Piety

Of Scorched Scales and Wrecked Wings

Well... It's more than a while I left this oneshot set unattended. Oh god, I've felt I've sinned very bad. How could I abandon my precious comrades, mighty dragons? XD This oneshot is inspired by a poem by Jess C Scott, entitled Piety

I hope you still don't lose your amazement on dragons! Then, please do enjoy the second flight, with a hint of warm cold...

Piety

 

Shots of slim arrows pierced the air, chasing a fine stag across the glade. All the arrows stabbed the ground vainly, while the stag kept wading relentlessly through the summer-kissed grass. Once the bowstring was stretched again and loaded with another arrow, the stag had disappeared behind the woods.

 

“Ugh... I miss an easy target...” the bow wielder, a young woman in hunting tunic, groaned.

 

Sounds of cantering horses and barking greyhounds approached her. She looked over her shoulder, glancing at a man on a brown stallion. “I think it’s enough, Your Majesty. The sun has gone low,” said the man, who was nobody but one of Royal Army captains. ”Besides, you’ve caught a big black bear already and it’s much better than a stag.”

 

“But it has nice antlers...” she whined.

 

“Like I expect from Princess Yuri, never have enough thrills for her day.”

 

“You know me well, Yunho!” Yuri let out a gaily laugh at her close friend’s remarks. “Okay then, let’s go back-“

 

Before she even could finish her words properly, her entire body was frozen as she saw a lady standing before a river at the other side of the glade. The setting sun rendered the figure to a shadow silhouette, but the existence of the mysterious lady was empashized by distinct aura surrounded her.

 

Magical, otherworldly, yet also felt unreachable.  

 

Yuri could felt her breath paused for a heartbeat.

 

“Yunho, who is she?” She whispered, eyes still set at the mysterious figure.

 

Yunho shrugged his shoulders. “Hmm, I don’t know. Maybe just a villager near here, but I’ve never seen someone like her.”

 

“Must be a new settler then,” Yuri nodded, but when she looked at the mysterious lady again, she was gone, almost like vanishing to the thin air. She was really stunned beyond words, and as an adventurous youth she was, curiosity started to spark.

 

“Your Majesty! Let’s go!” Yunho nudged her and the hounds barked as if snapping their master out from her trance.

 

Slightly jumping, Yuri nodded and followed him and the hunting party leaving for the castle, whereas her mind still couldn’t leave the mystical stranger.

 

-X-X

 

Yuri paced her black stallion swiftly galloping through sparse region of the woodland, enjoying cool breeze hitting her faces and excitement under the trees. After hours of nothing but sat beside your father, listening to greedy barons talking about taxes and suffocated in a too fancy dress, what is better than some run in the open air? She also brought her bow and a quiver full of arrows with her, just in case if she felt like hunting some small animals.

 

She was so into her ride that she didn’t noticed she’d entered the deep of the forests. Roots of trees crept through the woodland floor, making her horse instinctively slowed down his canter. Yuri stopped the horse and took a brief look at surrounding. Though it was midday, it was strangely dark with only little sunlight penetrated the dense leaves. Surely she reached the part of the forest she’d never explored before.

 

“Shoot... I think I’m lost...” Yuri muttered under her breath.

 

Her ears perked up when she heard faint howls from the forest. The howls became much clearer and closer, accompanied with hungry growls and grunts. Wolves? In the midday? She thought in disbelieve, but pulling out an arrow and loaded her bow nonetheless. She sharpened every of her senses with her bow, ready for pre-emptive attack.

 

Suddenly a wolf pranced from the bush and barged at her. Her stallion luckily could kick the wolf away, but more wolves came and made him lost control of sense of balance and calm. He jerked his forelimbs upwards and neighed loudly.

 

“Wait, Melanos! Calm down!” Yuri shouted in panic and pulled the harness to keep her balance.

 

However, her effort came to vain as the stallion jerked wildly and threw her from the saddle. With a loud thud, Yuri crashed down to the ground. Tangle of roots twisted her ankle as she groaned in pain. Hungry pairs of eyes bundled in dirty grey fur crawled closer to her. Outburst of fight-or-flight adrenaline still failed making her standing on her injured lower limbs. The pack growled and chortled, as if mocking their easy soon-to-be lunch.

 

Yuri’s eyes grew heavier and heavier; collision between her head and a tree stump was a bit too much. In hazed consciousness she witnessed the wolves charged to rip her life to end, when suddenly a loud roar blasted the still air. A roar that intensity was a tenfold of a lion’s roar.

 

It was a roar of... a dragon?

