Universal Languages

Your Daily Assortment of EXO Fanfics

 

✈ Universal Languages 

Author: maayacola

Pairing: Jongdae/Tao [TAOCHEN]
Rating: PG-13
Summary: Jongdae goes to China to learn about wushu, and ends up learning about himself, instead. (AU, 32k)
Warnings: This is so fluffy it may kill you. Also the particular tournament that occurs in this story is a real tournament, but this is not when it’s run, and not how it’s run.

 
 

I start out with my favorite fanfiction piece, Universal Languages.

General: It's a Jongdae/Chen-centered fic where he is sent to China to spend a year and write for his magazine company. Along the way, he develops a close relationship with Tao and the others that live there (EXO-M) as he overcomes the language barrier. He learns about Chinese culture but he learns even more about himself.

My Thoughts: It's a realistic piece of work and that's what makes it so touching. I stumbled upon it accidentally via another AFF rec page and the moment I started reading it, I knew I was in for a ride. You feel Jongdae's mood in his thoughts and actions. How insecure he is in a new environment, his confusion of his feelings, and his loss of communication. The story is so sweet (not in the way that it is cavity-inducing, mind you, unless you consider it in that way /shot for rambling) but it's the kind that gently encases your heart and you wish it were true. I never gave one thought to Taochen before but after reading this, it made the pairing my OTP. Partially, the story also gave me a new view of Chen. And now, he's one of my biases.

Pairings: The work is Taochen centered, sprinkled with very small side pairings (Ex: Hunhan, Baekyeol). 

Length: There are 5 parts so be prepared for a memorable ride. :)