A Story

Last Wish

-January 10th, 2010: 34 Cranes-

 

"There's a story that if you fold a thousand paper cranes you'll get a wish." Daehyun explains as you play with the wings of a pale pink crane. He smiles, watching you with a warm feeling in his chest. You're always so distracting when he's trying to fold cranes. It's a little unfair actually. How is it that no matter what you're doing you can always look so cute? It's painfully endearing how easily entertained you are. Redirecting his focus back to the folded paper before him, Daehyun continues with his story telling.

"It's an old myth but, no harm in trying it, right? I have to fold a thousand of these darned things within a year or it won't work. I have about thirty or so done. That's pretty good since I started a few days ago but, I still have a long way to go before I hit even one hundred, let alone a thousand." he exclaims, trying not to think too hard about just how much work this actually is. You glance over the array of colorful cranes on the table then hold out a hand.

"Give me some paper then, I'll help you." you offer, wanting to lessen his load. Daehyun shakes his head.

"You can't, I have to be the one to fold all of the thousand cranes or my wish won't come true. Are you trying to sabotage me or something?" he jokes giving you a mock offended look. You purse your bottom lip into that pout he loves so much and cross your arms stubbornly.

"This myth sure has a lot of rules. I just wanted to help." you mumble frowning at the cranes before you. He chuckles, ruffling the top of your head.

"If you want to help so badly then you can string them together, there's no rule against that." he suggests to lift your dampened spirits. It does. You immediately brighten, frown curving into the smile he loves even more. Who is he kidding? He just loves everything about you. From the way you bite your lip when you think to the way the corners your eyes crinkle when you laugh. He just loves you for being you. Nothing can change that. Nothing will ever change that.

"Okay, I can be your stringer! Now we can do this together. I'll make sure you get a quota each week, if I don't string at least,"—you chew on your lip thoughtfully for a moment. Daehyun just smiles as you think—"twenty per week, then I'm coming after you, Daebutt!"

"I thought you weren't going to call me that anymore. Daebutt isn't exactly the best thing you call your boyfriend—"

You mash a hand into his face to cut him off. "Hey, I'm the one who gets to decide what's the couple thing to do and what's not. I'm the girl here, I make the calls in the relationship, alright?" you state sternly. Daehyun holds up his hands in surrender.

"Alright, I get it. I'm sorry I questioned you, all knowing Bu-Santokki." he replies grinning at you. At the nickname you blush, stammering unintelligibly. He hasn't called you that since you first moved to Busan a few years back. Befriending you right away, honestly feeling bad for the out of place city girl, he made it a point to make you feel welcome. To do so he figured he may as well impose himself upon you with a nickname. Therefore, Bu-Santokki came to be from how cute he's always thought you were and how clever it is.

Here you are, almost four years later and closer than ever. Just this past winter in the falling snow on a rooftop with the Busan scenery surrounding the two of you, did he manage to work up the nerve to ask you to be his girlfriend. It only took those four years but, he finally had the courage to ask you. To his relief and utter joy you said yes. In that moment he saw you in a new light, more radiant and beautiful than before, and he knew he didn't want to ever let you go.

Daehyun may be young, but he knows in his heart that there isn't anyone else in the world who can replace you. There's no one else who can fill his heart with so much happiness. There's no one else he'll ever love.

That's his wish, to be with you no matter what or how much time passes.

Very pleased with himself Daehyun sneaks a quick peck to your flushed cheek and continues his folding where he left off. You're pouting again, embarrassed and still a brilliant red. That's another thing he loves about you, you're so easy to tease. Without a word you cross your arms and turn your back to him, but lean against his arm.

He smiles to himself as he finishes another crane.