 

The wolf pack cowered and squeaked in fear. The surrounding of her started to blur in her vision, only depicting a scrawny flash of wolfish grey, forest dark, unknown bluish hue and a hand reaching for her, before she fell into unconsciousness.

 

-X-X

 

“Uhh...”

 

Yuri struggled to lift her eyelids in pain. Her body felt numb a bit but she could felt her feet really fine as if a magic healed her injuries. She woke up near a clear river running smoothly. Her mind registered it at instant; it was the river where the mysterious lady stood few days ago.

 

“So, you’re awake already...”

 

A woman in sapphire blue dress with golden locks wiped her temple with a cool wet cloth. Her face showed no emotion, but not her eyes. Yuri felt her breath stopped as she gazed at the crystalline brownish irises deeply; those eyes were full of compassion and piety, so pure and honest.

 

“T...Thanks...”  Yuri mumbled.

 

“Don’t be,” The mysterious lady said without looking at Yuri. The latter was so astonished by the voice she used; so icy and distant.

 

“Was... I fainted for long?” Yuri asked, peering at the low-hanging sun westwards.

 

“Quite long I suppose. Thankfully there wasn’t any wolf around when I found you.”

 

“Ah, the wolves...” the tan noble murmured, “...thank you for chasing them away before...”

 

“It wasn’t me. I just found you in the forest, that’s all,” the lady in blue answered nonchalantly, facing away from the princess. 

 

Liar, Yuri thought as she stared at the stranger’s side profile. I’ve always been a sensible person, but the magical air around you convinced me that you’re the one who chased away the wolves.  She inhaled softly, feeling the ethereal thin presence of magic healed her remaining injury.

 

But then, what was that roar? Looking up again, the sunset-kissed golden strands and her snow-like fair skin brought out an aura of magical dignity glowing around her. A very, very distinct dignity that could’ve only been possessed by magical creatures of legend.

 

Dragons.

 

Was it really coming from you? Are you a human... or...

 

“The night almost falls. You should back to your castle Princess Yuri,” the stranger uttered.

 

“Oh, I guess you’re right...” Yuri stood up, and to her surprise, her body felt very fresh like nothing happened before. “Hey! How do you know my name?”

 

 “You’re a member of royal family, it won’t be a surprise if the whole kingdom knows you.” She pointed at a tree, where a black horse grazing lazily. “It’s your horse, right?”

 

“R...right...” Yuri stuttering, still not believing that her horse didn’t run away after the wolves attack. She believed nothing like those thing will happen without a help of magic. But it’s not like a mage’s magic. It’s like... something different...

 

“Will you stand like that all day?” asked the stranger, breaking Yuri’s trance.

 

“Uh sorry...” Yuri muttered, “...By the way what is your name?”

 

The stranger stared sharply at the tan noble without saying a word. Taken aback, Yuri took this a signal for her to just go and bother that matter no longer, though she felt a bit sad with the rejection. She walked slowly towards her stallion, when suddenly the wind grew stronger and colder against her face. The strong breeze whistled a kind of faint rhythm, almost inaudible, but Yuri’s ears caught something that made her stunned.

 

“Jessica.”

 

Yuri snapped her head back to the stranger.

 

 And she had vanished from there mystically, just like before.

 

“...Is that your name? Then why you always disappeared before me?” Yuri whispered to the wind, hoping it would deliver her question to the mysterious lady, just like the wind brought her the name of the mystical stranger, and brought the answer back to her.

 

However, the only reply she got was rustling silence.

 

-X-X

 

“Hey Jessica.”

 

The blonde maiden didn’t flinch even a bit.

 

Though Yuri was only smiling to it and settled herself beside the blonde maiden.

 

Ever since their encounter, Yuri always rode her horse to the glade, right to the riverside where Jessica always sat silently, gazing to the sky. The princess always sat beside Jessica, only glancing at her, adoring the otherwordly beauty of the silent maiden.

 

Ridiculously, she somewhat reminded of the stories of witches—dreaded women with magic—that her old wet nurse told her ever since little. All of it was the same—they casted a wicked charm so many will be charmed to them, especially the royals.

 

Now her presently very old wet nurse and even a third of the castle believed Yuri was indeed charmed by one.

Jessica isn’t a witch, Yuri shouted inside her mind every time her very elderly wet nurse scolded her before riding to the glade. She was something more magical. Not a witch nor mage, nor even a human. Something else beyond...    

 

In every of their encounter, no words ever exchanged between them. However, from that silence Yuri somewhat felt become closer to the silent lady better than words could express. Comprehending things without any words out, how was that possible? Ask her that and she’d gladly answer with, that’s the magic no witches nor mages but Jessica could cast.

