Date 3: The Raincheck

90 Dates - Book 2 of a Trilogy

 

Date 3: The Raincheck

 

 


“I'm so excited!” Dara said, jumping up and down like a little girl.



They had just freshened up from a day spent with Dara's friends who had gathered for the product launch of Daesung's latest media tech software. It had been a treat to gather for a celebratory occasion rather than the grim reasons that had brought them together the last time.



“You know, I purposefully skipped the food at the reception so that I'll have extra room to pig out today!”



Jiyong chuckled. He found it amusing that such a tiny creature could eat her weight in food and still maintain her goddess-like figure. What a breath of fresh air from the usual women who would pick at their food in front of their boyfriends. He watched her as she hugged herself in anticipation for their foodie date and felt a sudden flutter in his chest. How did she do that? How did she still make his heart skip a beat without even trying? Would it always be this way?



“Why are you looking at me like that?”



Because you take my breath away....WHOA cut the cheesy crap, Kwon! She'd probably roll her eyes at that one.



“Just happy to be rolling with a girl who can hold her own in the eating department.”



She giggled and gave her megawatt smile that sent Jiyong into palpitations, but he wouldn't trade his near coronary for the world. Sometimes, he still couldn't believe his luck; that someone like her would allow him to love her....and even more unbelievable, would love him right back. It blew his mind that after all that had happened, they were finally together....living together, no less....and sharing every moment together with no work or social obligations to get in their way. It was paradise. It was heaven. She was his heaven.



“I love you, D.”



“Ji, what's with you right now?” her demeanor softened as she cupped his face in her tiny hands, looking deep into his eyes with a bit of concern.



But the grumble in her stomach protested vehemently to any romantic interruptions.



“Let's go! I'm hungry,” she pouted as she pushed him with an unnatural strength towards the door.



They took the ten minute walk to Namdaemun market hand in hand, with Dara mapping out their strategy to maximize their foodie experience. Jiyong smiled, relishing the feel of her hand in his. As they walked by an entrance to the subway systems, he caught sight of some men doing a double take at her beauty. Did they not see her hand clearly in his? Was it not visible from their line of sight? A flare of jealousy coursed through him, and he used the passing wind as an excuse to wrap his arm possessively around her. A proud grin plastered on his face as Dara wrapped her arm around his waist, snuggling close to him as she continued chatting excitedly. He glanced back at the men just in time to catch their looks of disappointment.



Damn straight.....she's mine. Get your own goddess!



Namdaemun market was an explosion of capitalism, swapmeet style. Anything and everything was for sale...from souvenir trinkets and traditional garments to designer clothing....the shops stretched for miles and miles. Dried fish hanging from strings stood right next to a shop offering imitation designer wear, cameras next to novelty snacks, an explosion of accessories next to a Korean novelty souvenir shop, hanboks hung next to an eastern medicinal shop. Tourists and locals were mingling together for the common shopping experience. Jiyong's senses were overwhelmed with the sounds of the vendors haggling with potential buyers, advertising their goods.....the sights of the products, the scents of the various food items. After much walking, they arrived at the alley where all the food vendors had taken their positions. The aroma was intoxicating, the ambience bustling. People were walking up and down the alley, enjoying the enticing offerings of the various food carts, taking a break from the endless bargain hunting. Dara took a quick perusal to see which vendors were selling what then launched her attack.



Their first stop was at her all time favorite, dohkbokki. Steaming hot rice cakes drowning in a pool of lava-like red pepper sauce. Some vendors just sold the rice cakes alone, but Dara went for the vendor selling the mixture with ramen noodles and fish cakes. The scent was short of divine.



“Two please!” she said with a huge grin, holding her fingers up in a victory sign.



As they received their little bowls of piping treasure in exchange for their money, Dara let out a delighted squeal and dove right in.



“Mrmrmph,” she murmured in approval, rolling her eyes up in a food-induced .



Damn she even makes eating look y.



Jiyong shook his head, chuckled, and dove into his own bowl. He quickly understood her reaction. The concoction was absolutely sublime. The vendor was quick to proudly boast of their special red pepper paste secretly handed down her family line that was responsible for the perfect fusion of rice cake and fish cake. And the noodles just soaked the saucy goodness with every slurp.



They looked at each other, marveling at how this snack could taste so good, then laughed together.



“Wah! the BEST dohkbokki, ever! Gamsah Hamnida ajumma!” Jiyong bowed to the vendor, who chuckled and shooed them on their way.



Their next stop was a cart selling soondae, sausage made from pork intestines stuffed with cellophane noodles, pork blood, garlic and onions. This vendor boasted a special steaming method that ensured maximum moisture. The seasonings looked different from the usual salt and spices. The vendor said their special kick was a specially prepared fish flake added to the seasoning that rounded the flavor. They paid their money for a plate to share and quickly found themselves fighting over the last few pieces.



“I didn't eat anything at the reception!” she pouted.



