A Maiden's Heart

Of Scorched Scales and Wrecked Wings

Hey guys, sorry for the very long delay! I've been busied with family thingies and I finished watching Bloody Monday dorama instead finishing this!XD But can't help it yea, Bloody Monday is hella cool..

Enough of my chit-chat crap! Now prepare yourself for your first flight with Taeyeon and Tiffany! Locksmiths, enjoy the flight...and bring some tissues with you just in case...

 

A Maiden’s Heart

 

A 10-year old girl slept under an apple tree, snoring lightly in the corner of a big courtyard. After hours doing various house chores around the huge of castle Duke Hwang, nothing was better than lazing around under the shady three.

 

But her peaceful rest was disturbed as some water splashed onto her face.

 

“Yargh, who disturbed my sleep!” Taeyeon snapped as she was rudely awoken.

 

“Aww, Taetae is mad~!” A young girl dressed in fancy but dirtied dress giggled, showing her eyesmile.

 

“L...Lady Tiffany!” Taeyeon gawked at the red-haired girl. “I’m sorry for shouting at you! I deserve a punishment!”

 

“Punish you?” Tiffany smirked playfully. Taeyeon only gulped nervously. “Well... your punishment is... this!” She tackled the older girl to the ground and tickled her frantically. Knowing how ticklish Taeyeon was, soon the older girl was laughing unstoppably under her.

 

“Ah...hahaha! Please...stop-... hahaha! It!”

 

“This is for shouting at me and calling me ‘Lady Tiffany’!”

 

“Okay...hahaha...I’m s-sorry Fany!”

 

Tiffany smiled in victory while sitting on Taeyeon stomach. “That’s better. Apologize accepted!”

 

“Thanks Tiffany. Now can you get off from me?” Taeyeon grunted and sighed in relief as she felt the younger’s weight shifted away.  Tiffany stared at her with a big smile that can’t help but made the older chuckled. “You seem very high today. What’s with the occasion?”

 

“Taetae, I met a baby dragon!” Tiffany beamed. “ It was very small and badly hurt, so I decided to help. His name is Regiror!”

 

Taeyeon lifted her right eyebrow, seemed not believing her noble friend.  “Is it? I think you’re just pulling pranks on me. I don’t believe you!”

 

“Taetae, I don’t lie! Period!” Tiffany pouted.

 

“Yeah yeah... And how you treat the baby dragon anyway?”

 

“It’s a secret~!”

 

“Aww...” Taeyeon pulled a playful frown. But then she noticed Tiffany’s words and her dirty dress and scolded her. ”Hey! You sneaked out of the castle again? Aigoo, stop it already, Lady Tiffany! Duke Hwang would behead me with a guillotine if he knew!”

 

“Taetae~ stop calling me Lady Tiffany! And I‘ll never let my dad kill you!”

 

Taeyeon only grinned in dork-like way. “Well if I die, how could I keep my promise to always make you happy?”

 

And they broke their merry laughter together.

 

-X-X

 

12 years later...

 

Two guards lifted the portcullis and opened the gate, letting Taeyeon rode her horse entering the courtyard. She got off from her horse handed the harness to a stable boy. She groaned as she straightened her strained back. Delivering messages to numerous noble residences in two consecutive days was really tired her. But that was the duty she had to carry on as one of most trusted assistant of the Duke.

 

“Boy, two days riding here and there is really tiring!” Taeyeon sighed while crossing the courtyard, heading to her quarter. “Some sleep sound really good...”

 

“You’re home finally Taetae.”

 

The familiar voice halted her tracks. She her heels and bowed respectfully, “Ah, my lady.”

 

“You don’t have to bow too deep Taetae, after all we’re equal. Besides, did I just hear you call me ‘my lady’ again?”

 

“Hehe... sorry... Habits die hard!” Taeyeon grinned.

 

Now Taeyeon was no longer an ordinary servant. Thanks to her undeniable loyalty to Duke Hwang for years, she was knighted and became one of few people the Duke really trusted. Although her social status had risen, she remained humble as always. Still, some people, mostly from upper society, didn’t like her for being suddenly risen into nobility.

 

“It’s a bit unusual for you in here in this time. Something bothers you?”

 

“No, I just want to be with you.” Tiffany sat on nearby bench and pat her side, asking Taeyeon to join her. “ Is that a matter?”

 

Taeyeon’s heart skipped a beat and quickly sat beside her. “Of course not!”

 

Tiffany fiddled with her fingers while glanncing at her knight friend. “Taetae, I keep a secret from you since we were little. Please don’t mad at me!”

 

“Why should I mad at you? As a best friend, I should respect your privacy right?” Taeyeon reassured. Somehow, the ‘best friend’ word was hard for to utter.

 

“That’s why I’m here with you, I want to tell you what is it...” Deep shade of red painted Tiffany’s cheeks. ”Ever since I was a child, I always want... to be... your bride...”

 

Taeyeon said nothing, as she was too dumbfounded and strangely happy with the confession. However, she suddenly felt very self-conscious with herself, especially with their social background difference. “Tiffany, I think... I don’t deserve you. There are lots of noblemen who are better than me for you, and they’re more than happy to be with you.”

 

“No Taetae! I don’t want any of those selfish nobles! I just want to be with you! And I know Dad soon will arrange my marriage!”

 

“Duke Hwang only wants the best for you, my lady... And I’m just a mere peasant with a sudden luck to become a noble...”

 

“You call me ‘my lady’ again!” Tiffany snapped, tears almost broke from her eyes. ”Taeyeon, you’ve always promised to make me happy! And it’s together with you that make me happy, not that abhorred arranged marriage! That’s why I tell you this now!” She abruptly stood up with teary eyes, leaving Taeyeon behind.

 

‘”Wait Lady...I mean, Tiffany-!”

 

A huge shadow suddenly broke in with a thunderous sound. The guards quickly surrounded the thing to put halt of it but no avail as its talon-armed forelimbs broke the line easily. Taeyeon drew her sword and stepped in front of Tiffany as the huge beast closing in. Her eyes widen realizing what it was; a huge black dragon.

 

The dragon leaped to the air, spreading its wings before dove right to her direction, its forelimb pointed forward. She braced herself, but to her surprise the dragon didn’t attack her, instead the dragon taking Tiffany in between sharp claws.

 

“Tiffany!”

 

“Don’t worry Taeyeon! I know you can save me!”

  

Taeyeon gritted her teeth as the dragon soared away, bringing the noble lady away from the castle. But she found it was strange that Tiffany wasn’t much panicked when the dragon took her away. And her last words before the dragon took her away... What those were actually mean?

 

Nonetheless, Taeyeon swore she would take Tiffany back, no matter what.

 

-X-X

 

It had been weeks since the day Tiffany was abducted by a dragon. Duke Hwang had tried to send the guards to take her daughter back many times. None of them had succeeded. He knew he couldn’t keep sacrificing his own soldiers, so he desperately announced that any noblemen, or ordinary but surprisingly mighty men, who could save Tiffany would be allowed to take her hand in marriage. Even though he didn’t like it, he had to admit he used this too as a chance to find the right suitor for his only daughter.

 

Many noblemen, even some daring ordinary men, tried the quest to win the Duke’s daughter but all of them never succeeded. Even the Crown Prince had to back with his head hung low upon his defeat to the black dragon. This made Duke Hwang grew restless every day, but someone was much more restless than the Duke himself; Taeyeon.

 

Every time the report of failed noblemen’s quest for saving Tiffany arrived, she felt worried yet somehow relieved. She was worried Tiffany hadn’t come back safely, but how come she felt relieved too? It’s all wrong...Taeyeon thought, Is it because my selfishness wouldn’t allow Tiffany to marry someone else...other than me?  She quickly shook that away from her head.

 

She decided to have an audience with the Duke. A servant led her way to the Duke’s working room. In his working room, Duke Hwang lost in deep thought while staring at a painting of him with young Tiffany and her deceased mother, his beloved wife, Duchess Hwang. He was lost in his thought that he barely acknowledged Taeyeon’s presence.

 

“My lord...” Taeyeon called out politely yet hesitantly.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry Taeyeon...” Duke Hwang spoke softly, turning around to face his trusted servant. “I wonder if my wife was here, she would tell me off, hm?”

 

The young knight kept silent, unsure to how to response. Death of Duchess Hwang was a great grief for both her lord and Tiffany. And now he had to cope with the abduction of his only daughter. No matter how she empathized, she would never be able to fathom what her lord’s felt from the loss of his wife and daughter.

 

“I’m sorry again, I’ve turned a bit melancholic these days,” he chuckled sadly. “Anyway, what matters that bring you here, Taeyeon?”  

 

”My lord, would you allow me to embark to a journey for saving Lady Tiffany?” Taeyeon said without any moment of hesitation.

 

Duke Hwang scrunched her temple upon her request.  “Taeyeon, you’re almost like my own daughter and also Tiffany’s dearest friend. I know you’re my trusted knight, despite what others said, but I have a silent promise with Tiffany to keep you safe. If Tiffany couldn’t come back, at least I have to keep my last promise to her.”

 

“With all respect, my lord, Lady Tiffany is my best friend. Doing nothing in here but watching her taken by a dragon is really unsettling and hurt my pride. It’s more than a duty as a knight to her lady, my lord; it’s my compassion to a... friend.”

 

Taeyeon was telling Duke Hwang the truth, or at least most of it was truth, as she had to admit the last part was a doubt. Because she knew Tiffany wasn’t her friend...but something more. And if she succeeded in saving Tiffany, she had no worries to see her more-than-friend married anyone, at least for a while.

 

After some time of decisive thinking, Duke Hwang sighed, “Alright Taeyeon, you can go... But please, take care of yourself, and try your best to save Tiffany.”

 

“Certainly, my lord,” Taeyeon nodded firmly before leaving the Duke’s working chamber.

 

-X-X

 

With a day ride and instructions, or rather warnings, from the guards, she arrived before a mouth of a large cave. She had tied her horse somewhere near the cave and proceeded to enter the dragon’s lair. It was strangely well-lit for a big cave, not dark like she always imagined.  She caught a waving big shadow projected on the cave wall, unmistakably the dragon’s. Taeyeon unsheathed her sword and tighten her grip to her shield.

 

Suddenly the black dragon emerged from the back of the lair and shot a stream of fire. Taeyeon swiftly sidestepped and blocked the dragon’s tail whip. The dragon breathed fire again and she swerved the attack, quickly dashed towards the right foreleg of the dragon and slashed it. The dragon growled and swatted his attacked leg, sending Taeyeon knocked away.

 

“It... only scratch the dragon!” Taeyeon groaned as she rose from the assault. “But people said underside scale of a dragon is much softer than any other parts...”

 

Soon a risky plan formed in her head. She dashed  right under the dragon, but the dragon seemed read her movement as he clawed against the knight. Taeyeon brought her shield to protect her from the impact and dug her heels deep to kept her balance.

 

“Damn it! This dragon is strong!” She growled as she snarled right to the dragon’s eyes.

 

And something strange happened.

 

The dragon suddenly turned calmer, ferocity in his eyes became something like...joy? Even his angry growls turned into lighter ones. What in the hell is happening? That dragon seems happy to see me! Taeyeon observed the dragon behind her shield. I must be imagining things! I’d better slay this creature soon!

 

Taeyeon charged forward to attack, yet strangely the dragon stayed unmoving. This should be a good chance for her, but somehow she was also hesitated to attack, like something bad would happen afterwards.