 

Day by day, Yuri was more and more drawn in by the mystical air and dignity around the lady in blue. And her eyes, which always refused to look directly to the tan noble, still glowed with warmth of graceful piety. If Yuri should compare, the summer sun was nothing to the warm of those clear eyes. And her fair skin, though Yuri never had any courage to touch it, really looked as if soft and cool as winter’s snow.

 

 Everytime she saw the mysterious lady, she felt the summers in her life only ephemeral fakeness. Whilst the real, invincible summer lied inside the chocolate orbs of Jessica, framed with wintery grace of hers.

 

Yuri used to laugh at hyperbolic and too eloquently rich description of beauty in romantic lore her educator, the royal head scribe, forced her to read. Yet, now she was tangled in one of those cheesy situation—how she called every of those romantic scenes in stories—she unashamedly admitted she was in love.

 

Yes, there is no more plausible reason that makes you a sudden poet other than that four letters, isn’t it?

 

A yellow-brownish leaf flew and landed on Yuri’s thigh. Out from her trance, she picked it gingerly and observed it under the sun. Beautiful....but somewhat a bit heartfelt.

 

“Oh, autumn is coming...” She pricked the dried leaf between her thumb and index finger. “It’s quiet sad to part with summer, isn’t it?”

 

“Yes, as summer light fades away, autumn will bring forth the falling leaves and mist, concealing what the truth that lies deep beneath.”

 

Yuri perked her head excitedly; finally Jessica managed to voice out some words. However, those words that were out made her forehead scrunched quizzically. “That’s... very poetic,” was the only intelligent thing she could utter.

 

“Would you listen to what your heart say,” Jesica turned her head fully facing her, “or will you only follow what your eyes interpret?”

 

Finally Yuri got the chance to stare right into those eyes again. They’re still full of piety like before. Piety that stole her breath and clenched her heart painfully. No, something’s wrong here.

 

Jessica turned her head back again to the sunset without any more words. Suddenly a gust of wind blew and sheets of dried leaves flew towards them, as a sudden premonition hit Yuri. Out of the blue, she felt very insecure and fearful. She wanted to reach her hand taking Jessica to an embrace, as the mysterious blonde maiden was her source of insecurity and the remedy.

 

Instead, she quickly on her feet and strode away from the blonde maiden. Every steps she took made her only wanted to go back worse.  

 

No, I can’t go back. I even mustn’t turn my head. Because... I’m scared...

 

-X-X

 

 “Frost Dragon?”

 

Yunho nodded. “Yeah, the Archmage said the mist come unmistakably from the power of a frost dragon.”

 

Yuri stared to the hanging mist outside. So thick and so...unnatural to be felt, for mist that scarcely present in autumn. “So, dragons aren’t a mere legend...”

 

“The Archmage also located that the dragon is deep in the heart of the forest.”

 

“I see. Does this creature hold a threat?”

 

“Probably. I plan to deploy a scout troop to investigate.”

 

“You don’t have to.” Yuri abruptly turned around, facing Yunho with determined face. “ I’ll find it out myself and kill the dragon if it’s proven as a threat.”

 

 “But, Your Majesty, it’s too dangerous!”

 

“Please let me!” Yuri shouted. She sighed and spoke again in much more hushed tone, “This is my personal favor to you.”

 

True to be told, Yunho was caught aghast by the princess’ sudden plea. Even though the princess was famous for being a thrill-seeker, facing a dragon alone was out from the question. However, if this was only another thrilling fun for Yuri, he wouldn’t see the seriousness glazing her eyes. “Alright then, I’ll ask the Archmage for your necessary preparation. But may I ask you why?”

 

“Because...,” Yuri casted a mysterious, melancholic smile, “my heart tells me to...”

 

Follow my heart, like you said, Jessica.

 

-X-X

 

Stalking carefully between tangling roots underneath, Yuri placed her feet in swift but careful pace tearing past the heart of the forest. Often she would stop and strung the bowstring, checking the liability of her weapon, or inspected the mercury-coated arrowheads of her ammunition.

 

Mercury-coated arrows will bring an instant death for dragons, advised the archmage. Even so, please use every one of them wisely.

 

The air around her became icier suddenly and the mist also got thicker. The cold air stabbed even beneath her hunting cloak and steel-plated leather armor.

 

The frost dragon must be near.

 

Suddenly her feet caught between a loop of root. She fell down, her body rolled past the thorny bushes that cut her face. With a groan she pulled herself up and almost fell again, due to her surprise of what lied before her eyes.