“I'm bigger than you, I need more energy,” he teased as he grabbed the last bite and held it at his mouth.



She unleashed her aegyo puppy eyes, and he crumpled.



“Here, D.”



“Thanks, Jagi!” and kissed him on the cheek as she took the last bite.



Jiyong held his cheek and felt the warmth of her kiss spread into his chest. Jagi? That word was worth a dozen plates of soondae. He grinned like an idiot.



They moved onto their next destination, a cart selling piping hot corn on the cob skewered on a stick and fresh fruit to cleanse the palate in between the greasy ventures of the other carts. They bought one cob to share, but as he saw the ravenous expression on his girlfriend's face, Jiyong turned to buy another.



“YAAA!!!” he heard Dara yell.



Jiyong spun around to see two local thugs walking away with Dara's corn.



“I said hey, LOSER!” she shouted again, hurling her shoe at one of their heads. Direct hit.



They turned slowly around with annoyed expressions on their faces. Jiyong stood firmly beside Dara, preparing himself for a brawl over a silly vegetable snack. The one who got hit started back towards them.



“You're gonna regret that, little girl.”



“You're gonna regret stealing other people's food, !”



Jiyong cringed. He wasn't sure he could handle them both, but for her honor and her corn, he'd fight an army. He curled his fingers into fists, preparing for all hell to break loose. But as the shoe victim advanced towards them, he was surprised to see Dara step forward, her hands curled into little fists as well.



Before he could stop it, the man lunged at Dara...and Dara ducked, grabbing him by the neck to throw him to the floor in a perfect hapkido defense. She plucked at his eyes and kicked him in the groin. Busy with her attacker, she didn't see his friend coming up behind her. Jiyong moved in swiftly and met his face with the hardest punch he could manage. The guy had no chance, he slumped to the ground, knocked out.



“Damn, Dara. Where did that come from?”



“NO one takes my food!” she screamed, kicking her assailant in the nuts one last time. The other passerby applauded and the local authorities, who finally managed to arrive, quickly ushered them out of the alley after Dara revealed who she was and what she intended to do if they weren't handled properly.



“He's lucky I wasn't Bom unni! He'd be DEAD!” she screamed as he and his companion were taken away.



Jiyong stood dumbfounded, his mouth hanging open in shock. He was surprised and slightly .



“So, is this what you meant by you can take care of yourself?”



She grinned sheepishly.



“My dad made me take self defense in America. Paranoid about me getting . Guess he didn't count on me being outnumbered by the crew from the Hive, eh?”



“Well, that was an unfair advantage to anyone, even you, Master Park,” he bowed in mock respect.



She giggled as the vendor came up behind them and offered them two complimentary cobs of corn.



“Thank you, Miss Park. Those bullies have been harassing my customers for months!”



Dara grabbed the corn and bowed her head shyly. She handed one to Jiyong and they walked on, happily munching on their corn.



They moved from cart to cart, sampling an array of fish sticks, rice donuts with red bean paste in the middle, potato pancakes, raw squid, and anything else that met their fancy late into the night. Before they knew it, they had made their way up and down both sides of the alley, thoroughly stuffed.



“You good?”



“Mm,....yup!” she patted her nonexistent belly and chuckled.



“Good! I'm about to pop if I have to eat another thing!”



She laughed.



“Don't tell me I can out eat you,” she laughed.



“In some things, D.” he looked at her with a twinkle in his eye.


She swatted his arm lightly, “You !”



“What can I say, you're my favorite dessert,” he whispered into her ear.



She blushed, “Dr. Kwon....are you propositioning me in the middle of Namdaemun market place?”



He stopped walking and pulled her back into his embrace, gazing deeply into her eyes, “Anytime, anyplace....you're my personal aphrodisiac, D.”



“Jagiya,” she murmured.



His face flushed. That word again. The warmth of it amazed him.



“I like that you call me that, D.”



“I like to call you that, Jiyong.”



“Is the date over? I'd like to engage in the other activities you were talking about on the spa date.”



A soft moan escaped her as the vibration of his whisper sent shivers down her spine.



“Let's, go,” she murmured.


Jiyong's eyes lit up like a kid on Christmas.



Yes!



They reached his apartment after what seemed forever to Jiyong. It felt like the streets stretched themselves out just to torment him. They tumbled into the apartment in a jumble of arms and kisses. Dara fell onto the bed as Jiyong went to use the restroom. He opened the bathroom door excitedly only to find Dara fast asleep on the bed.



He smiled as she lay there, softly snoring in her food-coma. She was so beautiful. The image of her still took his breath away. He took off her shoes and tucked her in, kissing her softly on the head.



Taking an index card from the green bowl, he looked down at her and said, “You won't escape me so easily tomorrow, Dara.”



He dropped the card on the nightstand, the words “Beach Day” scrawled on it, and left the apartment quietly to prepare a special surprise for his butterfly.