Beneath the Summer Sun (Final)

Salty Lips & Late Night Dips

22: Beneath the Summer Sun
 




Words could not describe the way Tao felt when he woke up at 4am the following morning. Kris was lying in bed next to him, the moonlight streaming in through the blinds and casting shadows about the surfer’s bedroom. 

 

Today was the day. 

 

The competition. 

 

His last day on the island. 

 

His last day with Kris. 

 

It’d taken nearly everything he had not to cry his eyes out while they’d made love for the second time that night. Tao watched Kris sleeping soundly, the other's lips slightly parted as his chest rose and fell rhythmically. Despite his looming sadness, Tao smiled gently. 

 

Today he would have to leave Kris. 

 

But that didn’t mean he'd have to stay away forever. 

 

 

- 



 

Later that morning, Tao decided to do something special and cooked breakfast, and he was pretty damn good at it for someone who’d never picked up a spatula. 

 

“Did you really make all this?” Kris crammed half a pancake into his mouth. 

 

Tao flipped another perfectly golden pancake in the frying pan. “It’s not so bad if you follow the directions on the pancake box.” 

 

Kris snorted. “Yeah, well… it’s not my fault the recipe is like… ten miles long.” 

 

“Ten miles long?” Tao grabbed the box and pointed at the recipe printed on the side. “It has three stepsCombine with one cup of milk, stir until thoroughly mixed, then fry in a lightly oiled pan at medium heat until golden brown on each side. 

 

“Like I said…” replied Kris around a mouthful of pancake, “ten miles long.” 

 

Rolling his eyes, Tao resumed cooking. “From now on, I’m in charge of cooking.” 

 

The kitchen was silent. Would there be a from now on? Tao liked the thought of cooking meals for them. In an odd way, it made him feel needed, like he was contributing to something greater. 

 

“I’d like that,” managed Kris. 

 

Tao smiled as he scooped the last pancake onto his own plate and turned off the burner. “Really? I think so too.” 

 

They spent the following hour eating breakfast and talking. It wasn’t until 9 am rolled around that Tao realized he needed to go home and pack while Kris needed to head out to the competition grounds. 

 

“I guess we should probably go…” Kris finished drying off their plates and stashing them in the cupboard. 

 

“Right. We should get ready.” 

 

“I’ll drop you by your house along the way?” 

 

Tao nodded, words somehow dying in the back of his throat. It would be his final ride in Kris’ Jeep. 

 

And just when he was starting to get used to the reggae music too. 

 

 

- 



 

Kris talked about any and everything on the way to Tao’s house. He could tell that Tao was barely keeping it together. Even Kris, himself, was having a hard time, but he was determined that their last moments wouldn’t be an absolute mess. He couldn’t send Tao off sobbing and crying. He wouldn’t be able to handle it. 

 

Kris pulled into the driveway and parked the Jeep. Mr. Huang was already walking down the driveway by the time they exited the vehicle. “I was worried, Tao. I wish you would've called.” Mr. Huang wasn’t happy but there was a gentleness to his tone that normally wasn’t there. He was concerned for Tao. 

 

“Sorry,” provided Tao, response void of any explanation. 

 

“We went out,” Kris added. He looked to Tao, debating on whether he should elaborate. 

 

Mr. Huang beat him to it. “On a date, right?” 

 

If it weren’t for his own shock, Kris would've laughed at Tao’s horrified, my-life-is-over reaction. 

 

“You knew?” Tao gawked. 

 

Mr. Huang grinned widely while folding his arms. “I may be old but I’m not blind. Before you came to the island, your mother mentioned that you might be… how should I put it… special? Plus you two weren’t exactly discrete.” Tao looked as though he wanted to crawl beneath the Jeep and die. “Tao, it’s fine. Your mother and I love you very much. And Kris…” The surfer tensed as Mr. Huang motioned toward him, “…seems like a good guy. We just want you to be happy.” 

 

Damn. And here Kris thought they’d done a good job of keeping their relationship on the down-low (minus the little incident with the security guards, of course). 

 

 “However…” Mr. Huang turned serious, “the next time you plan on not coming home, tell me. I didn’t get a wink of sleep last night because I was worried about you.” 

 

Finally, Tao regained his composure. “That’s… fair.” 

 

“Well of course it is. I am the most fair dad ever.” Mr. Huang grinned. 

 

Tao groaned. “Oh my goooood! Please tell me you we haven’t reached the level of comfort that allows you to constantly embarrass me.” 

 

Mr. Huang chuckled. “Maybe. Maybe not. Guess you’ll have to wait and find out.” 

 

This warranted more groans from Tao, to which Kris laughed despite his own embarrassment. 

 

“Well!” clapped the elder, “It’s time to get you packed and ready! Your plane leaves in four hours.” 

 

Four hours? Kris looked to Tao worriedly who appeared apologetic in return. 

 

“Sorry,” said Tao, “I might not be able to make it for the entire thing. I’ll be there as soon as I can. So you better hold off and keep winning rounds until I get there.” 

 

A soft smile crept across Kris’ lips. “Anything for my Surfing Model.” 

 

 

- 



 

"Wow. You really do have a lot of clothes," stated Baekhyun at he flipped through the hangers in Tao's closet, "How did you bring all of this stuff on the airplane?" 

 

"Very carefully," replied Tao as he raided his underwear drawer, "But I'm not taking all of it back with me." 

 

Baekhyun turned to face his friend. "Oh? Well that's good to hear." 

 

"Hn." 

 

"So... what should I pull from this monstrosity of a closet?" 

 

"Sandals, shorts, t-shirts, and a couple pair of jeans. The jewelry can stay. I don't really care about that." 

 

Tao enjoyed the loose-fitting island clothes and simple t-shirts. In fact, he preferred them over his tight designer jeans and fancy, name-brand tops. As far as he was concerned, that could stay. 

 

Pulling out a few items, Baekhyun neatly folded them and placed them next to Tao's suitcase. "You're entering your senior year of high school, right?" Tao nodded. "What are your plans after that?" 

 

"I'm not sure. My grades are alright but I'm not really good at anything. I'd like to go to college, I guess. Maybe I should take some time off to figure it out?" 

 

Baekhyun nodded thoughtfully. "You could do that. But just be careful. I know a lot of people who said they were gonna do that but then never actually went to college. Maybe you could take some basic courses while you figure out what you wanna do?" 

 

Tao's back was facing Baekhyun. "Um... speaking of college... are there any good ones here on the island?" Tao swore he could feel Baekhyun grinning. 

 

"There's the community college. They offer some basic degrees, diplomas, and courses. If you're wanting more than that, the university is located on the next island over." 

 

Well that wasn't so bad. Tao felt a whole lot better knowing that he could go to college and still be close to his dad, friends, and Kris. Maybe Luhan would let him work part-time at the surf shop? Tao shook his head. He could think about those things later. Right now he needed to focus on getting his things packed so he could get to the surfing competition. 

 

"Let's hurry. I'd like to get there sooner than later," said Tao. 

 

"I'm on it, Tao-Tao!" 

 

 

- 



 

"Daaaad! Hurry up!" Tao paced back and forth at the bottom of the stairs. 

 

"I'm coming!" Mr. Huang fumbled with Tao's heavy suitcase as he came down the stairs. "Get to the car. I'll be there in a second." 

 

Tao all but bolted to his dad's car and flung himself inside. Baekhyun had been a life saver. If it weren't for him stopping by, he'd still be packing right now. Tao bounced his leg impatiently as his dad rolled the suitcase around the car and put it in the trunk. 

 

Mr. Huang slid into the driver's seat. "I called ahead and spoke to Luhan. He said the place is packed and there was a mix up with the parking permits. Looks like we're going to have to park and walk." 

 

"Whatever. Let's just get there." 

 

It was already two hours into the competition, and Tao and his dad still had to take the ferry over to the next island. They were going to be cutting it extremely close. 

 

Tao said a little prayer as they pulled out of the driveway and started down the road. 

 

 

- 



 

His heart sank into his stomach. The area around the event was packed. Cars were sandwiched right next to each another, while people walked all over the road and around multiple vendors and merch booths. Tao took what was probably his 1000th view of the dashboard clock and swallowed down the lump in his throat. They were late, and if they didn't leave soon, he'd probably miss his flight. 

 

"Tao... there's no way," stated his father. 

 

"I..." Tao's breathing escalated, "I have to at least say goodbye. I have to see him before I go." 

 

"Get out." 

 

"What?" 

 

"Get out. Go." Mr. Huang leaned across Tao and opened the passenger door. "Say your goodbyes but make it quick. Then come find me." 

 

Tao launched out of the vehicle, slammed the door shut, and ran as fast as he could toward the beach. Over the crowd and the wind he could hear the distant echo of the announcer and thought he heard Kris' name. He squirmed around the people on the beach, muttering breathless apologizes as he frantically searched for a glimpse of Kris. 

 

"Alright, guys. Long term rivals Kris Wu and Kim Jongin are battling it out here in the final heat!" 

 

Tao's head snapped up as his eyes scanned the surf. The two surfers were floating atop the most gigantic swells he'd ever seen in his life. A patch of blonde hair suddenly caught his eye. Kris! Tao found himself jumping and screaming out the surfer's name, but the roar of the waves drowned out any effort to contact him. 

 

Someone bumped Tao's shoulder. "Fashionably late I see." 

 

"Minseok!" 

 

"Isn't your flight in an hour?" 

 

"Yeah..." 

 

Minseok patted him on the shoulder. "You're just in time for the final set. Kris and Jongin are pretty much duking it out right now. This next ride will determine the competition." With brow furrowed, Tao trained his gaze back to the waves. "Here..." Minseok presented Tao with a pair of binoculars, "I'll go find the others and let them know you're here." 

 

Tao held the binoculars up to his eyes and began watching. 

 

 

- 



 

Kris tried to regain his breath and right his mind. So far he'd managed to hold off, just like Tao had wanted, but he was highly distracted. The beach held his attention more than the waves. Was Tao out there watching him? Had he made it? Or had he missed him? The possibility that he might not get to see Tao once more sapped him of energy. But he had to hold on – for Tao, for his father's legacy, and for himself. 

 

Taking a deep breath, Kris turned his board toward the incoming waves. He could do this. From the corner of his eye, he saw Jongin, looking just as worn out as he did. Throughout the years Jongin had been the biggest jerk toward him, but now... out here in the ocean on their own... right in the middle of the biggest surfing competition on the island... Kris was glad that Jongin was here. 

 

Each of them had something to prove – Kris wanted to win the competition for his deceased father, while Jongin wanted to win for the sake of keeping the victory within the family line. Their fathers had always been rivals. And now, having seen the look on Jongin's face, Kris wondered if perhaps his father had felt what he was feeling right now – determination, fear, excitement, and worry. Patting the top of his father's surfboard, Kris smiled. "This is for you, dad. I'm gonna ride this board all the way into shore, just like you wanted." 

 

Suddenly, a large swell made its way in and Kris turned his board, readied to mount it, but at the last moment let it pass. He saw Jongin drop into the forming wave but didn't let it bother him. Something had told him not to go. He still had time to catch one last wave. It needed to be a good one. His next ride had to be perfect in order to beat Jongin's score. 

 

What would Tao be thinking right now if he was watching him? Kris realized just how badly he wanted to win that trophy for Tao. With renewed vigor, he became serious and calculative as he scrutinized the incoming waves. He was going to win this . End of story. 

 

The perfect wave, possibly the best one of the entire day, began making its way inland. This wave had his name on it. Turning his board around, Kris laid across it and began paddling like a madman. His long arms dug into the water harder than they ever had before, and when the time was just right, he stood up and dropped into the wave. 

 

Kris held his breath. 

 

The board skimmed across the water as he curved downwards. 

 

Salt water stung his skin. 

 

A deafening roar filled his ears. 

 

The wave curled around him, shielding him from the sunlight as he stared dead ahead, determined to make it through the monstrous clutches of the ocean. 

 

The opening narrowed more and more. 

 

He wasn't going to make it. 

 

He was going to get under. 

 

This was going to be it. 

 

But just as he felt the world crashing in around him, the wave gave way and he popped out of the other side, nerves shredded and eyes wide with disbelief. 

 

He'd done it. 

 

He'd surfed a perfect half-pipe. 

 

Using the remnants of the wave, Kris road his father's board into shore and walked up the sand, feeling dazed. A flurry of cameras and people rushed at him, ing their mics into his face and asking him a storm of questions that he wasn't prepared to answer. 

 

And then he saw him. 

 

Tao had made it. 

 

Kris moved to step forward but the people around him blocked his exit. Frustrated, he realized that there was nowhere for him to go. 

 

Tao's eye-crinkling smile was as bright as the summer sun, and it was with a gut-wrenching sensation that Kris noticed the tears streaming down Tao's face. 

 

"I have to go," mouthed the other. 

 

Kris felt his breath hitch but reeled in his emotions as best as he could in front of the cameras. "Okay," he silently replied, grin bittersweet, "I'll be seeing you." 

 

Luhan popped into view and tugged on Tao's shoulder, expression urgent. Kris guessed that he was telling Tao to hurry, but the raven-haired youth wouldn’t budge. It took the additional help of Minseok and Sehun to pull him away. 

 

With one final glance, Tao looked back he was being pulled away by their friends and mouthed, "I love you." Kris was momentarily shocked, then the teen finished off his admission by flipping him the bird, and with a tearful smirk added, "." 

 

In front of dozens of cameras and reporters, Kris laughed until the tears spilled over his bottom lashes, not even caring that he'd just won his first pro-surfing competition. 

 

 

- 



 

"Do you have everything?" asked Tao's father. 

 

Tao was such a chaotic jumble of emotions that he'd been rendered dead near comatose, or at least, that's how he felt. He nodded. 

 

"You've gotta ping us on Skype and let us know how you're doing," said Minseok. 

 

"Yeah," Sehun pitched in, "I wanna know if you're gonna revert back to your ugly clothes and city ways." 

 

Luhan elbowed Sehun in the side. "I swear, kiddo. You can't read people for ." 

 

Tao cleared his scratchy throat. "Do me a favor and tell Yixing and Jongdae that I said goodbye. And tell Baekhyun thanks again for helping me pack." 

 

"Sure thing," replied Luhan, "You sure you're going to be alright?" 

 

Tao nodded. Was he going to be okay? He sure as hell didn't feel like it but... he had to be. He needed to make it through this last year of high school. Hell, he'd survived the ocean and Jongdae's martinis. He could survive anything now, right? 

 

Over the airport intercom system, the warning call for his flight was announced, and before he could muster up another word, he was swallowed up by a lung-crushing group hug. 

 

"You take care of yourself, you hear?" instructed his father. 

 

"Keep in touch." Minseok gave him a comforting squeeze on the shoulder. 

 

"Good luck with your..." Sehun mumbled, "… stuff... or whatever." 

 

"Your better call me," Luhan said as they all broke apart. 

 

Taking a deep breath, Tao righted his suitcase. "See you guys." He turned and hustled toward the security checkpoint before he could change his mind. He didn't look back as he went through all of the security measures. Nor did he look back as he presented his boarding pass to the stewardess and entered the hallway that led to the plane. 

 

Kris wasn't coming. 

 

He was leaving. 

 

And that's all there was to it. 

 

Tao found his seat by the window and stashed his suitcase in the above compartment. After sitting, he made it a point to stare at the back of the seat in front of him. 

 

He began counting the fibers, if that was even possible, anything to keep him distracted from how he felt. 

 

He started counting backwards from a thousand when the captain ordered everyone to be seated and they began their leisurely ride into position on the runway. 

 

He closed his eyes and focused on his breathing as the plane picked up speed and his weight pushed into the back of his seat. 

 

Finally Tao couldn't stand himself anymore and looked out of the window. The island was slowly slipping away and being replaced by blue water. The farther away they got, the deeper the gap in Tao's heart seemed to widen. Frantically, he pulled the MP3 player and earbuds from his pocket. It was the same MP3 player he'd lent to Baekhyun. 

 

"Something tells me you're gonna need this more than me." Baekhyun had said earlier that day as he'd handed over the device. "I took the liberty of adding some more music for you." 

 

Pressing the power button, Tao quickly located the new music, pushed play, and closed his eyes. The instant the melody hit his ears, any strength he'd been holding onto evaporated into nothing. 

 

Tao fell completely apart inside the cabin of the airplane. And nothing, not even the flight attendant asking him if he was okay, could make him feel any less heartbroken while listening to the ridiculous ing reggae music Kris seemed to like so much. 

 

 

- 
-
-

 

 

Almost one year later... 
 

 

Tao exited the airport and inhaled a lungful of fresh, sweet, island air. He rolled his decidedly light suitcase to the end of the curb and smiled as Luhan's car made its way down the line. 

 

"TAAAAAOOOOOO!" Jongdae was hanging out of the back passenger window while waving his arms. 

 

When the vehicle pulled up, Tao couldn't help but smile. In the passenger seat was his father, wearing the same ridiculous floral t-shirt from last summer. In the back sat Baekhyun, beaming at up him with a knowing expression. Next to him sat Yixing, dimpled smile just as heartwarming as Tao had remembered it. And next to him was... wait... no way in hell! 

 

"SEHUN?" exclaimed Tao. The individual sure as hell looked like Sehun but was void of his signature, rainbow-colored noggin. Instead, the teen had traded his rainbow locks for a light-brown hue instead. 