 

A frozen small lake lied in front of her eyes. Clear blue water flowed under the frozen thick ice sheet, joining with a stream of river that flowed to the glade. But the thing that surprised her the most was a silver blue dragon lied in a deep slumber, in oblivion to whatever around. Gust of frost mist emanated slightly from its nostrils and between the strong jaws.

 

Yuri forced her trembling hands to pull out an arrow. Damn, why I’m trembling? The dragon is fast asleep, a good chance to hunt it down!  She notched the arrow on the string, but right before she could unleashed the killing, the dragon’s eyes fluttered open, peering right to her.

 

Those eyes.

 

Her arms trembled  greatly and threw down her bow and arrow down to the frozen ground.

 

They’re Jessica’s eyes.

 

Hesitantly, she took baby steps forwad. “...Is that you, Jessica?”

 

The dragon raised her head slightly, as if beckoning the princess to come closer.

 

“Yes, it’s you...”

 

Yuri ran across the ice sheet, fear not of slipping or falling down the cracked ice, and threw her body buried to the dragon’s ice cold body.

 

“Now I know the reason why you’re so aloof,” Yuri looked up at the dragon, tears trailed softly from her glassy eyes. “You’re afraid I’ll run away from you after I see you in this form.”

 

The dragon bellowed in a melancholic grunt and curled her neck lower, hiding her horned head from the princess’ view.

 

A faint breeze of air blew caressing Yuri’s hair, whispering chime of words to her ears.

 

Only in summers I’m a beautiful maiden for you, whilst for the rest I’m a terrifying dragon.

 

“Even you’re an ugly beast or a demon, I won’t run away, because you’ve taken my heart first...” Her figers ran affectionately atop cold scaly hide.

 

No, the faint breeze whispered again,  you’ve stolen mine first.

 

Waves of overflowing emotion washed every energy left on Yuri, letting her body succumbed to the dragon’s side. She leaned her head feeling the dragon’s massive chest rose and fall rhytmically, closing her eys listening to the quiet heartbeat deep beneath the thick scales.  

 

She could felt it. She could felt it all through her closed eyes. The silvery thick cold scales softened, what was felt against her skin was a delicate skin, as cool as first snow. Warmth of the dragon’s life force enveloped her like a fragile arm pulled her in for an embrace.

 

And when Yuri opened her eyes, the beautiful face of Jessica smiled warmly to her, with her pair of brown orbs full of love and piety was staring back at her. 

 

-X-X

 

Yunho massaged his temples after reading the scout team’s report, only to find another vain result again. It had been the mid-autumn, yet Yuri hadn’t been able to be found. Uncountable number of times he had deployed the reconnaissance troop deep down the forest, where the frost dragon lied. He was really frustrated, for that uncountable attempts, no trace of the princess’ existence was ever found, moreover her dead body.

 

It gave him a thin hope to find her alive, but at the same time greater dismay.

 

“You don’t have to look for Her Majesty, Yunho.”

 

“Jaejoong...” He looked over his shoulder, whilst the Archmage eyed him with his wise eyes. ”What do you mean?”

 

“Did you notice Princess Yuri disappeared right after she was looking for the frost dragon?”

 

“Yes,” Yunho sighed, ”We have the worst thought that Her Majesty is slain by the dragon, although we couldn’t find her body yet...”

 

Jaejoong smiled, shaking his head softly. “No, it didn’t happen. Instead, it was the opposite.”

 

“What are you trying to say, Jaejoong?”

 

“Come with me.”

 

Puzzled, Yunho just followed Jaejoong to the archmage’s chamber. He paid no heed to sorcery paraphernalia that stuffed the archmage’s chamber, except for a crystal ball in the middle. The crystal ball glowed, showing a frost dragon curled in tranquil, enveloping a human figure covered in snowflakes.

 

In that second, Yunho widened his eyes, recognizing the human figure instantly.

 

“Fear not, Yunho. The force that brought them together not a witchcraft or violence. It was their hearts’ will,” Jaejoong whispered, touching his shoulder reassuringly.  “I’ve never seen her face that peaceful before. Can’t you see that?”

 

Yunho said nothing but smiled.

 

With a sincere, eternal smile that painted on Yuri’s frozen face, it was really clear she had found the place where she could rest her heart in real peace.

 

-X-X-

Hmm, come to think of it, this one is less angsty compared to TaeNy one, doesn't it?*unsatisfied* I want to make the next one more tears-jerking mwahahahaha~

Till the next flight, guys! FZ_DracoHart peace...and fly away!