02. And Again

Without A Dream

chapter two.
[and again]

listen ; 문을 여시오(Mooneul yeoshio) [Wonder Boyz]

 

It had been three days since Jaemi had received the note. Since she hadn't gotten another one, she assumed that the note hadn't been meant for her. So, she'd pretty much forgotten all about it.

It was a Saturday, and Jaemi was at home, studying, despite the fact that school had only been in for a week now.

As if on cue, her brother strode into the room, wrapping his arms around her from behind, bending over the back of Jaemi's chair. "And what is my lovely little sister doing here all by her lonesome on a Saturday? Shouldn't you be normal and have a date? Or something?"

"Dates would require a boyfriend, or at least someone that was even mildly interested in me," Jaemi answered flatly. "And if you apply that to me...such a boy does not exist."

"That you know of," Jaehyun said with a nod, patting Jaemi's head as if she were a puppy or something of the sort. "I am sure there are just tons of guys waiting in the wings for you to stop being so scary. Maybe if you, I don't know...smiled, then maybe they'd get the guts to actually talk to you. And then at that point, they shall be able to confess their undying love for you!" Jaehyun put his hand to his forehead. "Oh no...then my baby sister would be turned into a woman! I can't breathe!" He pretended to faint, spinning around and landing on Jaemi's bed.

"You're annoying. And distracting," she grumbled, throwing a pencil at him. "Go away."

Jaehyun sat up with a pout. "Shouldn't it be 'Go away oppa'?!" Jaemi turned in her chair slowly and looked at her elder brother. He kept pouting at her, giving her puppy dog eyes. She couldn't resist. "Fine. What do you want me to do, oppa?"

"Get out, enjoy life! Oh! I know! Maybe...you can joing your lonely oppa and go to the grocery store. Umma and appa won't be home until late because of the business party at appa's work. So, we need something for dinner."

Jaemi sighed and set her pen down. "Fine. Let's go." Jaehyun beamed and clapped his hands together, grabbing Jaemi's hair and dragging her out of the house, releasing her once they got out onto the street.

Once they got into the store, Jaehyun grabbed the cart. "Mimi, you can get in the cart if you like~" he said. "It'll be just like when you were five!" Jaemi gave him a look, walking down an aisle. "Oppa, I am definitely not going to get in the shopping cart. Like you said, I was five."

"Tch. Party pooper." Jaehyun scrunched his nose before casually grabbing a package of rice cakes before Jaemi could yell at him.

 

* * * * *

 

On the way out of the store, Jaehyun made sure he was carrying all the heavy bags. He smiled as he took the last heavy bag from Jaemi, giving her a light one. "There we go~ Now my baby sister won't hurt herself."

"You know I can handle carrying a few heavy ones," she grumbled. Jaehyun nodded and pursed his lips. "That may be true, but this way I get a work out. Have to look good for my admirers." He winked playfully, lifting up the bags in one hand, flexing his mucle. "See? Your oppa is looking good."

Jaemi only smiled a little bit and rolled her eyes, walking back towards their house. On the way though, Jaehyun made a noise. "Oh! It's your favorite group of people in the entire world, Jaemi."

Confused, Jaemi followed his gaze, then frowned. The Bangtan Boys were walking out of a noodle house, rowdy as always--except for J-Hope of course, who hung back slightly behind them, simply watching. Jaemi looked at J-Hope curiously but looked away the moment he started to turn his head towards the two siblings.

Jaemi could feel a few pairs of eyes on her as Jaehyun waved to the boys happily. "Hey, guys!"

"Jae!" Jin called back with a grin, waving. "It's getting late. What are you doing out here at night?"

Jaehyun laughed good-naturedly. "I could ask you the same thing, hyung. But to answer your question, my dongsaeng and I were getting stuff for dinner." He grinned and playfully nudged Jaemi, who gave him a look.

"Ah...Jaemi, right?" V asked happily. "You're in my class!"

"Yeah, I am. I kind of sit in front of you." She looked away as one of the other guys snickered, probably Suga or Jungguk. Then Jaemi sighed and took her brother's wrist. "Oppa, come on. Let's go home. I'm hungry."

Jaehyun rolled his eyes and nodded. "Sheesh. Fine. Bye, guys!" He smiled brightly and waved, following Jaemi back to their house.

"Would it kill you to be a little social?" Jaehyun asked, pouting. "Even if you don't like them very much, you could've smiled and said 'hi' or 'hello' or some variation of a greeting, you know. Maybe you'd be friends."

"I doubt it," Jaemi grumbled under her breath, unlocking the door to their house.

 

* * * * *

 

It was Monday. Jaemi hadn't been feeling well, so Jaehyun let her sleep in instead of waking her up early so they could do their morning radio show. He also suggested that she go home, but Jaemi refused. She hated missing school, especially for being sick. It made her feel weak.

So, she picked up her bag and headed out to school. Jaemi had a headache and her stomach wouldn't settle, but she ignored it, continuing to walk to school.

At lunch, her friends noticed she wasn't feeling well. "Hey, Jae," said Joochan, "are you feeling okay?"

"Not really," Jaemi admitted, running her fingers through her hair. "But I'm okay." She her lips and nodded.

"You sure? Maybe you should go home." Misun smiled gently and nodded, reaching over to squeeze Jaemi's hand.

"No, I'm fine. But...I'm going to go back to class before everyone starts rushing to get back. I'll see you guys later."

"Are you sure, Jae? You didn't even eat." Joochan looked worried.

"Yeah. I'm fine. If I eat, I'll probably throw up anyway." Jaemi smiled a little. "Thanks guys, for caring, though." Her friends nodded and smiled, assuring her that's what they were there for.

When Jaemi got back to class, she saw something on her desk. Walking closer, she saw it was a single, long-stemmed red rose. There was also a note underneath its stem. Jaemi picked the rose up and read the note.

This rose reflects your beauty, though it is indeed inadequate. Perhaps a mirror would've been better.

H.

P.S. Please be careful. You're sick. Take some medicine and get some rest. I'm worried about you.

Jaemi blinked. "H," she whispered softly, setting the rose down. So the first note had been meant for her, after all. But now, she didn't know whether to be touched, or scared. Obviously the person cared for her, but that could also be seen as, well...creepy.

But the rose was beautiful, and for this H person to even compare her to it was sweet of him, creepy or not. Smiling a tiny bit, she smelled the rose and tucked the note away in her bag. Now the question burned in her mind brighter than ever. Who on earth was H? Tilting her head, Jaemi went through guys she knew that had an 'H' in their name again, but not one name was promising. Jaemi scrunched her nose up before quickly taking a few non-drowsy meds before the teacher could come in.

Maybe her junior year would be more exciting than she thought. Because now, she had a mystery to solve, and a secret admirer along with it. Even if the whole secret admirer part of it was a joke, she would found out who H was.

No matter what.

 

 


 

author's note

And once more, we see H.

How did you guys like this chapter? ^^

It's shorter, but I promise I'll try to make future chapters longer!!

Comment/Subscribe/Upvote <3

 

Copper.