Denial

A Wistful Farewell

A Wistful Farewell: Chapter 1

________________________________

 

BoA has always been the straight-forward type of person. She hated beating around the bush and she absolutely hated it when people weren’t upfront with her. Due to her personality, none of her previous relationships managed to last for more than a month. However, there was one relationship which lasted for over two years, but that ended up in shambles as well. She often wondered whether she was destined to be alone forever.  Her friends have tried to play matchmaker as well but their efforts proved to be futile as BoA kindly rejected all of the potential candidates.

But everything changed when she met Oh Sehun.

In all her years of dating, she has never dated a younger man. Call it being old-fashioned but she believed that in a relationship the man should be older. Dating a guy that’s younger would feel like dating a younger brother. No? Of course this was not correct.

She’s 26 and he’s 20. Barely legal. Was she robbing the cradle? Her friends insisted that he’s an adult and is old enough for her. BoA wanted to listen to their advice but she felt insecure with herself. Sehun was not only extremely kind, he was also good-looking and came from a well-off family. These qualities and assets he possessed would allow him to date whichever girl he wanted. But why did he want her? Her, of all people? She was convinced it was a joke. A cruel joke.  But deep down she knew it really wasn’t a joke.

--

“So!” Seohyun’s voice interrupts her train of thought and she notices that Seohyun has barged into her room without knocking, “How’s Sehun nowadays? Still sending you roses--” A smirk was sent her way and BoA immediately glares at her younger sister.

BoA quickly interjects before Seohyun can fish out information, “You have his number. Go text him and ask him how he is yourself. Oh, and next time knock first before you enter.”

Seohyun puffs her cheeks in a child-like manner and her eyes brighten, “But we all know the one he’s interested in is not me, but you.” She was right, but BoA would rather die than admit to it.

Choosing to feign ignorance, BoA just smiles at her sister, “What are you talking about? I have no idea.”

“Ah, the sweet smell of denial.” Seohyun sniffs the air dramatically, which causes BoA to send a pillow into her direction.

--

“BoA noona!” Sehun runs up to her and he’s breathing heavily, “Didn’t you hear me calling you from over there?” A quick point to the block down the street causes BoA to realize that Sehun ran quite the distance to catch up to her. His eyesight must be perfect!

“No I’m sorry, I really didn’t,” BoA smiles sheepishly at the young man before her, suddenly feeling shy under his intense gaze, “Was there something you needed?”

He nods and notices that BoA’s having trouble maintaining eye-contact with him, “Would you like to grab dinner later? I heard you got a promotion at work.”

“Ah, how did you know?” BoA didn’t know why she even bothered to ask, it was obvious that Seohyun told him.

“Your sister.” Bingo.

An awkward silence fills the air and BoA just wants to crawl into a hole. She’s aware that Sehun likes her, heck, he makes it clear to her every day! But she honestly wasn’t confident enough. Sehun’s perfect but she really didn’t want to ruin their friendship by dating him and then having them breaking up because of her faults.

Sehun has calmed down from the mini-run but for some reason, his heart is still beating fast. But then again, it has always been like this around BoA. From the first time he met her, he immediately felt an attraction to her. Forget the age difference and what society thought. All he knew was that BoA was the one. The problem was BoA. Despite her subtle hints telling him she didn’t feel the same way, he knew she did. Call it his gut feeling but he knew she felt something for him.  But she’s in denial.

“So is that a yes to dinner?” He looked hopeful.

BoA gulped, suddenly dry. A warning went off in her head. Should she accept? But she really didn’t want to lead him on. But then again, she didn’t have the heart to reject his offer.

Noticing the conflicting look on her face, Sehun places his hands on her shoulders, “I’ll pick you up around 7. And no, you don’t have a say in this.”

Speechless. He always manages to leave her speechless.

And it’s not necessarily a bad thing.


_________________________________

Author’s Note:

WOW. I knew that starting a chaptered-fic was hard, but I didn’t know it’d be this difficult. I was racking my brain ‘cause I really didn’t know how to start chapter one. Sorry that it’s off to a sloppy start. I promise it’ll get better.

Onew and some other characters will appear in the next chapter. Yunho will make his grand appearance as well. Although he’s briiiiiefly mentioned already (ahem).

Anyway, I hope it wasn’t too bad.