 

Luhan leaned across Mr. Huang as he spoke through the passenger window. "Suits him, doesn't it?" 

 

Tao laughed. "I guess! I almost didn't recognize him!" 

 

Sehun's snort of annoyance proved that he was, indeed, the same bratty Sehun. 

 

"Where the hell am I supposed to sit?" asked Tao, "The roof of the car?" 

 

"We figured we'd stash you in the trunk," replied a snarky Baekhyun. 

 

"Haa-haa," Tao droned, "I'm not sitting on anyone's lap. That's for damn sure." 

 

Luhan pulled the lever that popped the trunk. "Throw your stuff in the back and squish in between Baek and Sehun. There's someone waiting for you back at the surf shop." 

 

Tao's stomach did a nervous flip. 

 

 

- 



 

Several cars littered the parking lot of the Black Pearl Surf Shop. Tao hoped that business had been good for Luhan. Over the past year, he hadn’t asked much about the shop, mostly because he’d missed it so much that it'd been hard to talk about. But now, being here after all this time, Tao felt like he was finally home again. 

 

They exited Luhan's car and began walking across the gravel lot. And then there it was – the white JeepTao in a breath of air. They were so close right now. Any moment and he'd see Kris again. He'd be able to talk to him and laugh with him and touch him and probably punch him in the face. 

 

this. 

 

Tao said to hell with pride and took off running, not even caring about the chorus of laughter from his friends behind him. 

 

Tao's foot his the doormat. 

 

He pulled open the door. 

 

He stepped inside and... 

 

"SURPRISE!" 

 

The lights , revealing an entire shop full of friends and fellow surfers. Balloons covered the entire ceiling while the sales racks had been moved to make room for guests, refreshments, and a sound system. Tao didn't know what to say and ended up standing there like a befuddled idiot. 

 

"Feels good to be home doesn't it Tao-Tao?" Baekhyun clapped a hand to his shoulder. 

 

Surprisingly, Jongin was the first of the partygoers to approach. "Glad you made it back, Taozi.Thcocky surfer smirked. "Your boyfriend has been getting on my nerves. If he asked me to go surfing with him one more time, I was going to drown him and blame it on the Loch Ness monster." 

 

Tao wasn't sure how to feel about Kris and Jongin surfing together. That was their thing. But he supposed it was understandable. Kris had probably been just as lonely he'd been over the past several months. Plus it was good to know that the two rival surfers had settled their differences, or at least, had reached a truce. 

 

Looking about the shop, Tao recognized a whole slew of people – Junmyeon, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo… everyone was here. Everyone except… 

 

“Alright guys. Taozi is here with a purpose. Let the man through,” Luhan commanded. Tao swallowed hard and looked toward Luhan worriedly. “Relax, kiddo," added the shop owner, "He’s waiting for you on the beach.” 

 

Tao made his nervous trek toward to back entrance of the surf shop, smiling politely as random people patted his shoulders and extended their “welcome backs” and “good to see you agains. 

 

None of that mattered as he opened the door, stepped onto the white sand, and kicked off his sandals. The sand between his toes seemed to root him in his resolve, and his feet took on a life of their own, carrying him toward the surf with the wind at his heels. 

 

First he saw ruffled, blonde hair. 

 

Then a white t-shirt contrasted perfectly by sun-kissed skin. 

 

As Tao finally came to stand before the person who’d changed his entire life for the better, the individual turned around, and flashed a crooked, pearly-white smile. 

 

Nothing but the slosh of the ocean rang in Tao’s ears as he gazed upon Kris beneath a golden sunset. 

 

Emotions flew in all at once, and Tao instantly connected his fist with Kris’ shoulder. 

 

“OW! WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT F—“ 

 

Tao slammed his lips against Kris’, holding him close, almost wishing that he would squeeze the life out of him for being such a perfect jerk. Their kiss was passionate but soon became gentle as Kris pulled him closer and ran his fingers through his hair. Emotions rolled in and out like the rise and fall of the waves, until finally their air was spent and they broke apart. 

 

Tao leaned his head against Kris’ shoulder, determined not to cry, only to find that the tears had already come. “I missed you so much.” 

 

Kris’ voice trembled as he held Tao even closer. “I missed you too, Taozi.” 

 

And as the scent of vanilla and coconuts took over Tao’s senses, he realized this was exactly where he needed to be... 

 

right here in Kris’ arms... 

 

beneath the summer sun. 

 

 

 

 

The End.