 

Eventually she ignored her hesitation and leaped, sinking her blade right in the dragon’s heart. Ear-splitting cry shrilled from the dragon’s throat before he fell to the ground. Taeyeon wobbly stood up and  pulled out her sword. A triumphant smile broke on her face as she watched the dragon laid limp, blood oozing from his chest.

 

“Tiffany is must be here!” Taeyeon eagerly ran towards the back of the cave. “Tiffany! I’m here! Where are... you...”

 

Her steps were halted, so was her heart, as she saw a red-haired woman laid with crimson liquid seeped out from her chest.

 

“T..Taeyeon...”

 

“Tiffany!” Taeyeon dropped her sword and shield and ran towards the dying girl. ”Who did this to you? Tell me!”

 

“No, it’s nobody. Just my folly from the past...”

 

“Wait, Tiffany, what do you mean?”

 

“Do you still remember, when we were little I told you I helped a dying baby dragon?” Tiffany whispered and coughed. A sudden flashback played in Taeyeon’s mind, back to their childhood, and she found her eyes staring unbelievingly at Tiffany’s dim ones.  ”It’s... the same dragon you’ve just slain

 

 “T-This make no sense!” Taeyeon shook her head furiously.

 

“I was... so naive that time and I used Hartlinke spell... to heal Regiror. “

 

“But... that means if either one of you are dead, both of you will die!”

 

“I know. I thought as a dragon, he was strong enough to take care of himself so I didn’t worry much about him. Regiror took me to here, but it was just because I wanted and asked him to do so...” Tiffany glanced at the dying dragon. “But I’d rather stay with Regiror here than have my hand taken by any of those greedy noblemen! So I let Regiror fight off any nobles who came to here, but then you came to here. Regiror and I knew that was you so he tried to tell you to stop so I could go to meet you.” She coughed again, blood trickling down from the corner of . ”However, I think the plans just go wrong...”

 

“Tiffany, hang in there please!” Taeyeon sobbed, hugging Tiffany closer to her.

 

“No... I don’t have too much time...” Tiffany sighed bitterly. ”But I beg you Taeyeon, please don’t hate Regiror. I even grateful I met him and share my heart with him, because he was the only one who understood my heart fully. He took me out from the castle for my longed freedom, and he also felt my heart’s yearning for you. So, that’s why he faked this kidnapping, because he knew you’d come after me and that’s the only way we can be together. But I think destiny says otherwise...”

 

The knight’s tears fell, wetting the maiden’s pale face. “I’m a real moron, even a beast understand you better. Thank you Regiror...” Taeyeon smiled genuinely at the dragon, and the dragon replied with a light grunt. ”...A-and I’m so sorry Tiffany...”

 

“Don’t be... At least I could taste a little time of freedom with you Taeyeon...” Tiffany mustered her remaining strength for her last smile. ”Freedom to love you. It makes my life complete, and I want no more things.”

 

“No, no... Don’t leave me Tiffany...”

 

“Thank you for everything, Taeyeon...”

 

With Regiror’s last growl, his flame of life died. With Tiffany’s last sigh, she closed her eyes forever. With the drowning dead silence, Taeyeon’s mournful cry reverberated through the dark.

 

-X-X

 

Just like other stories, all was ended with a last single sword stab.

 

However, the aftermath was otherworldly different.

 

No glorious conqueror’s cry. No thankful sobs of the distressed damsel. No cantering mighty horse, delivering the lady and the savior knight back to the castle.

 

 Only a lifeless dragon corpse, a crying knight and a dead beautiful maiden in her hands.

 

-X-X-

 

Kinda inspired by Dragonheart movie for the spell, and I dunno why I named the spell with Germanistic name...sounds quite cool eh?:D Oh and I'm a bit teary while writing the ending...*sniff*

Thank you for reading! Feel free to drop your thoughts and comments or even your flame for me not writing a happy ending!XP

G'night all! I have to sleep before I... *sniff* cry for real!