CHAPTER III

DAMN! THOSE BOXING GLOVES!

 

Part III

19 June 2013

Korea, 8pm

 

In Youngbae’s car, Chaerin was quiet. She had wiped away her tears before Youngbae managed to catch up with her. When she was paying for dinner, she even managed to chat amicably with the manager and thanked him for the great service. When Youngbae saw that, he felt the pain in his heart. He just didn’t like seeing her hiding her emotions and having to smile when she was obviously upset.

 

“Chaerin ah, are you still upset with Jiyong?”

 

She shrugged, indicating that she didn’t want to talk about the incident or the person responsible. She had read Jiyong’s message and remembered that she promised to meet him if they end recording early.

 

“Oppa, we are recording tomorrow right?”

 

“Yup... Is there a problem?”

 

“Jiyong oppa wants to meet me tomorrow if we end early. I really don’t want another disagreement before we leave for Singapore and Malaysia. Help me out?”

 

“Chaerin, you can’t avoid him. I can tell you he’s going to turn up at your practice at 9am tomorrow. He’s not going to rest until he talks to you. Why don’t you want to talk to him? Is something bothering you?”

 

“His behaviour just now is bothering me. That’s the first time I see him actually react this violently towards my pictures. I mean in the past, if he’s not happy with the look or if he thought it was too y, he would just mentioned and then laughed it off. So I actually do not know how to rationalize this behaviour of his.”

 

“First of all, that picture is not just y. That picture is also very suggestive. I didn’t like it one bit when I saw it too. Because you are our baby sister and it was quite a shock to see that you are all grown-up and that other guys might think of you in a ual manner. The protective instincts just came out naturally.”

 

“So this is simply a show of brotherly instincts?”

 

Youngbae didn’t really know how to answer this question. Saying ‘yes’ would not be telling the entire truth, saying ‘no’ might complicate matters for Jiyong and himself.

 

“It’s not just brotherly instincts. As guys, we know what effect that picture has on anyone looking at it and we just do not want you to be subjected to criticism that is uncalled for. Because we know you are not like that. You are still such a baby at times.”

 

“Oppa, I’m not a baby and you know it.”

 

“We do, but you know it’s difficult to step out of that. It’s like how you are protective over Minzy and how your 2 unnies are protective over you although they are more childish than you most of the time.”

 

Chaerin laughed at what Youngbae just said. As Youngbae drove, she started exploring her Instagram, liking random picture that she liked. When she saw Youngbae’s photo of their shooting outing, she decided to leave a comment.

 

“Bae oppa, I’m going to leave a comment on your photo!”

 

“Which one?”

 

“The one showing your lousy shooting skills.”

 

“Aigoo~ What are you going to say?”

 

“‘Oppa, I think I can do better than you.’ There, I left a message.”

 

The notification that someone that he follows had left a comment came out on Youngbae’s phone. When they stopped at the traffic light, Youngbae left a reply too.”

 

“‘This is difficult, Chaerin ah.’ I replied.”

 

Because she wasn’t following anyone on Instagram, the notification doesn’t come up since she was not tagged. However, she knew that Youngbae just sent a reply, so she went to the photo again and left another comment.

 

“‘No, I came in first when I went with Jiyong oppa and Seungho oppa previously.’”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yup! I did so much better than them. I asked if I have to be scared since I would have to depend on them to defend the country in the event of emergencies.”

 

“But it was really difficult.”

 

“You guys just don’t know how to focus on the target. You let all the lines distract you.”

 

“How many points did you score?”

 

“I’m going to tell you on your picture. ‘Out of 500 point, I scored about 460+ points’”

 

“You do know that this will cause a stir among the fans right? You didn’t just leave a comment on my photo. You also revealed that you went for shooting practice with Jiyong and Seungho. I remembered Ji tweeting a picture of him at the shooting range.”

 

“I already mentioned that I go out with Jiyong oppa a lot since we are very close. And Seungho oppa was with us. If being a celebrity means that I can’t go out with people I want to go out with, it’s actually quite sad. As it is, I don’t have many friends outside of the company. Maybe that’s why I don’t have a boyfriend. I should go out more.”

