Rehash

A Wistful Farewell

A Wistful Farewell: Chapter 2

________________________________

 
 

She liked him... she really did! But she knew that if this dinner date with Sehun went well, she was going to be doomed. Not necessarily like the dead type of doomed, but more like the 'falling in love' type of doomed. Although she had to admit, it was a courageous move on his part to invite her to dinner. She knew he had always wanted to invite her out, but he would always stumble upon his words and just give up.

Sehun reminded her of him. The way he basically courted her in the beginning and the way he acted towards her before they dated. It was all too familiar. The simple blush they both got when she approached them, the fumbling words as she tried to initiate a conversation, the way they looked at her when they thought she wasn't looking... it was all too familiar. But there was a difference between them that made BoA sure she wasn't using Sehun as a replacement for him.

For Yunho.

The difference was that Sehun wasn't Yunho. Despite all the similarities, he wasn't Yunho. 

"Deep in thought?"

BoA looked up from her desk and noticed Jinki standing there with a solemn look on his face. Jinki worked in the same department as her and she considered him one of her great friends. He was there for her when she went through a slump after her break-up with Yunho and he was there to support her when she gathered herself together and realized she was better off alone. She realized that calling him a great friend was wrong, no, he was a best friend. 

With a smile, she signaled for him to take the available seat in front of her.

“I know that look,” Jinki sighed as he closed the door and took the seat in front of her. He noticed the way her eyes got glossy whenever she thought of Yunho and he really hated that despite everything that happened… a part of her would always love Yunho.

“What look?” It seemed like playing innocent would be the better approach, but she noticed his hardened jaw and laughed nervously instead, “Okay, you caught me. But it’s not what you’re thinking of… not exactly anyway.”

“Enlighten me.”

“So there’s this guy…” She trailed off, looking to see how he would react, “And I may or may not be interested in him.”

A smile immediately placed itself on his face, “Which guy? Do I know him? Why have I never heard of him before? Are you keeping secrets from me now?”

“Just some guy.” BoA’s evasive response only made him more curious but she wouldn’t budge. Not when she wasn’t sure what Sehun actually meant to her or how they were going to turn out.

“At least tell me he’s better than Yunho!” It was almost like he was begging her, and she couldn’t help but laugh out loud.

“I don’t know if he’s better than him but I can assure you that I know what I’m doing and I won’t make the same mistake twice.”

“I trust that you won’t.”

An understanding smile was exchanged between the two and Jinki only hoped that this guy wouldn’t be like Yunho.

--

“I don’t know whether or not I’m prepared for her to be with another guy.” Jinki sighed deeply as he crashed on the sofa.

After his brief conversation with BoA, he was worried. Who was this guy that captured her interest? He only prayed that BoA wouldn’t end up hurt like before. Jinki thought back to when BoA was completely in a slump. She didn’t socialize with anyone, she didn’t go to work, she barely ate enough meals and worse, she was crying every night. It was so unlike her. He literally had to pry the information out of her in order to know what caused her to become that way. She only got better as time went by and with the support of friends and family. Jinki felt a pang in his heart as the memories became so vivid.

“I know I’ve asked this before but…” Changmin emerged from the kitchen with a plate of fish cakes and took the seat beside him, “Are you sure you’re not interested in BoA?”

Jinki immediately straightened and looked at him dead in the eye, “No.”

“You sure are awfully protective of her though.” Changmin was skeptical and Jinki just wanted to roll his eyes at his housemate. Who said boys and girls couldn’t simply be friends? Oh… that’s right. Shim Changmin.

“That is because she is my best friend. BoA has been through a lot thanks to someone,” A quick jab to Changmin before he continued, “And I don’t want to see her hurt like before.”

Changmin sighed, “I know Yunho hurt her before, but you’ve got to trust that she is fine and that she will be able to find her soulmate.” There was a part of Changmin that felt guilty whenever he saw BoA. Not because he was the one to hurt her, but it was him that introduced the two to each other.

“Yeah well, we all used to think that Yunho was her soulmate. Look at what happened there.”

“You never know, what if they are actually meant to be?”

--

It was 6:15pm and BoA couldn’t stop pacing around her room. She had no idea what to wear. It was ironic because her closet was filled with different types of clothing but she really did not know what to wear.

“I say wear a simple dress,” Again, Seohyun comes into her room without knocking on her door. But this time, she couldn’t be bothered to lecture her about privacy.

“What?”

“Word on the street is that you have finally accepted Oh Sehun’s proposal.”

BoA rolled her eyes at her sister, “The word going around my street is that I killed you, but hey, you’re still here.”

“So violent!” Seohyun dramatically placed her hands over feigning shock.

“Anyways,” BoA opened up her closet and scanned every piece of clothing in hopes of miraculously finding one that wasn’t there before, “I am so lost.”

“Simple, “ Seohyun dug her hand through the different dresses and pulled out a black dress, “I say this one. It’s simple but not too simple.”

The dress reached her knees—she wished she was taller—and had little diamonds on it. She could’ve sworn she never bought this dress but then again, she probably did and forgot all about it.

“For some reason, I can envision Sehun standing at the door with a stupid grin on his face.” Seohyun practically squealed at her and BoA fought back a grin.

“You’re being dramatic again.”

--

So maybe Seohyun wasn’t being dramatic because she was currently standing in front of Sehun and he did have a stupid grin on his face. Well, not stupid but moreso adorable. Sehun looked at her as if she was the most beautiful woman in the world and BoA felt knots in her stomach.

She missed this feeling.

“Y-you look beautiful, BoA.” Sehun managed to say as he looked at her with appraising eyes. He didn’t look bad himself. He was wearing a dress shirt and although quite plain, he somehow managed to shine.

Seohyun laughed out loud at him, clearly enjoying the scene in front of her, “Wow, you’re already dying seeing her in this simple dress, imagine her in a wedding dress!”

Sehun’s mouth immediately dropped whereas BoA shot a glare at her sister.

“I hope you know that you are so dead when I get home later.”

“I know.”

--

The waiter escorted BoA and Sehun to their table and gave them a few minutes with the menu. She had never been to this restaurant before but she was definitely going to come here more often now. The restaurant wasn’t one of those luxury ones but it did have its own sophisticated design and color.

“This place is nice!” She wasn’t sure what to say other than that because being with him alone made her nervous.

He nodded and smiled, “I’ve only been here once before but I knew that I had to take you here. The food and staff are really nice, plus, it’s a lot cheaper than you think.” They both laughed at his comment and she felt less tense.

“Who did you come here with before? Girlfriend?” BoA teased in an attempt to lighten up the atmosphere even more.

Sehun looked at her, “Why? Jealous?”  

The way he was looking at her… it was as if they were the only ones in the restaurant, or on this planet. She recognized the look. It was the look Yunho had given her before he confessed his feelings to her. BoA hated how she would always think of Yunho. Absolutely hated it. But he was such a huge part of her life before that she couldn’t help it.

She quickly tried to banish any thought about Yunho and focused on Sehun. It wasn’t fair to be thinking of Yunho while on a date with Sehun, someone that clearly likes her.

“Are you okay?” He noticed her blank stare and bit his lip out of habit, “I was just teasing you.”

BoA blinked a few times before smiling at him, “Sorry, I was just thinking of something. But what do you recommend from this menu?”

Before Sehun could reply, another male’s voice interrupted their conversation. A voice all too familiar to BoA.

“Well, I would recommend the sirloin steak, I hear it’s really good here.”

She quickly turned around and felt as if someone had knocked the wind out of her. This man… the familiar soft smile, the sharp features on his face, the tall and muscular build…

Yunho.