CHAPTER XIII

DAMN! THOSE BOXING GLOVES!

PART XIII

24 June 2013

8.30pm KST

Ilsan >>> Seoul

 

When they left the filming location, Chaerin left in the car with Xin and the stylists who were going back to the office. She got the manager who was driving them to stop at a cafe and told them to go back to the office first. Xin was a tad worried and didn’t want to  leave her alone but she reassured him that it was only going to take a while. The manager also insisted on waiting, so in the end, she went inside, bought what she needed to and got back into the car.

 

“What did you get?”

 

“Jiyong oppa’s favorites.”

 

“The two of you are too much! Why do you even bother buying him any food? He would be full just with you beside him.”

 

“Even so, he still needs to eat something and it’s not all sweet stuff.”

 

“Didn’t he already have dinner?”

 

“He did but I don’t think he ate. You know how he is when he’s at work.”

 

Xin shook his head but didn’t say anything more. The stylists and the manager just pretended that they didn’t hear what was said. But since Chaerin’s actions can also be seen as a junior looking out for her senior, they didn’t think too much about it. But when Chaerin didn’t pick up Jiyong’s call, the manager did start getting worried.

 

“Chaerin, aren’t you going to pick up the call? That’s Jiyong isn’t it?”

 

“Oppa, it’s ok. We are near the office.”

 

“You’d better answer it. You do not know how crazy he can get.”

 

“Well, I’m about to find out right?”

 

“Chaerin, please, I beg you, answer his call. He would be calling…”

 

Chaerin’s phone stopped ringing but the next moment, the manager’s phone started ringing. He looked at her helplessly.

 

“Just don’t answer it, oppa. We are like 15 minutes away.”

 

“You do not understand. He won’t stop until one of us can give him an answer about where you are. I’m going to answer and if need be, you will have to talk to him.”

 

The manager answered the call and from the conversation, it was not difficult to figure out that Jiyong knew he was the one who was with Chaerin. The manager passed over the phone to Chaerin with a pleading look. Chaerin finally took the phone from him.

 

“Oppa…”

 

“Lee Chaerin! What did I say about not answering your phone? Don’t you know that I would be worried?”

 

“Oppa, I’m with the manager, how dangerous could it be?”

 

“You could have gotten into an accident or something. Where are you now?”

 

“On my way back to the dorm.”

 

“Then why are you not in the other nanny van with the girls?”

 

“I needed to go somewhere with Seungho oppa before I head back.”

 

“Oh… Alright then… So you are going back to the dorm now?”

 

“Yup~ We are going to start our day early tomorrow. Why? How did work go for you today?”

 

“It went alright. I managed to finish the song I was working on before going to Malaysia and started on another one that I wrote when I was in Malaysia. I want to see you. If I knew you were going to end early, I’d have gone and wait for you at the dorm.”

 

“I didn’t want to disturb you. Oppa, we’ll see each other tomorrow, right? If you think you have done enough for the day, then you should go back and rest alright?”

 

“I’m going to stay for a while more before going back. When you arrive at the dorm, call me, ok?”

 

“Ok, I will.”

 

During that time, the manager had started to drive a little faster and just as they were turning into the YGE building, Chaerin ended the call and passed the phone back to the manager as she got ready to get out of the car.

 

Just as she entered, she saw a familiar figure walking towards the entrance of the building. She was surprised and frowned for a second but the next moment, the person looked up and when they saw each other, it happened again.

 

That natural smile that find its way onto their faces when they see each other.

 

Jiyong stopped and simply waited for Chaerin to come to him. But about 1 meter away from him, she stopped and just looked at him with a smirk on her face.

 

“Oppa, where are you off to?”

 

“To look for a stray cat. What are you doing here?”

 

“To feed my pet dragon.”

 

“There’s no dragon in this world.”

 

“Oh really? Then I guess I have to give this to Teddy oppa then.”

 

When Jiyong looked down to see the bag that she was carrying, he couldn’t help the grin that broke out on his face.

 

“Oh, for this, I’m willing to be a pet dragon! Give!”

 

“Ya! The two of you! Stop blocking the way! Go back to your studio!”