 

No, you just don’t see that there are people in the company who wants to be your boyfriend. You just categorized them nicely as ‘oppas’.

 

“Are you serious about revealing that picture on your Instagram?”

 

“Actually, this is the only part of a set of 3 photos that didn’t get selected. 2 of the photos still made it to the magazine. So, it’s still going to be a hot issue. If I put that up on Instagram, it might prepare the audience before they see the other pictures. This picture is the side profile...”

 

“You mean the other pictures are going to be frontal?”

 

Chaerin wiggled her eyebrows, winked and grinned at Youngbae.

 

“You will find out when the magazine is out~”

 

“You are in so much trouble, missy!”

 

“Boss gave the go-ahead when PR showed him the pictures so if it’s Boss you are worried about, you don’t have to. As for you and Jiyong oppa, you can’t possibly buy up every single magazine. I already did the shoot, it’s a side that I want to show, so that’s that. Like you said, I’m all grown up. You guys just have to deal with the fact that I’m not a baby anymore.”

 

And that’s the difficult part...
How do we let go of that and think of you as just another girl without wanting more?

It’s not quite possible.

 

“It’s going to take some time. You grew up on us all of a sudden, you have to give us time to get used to it.”

 

“How long do you think you’d need? How long do you think Jiyong oppa would need?”

 

“I’m not sure... it’s not easy. You are asking us to look at you as ‘just another girl we know’ and that’s just not possible.”

 

“Hmmm... Ok. I guess it would be the same for me. It would be difficult to see you guys as ‘men’ instead of ‘oppas’. Should I tell Jiyong oppa he’s forgiven for behaving the way he did just now? Nah, I’d just wait till I meet him tomorrow. Let him fret a little more!”

 

Youngbae smiled at her and she returned his smile.

 

So pretty...

How can anyone think that she’s not?

They have got to be blind.

 

“Chaerin ah, do not let anyone tell you that you are not beautiful ok? You are, very.”

 

“Thank you, Bae oppa! You’re the best!”

 

Youngbae drove into the driveway of Chaerin’s parents’ house and got out of his car to accompany her to the house and to greet her parents.

 

“Oppa, you want to stay for a drink?”

 

“I should go after I greet your parents. It’s getting late.”

 

“What time are you going to be at the company tomorrow?”

 

“I want to catch Jiyong and lock him up in the recording studio to finish the song he started for me. So I should be in the building around the same time as you too.”

 

“Should I make breakfast for you and Jiyong oppa? He wanted to swing by and pick me up for breakfast but I think he needs to rest. All the flying around is very tiring.”

 

“You could if you want to but if it eats into your sleep, then forget it.”

 

“I wake up very early anyway. I’d think about it and message you in the morning if I’m bringing any.”

 

“Alright.”

 

Chaerin opened the door to her house and Youngbae followed her in.

 

“Appa, Omma! I’m back! Youngbae oppa is here.”

 

They went to the living room where Chaerin’s parents were and Youngbae very politely greeted the elders. They exchanged some small talk and Youngbae finally said he had to go back since it was getting late. When the elders wanted to send him to the door, he declined and said it was alright. Chaerin’s mum invited him to their family dinner next week. Youngbae said if he has time, he would come over and thanked her for the invitation.

 

Chaerin sent Youngbae to the door and gave him a hug for sending her home.

 

“Oppa, thank you again! See you tomorrow!”

 

“Anytime, Princess~”

 

“Ehhhh... Don’t call me that!”

 

“Arasseo~ See you tomorrow!”

 

Youngbae left and turned to look at Chaerin when he reached his car. Chaerin smiled broadly and waved at him. He waved back and got into his car. After seeing that Youngbae had driven away, Chaerin closed the door and turned back into the house. She went into the kitchen and was surprised to see her mum.

 

“Omma~~~”

 

She went and hugged her mum round the waist and rest her head on her mum’s shoulders.

 

“How come it isn’t Jiyong who sent you back today?”

 

“Jiyong oppa just got back from Japan, so he didn’t have his car with him and I had a disagreement with him just now at dinner. Bae oppa came to the hologram filming location just now and when I told him I’m coming here, he offered to drive me back. Omma, do we have ingredients for kimbap? I want to make breakfast for both Bae and Jiyong oppa.”

 

“Go look in the refrigerator. We should have everything needed.”

 

“Ok~”

 

Chaerin let go of her mum and went to check the availability of the ingredients. She ticked off the list in her head and smiled when she saw that she has all the ingredients.

 

“But Chaerin, why are you making breakfast for both of them? Usually it’s just one of them?”

 

“They are both going to be at the building at the same time tomorrow, so I can’t just make for one and not the other right? And I have to hide the breakfast from Teddy oppa otherwise I won’t hear the end of it. He would keep on saying I don’t love him anymore.”

 

“Are you going to drive to YGE tomorrow or is one of them picking you up?”

 

“Omma, I have my own car and I can drive. Why would I need any of them to pick me up?”

 

“But I’m sure they did offer. After all, you are like their little sister.”

 

“Jiyong oppa wanted to come by and pick me up for breakfast but I wanted him to rest more since he’s flying every weekend for his tour. So I told him that I have an appointment already. Alright, omma, I’m going to go to bed too. I have a long day tomorrow and then I’m flying off to Singapore on Friday.”

 

“Ok, go talk to your dad for a while before you go to bed. We’ll see you when you are back from Indonesia right? Since you are flying to Singapore next weekend.”

 

“I’m flying on Thursday actually. Seungho oppa and Soo Hyuk oppa are paying for my flight and accommodation. They want me to attend the Ambush event with them.”

 

“Oh?”

 

“Omma, since you invited Youngbae oppa to dinner next week, can I bring Jiyong oppa too? He wants me to have lunch and dinner every day with him but I want to spend time with you and appa too. So, if they come here for dinner, I get to spend time with everyone!”

 

“Ok, just tell me in advance so I can prepare enough food.”

 

“I will ask them when they will be back from Malaysia next week. We can probably have dinner on Tuesday?”

 

“Do you want to ask the girls as well?”

 

“Alright, I will ask them and let you know.”

 

Chaerin gave her mum a kiss on the cheek and went to look for her father. The father and daughter talked some and after a while, Chaerin bid goodnight to her father. She gave her father a kiss and a hug, then she went up to her room. Chaerin’s mother came and sat down beside her husband.

 

“She’s quite the oblivious child, isn’t she? For a smart girl, she cannot see that both Youngbae and Jiyong look upon her as more than a little sister.”

 

“But the guys aren’t making it VERY clear for her as well. I think the awakening is just beginning to happen. Like they are beginning to realize that she’s not just their little sister anymore. And add Seungho and Soo Hyuk to the mix as well. Our daughter sure has no lack of suitors!!”

 

“Why would she be lacking in that area?! The guy who finally gets her is one lucky chap!”

 

Chaerin’s mum smiled at her husband and shook her head. But she has to agree with her husband. They had done a good job with Chaerin.

 

“I’m just a little worried because they are all very close friends.”

 

“Don’t worry about the youngsters. They will have to sort out their lives on their own. If they come to blows because of Chaerin, then may the best man win!”

 

“But your princess will scream at all of them for being silly and then ignore them without realizing that the fight was about her in the first place. I just hope that she won’t feel the need to distance herself from this group of ‘oppas’.”

 

“Nature will take its own course. Boys will be boys. They might be upset for a while that they are not the one, but eventually they will also know that whoever she choose, it’s the one she wants to be with the most.”

 

“Who do you think would win in the end?”

 

“Who do YOU think would win?

 

“I thought Jiyong had a good chance but seeing her with Youngbae more these days kind of tilt the scales a bit.”

 

“Ok, who are you rooting for to win then?”

 

“Our daughter. No matter who she chooses in the end, her happiness is the most important to me, to us. We have seen how these boys have treated her like their most precious sibling and friend through the years so I’m very sure they won’t hurt her intentionally.”

 

“You are right, of course. I believe in Chaerin. She will make the right choice in the end.”

 

Chaerin showered and was putting on her body lotion when she realized that walking out of dinner just now was very rude and uncalled for. So she decided to send everyone present a message.

 

TO: DAE OPPA

Dae oppa, sorry for my behaviour just now. Congrats again on the end of your tour and good luck for the encore in Okinawa! Didn’t have time to go to Japan to support you this time round, maybe in your next round of promotion, I’d be there!

 

TO: THE AHJUMMAS & MINZY (group chat)

Unnies~! Minzy! Sorry for walking out of dinner just now. My mum wanted me to ask if you girls want to come over for dinner next week. Maybe we can come over together after our MV filming on Tuesday?

 

TO: JIYONG OPPA

Oppa... I’m sorry for shouting at you too. But you have to understand that that was for work and I’m actually happy to be able to show different sides of me. Anyway, see you tomorrow.

 

FROM: DAE OPPA

Now that you’ve said it, do you want to come to Okinawa on Sunday with me?

 

TO: DAE OPPA

Oppa, I can’t make it on Sunday. After flying back from Singapore in the morning, my schedule for the day is packed. Enjoy yourself at the concert and rest well after! I’d see you when you are back!

 

FROM: DAE OPPA

Alright then~ Take care of yourself as well! Don’t fall sick!

 

TO: DAE OPPA

Thanks for your concern, oppa~! Have a good rest!!

 

In that time, the group chat among the members had been going on as well. So Chaerin turned her attention to the group chat. After reading all the messages that had been sent by the girls, Chaerin summarised and concluded for all of them.

 

TO: THE AHJUMMAS AND MINZY (group chat)

So I guess you girls can’t make it for dinner next week then? It’s ok, don’t worry about it. There will be other chances. And no, I’m not angry with Jiyong oppa anymore so there’s nothing to worry about. Please go and sleep now and be on time for practice tomorrow. Bommie unnie, no more corn, Dara unnie, no cup noodles and Minzy, I love you because I know you have better control than the unnies~ Goodnight! See you all tomorrow!! 9am. Don’t be late.

 

Chaerin put her phone away and got ready for bed. She took out the outfit she was going to wear tomorrow, set her alarm and made sure she had everything she needed. She didn’t realize that Jiyong had sent her a message.

 

Jiyong arrived at his own apartment and was worried if Chaerin was still angry with him. To take his mind off that, he started unpacking.

 

One more week of this semi-nomadic life and I’m done!

 

When his phone beeped, he quickly grabbed it to see if it was Chaerin. When he saw that it was her, he smiled broadly. But upon reading the message, he was a little disappointed. The message was an end on its own. There wasn’t the usual easy banter between them. He typed in a reply and hope that that would get them talking.

 

TO: CHAERINNIE

I know it’s for work but still, it’s too much. What time will you be at YGE? I know you said practice starts at 9am but knowing you, you would be there early. And what time is this appointment of yours? You should be resting instead of running around early in the morning. Why don’t you cancel the appointment and I’d come pick you up for breakfast before going to the company?

 

Jiyong sent his reply, hoping that it didn’t make Chaerin angry. He shook his head in amazement that he was actually worried that his message would make her angry.

 

What is the world coming to?!

What is happening to me?!

 

You’re in love, silly, that’s why~

 

The notion that he’s in love with Chaerin didn’t scare him as much now but it still made his heart tremble with worry that he might lose her if she’s not on the same page as him. He glanced at the phone he’s holding in his hand and frowned since there was no reply from her yet.

 

Is she really angry?

Should I call her?

 

Jiyong dialled Chaerin’s number from memory but hesitated to press the ‘call’ button. This was also new to him. He had never hesitated when it came to calling her. But he had never made her that angry before. His finger hovered on the ‘call’ button, finally he pressed it and hoped that she would pick up his call.

 

Chaerin was about to close her eyes and fall asleep when she heard her phone ringing. She reached for her phone beside her pillow and answered the call without seeing who it was.

 

“Hello...”

 

“Chaerin ah...”

 

“Jiyong oppa?”

 

“Are you sleeping already?”

 

“Mmm, just about to fall asleep... what’s up?”

 

“So you didn’t see my message?”

 

“You sent a message? Sorry, I was talking to the girls just now and didn’t see the notification. What’s up?”

 

“You are already so tired and you are going to wake up early tomorrow for your appointment? Why don’t you cancel it?”

 

“What appointment? I’m just going to the company tomorrow morning...”

 

“But you told me you have an appointment when I asked you out for breakfast...”

 

Chaerin mentally slapped herself for letting the cat out of her own bag.

 

“Oppa, sorry for lying to you. I just didn’t want you to have to come and fetch me when you just came back from overseas. You have to rest more with your crazy schedule.”

 

“So you don’t have an appointment tomorrow morning?”

 

“Nope... But I still don’t want you to come... ok? I will see you at the company tomorrow?”

 

“Chaerin ah...”

 

“Or if you really want to have breakfast, just come to the company early. I was going to surprise you by bringing you breakfast but I know you will not let it rest. So, YGE rooftop at 8.15am?”

 

“Make it 8am? I want to spend more time with you.”

 

“Ok, but Bae oppa is joining us as well.”

 

“But I thought you said you were going to make me breakfast? What is Youngbae doing there for?”

 

“I’m making 2 portions, one for you and one for Youngbae oppa. Oh! Remember not to tell Teddy oppa and the girls, otherwise they would get on my case for not making any for them.”

 

“So I’m still not going to get any time with you alone.”

 

“You said we are meeting after recording tomorrow right? Or did you intend to ask Bae oppa too?”

 

“Nope, just you. Ok, I’d see you tomorrow morning then. I’d let the Sleeping Beauty have her beauty sleep now~”

 

“Does that mean I have to find my Prince Charming before going to bed? You know, she needs a kiss from the prince to wake up.”

 

After saying that, Chaerin realized how stupid and funny that sounded and she laughed out loud over the phone. Jiyong grinned at her remark and her laugh.

 

“Then should I go and wake you up tomorrow then?”

 

“Hul~ Oppa! Your Prince syndrome is back? Aigoo~ Alright, I have to go to bed now. You’d better sleep soon too otherwise you are just going to miss breakfast tomorrow.”

 

“I will not miss breakfast. You are so busy these days that getting 15 minutes from you is a luxury. Sleep well, Princess~”

 

“What’s with you and Bae oppa calling me ‘Princess’ all of a sudden? Don’t do that, it’s just so strange. Oppa, can you do me a favor? Can you let Bae oppa know about the time for breakfast tomorrow? I really need to sleep now. Goodnight~”

 

“Ok, I’d do that. You sleep well. Goodnight.”

 

Jiyong ended the call and contemplated his next move. He had to send the message to Youngbae about the time for breakfast, but he’s deciding what time he should tell him.

 

TO: BAE

Bae, Chaerin wants me to tell you that she’s making breakfast for us and to be at the rooftop at 8.30am. See you tomorrow~

 

If Jiyong could, he would have said that Chaerin had cancelled the breakfast so he could have her to himself. He could have said 8.15am but knowing Youngbae, he would turn up 15 minutes earlier. So 8.30am sounds reasonable enough.

 

FROM: BAE

That’s a bit late right, considering that the girls start practice at 9am. But she will take an hour to get to YGE from her parents’ so she must be getting up really early just to make us the breakfast. Alright, see you tomorrow then~

 

Jiyong totally forgot the traveling time required. Calculating the time, this meant that Chaerin would have to be awake at 5am most probably.

 

Silly girl, won’t it have been easier if you just let me go bring you for breakfast?

 

But remembering her reason for not wanting him to do that warmed his heart. He knew that she’s always shows concern for him in her own way but he wanted to do the same too. A thought came to him. He smiled and then put aside whatever he was doing and got ready for bed. Before he went to bed, he remembered to set the alarm for 5am.


Chaerin ah, see you tomorrow~

 


Author's Note: PART V has been updated on the blog~