Valentine's Day

Last Wish

-February 14th, 2010: 127 Cranes-

 

"Daebutt, do you know what today is?" you ask playing with the ends of his scarf, the scarf you made him a few Christmases ago. Daehyun shrugs, playing with your hair in turn. The two of you are sitting in a cafe together, claiming a booth all for yourselves. Taking advantage of the space you promptly cling onto his arm, head resting on the curve of his shoulder in the same booth. Daehyun honestly likes the skinship more than he'll ever admit to anyone, though all his friends do about it all the time. Whatever, they're just jealous they don't have a girlfriend as absolutely wonderful as you.

"It's our first Valentine's Day as a couple." you say becoming more and more focused on his scarf. He nods slowly, running a gentle hand through the soft strands of your hair. He knows it is, the day's been on the back of his mind since the start of February. Although, White Day is occupying most of his mind lately.

Similar to Valentine's Day, White Day is a day for couples. However, it's a bigger deal and the guy's half of the bargain. While Valentine's day is when the boyfriends are the receivers, they become the givers on White Day. He's literally been stressing out about White Day since the last day of January. As the date approaches he just grows more and more anxious, unsure what to do for it.

Thankfully, he still has a month to figure what the heck to do.

At least for today he can put those worries on hold. It's your day to freak out.

"It is but, it doesn't feel that different." he replies honestly. Even before being a couple you spent Valentine's Days together anyway and this one, more or less, feels the same as those past three. He feels you nod against him, still fidgeting with the tassels of his scarf.

"That's what I was thinking." you agree a little disappointed. Daehyun stops playing with your hair and peers down at your crumbling expression.

"Hey, don't get upset. There's no need to look so down. Come on, Bu-Santokki, it's Valentine's Day. At least try to make it look like I didn't make you upset." he jokes putting a comforting arm around you. You sink into his touch and nod, expression unchanged. He sighs, nudging your side. "____-ah, seriously, there's no reason to be like this. I don't mind, I like just being here with you. I don't think you know how much you mean to me, honestly." he assures, giving you and encouraging squeeze.

"I did get you something though, does that make this better?" you ask hopefully.

Daehyun pauses, taken aback.

"Oh, you didn't have to—"

"Of course I did! I wanted to, for you! What kind of girlfriend would I be if I didn't get something for my Daebutt?" you exclaim detaching yourself from him with a bright smile. Sliding out of the booth you hold up a finger, glancing at the opposite booth then back at him. "You know what, close your eyes." you add.

Daehyun rolls them instead.

"Don't be like that! Come on, I'm surprised you didn't notice it there before, just humor me." you complain pursing your lips. He grins. You're so much fun to poke at.

"Fine, I will." Then he closes his eyes.

"Okay, just don't expect much because it's not all that great... I just saw it and thought of you." you warn, the noise of crinkling paper joining your voice. Daehyun snorts incredulously. Obviously you don't know how much it means to him that you got anything at all. You could hand him a blank piece of paper and he'd be happy just because it was from you.

"Okay, hold out your hands." you instruct, voice timid. He does as you say without opening his eyes. There are two things placed into his hands. In his left is something thin and rectangular, the card he guesses. In his right is a thicker something, a small box, maybe? "You can open your eyes now. Like I said they're nothing great but I thought you could use them. Don't read the card until you're home though! I'd die if you read it here..." you trail off to a soft mumble.

Daehyun opens his eyes just in time to catch the blush staining your cheeks. He smiles to himself and assesses the gifts. There's another one, a much larger, circular one covered in silvery paper on the table. He decides to start with the little matching silver box.

Carefully tearing it open he peels the wrapping away to get to his present inside. It's not a box. It's a cube of colorful origami paper. Held in a clear plastic case, he turns it in his hands, smiling to himself. All along the sides you've written little dates with a short description.

060812 - Tokki moved to Busan!

060815 - Daebutt wouldn't leave Tokki alone!

061231 - Tokki started to like Daebutt >///<

070214 - Daebutt and Tokki shared cheesecake~

070314 - Daebutt got Tokki a tokki charm -_-;;

070628- Daebutt's first birthday with Tokki~

080214 - Tokki made cheesecake for Daebutt for the first time!

080314 - Daebutt embarrassed Tokki with lots of flowers!

080807 - Daebutt held Tokki's hand on the walk home~

081225 - Tokki knit a scarf for Daebutt!

090108 - Tokki got really sick ㅠㅠ

090110 - Daebutt took care of Tokki!

090214 - Tokki subtly confessed ㅋㅋㅋ~

090314 - Daebutt didn't confess to Tokki like she hoped >.<;;

090425 - Daebutt and Tokki ditched school and ate everything at the market!

090628 - Daebutt and Tokki went to the beach!

090908 - Tokki got sick again...

090909 - Daebutt came to Tokki's rescue!

091119 - Daebutt and Tokki went to the beach again because we're stupid^^

091227 - Daebutt asked Tokki to be his girlfriend!

091231 - We fell asleep on the roof watching the fireworks...

100101 - The start of Daebutt and Tokki's first year together!

100110 - Cranes joined our family!

100214 - Tokki made this box for Daebutt because she loves him~^^

"Read the top too." you say, encouraged by Daehyun's touched smile. He does as you say and smiles all the more.

Daebutt's Wish Box!

(You better finish! There's a surprise at the end~)

Love,

Your Bu-Santokki

"Oh, really a surprise?" he inquires amusedly. You nod looking very proud of yourself.

"There is and you can't see it until you get to the very last piece of paper! Consider it a second motivation," you point at the larger gift on the table, "that's how you'll see your progress. Bet you can't guess what it is!"

Daehyun eyes the round gift thoughtfully for a moment before shrugging.

"I guess I'll just have to open it to find out." And he does so. Pulling the paper away he's confused as to what's underneath. It looks like a giant fishbowl. The more of the paper he tears away he realizes it resembles more of a glass globe topped with a cork than a bowl.

Seeing his befuddlement you laugh and explain, "It's a big jar to keep your little cranes in. When you're done you'll have them all in one place. I'll still string them together but now they'll all be in one place. It'll look pretty when it's full, all the colorful cranes and—" He cuts you off with a tight embrace, startling you. He buries his face into the crook of your neck, your hair tickling his cheek. As you stammer dumbfounded he chuckles, holding you closer.

"Thank you, this means so much to me, ______-ah." Daehyun murmurs, heart fit to burst with how much he absolutely loves the thought you put into his gifts.

"It really wasn't much..." you mumble, making him smile. He doesn't have to see your face to know you're blushing like crazy right now.

"Everything you do means the world to me, don't ever forget that."