Scintilla: Prologue

Eigengrau
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Scintilla (n.) - a tiny, brilliant flash or spark

 

 

JONGIN2010

 

I stared in awe at the television screen. "Jongin! Junmyeon! Kyungsoo! Have you finished packing up?" I heard our mother shout from upstairs, "Yeah!" We all said in unison. "Okay! I'll be there in a minute!" She responded. 

I didn't know what to feel, it was my first time riding an airplane. I felt excited, yet at the same time, I was terrified. Our aunt in China is sick with cancer, and we ended up needing to visit her. I didn't exactly want her to die and go to heaven as soon as possible, because, I'm not that harsh. I was just uninterested.

"I heard there's a dance audition in China." The eldest, Junmyeon, checked some website on his phone. "Really? When?" I responded positively. "Tomorrow? Wait, let me check. This will be a perfect opportunity for you to showcase your talent!" Junmyeon seemed more adrenalized than I was. I chuckled, "Stop it. You're making me blush." He pinched my cheek and ruffled my hair.

"Soo, how about you? What would you like to do when we arrive in China?" Junmyeon turned to Kyungsoo. "I don't know, I want to see the sights. Mind coming with me?"

"No, not at all. I'll go with you." Kyungsoo smiled at Junmyeon's reply. "I want to come too!" I begged them.

"Only if you pass the audition." Junmyeon said, "But, Junmyeon," I tried to protest, but he shushed me anyway. Our mother rushed down from the stairs and managed to speak aloud,  "Let's go."

Junmyeon stacked up all of our passports. Because as they say, Junmyeon is the responsible one. Kyungsoo's the kind one. And I'm just here, being the sour fruit, I practically am nothing.

After about three hours of uncomfortable nap time in the taxi, we arrived at the airport. Junmyeon went with mom to buy the plane tickets for us. Kyungsoo and I wandered around, looking for food. We eventually found a pastry shop, our eyes widened in awe. "Oh, the sweet look of those cupcakes." Kyungsoo whispered.

We bought four cupcakes. Kyungsoo hopped happily behind me, while I walked swiftly. Junmyeon smiled at the box and opened his mouth in shock. "Cupcakes?" Junmyeon asked. Kyungsoo and I nodded together. Junmyeon hugged me tightly and sobbed. He had not eaten a cupcake in years. Junmyeon must have felt very happy. 

"Look at the eldest fussing over a small cupcake." Kyungsoo laughed. Junmyeon stuck his tongue out and hugged me even tighter. "Well? Are we going to eat these cupcakes or are we just going to cuddle?" I joked. 

Junmyeon eventually separated us from the death hug, as I call it. With a full mouth, he spoke, "I'm so worried about our aunt."

Kyungsoo silently gobbled his cupcake. I responded to Junmyeon's statement, "Yeah, me too." Even though I was not.

A few minutes later, we boarded the plane and found our seats. Junmyeon and mom were two rows in front of us, Kyungsoo and I sat beside each other. Junmyeon stood up and whispered to us, "Keep safe. I love you."

I adore Junmyeon's smile; it is gentle.

"Oh, please, Junmyeon. It's not like we're going to die or

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter