one;;

Vanity Scare
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sena smiled as she placed down the last box onto the wooded floors of her new apartment. “This is perfect,” she beamed to herself. She turned to the older man. “Thanks for helping me move in ahjussi.”

The man brushed the dust off his hands on his pants and gave Sena a smile in return. “Ah, it was nothing. It’s a shame that your mother couldn’t come with us and help you settle in.”

Sena shook her head. “Umma and ahjumma are busy with the shop. You should probably get back and help them as well. I can take it from here.”

“Are you sure?” The man tilted his head as he scanned the floor that had been transformed into a maze of boxes.

“I’m sure.”

“Alright, take care of yourself while you’re living here, okay? Just remember that home is just an hour away.”

“Neh,” she beamed. “You and ahjumma take care as well. Please watch over umma for me.”

Ahjussi chuckled and gave her a playful salute. “I’ll be going now.”

Sena walked him back downstairs to his car and wave him off as he drove out of sight.

Once he was gone, Sena heaved a sigh. She was now living on her own. “Aja Kim Sena. You can do this.” She cheered herself on. But truth be told, she didn’t know if she really could.

She didn’t have much confidence that she’d be fine on her own. Especially now since she was in the unfamiliar place.

She closed her eyes and thought about her mother. How proud her mother was when Sena had landed a job in the city right after college. She was truly blessed.

Sena took one last look down the street where her parents old family friend’s truck had disappeared to before turning away and walking back up to her new home.

She entered the pass-code to her apartment and opened the door. She internally groaned as she stared at all the boxes.

She figured she should start unpacking her things before anything else.

The apartment was a fair size. Not too big, but not too small.

The front door led to the living room which had white, matted popcorn walls, a large window that over looked the neighborhood and dark, hardwood floors. There was an archway on the left that led to the kitchen and dining area. On the left of the living room there were two doors that led to the bed and bathroom.

Sena decided to unpack a couple of boxes that contained sheets, comforters, pillows and curtains for the bedroom. She and the older man had worked together and brought up the heavy furniture earlier and now all she had to do was to arrange furniture and unpack according to her taste.

Once she was done with her bedroom, she went ahead and unpacked boxes of clothes. She smiled upon remembering her mother nagging her to organize her clothes according to category while packing them in boxes so that it would be more convenient when it was time to take them out. Sena was glad she had heeded her mother’s advice.

First she unpacked her casual clothing and folded them away into drawers and then she continued to hang up her more formal clothes that she had especially prepared for work so to not let the wrinkles set in.

When she was finally done with that, Sena proceeded back to the living room where she saw her boxes of shoes. She pressed her lips in a firm line trying to decide where she would put them. She snapped as she remembered the she could put them in the coat closet near the front door.

Happily, she pushed the box towards the door and opened it.

“Oh,” she said quietly when she had glanced in the dark closet. Her hand reached up to turn on the switch which a light that illuminated the dark closet. To her surprise, there

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter