We are JUST friends!!!!!

Lee Taemin's Ji-Ara

It was then that I noticed that he was shaken as well.  He jumped off his seat too.  “Me?” he asked.  “More like you!”
 

And the elderly ladies just stared at us.  My mother went on “Don’t be surprised my dear.  I know you guys did not talk, but you are back together again.  That’s fate!”
 

Ajumma nodded too.  “That’s true love.  Despite everything that happened, you guys are back together.” She said wistfully.
 

Me and Taemin looked at each other then back at them.  They seriously thought we loved each other?
 

In the blink of an eye, we both burst out laughing while our mothers looked at us as though we went crazy.
 

“Mum, Taemin is mean and too mischievous for my tastes!” I said.
 

“And Ji-Ara is too boyish, does not like banana milk and she has freakish mood swings” Taemin said.
 

We both agreed about the description of each other.
 

“We are not in love.  What made you guys think that?” I asked.
 

They both looked at me as though I grew a tail.
 

“You guys are always together.  You could not be separated when you were kids, and you both cried when Taemin left for training.” Ajumma said and my mother nodded.
 

“We are best friends, not a couple.  Of course I love her, but just as a friend.” Taemin clarified and I nodded.
 

Our mums still looked dazed so we left them with the excuse of getting some drinks from the canteen.

Taemin laughed.  “I wonder what my hyungs would tease me about this if they ever heard that!”
 

I chuckled.  “By the way, how can you still like banana milk? It’s disgusting! I thought Seoul would improve your tastes a little” I chided.

 

“Banana milk is the best” he said and as suspected, got himself a banana milk!
 

“Can you imagine what life would be like if we were actually married?” Taemin asked and I could see the horror our future would be.

 

“We both are slobs, so our house would probably look like pigs were living inside” he stated, quite proudly actually, and I laughed at his tone.

 

“we both hate laundry” I added and we both knew we’d fight over who would do the laundry every week.

“I love food and you hated cooking.” He said and I nodded.  “Besides, if you love food, you can make them yourself” I added.

“Oh and you love meat and I can’t have beef” I stated.

“Our life together would be hell” he said and I nodded.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

****Back at my mum’s hospital room****

 

“See?” ajumma exclaimed as soon as we came in laughing.  “You guys are always together, laughing.  No wonder we misinterpreted things.”

We just frowned.

“But seriously, it’s about time you guys think about your future” my mum said and before I could retort, she added “Individually”.

“There’s plenty of time.” Taemin said as he plopped himself on the seat beside my mum.
 

“But how will you guys find other people if you are always together?” Ajumma asked.
 

“I just got back, so did he.  We aren’t always together” I defended.
 

Ajumma crossed her arms and said “Oh really? Didn’t Taemin asked you and Anna to move to Seoul for the rest of your stay?”

That was a point, I admit. “Well yes, but he will-“
 

My mother interrupted with “And even Anna thought you two were a couple”
 

I sighed.  “What do you want me to do?”
 

“I am not forcing you to do anything.  But it is about time you started thinking about your future.  Both of you”

We nodded.
 

That night, I, Taemin and Anna were having a drink on the backyard, admiring the stars.

Anna chuckled again.  “I really thought you guys were together”

I glared at her.

 

“But you know, your mothers have a point.  You cannot always go on like this.  Eventually you guys would need to find someone.”
 

“There just isn’t anyone I like” Taemin said.
 

“Besides, if you are always together like this, other people will think you guys are a couple and you won’t ever find anyone you like” Anna said and I nodded.  We have been together almost all the time since that day!
 

“Wait,” Anna exclaimed suddenly.  “You guys know each other since childhood right?”
 

We nodded.

“Why don’t you guys find someone for each other?” she suggested.
 

“Not a bad idea” Taemin said.  “You know me so you know the type of girl I like” he said.  After a moment, he said “And I know your kind of guy.”
 

I shrugged.  “Might worth a shot”
 

Taemin got up and said “Great, I’ll find a strong, confident guy for you who have worldly experience” he said the last bit with a mischievous look.  I kicked him in the shin and he avoided again with a chuckle.
 

He wished us goodnight and left.
___________________________________________________________________________________

 

After my shower, Anna came into my room.  “So any girl in sight for him?” she asked, with an angelic smile.

“I don’t know.  I will have to think”  she was acting weird!

“you know,” she positioned herself right in front of me, “sometimes the right one is just before the eyes”

I looked at her and I laughed. “You mean you, don’t you?”

She blushed.

“You know, you are not his type, right?”

She pulled on a sad face then shrugged, “Worth a try.  What’s his type anyways?”

“Hmmm, I think, someone pretty and sweet.  I am thinking mostly innocent. Oh and yes, a girl who will probably only see Taemin and no other guy”

“Good luck with that” she said.

“I hope he finds me the kind of guy I like.  Like Jonghyun’s manliness and Minho’s aloofness.” I said, getting butterflies in my stomach already thinking about those two.