 

Xin said loud enough for them to hear because he could see that the two of them were attracting a crowd. Even though it’s within YGE but it’s still better to be safe than sorry.”

 

“Let’s go back to my cave then, Kitty.”

 

Jiyong took the bags of food from her and turned her towards his studio.

 

“I didn’t know dragons stay in caves and don’t call me ‘Kitty’.”

 

Jiyong kept what he wanted to say to himself and let Chaerin lead the way. He started chatting with her easily about their MV. But the moment they arrived at his studio, he put down the food on the table and went to hug Chaerin from the back.

 

“Don’t move. Just stay like this for a minute. I miss you.”

 

Chaerin just stayed in his arms, savoring the warmth coming from his body. After a while, she turned and gave him a light peck on his jaw.

 

“Oppa, let’s eat first before the food turns cold. I’m hungry.”

 

“I swear, if it’s not food from Noeul, I won’t let you go. Didn’t you eat dinner just now?”

 

“Did you?”

 

Jiyong just shook his head at how well the girl in front of him knows him. Just like how well he knows her. Once Chaerin took out the food and set the table, they settled down to eat. Though the food was a little cold but the two leaders were just happy to be with each other. They fed each other and when they finished eating, Jiyong went to the console to play R.O.D. for Chaerin.

 

When the song ended, Chaerin looked over at him and gave him a questioning look.

 

“Oppa, is the song…”

 

“I wrote this when I was in Malaysia. I wanted it to be our collaboration but Boss refused it the moment I told him what the song title is. Lydia came in to do a guide for it just now. She’s good but honestly it was you who I pictured singing this song with me though. Can we record this, just you and me? Even if it’s not released officially, it’s something I want to have, for me, for us.”

 

“We can do that. But do we have to do it now?”

 

“Not right now. Now, I just want to sit here with you.”

 

“Oppa, we should head back home soon. I have an early day tomorrow and I think you need rest too.”

 

“Sure, are you going back to the dorm?”

 

“Are you going to be my chauffeur tomorrow? If you are, then we will go back to our apartments, if you aren’t, then I’d go back to the dorm.”

 

“What time do you have to be here?”

 

“7am.”

 

“Alright, let’s go back then. Since this is considered early for me, we could both sleep early tonight and I can bring you here tomorrow morning and start working early as well.”

 

“Let’s go then. I’d clean up while you shut down the studio.”

 

Both of them got to work. Chaerin cleared away the food packages and tidied the studio while Jiyong made sure he had saved all the music he worked on that day. After 30 minutes, both of them were good to leave the company.

 

“Oppa, I’d go wait for you at your car?”

 

“Why? We could leave together.”

 

“Because the dorm and our apartments are in different directions? People would be wondering why we are leaving at the same time in your car.”

 

“Chaerin ah, if we have to think about every little thing such as this, we will go crazy. We have to be careful but not this careful. If anyone asked, just say we are going for supper or a coffee. And it’s also perfectly polite for me to send you back home after asking you to work on something with me. Stop worrying so much.”

 

Though Chaerin was still a little worried, she picked up her bag and walked out of the studio with Jiyong right behind her. He was standing close but he didn’t touch her. He would have liked to hold her hand but he knew that she was worried about what people would think. They made their way to his car in silence.

 

But once they were settled in the car, Jiyong couldn’t help himself anymore. He took her hand and simply held it in his. He drove out of the building and he could see there were fans around. He held Chaerin’s hand tighter when she tried to pull away.

 

“Oppa…”

 

“Save it, they can’t see through the tinted windows anyway.”

 

As they got further away from YGE building, Chaerin also relaxed visibly. But as they got closer to their apartment block, she started tensing up again. Jiyong was well-aware of her moods because she’s actually not that difficult to read when she’s with people she’s comfortable with.

 

“Baby, relax, you are worrying too much.”

 

Jiyong leaned towards Chaerin and whispered close to her ear.

 

“Or are you thinking about how to invite me to your place? That, you don’t have to worry about. I’m inviting myself.”

 

Chaerin hit Jiyong playfully on his arm and glared at him. But the smile she was trying to hold back wasn’t cooperating.

 

“So you are going to sleep in my apartment tonight? Strange, I was going to invite myself to YOUR apartment. Oppa, are we playing ‘Apartment Switch’ for the night?”

 

“I’m going where you are going. Your apartment or mine, it doesn’t matter as long as it has you in it.”

 

“Even if I say you have to sleep on the couch?”

 

“Really, Chaerin, you are going to make me sleep on the couch?”

 

“Do you want me to sleep on the couch instead?”

 

“Baby, please, I just want to hold you, go to sleep with you in my arms and wake up holding you in my arms. Nothing more.”

 

“Oppa…”

 

“Remember you owe me for making me upset because of your dance on Inkigayo? I want this, please?”

 

“You didn’t even let me finish my sentence. I was going to tell you to go bring your change of clothes for tomorrow from your apartment to mine. So now, I don’t owe you anything anymore right? Good. Let’s go then.”

 

“That’s not fair! You were going to agree to it anyway! So you still owe me.”

 

“I do not. You already said that this is what you want. We can sit here arguing the whole night or we can go and get a good night’s sleep. Choose.”

 

“There’s no winning when it comes to you. I have been warned and now I’m seeing the truth of it.”

 

Chaerin just gave Jiyong her cute eye smile and a quick kiss on his cheek before turning to open the car door to let herself out. She didn’t know if letting him stay over at her apartment was a good idea but she’s not going to worry about it.

 

“Chae, I’m going to go back to my apartment first but I’d be up at your apartment soon.”

 

“Alright, I’d text you the door code in case I’m in the shower and can’t come to the door.”

 

Jiyong was on the verge of asking if he could join her in the shower but he realized that that was a little too greedy of him. He nodded and they entered the elevator. Jiyong got off at his floor after surprising Chaerin with a quick kiss on her nose. He turned and waved as the door closed. Chaerin sent him a quick text with her door code when she got to her apartment and quickly went to get her shower.

 

When she came out from the shower 30 minutes later dressed casually in sweatpants and t-shirt, she was surprised that Jiyong had not come over yet. But just as she was about to call him, she heard her door being opened. When she saw what Jiyong had in his hands, she laughed.

 

“Oppa, it’s only for tonight. Why do you have your luggage with you?”

 

“It’s not going to be my only time sleeping over, I thought I might as well pack one and leave it here.”

 

Chaerin just shook her head and went into the kitchen.

 

“Oppa, do you want a drink?”

 

Suddenly, she felt herself being hugged from the back. She turned to see Jiyong’s face resting on her shoulders with his eyes closed. She turned in his embrace and hugged him back, snuggling a little into his chest.

 

“This feels really good. If I get to come home to this every day, I don’t think I would work late nights anymore.”

 

Chaerin nodded in agreement. She wasn’t going to lie. It felt good. She moved her hands from his waist to around his neck then tiptoed to whisper in his ear.

 

“Oppa, if you don’t need a drink, let’s go to bed. Carry me.”

 

Jiyong didn’t need to be told a second time. He moved his hands to her and she helped by heaving herself up and held on to him with her legs around his waist. He was walking towards her room when she surprised him by kissing him on his lips. He kissed her back when he recovered from the shock and then moved back.

 

“Hold on to that thought. Let’s get into the room first.”

 

But Chaerin wasn’t listening. She moved her lips back onto his and had her way. Jiyong quickened his step and when they reached her room, he walked over to the bed immediately and put Chaerin down on the bed gently. He indulged in the kiss but knew that this can’t go further.

 

When Chaerin’s hands started to stray, he pulled back, caught her hands in his, kissed them and brought them close to his chest then hugging her closely, tightly. This effectively trapped her hands so she couldn’t be up to any mischief. He then tucked her head under his chin and started her back in an attempt to calm her down.

 

“Baby, let’s just stay this way for now ok? As much as I love you taking the initiative, I really don’t want us to do something that you might regret later. And I would still like you to be mine first. So let’s do things one step at a time ok?”

 

Jiyong felt Chaerin nod her head in agreement so he loosened his hold on her. Once her hands were freed, she moved them to rest on his waist and then snuggled closer.

 

“Oppa, I can hear your heartbeat. It is very soothing. That’s probably why babies like to be held near where they can hear their mother’s heartbeat.”

 

“You are my beautiful baby. Baby, let’s try to get together like this whenever our schedules allow for it.”

 

“Oppa, this is not going to be easy though, you know right? Even if you are finishing your tour soon, you still have your album and various activities.”

 

“But you are not saying ‘no’ right?”

 

“How can I when it feels so good?”

 

Jiyong pushed back her hair and kissed her forehead. Chaerin moved her head and looked up at Jiyong. He smiled at her cute eyes that’s opened as wide as she could and couldn’t resist kissing her lips.

 

Chaerin was about to deepen the kiss when Jiyong pulled back again. She pouted her lips and glared at him. Jiyong looked at her and grinned. When she tried to move away from his embrace, he held on to her tightly.

 

“Oppa! How can you tease me like that?!”

 

“I couldn’t resist. You looked so cute, like a curious little kitten. But no, even right now, I’m thinking that I have to speak to your parents about our relationship first. I don’t want them to think that I’m just playing a fool with you.”

 

Chaerin had no reply to that. On the one hand, she was happy to hear that Jiyong was really serious about them, on the other hand, it was a little stressful. She snuggled closer and hid her face from him.

 

“Don’t worry, baby. I’m not pressing you for an answer. It’s just me wanting to make my intentions clear to your parents. I’m sure your parents will let you make your own decisions about us.”

 

“Oppa, you can be a sweetheart when you choose to.”

 

“When was I ever mean to you?”

 

“Do you really want to know?”

 

Jiyong tipped her chin up to look her in the eyes.

 

“Never again. I’m never going to let you be hurt from anything again.”

 

“Oppa, there are things that is not within your control. Just promise to be there when I need you. That’s good enough.”

 

“Promise that you would come to me when you need me. Promise that you won’t keep anything from me. Share your life with me, Lee Chaerin.”

 

“You too, oppa. We don’t see each other often and if we don’t communicate, misunderstandings can happen. Let’s not let that happen alright? Please don’t pull that macho on me.”

 

“I will still have my moments. You will have to learn to deal with it.”

 

“I’m not a clingy girlfriend and I won’t be at your beck-and-call, you will have to deal with that. Actually, oppa, I’m so different from the type of girls you usually date. Are you sure you want to do this?”

 

“I’m here, single and alone, so I’m guessing all those previous girls aren’t really my match. Maybe I dated them because they were just there and if I’m honest with myself, I never did put in 100% into the relationship. If I ever have to choose between any of my previous girlfriends and my career, the answer is my career always. But I’m greedy when it comes to you. I can’t give either one up.”

 

“I would never put you in a position where you have to choose. Since I’m well-aware of the demands that Boss puts on you, I’d try my best to be your support instead of worry.”

 

“Can we go visit your parents when we get back from Singapore?”

 

“We could. Let’s go see them before I get swept into the craziness that is our comeback.”

 

“Poor baby, you barely have any time to breathe. It’s difficult doing solo and group activity at the same time. You are practicing for both right now, aren’t you?”

 

“I have to. While they do practice on their own, the dance is not complete if we don’t do it together. I’m a little worried since it has been a while.”

 

“Everything would be alright. As performers, we will all step up to the occasion once we are on stage. Just do what you girls do best, have fun on stage.”

 

“This is really nice, to have you to talk to and you being able to give me advice.”

 

Jiyong gathered Chaerin closer and gave her a kiss on the forehead and then simply rest his forehead against hers. He had to admit it did feel nice. In his previous relationships, there was a lot of fast and furious passion. This gentle and fuzzy warmth that he’s feeling right now was something new to him.

 

Lethargy was catching up the both of them. Just before Chaerin drifted off to sleep, she leaned up and give Jiyong a kiss on the lips.

 

“Oppa, I love you. Goodnight.”

 

Hearing the slightly slurred mumble, Jiyong smiled and shifted so that both of them were in a more comfortable position. He kept his arms loosely wrapped around Chaerin, and watched her sleep. With a kiss on her lips, he too drifted off to dreamland.

 

That night, both of them had the best sleep they had in months. The peace that can be elusive was found when they are with the right person.