” His forehead rested against hers. She would never feel the same way he felt about her, that was obvious. “JoonHee, I want to thank you though. Even if I’ve been totally crushed, you’ve made me a better person.”

 

The damage was completely done. She could see it everywhere.

 

She held onto him for as long as she could. Her arms selfishly wrapped around his waist and she dug herself into his chest.  She was sorry to see him go, but she understood it had to be done. All she’d ever seen in him was a good friend, a wonderful person, but that’s not what he saw in her. She knew it would be too painful for him. If he need to let her go, she should honor his request and step aside. But as the moment was, he was standing right there and she couldn’t bare it.

 

“JoonHee,” he pet her head and breathed soothing words. “If we run into each other, we can be friendly, but no more outings okay?” He kissed the crown of her head and loosened his grip on her. “I wish you and this guy the best.”

 

Every part of her told her to take it back, to hold him tighter and tell him that she didn’t want this new guy if it meant losing him. But a part of her knew how insincere that was. This small, overpowering part of her let her arms fall to her side and watch him go.


Tears were streaming down her face but no hint of regret was to be found. As painful as it was, she’d made the right choice in letting him leave.


Q_Q I'm sorry it took me 3 weeks....I coudn't because of reasons...hopefully the idea of doesn't turn you all off too badly...
cos the next chapter is about her one night stand...any guesses who this is?

I'm just really sorry this took so long and it don't even seem that great. /heavy sigh/ I'm going to move forward though..

MeiMeng