01. Note

Without A Dream

chapter one.
[note]

listen ; I Like It [BTS]

 

"Good morning, listeners!" came Park Jaehyun's bright voice over Kyungseo High's radio. "This is Kyungseo's eyes and ears, Kyungseo Radio! Whoo!" He smiled and clapped.

"This is Park Jaehyun," he continued. "And I have here beside me, the other DJ of Kyungseo Radio, the beautiful Park Jaemi! Don't get jealous, my fans," he continued dramatically. "Jaemi's not my girlfriend, but my dongsaeng. Put your hearts at ease."

Jaemi laughed over the radio. "Yes, hello, I am Park Jaemi. It's my first time on the radio club, so I hope you'll all support my brother and I."

"Now to wake all of you up on the first day of school, let's listen to something fun!" Jaehyun said happily. "Jaemi, care to introduce our first song?"

"Yes. We have the hit new song 'Female President' by Girl's Day!" Jaemi hit a button and the song started playing.

Automatically, her brother start dancing to it, pursing his lips and moving his shoulders. "Now that we have that started," he said, "let's go to class. Songsaengnim will take over until school starts. Now let's get to class before you get labeled as a class skipper," Jaehyun advised, handing Jaemi her bag and poking her back, pushing her out of the room.

Jaemi sighed and looked around. It was the first day of her junior year at Kyungseo High. This year she was helping her older brother with the radio club since the other members had graduated. She still had two more years until she'd get to graduate, and that thought itself weighed on her. Too long until she'd be out of here and in college, away from the immaturity of high schoolers.

"What's with the sigh?" Jaehyun asked, slinging his arm around Jaemi's shoulders. "I feel like the whole school from crumble from the weight~" he sang.

Jaemi gave Jaehyun a look. "You know what it's about." Her brother nodded and pushed her forehead. "So depressing. Why can't you be happy and cute like other girls your age?"

"Oh. You mean be all cutesy like that towards BTS?" she asked with a scoff. "Ew. I'd rather not drool at a bunch of boys and vie for their attention. I'm still praying for Jimin or V to not be in my class this year. Otherwise I'll have a migraine for the rest of the year."

"Hm." Jaehyun nodded. "Or maybe you actually have a crush on them like everyone else! Maybe you're playing hard to get so they'll notice you! Ha! I've figured my stubborn little sister out!"

"No you haven't," she said, but couldn't help laugh at her elder brother. "Now get away from me and get to class before one of your fangirls forgets I'm your sister."

Jaehyun childishly stuck his tongue out but headed towards his classroom while Jaemi headed towards hers. On the way to her classroom, she spotted them. BTS. Short for a name that meant Bulletproof Boyscouts. There were seven of them in total, and spread out through the different grades. They were a typical jjang group, really. So typical that you could find them in manhwa, probably.

Jin was the eldest. He was supposed to have graduated the year before, but only showed up for class a quarter of the time. The other seniors were Rap Monster (Jaemi didn't know why people called him that. They just did.), Suga, and J-Hope. Jimin and V were juniors, like Jaemi. Then the youngest, Jungguk, was in the year below her.

They didn't respect the rules in general, and had the whole 'bad boy' image. Rap Monster always wore sunglasses, despite the time of day and what teachers told him. And J-Hope usually had a mask on. Jaemi couldn't ever remember seeing J-Hope without his mask on. She'd even seen him wearing a rather scary mask with spikes on it before. Though thankfully, she'd only seen it once. It would have been even worse if he wore that thing at school. Maybe it was the mask, but J-Hope was also quiet. Jaemi had never seen him fool around with the other members.

Sighing as she looked at the girls trying to peek at the boys, Jaemi ducked her head slightly and went into her classroom. Five minutes later, she saw V stride into the room, his uniform's jacket hanging loose over a black T-shirt. He had a crooked grin on, and sat near the back where a few girls automatically went over to him.

Jaemi sighed and shook her head, looking back at her notebook she was doodling in. V himself wasn't bad. When he was by himself, he was bright and cheerful. But around others, he was cocky and obnoxious.

Finally, the final bell rang, and class finally started.

 

* * * * *

 

It was lunch break. Automatically, students either exited the classroom or pulled out their lunchboxes, gathering by their friends. Jaemi got up, going to find her friends since she'd been unlucky enough to get put in a class that none of her friends were in. Oh well. She'd just have to make more friends, it seemed.

But as she exited the room, a body pushed past her. Jaemi's eyebrows furrowed in annoyance as she stepped back against the wall to avoid the crash. Looking, she saw it was Suga, who'd gone to wrap his arm around V's neck and ruffle his hair. Jaemi sighed and turned around, meeting eyes with J-Hope as he passed her.

Their gazes locked for about a second, J-Hope's kohl-rimmed eyes unreadable, the lower half of his face hidden by that mask he always wore. Jaemi was the first to look away, since she was about to run into a door.

*That was weird,* she thought as she walked into the classroom where her two friends Misun and Joochan waited.

"Yo, what's up with your expression?" Joochan asked, poking Jaemi's cheek. "You look like you saw a ghost or something."

"Are you alright?" Misun asked, tilting her head curiously.

"Huh? Yeah, I'm fine." Jaemi shook her head and sat down, taking out her lunchbox. "V's in my class this year," she said with a sigh.

"Lucky!" Misun said with a sigh. "I wish he was in our class. We didn't even get Jimin." She scrunched her nose up unhappily while Joochan rolled her eyes. "Shut up, Mi. I'd know you like to fawn over them, but it gives me a headache." Misun opened to protest, but Jaemi quickly shoved in a mouthful of rice. While Misun pouted, Joochan and Jaemi high-fived each other with a laugh.

 

* * * * *

 

Once the warning bell rang, Jaemi said goodbye to her friends, heading back to her classroom. She put her lunchbox away, taking out her English workbook.

But when Jaemi felt a slip of paper stuck in between the pages, she tilted her head curiously and opened it. It was a note, but it hadn't been there when Jaemi had gathered her books in the morning.

Like diamonds, your eyes shine brightest. Keep your head held high. You're the diamond in the rough.

Yours truly,
H.

Jaemi blinked. "What the...?" she murmured. "Who? How? When...?" She puffed her cheeks out and shook her head, setting the note down. It probably wasn't meant for her anyway, and had been slipped into her book by mistake. Though she had to admit, whoever the note was meant for was either lucky or misfortunate. The note was sweet, but could also be seen as creepy.

Jaemi shrugged and set the note in her bag.

Class started, but as Jaemi tapped her pen against the paper of her workbook, her eyes drifted to her bag. Even though the note was probably meant for someone else, she couldn't help but be curious.

Who was H? Did the reciever know, or were they a mystery person? It could be a girl or a boy. Jaemi tilted her head, thinking of all the guys and girls she knew whose names began with H. But then she gave up.

It wasn't her problem anyway. Or at least that's what she hoped.

 


 

author's note

How do you guys like it? You guys probably already know who 'H' is though, right? ;)

Comment/Subscribe/Upvote <3

 

Copper.