ABOVE AND BEYOND (SEMI-FINISHED)

Lovestruck with a Soccer Ball
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Four years passed just like that. 

The final match of the national soccer tournament came around, and Doojoon finally got to meet the scouts that had been pining for him since his last game against Seoul University.  They offered him a full-time membership on their professional team, complete with a scholarship for his education.  Doojoon accepted, but he had one condition to make: if they allowed Kikwang to go with him.

I was very shocked when Kikwang called to tell me the good news, he was practically screaming with joy.  I gave him my sincerest congratulations, and immediately called Doojoon afterwards.  He too was very happy about the offer and the three of us plus Junhyung went out to celebrate.  That was the last time I saw the trio together, then everything else fell into place.  

The seasons flew by, perhaps more quickly that I would've liked.  Junhyung was now quite reputable at Dongshin for having amazing talents in composing and writing songs, which he let his friend Yoseob perform them in various concerts.  The younger male used to sing in a metal rock band in his high school years, who would’ve thought? 

As Doojoon and Kikwang were deeply immersed in their time between soccer and studies, I got to know the other members of their group circle through Junhyung’s introductions.  Hyunseung was studying to be a professional dancer, and also took vocal lessons outside of school with Yoseob.  Dongwoon was the most serious one, and he wanted to expand his knowledge on foreign languages.  In a way, I found myself relating more to him than anyone else.

A particular thought hit me one night, and it just occurred to me that I was not alone anymore.  I know, this struck me kind of late, but I never realized this until the last week of my university education.  

Doojoon...Hyunseung...Junhyung...Yoseob...Kikwang... Dongwoon...my cousin Bomi...

I used to think that I was a nobody, a friendless geek with her head up in her books and nothing else, but now I had more people to treasure for a lifetime, and I was forever grateful for that. 

By now, it was the end of March and my final year at Cube University has come to an end.  A few days before my graduation, I woke up to see a message from Doojoon.  It read:

SuAh-yah~ mianhae, I can’t come to your graduation!   Apparently, coach booked a really important soccer match that day and it’s impossible for me to miss!  Cheongmal mianhae x 10000000000, I wanted to tell you this in person, but the coach is being a…. Anyways, I know your graduation will go well and I’ll be there in spirit!  Saranghae!  -Doojoon

My mouth dropped open in disbelief. 

How could he?  I attended his graduation, and pretty much everyone else’s a week ago, and he couldn’t come to mine?  This was so unfair!

Brooding dark and gloomy thoughts, I stomped my way back home where I spent the rest of the hours silently cursing at my boyfriend, while trying to concentrate on my books.  Shockingly, even my books failed to impress me.  I tried calling him one last time with my phone, but it just went straight to his voicemail.   

“It’s true, SuAh-yah.  Doojoonie and Kikwangie both have the soccer match tomorrow.  They’ve already packed their stuff and went.” Yoseob told me when I called his cell.  My depression sunk even further.  "I see..." 

“But don’t worry!  The rest of us will be there for your big day!” 

My lips stretched into a wan smile - I couldn't help it. Yoseob's cheery attitude just had a way of making you feel better even if you've fallen in the deepest pits of hell.  “Chincha?”

“Of course!  It’s only fair if you come to ours that we go to yours!”  Yoseob chirped.  My mood lightened up slightly at the thought of them coming.  Just slightly, though.

“Komawo, Yoseob-ah.”  I clicked off the phone and forced myself to go to sleep.

True to his word, Yoseob and the rest of the guys came over to Cube the very next day.  I was already in the auditorium along with the other graduates, rehearsing for the ceremony and didn’t get to see them until we threw our square caps into the air. 

My parents were the first to find me amongst the huge crowd, and my mother crushed me into her arms at first glance.  “My baby, congratulations on graduating!”  she cried. 

I hugged her back tightly, savouring the motherly touch that I had missed for so long while at the dorms.  My father also ruffled my hair with affection.  “We’re so proud of you, SuAh-yah.  First in your entire class for modern literature, who would’ve guessed?”

His question made me laugh, as if he didn’t already know this was already going to happen.  My father was after all, the one who taught me everything I needed to know and learn for my future occupation.  Along with my mother of course, but right now, she was asking a question which I had wanted answered as well.

“Where is that handsome boyfriend of yours?”  she asked.

“Err…”  I fumbled.  My father raised an eyebrow.  “He’s not here?  I thought Doojoon was free today.” 

“He has a soccer mat-”

“YOON SUAH!”  An obnoxiously loud voice interrupted my mother’s sentence, and a second later I felt myself being thrown forwards into an unfamiliar chest.  Wisps of bleached white hair tickled the sides of my face.  I blinked, and then gasped in shock.  “Yang Yoseob!”

“Annyeong!”  He grinned in response.  I simply gaped at him, and at his new hair.  Smiling his dimpled smile, Yoseob detached himself and stepped back to greet my parents, but not before he sent a look over his shoulder.  That was when I realized the other members were behind him, either fixing their newly dyed hairstyles or gazing around.  Junhyung sauntered up to me and held his hand up.  "You okay?"

I took his high-five.  “You guys changed your hair colours?”

Hyunseung’s hands immediately flew to his head.  “Wae, does it look that bad?” he yelped, tugging on his dyed brown locks.  I quickly reassured him that it didn’t, and that the colour fitted both him and Junhyung.  Dongwoon, although he looked like he was sulking a bit, still managed to smile brightly at me.

“Congrats on graduating, noona,” he rumbled in his deep voice.  I smiled, and reached up to finger one of his blond strands.  It was a pleasant honey colour, and almost gave him a western-like appearance.  “Now you really look like a foreigner,” I teased.

Dongwoon’s pout returned.  “The hyungs forced me to get it,” he said and sent a small glare to his friends who were horsing around nearby, “All because of a bet Kikwang-hyung made.”

Now that got my attention.  “What happened with Kikwang?”

“We were playing a game in which the losers had to dye their hair a different colour,” the maknae muttered with evident distaste, “And you know how competitive the six of us get at those games.”

“Of course…” I rolled my eyes at the thought of last Christmas, where the boys were having one of their competitions and Kikwang suffered a painful experience of having bagfuls of ice dumped down his shirt.  “So the idiot wanted revenge?  But he loses every time!”

“Not this time, and it all came down to Doojoon-hyung and Kikwang-hyung.  Doojoon-hyung attempted to trick him, but somehow Kikwang-hyung didn’t fall for it, so...”  Dongwoon trailed off and he began to laugh into his hands.

I joined in on his chuckles.  “So Lee Kikwang won?  That’s a first!  It looks like he’s not an idiot after all.” 

“Who’s an idiot?”  A familiar voice hollered from behind us.  I turned around, and found myself sta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter