Fate Left a Mark

Fate Left a Mark

Fate Left a Mark

Your POV

I walked through the front door and plopped myself onto the couch. Another agonizing day at school and what made it worse was that I had a ton of homework to do. At least it was the weekend, and to my advantage it was a holiday weekend. My family and I always spent our holiday weekends at my grandparents’ place which was about two hours from where I lived. I like where I live, to be honest. But I lived in the city; it gets tiring after a while. My grandparents live in a serene little town a couple hours away from here. One reason why I always cherished my holiday weekends. I was happy to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city, even if it was only going to be for a moment.

I started my homework knowing that I wasn’t going to be doing it over the weekend, also I wanted most of the time at my grandparents to be spent doing something I wanted to do rather than wasting it on pointless busywork  that all my teachers have decided to assign. Finally after dinner I finished my torturous workload and headed to my room. I was exhausted and fell over onto my bed. “I can’t wait to get out of here,” I whispered to myself.

“Honey!” my mom called out from downstairs.

“Yeah?” I yelled out wondering what this was about.

“Don’t forget to pack! We’re leaving first thing in the morning!” she proceeded to inform me as I let out a big “OK!”

It was late as I started to pack. Nothing out of the ordinary for me, I always did everything late. I finished packing and crashed on the bed hoping that the morning would come quickly.

His POV

The holiday weekend approached and I wondered what I should do? It seemed that work has died down so it actually gave me a little freedom to choose what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go for the long weekend. I sat there tapping the pen on the table. “Yes!” I said to myself. I decided to go to my brother’s apartment a few hours from here, it was quiet there and I hadn’t seen my brother in a long time. I smiled to myself as I called my brother up and asked about his weekend plans. He told me he had no plans and that I was always welcome, so I decided to take up the opportunity. I packed my things and decided to head out first thing in the morning. I was looking forward to this.

Your POV

I woke up to the constant moving around of the family as they packed up the car getting ready to leave. It seems that my alarm didn’t help any in waking me up so I didn’t really have time to get ready. I slipped on some sweatpants, a loose tank, and a beanie. I lugged my stuff to the car and took out my sketchbook and my ipod, I couldn’t go anywhere without these. We headed off to my grandparents’ house in no time, thank God that my mother stopped at Starbucks or I wouldn’t have survived. I sipped on my Starbucks in the car as my brother slept in the seat across from me. I turned my ipod on and started to doodle in my sketchbook to pass the time. Even though it was early I couldn’t help but smile, something was different.

We arrived at my grandparents’ place just in time for lunch. We unpacked and spent the rest of the day socializing. After dinner I helped my grandmother with the dishes.

“You know sweetie, I was your age once,” she started off softly.

I smiled, “I know Grandma,” I replied as she continued to talk.

“I know you would like some time to yourself,” she looked at me and saw my eyes light up at the thought, “so there’s a coffee shop a few blocks from here across the bridge in a nice little park, it’s where your grandfather and I met,” she smiled shyly to herself.

I paused at the thought of such a glorious place, sounded like something from a fairytale, “Really?” I stood in a daze. She nodded and continued to rinse off the dishes that we finished. That night I decided to go check it out. I walked the path she told me to and across the bridge. I walked a little while longer, “No way,” I thought. I walked towards the small cottage like coffee shop, it was around 10 and they were still open. I could smell the scent of fresh coffee. I was happy that I brought my sketchbook and ipod with me as always, I decided to give this place a try.

His POV

I finally arrived at my bros house and I greeted him with a hug. I hadn’t seen him in the longest time, I was just happy that he remembered me. We spent the day catching up on everything that we had missed while we were out of touch. As it became late I went to my room and happily unpacked.

“Hey man, I know how you like to chill at Starbucks and write and stuff but there isn’t one here,” he said while leaning on the door frame.

I looked up from unpacking, “What place doesn’t have a Starbucks?” I chuckled to myself.

“Well, there is a nice little coffee shop in the park, you should check it out later, it might give you some inspiration,” he said faintly as he walked away.

I looked down at my music notebook and ipod.

Later that night I decided to check this place out. It was around 9:30 and they were still open, I was surprised, for a small town like this. I walked in and ordered a caramel macchiato, then I decided to sit in the back corner seat. I couldn’t see anything but the people making the coffee, I didn’t mind, I’d rather be to myself, it helped my thought process. I immediately started to write down lyrics and music note after music note. After about 30 minutes I heard someone walk in but I paid no attention, I was in the zone.

Your POV

I walked in and it seemed that no one else was here. “Wow, Grandma was right, I guess I can have some time alone.” I thought to myself as I took a corner seat upfront. I couldn’t see anything but the place to order. I ordered a caramel macchiato and started to sketch as I turned my music up full volume. The song I was listening to had a jazzy vibe and for some reason I started to sketch multiple music notes. I finished my coffee as it became later. It neared closing time and I decided that I should head home so I gathered my things and left.

His POV

I yawned and realized how late it was. I decided it was time to call it quits as I picked up my notebook and hung my headphones around my neck. As I left the shop I looked around to see no one around. “I swear I heard someone walk in,” I thought, “I guess I did have the whole place to myself.”

Your POV

I made it home and went to my guest room. I stretched myself out on the bed and fell asleep holding my sketchbook close to me. The next morning I woke up and dragged myself to the bathroom. I washed my face still half asleep and headed to the kitchen for breakfast. I sat at the table and reached for the juice as my mom let out a piercing scream that jolted me awake.

“Is that a tattoo!?” she screamed pointing to my right wrist.

My eyes widened. “Oh my gosh what is that?” I thought to myself, “That wasn’t there yesterday!” my thoughts raced through my mind. “No, no mom it’s one of those tattoos that people draw on, it’s just temporary.” I explained.

“Oh thank goodness honey, you almost gave me a heart attack,” she exclaimed as she continued on eating her breakfast.

I drank my juice down and ran back to my room, what the heck is going on? I looked at the music note that seemed to be tattooed into my skin somehow. Maybe this was all a dream, or maybe I was going crazy? “Woo I need some fresh air.” I said trying to calm myself down. I quickly changed my clothes, grabbed my bag and ran out the door.

His POV

I got home, went to my room, and sat on my bed. I continued to write lyrics until my eyes started to doze off. I layed my head down to rest for a second but ended up falling asleep. I woke up the next morning to my brother’s voice.

“Ay man you want something to eat?”  he asked.

I nodded my head as I followed him into the kitchen. I sat at the counter ruffling my hair.

“Ay man I didn’t know you got a new tattoo, sweet,” my brother pointed out as he poured us both a glass of water.

My eyes shot to my left wrist as I tried to keep my sanity. A music note? I mean it’s totally me but, that was never there. I ran to my room changed and walked back into the kitchen trying not to freak out, or at least show any emotion of me freaking out.

“Um, on second thought I think I need some coffee,” I told my brother as I ran out the door.

I arrived at the crowded coffee shop and ordered my usual caramel macchiato. Maybe coffee can bring me back to my senses or to reality at least.

Her POV

I walked into the coffee shop which was a whole different atmosphere than the night before. There were lots of people ordering their morning coffee. I ordered my favorite caramel macchiato and waited on the wall dragging my fingers over the “tattoo” that now occupied the space on my right wrist. What was going on? I was so confused. I stood there in deep thought as I heard someone call out “One regular caramel macchiato!” I was knocked out of my concentration as I walked up to the bar to get my coffee. I reached for my coffee when the person next to me reached for it as well. My eyes looked over at his left wrist as our hands touched. I looked him straight in the eyes as did he after examining my right wrist. We both stood there, hands interlocked on the steaming coffee cup.

“Yongguk?” the barista asked.